Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 363442 times)

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
Re: Holidays
« Reply #1000 on: Wednesday 29 August 2012, 02:28:55 AM »
Are there any people on here that live in or have a decent knowledge of downtown Orlando?

Going to go to an ice hockey game at the amway center but the parking lots on ticketmaster are for U.S & Canadians only. Any help on where is the best places to park or how much a bus/taxi from kissimmee would cost there and back?

Cheers.

I saw your PM but I thought I'd put my response here as well so everyone can see it if they ever need a similar question answered.

There is tons of street park around the Arena.  Anywhere East of the Arena is an okay place to park your car.  They have a parking garage on premise, although I could imagine it being pretty pricey to park at during a match.  I'd recommend driving around a little bit and you'll find a parking lot/garage for much cheaper prices than the arena's option.  On Pine Street, between Rosalind and Magnolia there is a parking garage that is like $5 or $10 for parking for that night.  There is a pub on the corner of Magnolia/Pine (The Harp & Celt, where Kanji and I catch matches usually) that would be a great spot for a pre-match pint and is a five minute walk from the Arena.  Also if you park in the downtown area East of the Arena you'll get a chance to walk around and see a bit of our city which is always nice.

I will just stress that anything in the immediate area west of the Arena is a no-go for anything.  That's where people get shot.

As far as a taxi goes it would be pretty expensive, as it's pretty far from Kissimmee (like an hour away).

Aye, I responded to the message - but I second what Cubes is saying. And like I said in the message, we play West Brom that day so if the match is on FSC or FSC+ at 10,11,or 1230 pm EST I'd be up for meeting up and I'm sure Cuba would as well if he's not busy.  Cheers and let either of us know if you need anything or have any questions in our city.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #1001 on: Friday 31 August 2012, 06:07:53 PM »
booked three weeks off work in september and driving to croatia with the mrs. will go through hungry on the way.

any recs or little gems on croatia as I have never been? planning to go game fishing,scuba diving, kayaking and white water rafting and will visit Dubrovnik and Split for sure.

Plitvice national park is pretty impressive.

Off to Sri Lanka on Tuesday for 2.5 weeks, can't wait.

:thup:

It's paradise. Where you going exactly? (got back last week)

Just got back this afternoon, it was mint.

Went to Colombo (s***), Sigiriya as a base for the cultural triangle (went to Dambulla, Polonarruwa, Minneriya Nat Park and climbed the rock), Kandy, 4 days in the hill country (Nuwara Eliya and Ella), Tissa (as a base for Yala) and Unawatuna / Galle. Great country, absolutely stunning, brilliant food and unbelievably friendly people. I'd mainly gone for the scenery so the hill country was my highlight, had a great evening taking in some SLPL T20 in Kandy too.

Only slight downside for me was the lack of stuff to do in the evening - I went with my gf and we weren't looking for nights out but it's always good to find places other than your hotel to chill for a few beers through the evening and into the night to meet a few more holidayers and locals. Almost everywhere shut down by 9 apart from in the big cities!

Where did you go?

Also agree with Disco on wanting to hear a write up of Burma, would love to go myself.
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #1002 on: Friday 31 August 2012, 06:22:49 PM »
Can anyone recommend some good places to go for relaxed drinks in New York? And any reasonably priced but good food places.

I went once before, but I didn't really find much like that. I'm sure it's there, I just need some insider tips.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • Only $50 pm
« Reply #1003 on: Friday 31 August 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
The West Village is kind of relaxed. In a massively gay hipster kind of way?

Depends what you mean by relaxed. Were the places you went to touristy and/or massive chain places? Or just too trendy and loud?

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #1004 on: Friday 31 August 2012, 06:28:47 PM »
The West Village is kind of relaxed. In a massively gay hipster kind of way?

Depends what you mean by relaxed. Were the places you went to touristy and/or massive chain places? Or just too trendy and loud?

We just couldn't find anywhere nice and affordable to eat really, and we didn't go for many drinks. We were staying north of Central Park though, so that might have been a factor.

Just after decent bars and pubs where it's possible to drink and chat, maybe a few cool ones thrown in for now and then.

Staying midtown this time so should hopefully be closer to things.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #1005 on: Thursday 6 September 2012, 03:52:53 PM »
Nice write up Mowen. How did you get around? Just bus and train?

