Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 363470 times)

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
Re: Holidays
« Reply #1050 on: Sunday 16 September 2012, 08:29:55 PM »
booked three weeks off work in september and driving to croatia with the mrs. will go through hungry on the way.

any recs or little gems on croatia as I have never been? planning to go game fishing,scuba diving, kayaking and white water rafting and will visit Dubrovnik and Split for sure.

Plitvice national park is pretty impressive.

Off to Sri Lanka on Tuesday for 2.5 weeks, can't wait.

:thup:

It's paradise. Where you going exactly? (got back last week)

Just got back this afternoon, it was mint.

Went to Colombo (s***), Sigiriya as a base for the cultural triangle (went to Dambulla, Polonarruwa, Minneriya Nat Park and climbed the rock), Kandy, 4 days in the hill country (Nuwara Eliya and Ella), Tissa (as a base for Yala) and Unawatuna / Galle. Great country, absolutely stunning, brilliant food and unbelievably friendly people. I'd mainly gone for the scenery so the hill country was my highlight, had a great evening taking in some SLPL T20 in Kandy too.

Only slight downside for me was the lack of stuff to do in the evening - I went with my gf and we weren't looking for nights out but it's always good to find places other than your hotel to chill for a few beers through the evening and into the night to meet a few more holidayers and locals. Almost everywhere shut down by 9 apart from in the big cities!

Where did you go?

Also agree with Disco on wanting to hear a write up of Burma, would love to go myself.

Sorry mate, just saw this. The atmosphere at the cricket is f***ing immense, isn't it?

Did you take any pics while you were out there? Would love to see them :thup: I f***ing miss Sri Lanka so much. I enquired into house prices while I was down there. Not sure whether I'm kidding myself, but I intend to move there man.

That sounds lovely! I take it you didn't stay in one place too long if you covered all those places? I didn't keep a diary, but I may as well record my journey in the annals of N-O.

I went to Colombo but left pretty quickly. Very urban, dirty and hectic on first blush. Headed straight for Hikkiduwa, which was just incredible. The train journey there was to be the only straight-forward journey I would have, little did I know. The insistence on people chucking trash out the window was a little disappointing, I guess - but maybe that's just the Westerner in me prejudging the values/norms of a country from my train window (literally, at this point). Stayed in Hikka for a few days - which was just lush. Visited the tsunami museum, herb gardens, a turtle sanctuary [I'm a vegetarian do-gooder :blush:] and rented a scooter which I rode down to Galle for a day-trip.

The trip was cracking. I almost died several times, and the girl friend I was with was so panicked the whole time (but in a funny way... well, a funny way for me). It was a really, really bad idea in retrospect. I can barely ride a bicycle. Once I got the hang of it, it was alright though - maybe the highlight of my trip actually. No paperwork, just give them £4 and you have a scooter for a day :laugh: f***ing class. The drivers, as you would expect, are mental.

Then subsequent trips through the centre of the country were torturous. It takes about three times as long to travel half the distance where there are no trains, or where the country is hilly. The amount of tuk-tuk rides, bus journeys up 45 degree hills, etc.. it was incredible, but all added to the fun and flavour of it. I climbed Sri Pada (Adam's Peak) as a friend of mine who passed away did. Bit of a silly pilgrimage for me. As was the whole trip in a way.

Bought some decent weed, went to the rock caves in Dambulla, up Sigiriya Rock and visited the grandparents of the aforementioned friends and help them settle into a house. Brushed up a little bit on my Tamil in Trincomalee, saw a leopard in the wild, explored the hill country and drank lots!

Food was so cheap. People were so friendly, the pace of life was so calm (but not in an idol way). My girl friend is a white girl who had (near enough) peroxide blonde hair, so when I went around with her.. in some places we were just walking dollar signs. When I was by myself, people thought I was Sri Lankan - which was a fantastic boon for me. I decided to do the shopping for both me and my friend after a while, because when I went to shops I got quoted local prices because they thought I was a Srilly :)

Oh, also went to R. Premadasa International Stadium to watch Sri Lanka v India on the fourth day of a ODI. FAN-f***ing-TASTIC. What a way to spend the day. Beer was great/cheap and we got to sit with the players families for a pittance.

