Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 363461 times)

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
Re: Holidays
« Reply #1100 on: Saturday 24 November 2012, 08:12:02 PM »
Heading to Colorado in January for a bit of snowboarding and (most importantly) to drink some fantastic craft beers - and visit my parents.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #1101 on: Sunday 25 November 2012, 12:16:14 AM »
Heading to Colorado in January for a bit of snowboarding and (most importantly) to drink some fantastic craft beers - and visit my parents.

Afterthought :lol: :laugh:

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #1102 on: Sunday 25 November 2012, 05:57:16 AM »

Afterthought :lol: :laugh:

:pow:
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline RR15

• General Member
« Reply #1103 on: Sunday 25 November 2012, 09:54:11 AM »
Yesterday my mate booked and confirmed the date of his wedding.

Saving for Las Vegas starts now :megusta:

Sophie S

« Reply #1104 on: Tuesday 27 November 2012, 09:30:41 PM »
Went to Myanmar the other week and had a mixed experience.

Arrived in Mandalay from Bangkok and wasn't that impressed. I didn't do much research in to Mandalay as I thought I’d just turn up and check the place out but I found it to be a bit of let down. Some people I met did go up the hill in Mandalay which is supposed to be good but I didn't get round to that. All in all I found Mandalay to be very similar to Kathmandu without the Tamil area for tourists. The town itself was just a bit of a dump really, noisy and a lot of fumes.

O0 Thanks a lot, great to hear from someone who's just been there. We definitely decided to skip Myanmar and instead only do Vietnam and Cambodia on our Christmas-trip, still very sad about it (especially when reading about Bagan), but I feel it's the right decision. Just wondering though: Did you find it hard to book accomodation? I've read that it's pretty hard to prebook via Internet, and that recently a lot of places have run out of hostel space, due to the amount of visitors coming!

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #1105 on: Tuesday 27 November 2012, 09:33:41 PM »
Doing a week in the Caymans with the girlfriend and her family first week of January  :celb:

Offline macphisto

• General Member
« Reply #1106 on: Wednesday 28 November 2012, 09:58:01 AM »

Arrived in Mandalay from Bangkok and wasn't that impressed. I didn't do much research in to Mandalay as I thought I’d just turn up and check the place out but I found it to be a bit of let down. Some people I met did go up the hill in Mandalay which is supposed to be good but I didn't get round to that. All in all I found Mandalay to be very similar to Kathmandu without the Tamil area for tourists. The town itself was just a bit of a dump really, noisy and a lot of fumes.

O0 Thanks a lot, great to hear from someone who's just been there. We definitely decided to skip Myanmar and instead only do Vietnam and Cambodia on our Christmas-trip, still very sad about it (especially when reading about Bagan), but I feel it's the right decision. Just wondering though: Did you find it hard to book accomodation? I've read that it's pretty hard to prebook via Internet, and that recently a lot of places have run out of hostel space, due to the amount of visitors coming!

I read that too about limited hotels but that didn't seem to be a problem in Bagan or Mandalay. The hotels were a little pricey, I paid around $65 for the place in Mandalay (I pre-booked online using Agoda) and in Began I paid around $35 a night (booked through booking.com). I spoke to a lot of other travellers who just turned up and found a place without any problems.

I don't know your budget in Vietnam but if you go to Hanoi then I would really recommend this place http://www.hanoicharminghotel.com/charming2.html Around £30 a night and the place is fantastic, great customer service, great location and the price is good. I travel to Vietnam for work and have a hotel budget of around £150 a night but I always stay in this hotel.

Offline macphisto

• General Member
« Reply #1107 on: Wednesday 28 November 2012, 10:01:57 AM »

I forgot to ask, when are you in Cambodia over Christmas? I'm going to be there for Christmas too, we arrive on the 23rd for five days before touring Thailand. Really looking forward to the trip!

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #1108 on: Wednesday 28 November 2012, 10:16:25 AM »
Make sure to have some fish or chicken amok. So, so nice.

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #1109 on: Wednesday 28 November 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
think I'm going back to Chicago again for a week in late March and then will find someone else to stay with for the week after.  Think it clashes with that very American student tradition of "SPRING BREAK! WOOOO!"  I know someone in Charleston so might go there then combine it with Myrtle Beach.  It's that, or go back to New Orleans again and get incredibly drunk and dance to a shitload of blues and jazz.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #1110 on: Wednesday 28 November 2012, 11:17:41 AM »
think I'm going back to Chicago again for a week in late March and then will find someone else to stay with for the week after.  Think it clashes with that very American student tradition of "SPRING BREAK! WOOOO!"  I know someone in Charleston so might go there then combine it with Myrtle Beach.  It's that, or go back to New Orleans again and get incredibly drunk and dance to a shitload of blues and jazz.

Very jealous, Chicago is class and always wanted to go to New Orleans as well.