Me and the lass are oohing and ahhing whether to book up but it'd only be for 12 days and don't really want to be rushing about but would like a bit of beach and culture, not too chewed about wildlife etc.

Galle and the beaches down there look lush.

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #1006 on: Thursday 6 September 2012, 04:46:35 PM »
Can anyone recommend some good places to go for relaxed drinks in New York? And any reasonably priced but good food places.

I went once before, but I didn't really find much like that. I'm sure it's there, I just need some insider tips.

Toad Hall in SoHo. thup:
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline johnnypd

• General Member
« Reply #1007 on: Thursday 6 September 2012, 06:56:12 PM »

Death and Company. Best cocktail bar in New York imo. saying that i wouldnt bother with it (or most good places in manhattan) on a weekend, far too busy, loud and obnoxious. Then when you are done go to South Brooklyn Pizza 2 mins away on 1st Avenue. best. pizza. ever.

Fantastic place that doesn't get too busy is Dutch Kills, but it's in the middle of nowhere in long island city - it's not far from manhattan at all but i wouldnt want to get lost in that neighbourhood. Also check out Williamsburg, plenty of places down there and more laid back than manhattan - went to the radegast beer hall - brats, sauerkraut and fries come to $7, also checked out Hotel Delmano for cocktails but it was just ok. also in that neighbourhood is blue bottle coffee which is probably the best coffee in the city and a nice place to hang out in the afternoon.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #1008 on: Thursday 6 September 2012, 07:12:20 PM »

Death and Company. Best cocktail bar in New York imo. saying that i wouldnt bother with it (or most good places in manhattan) on a weekend, far too busy, loud and obnoxious. Then when you are done go to South Brooklyn Pizza 2 mins away on 1st Avenue. best. pizza. ever.

Was going to recommend Death & Co but I didn't think it'd work with the "relaxed" requirement.  It's really small and relatively busy most nights (from what I hear).  The better option would be Please Don't Tell (or PDT for short).  Make sure to call for a reservation though or you won't get in.  It's in the back of a place called Crif Dogs.  You walk to the side where the phone booth is, pick up the phone, tell them your name and they open the wall up for you to slide through into the bar.  It's in the East Village.

http://pdtnyc.com/ <--reservation info there.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline johnnypd

• General Member
« Reply #1009 on: Thursday 6 September 2012, 07:18:44 PM »

Was going to recommend Death & Co but I didn't think it'd work with the "relaxed" requirement.  It's really small and relatively busy most nights (from what I hear).  The better option would be Please Don't Tell (or PDT for short).  Make sure to call for a reservation though or you won't get in.  It's in the back of a place called Crif Dogs.  You walk to the side where the phone booth is, pick up the phone, tell them your name and they open the wall up for you to slide through into the bar.  It's in the East Village.

http://pdtnyc.com/ <--reservation info there.

Tried getting into PDT but found it impossible - never answered their phone and the one time i got through they were fully booked. but you can turn up and see if they have any spare seats going - didn't when we went but they took our number. never got called back tho which was disappointing as it looks amazing inside. went to Death and Co instead as its a 10 min walk and thought it was great. It is busy but they don't let you stand so everyone is seated which makes it manageable. couple other bars we went to were just rammed during week nights and tbh full of dickheads, but that's New York (or specifically Manhattan), you can't escape it.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #1010 on: Thursday 6 September 2012, 07:19:18 PM »
Bruges in november
AS9

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #1011 on: Thursday 6 September 2012, 07:36:33 PM »
Bruges in november

:snod: Going to be my first trip abroad in over 2 years.

Offline Greg

• General Member
« Reply #1012 on: Thursday 6 September 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
What's Amsterdam like aside from the obvious vices? Thinking of taking wor lass there for her birthday since neither of us have been. Enough to do for 3 days?

Very nice city and plenty of culture to sample and loads of restaurants and bars.

I thought the Rijksmuseum was good, really enjoyed the Rembrandt painting as well as others. You also have the Van Gough Museum and others like Anne Frank House.