Edit: Oh, and Perahara was on. I thought it was alright, but not a big fan of elephants in captivity. The acrobats, fire-dancers were cool though. Kandy was an incredible city though. Really suave.
« Last Edit: Sunday 16 September 2012, 08:41:17 PM by Beren »

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #1051 on: Sunday 16 September 2012, 08:37:31 PM »
I agree about the night life bit. Unless you're in Colombo and you knew where you're going (H20 club, mainly!), there isn't much by way of night life. I liked syncing into the Sri Lankan way of early nights, early morning and full days. Never felt tired though, or unhappy/restless about sleeping. Depends what you're after though. I went to bed content, personally!

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
Re: Re: Holidays
« Reply #1052 on: Sunday 16 September 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
Has anyone had any experience of driving through America?  We're going to Florida with friends for 2 weeks next year but I fancy spending the next two weeks after driving from Florida to New York and seeing various sights on the way.

Any thoughts/ideas?

I've driven from New Orleans, Louisiana all the way up to Dorr, Michigan.  Do you want to know something about driving over there or hiring a car?

As for your route, definitely do the Smoky Mountains on the North Carolina/Tennessee border :thup:

I'd love to do something like that, how did you go about it and what did it cost?

did it after I'd been working there for 10 weeks.  Had flown from LaGuardia to NO.

Honestly barely any planning went into it.  Booked a hire car through carhire3000.com.  They're basically a comparison site/3rd party for car hire companies.  There were 4 of us each with luggage, 2 who could drive (me and another lad) so we had a Chrysler Town & Country, a big 7 seater thing.

Can't remember off the top of my head how much it cost.  I want to say about $450 for 5 days including Sat Nav hire.  $80 filled the tank and had to fill it about 3 times.  We got as far as southern Illinois before we went to a motel and called it a night ($30 for the room between us).  Drove roughly from 2pm until 2am when I was too tired to continue.

Some mad stories from it like.  We went to a Wal-Mart somewhere near Jackson, Mississippi to get stuff to make sandwiches to save money.  Both me and one of the other lads are from the north-east.  Staff there genuinely couldn't understand a word we said, proper had to tone down the accent.  Ended up being surrounded by about 10 staff who just gawked at us because we were English and asked a million s*** questions about what England is like.

Also went to refill somewhere near Memphis.  Turned off the Interstate, went to a gas station and noticed a f*** off big jet opposite in a walled area.  Also noticed a massive mansion on the other side of the road.  Eventually realised it was Graceland.  :lol:  Totally unplanned.  The bloke that works in the gift shop is a genuine carbon-copy of Elvis.  So tacky, man.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #1053 on: Monday 17 September 2012, 12:39:39 AM »
Class write up Beren. Can't wait to get there in February. Just need to plan out where we're going...arguably my favourite part.

Probably end up just dossing around the south coast though.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #1054 on: Tuesday 25 September 2012, 09:26:15 AM »
So am going to amsterdam the friday after the bruges match. Any recommendations? One thing i havent booked is bruges to dam train. Bit unsure about the flex/semi flex options on the trains, anyone trained it through europe?
AS9

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #1055 on: Thursday 27 September 2012, 09:36:21 PM »
Can anyone recommend any hotels in Amsterdam close to the Ziggo Dome, really want to see the Swedish House Mafia one last time and Amsterdam is the closest and cheapest event. I know Hostels will be cheaper but my mates are fussy buggers and wont do hostels.

Offline ross magoo

• General Member
« Reply #1056 on: Saturday 29 September 2012, 07:42:26 PM »
Booked a Kilimanjaro trek today for January.  Going up the "easy" way (Marangu route).  Really excited.  Need to start getting prepared, buy kit, get immunised against all the lovely diseases etc.
I'm bored of Hampden anyway

Sophie S

« Reply #1057 on: Saturday 29 September 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
Sounds pretty cool! Do you have some time to explore Tanzania as well? I'd love to go to a southern African country on a proper safari.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #1058 on: Monday 1 October 2012, 04:33:23 PM »
Any recommendations for where to stay in amsterdam? What area? Me n 1 mate atm. we want a private room cant be bothered with dorms. Wanna be central near the fun. I think it would be a laugh to stay on a boat, but probably out the centre?