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #1111 on: Wednesday 28 November 2012, 11:22:11 AM »

Very jealous, Chicago is class and always wanted to go to New Orleans as well.

aye, been to both twice, which is why I'm considering Charleston over NO.  Lass I'm staying with in Chicago stayed with me at Easter having flown over while studying abroad in Madrid so I'm just getting a favour returned in that sense.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Sophie S

« Reply #1112 on: Wednesday 28 November 2012, 11:01:47 PM »

I forgot to ask, when are you in Cambodia over Christmas? I'm going to be there for Christmas too, we arrive on the 23rd for five days before touring Thailand. Really looking forward to the trip!

I don't actually think we'll be in Cambodia over Christmas. The plan was first to go up the coast in Vietnam and then maybe around the 10th of January down to Cambodia. Have you ever been to the beaches in Cambodia before (around Sihanoukville or them little islands close by)? And would you say they are better or not as good as Vietnams beaches? I definitely want to finish the trip with a few days lazying on the beach.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #1113 on: Wednesday 28 November 2012, 11:05:10 PM »

I don't actually think we'll be in Cambodia over Christmas. The plan was first to go up the coast in Vietnam and then maybe around the 10th of January down to Cambodia. Have you ever been to the beaches in Cambodia before (around Sihanoukville or them little islands close by)? And would you say they are better or not as good as Vietnams beaches? I definitely want to finish the trip with a few days lazying on the beach.

Sihanoukville beaches are good, go to Monkey Island as well it's nice there.  Vietnam has some good beaches as well nowhere near as good as Indonesia or Thailand beaches mind.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #1114 on: Wednesday 28 November 2012, 11:09:52 PM »

Sihanoukville beaches are good, go to Monkey Island as well it's nice there.  Vietnam has some good beaches as well nowhere near as good as Indonesia or Thailand beaches mind.

Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Sophie S

« Reply #1115 on: Wednesday 28 November 2012, 11:33:36 PM »

That was the one I played.  :)

Which one is Monkey Island? They all seemed to be called Koh something down there...

Offline Neil

• General Member
  • The stretched twig of peace is at melting point
« Reply #1116 on: Thursday 29 November 2012, 12:10:59 AM »
Pieces o'eight!
Thomas the Tank Engine is a f***ing c***.

Offline Luc

• General Member
« Reply #1117 on: Tuesday 11 December 2012, 10:18:16 PM »
I'm going to Tenerife thursday. Anyone ever been there? Some things to visit or do, nightlife etc?

Offline Scoreboard82

• General Member
« Reply #1118 on: Thursday 20 December 2012, 11:32:10 PM »
Gonna try Croatia next summer. 10 nights, very near Dubrovnik. The Lapad Peninsula. Not sure what to expect but will give it a go.

Offline TaylorJ_01

• General Member
  • Nearly funniest poster 2015
« Reply #1119 on: Friday 21 December 2012, 04:16:35 AM »
Croatia :smitten:
I am currently happy. Its weekend. Time to unwind after a stressful work days.

Offline Ronaldo

• General Member
  • Is that you, Mustard?
« Reply #1120 on: Tuesday 8 January 2013, 11:11:45 PM »
Not a holiday as such but I took my girl to London for 3 nights this weekend gone. Honestly one of the best trips I've ever had anyway, and I've been everywhere. I know London has its detractors but we took in a musical, saw a few sights and ate at some incredible restaurants. We stayed in Kensington/Chelsea and the bars round there are full of character and great fun for a few pints - good decision not to stay too central.

She dragged me to the Christmas market thing in Hyde Park too. 70% there seemed to be either French, Spanish, Chinese or American and for whatever reason the atmosphere was absolutely utopian-like. Don't know if it was the warm January temperatures, live music, beer, dancing, food or what but I've literally never seen so many people that seemed so happy to be where they were.

Fair play, London. Highly recommend doing a bit of research and going if you haven't really explored it, because it's a phenomenal place when you know what you want from it.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #1121 on: Wednesday 9 January 2013, 10:07:34 AM »
Fair play, London. Highly recommend doing a bit of research and going if you haven't really explored it, because it's a phenomenal place when you know what you want from it.

Couldn't agree with this more.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #1122 on: Wednesday 9 January 2013, 10:43:23 AM »
Definitely has a lot going for it the Smoke. You just need to know a little bit about where to go. I can imagine wandering around Leicester Square and all that s*** can be soul destroying if you don't know about all the other stuff.

LeMacaron

« Reply #1123 on: Wednesday 9 January 2013, 10:59:02 AM »
Booked a one-way to Melbourne for November 2013. First move / flight outside of Europe. Can't wait! Will travel for a month or two - following the Ashes a bit, of course! :razz: Then I'll start to look for work. Need to get the working Visa sorted :cheesy:

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #1124 on: Wednesday 9 January 2013, 01:07:17 PM »
Sitting in the airport now, about to fly to Colorado for some beer and snow.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