AS9

Offline ross magoo

• General Member
« Reply #1059 on: Monday 1 October 2012, 05:03:46 PM »
Sounds pretty cool! Do you have some time to explore Tanzania as well? I'd love to go to a southern African country on a proper safari.

Most climb operators allow you to add on Safari tours but my budget was limited so i'm just gonna fly there, climb the mountain, and fly home.  I think i have 2 nights in Moshi but the first will be spent preparing my kit.  I'll try and get out and around the town to see the market and stuff like that before i come home though.
I'm bored of Hampden anyway

Kevlaar

« Reply #1060 on: Monday 1 October 2012, 08:40:58 PM »
Just booked on a two week trek down east coast of USA with trek america.

Ideally I would have liked to do my own thing, but that would mean taking a month off work, which just cant be done.

Start in NYC, ending in Miami via DC, Appalachian Mountains, Tennessee, Mississippi, New Orleans, Panama City, Florida, Orlando.

Looking forward to New Orleans more than anything.

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #1061 on: Monday 1 October 2012, 08:53:29 PM »

Ideally I would have liked to do my own thing, but that would mean taking a month off work, which just cant be done.

Start in NYC, ending in Miami via DC, Appalachian Mountains, Tennessee, Mississippi, New Orleans, Panama City, Florida, Orlando.

are they taking you out into the bayou to do a gator tour?  Well worth it.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Kevlaar

« Reply #1062 on: Monday 1 October 2012, 09:03:22 PM »

are they taking you out into the bayou to do a gator tour?  Well worth it.

Yeah. That'll be mint like. Shame I don't have a infinite amount of money, and no real need for a job, otherwise, I'd do a full on tour of North, Central, South America

Offline Colo's Short and Curlies

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
« Reply #1063 on: Saturday 13 October 2012, 09:15:02 AM »
Went to Thomson's yesterday evening.

Fly to Kos today. Nothing like a last second dash to get some sun
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #1064 on: Saturday 13 October 2012, 12:21:58 PM »
Any hotel or hostel recommendations for Amsterdam?
AS9

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #1065 on: Saturday 13 October 2012, 12:29:33 PM »
When you going? I'm stopping in the Stopera Hotel for the Swedish House Mafia in December will let you know what its like.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #1066 on: Sunday 14 October 2012, 01:58:25 PM »
going from bruges the day after the match, il google it, did you base the selection on it being in a decent area?
AS9

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #1067 on: Sunday 14 October 2012, 04:57:05 PM »
Where would be the most reasonably priced place foe some winter sun? (february) somewhere like Tenerife?
Could it have feasibly climbed high enough to leave the atmosphere? ???

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #1068 on: Sunday 14 October 2012, 05:44:50 PM »
Anyone know how easy it is to get from Cuba to Venezuela or vice versa and whether it's easy and cheaper to buy tickets there or before I went?

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #1069 on: Sunday 14 October 2012, 06:48:45 PM »
Why the f*** won't expedia offer me flights to Havana?

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #1070 on: Sunday 14 October 2012, 06:51:23 PM »
Anyone know how easy it is to get from Cuba to Venezuela or vice versa and whether it's easy and cheaper to buy tickets there or before I went?

http://www.cubana.cu/ and http://www.conviasa.aero/ fly Havana-Caracas, seem to go on most days.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #1071 on: Sunday 14 October 2012, 10:42:14 PM »
Anyone been to New York for New Years? Any good?

More generally for New York: Recommendations/places to avoid?

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #1072 on: Monday 15 October 2012, 01:01:12 AM »

http://www.cubana.cu/ and http://www.conviasa.aero/ fly Havana-Caracas, seem to go on most days.

Cheers. :thup:

Offline Ash

• General Member
  • 27/08/16 - Immortality
« Reply #1073 on: Monday 15 October 2012, 01:23:04 AM »

Been once and will be going again next year, unbelievable place. A mate of mine goes all the time, will PM you the stuff he sent me before I went if I still have it. :thup:
Quote from: Hatem Ben Arfa
I have already played in Milan, Madrid and Barcelona but it is here that I feel right on the pitch. And also it is here that the players are respected.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #1074 on: Monday 15 October 2012, 01:25:28 AM »

Been once and will be going again next year, unbelievable place. A mate of mine goes all the time, will PM you the stuff he sent me before I went if I still have it. :thup:

Aw, nice one :thup: Cheers