I did the Heineken Experience but I wouldn't bother, waste of money. Canal tours are also decent. Certainly plenty to do to fill 3 days and stay away from the RLD.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #1013 on: Thursday 6 September 2012, 10:36:52 PM »
:yao:
AS9

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #1014 on: Thursday 6 September 2012, 11:29:32 PM »

Me and the lass are oohing and ahhing whether to book up but it'd only be for 12 days and don't really want to be rushing about but would like a bit of beach and culture, not too chewed about wildlife etc.

Bus and train for the most part on the long journeys. They're cramped, hot & sweaty and you listen to horrific Sri Lankan pop music at unbearable volume but they're fun in their own way and cost less than a quid in general for a 4 hour journey. If you're more rushed for time you can generally organise reasonable value taxis between destinations, particularly if you can find people who want to share. Went for a couple of these towards the end once we'd had our fill of ropey buses.

If you wanted to do it in 12 days, based on what you've said as your requirements, I'd recommend heading straight for Kandy and having a couple of days there (literally no need to bother with Colombo), going through the hill country for the scenery (incredible, google World's End and Ella Rock for a taster) in about 4 days and then heading for beaches on the south - Tangalla is supposed to be really nice as is Mirissa but we only went to Unawatuna & Galle as we're not really beach people. The flights are expensive but everything else is cheap, particularly food & drink, and you can stay in some nice guest houses for £20-30 a night for the room.
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #1015 on: Thursday 6 September 2012, 11:42:40 PM »

Bus and train for the most part on the long journeys. They're cramped, hot & sweaty and you listen to horrific Sri Lankan pop music at unbearable volume but they're fun in their own way and cost less than a quid in general for a 4 hour journey. If you're more rushed for time you can generally organise reasonable value taxis between destinations, particularly if you can find people who want to share. Went for a couple of these towards the end once we'd had our fill of ropey buses.

If you wanted to do it in 12 days, based on what you've said as your requirements, I'd recommend heading straight for Kandy and having a couple of days there (literally no need to bother with Colombo), going through the hill country for the scenery (incredible, google World's End and Ella Rock for a taster) in about 4 days and then heading for beaches on the south - Tangalla is supposed to be really nice as is Mirissa but we only went to Unawatuna & Galle as we're not really beach people. The flights are expensive but everything else is cheap, particularly food & drink, and you can stay in some nice guest houses for £20-30 a night for the room.

Cheers mate, will look in to those, aye we were thinking a week 5-7 days down by Galle - Unawatuna - Mirissa and then the rest in the hills / Kandy. I'm normally a fan of cities but I've not ready a single good thing about Colombo aside from that it has the Int'l airport.

Really like my South Indian food so I'm assuming Sri Lankan will be fairly similar.

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #1016 on: Thursday 6 September 2012, 11:45:01 PM »
The food's incredible. I just had rice and curry for every dinner, they bring out about 10 different curried dishes including one meat, a dahl, a fish, potato and then whatever else they've got in - star fruit, pumpkin, aubergine, beetroot, etc. - one of the best places I've ever been for food. Plus it's socially acceptable to have curry for breakfast.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #1017 on: Friday 7 September 2012, 12:02:34 AM »
In before the sale ends, wor lass has just booked us up for mid February. Buzzing.

Given that you seem to like the same holiday places as myself you need to fetch yourself over to Argentina/Brazil if you can afford it. Do cost a bit more when there though which is a bit of a dragback, personally like it when your main expense is getting there so you can get most of it paid in advance and not worry about  cash when you're over there.

Offline Gallowgate Toon

• General Member
« Reply #1018 on: Friday 7 September 2012, 12:06:54 AM »
Heading to Nice the week after next, looking forward to it as it's been a while since I was last there. Only going to be there for a week but have trains sorted for Monaco, Cannes and Antibes.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #1019 on: Friday 7 September 2012, 12:18:11 AM »
Heading to Nice the week after next, looking forward to it as it's been a while since I was last there. Only going to be there for a week but have trains sorted for Monaco, Cannes and Antibes.

Villefrance (sp?) is my favourite place round there like. Lovely little village and the beach is nice too.

Offline Gallowgate Toon

• General Member
« Reply #1020 on: Friday 7 September 2012, 10:06:29 AM »

Villefrance (sp?) is my favourite place round there like. Lovely little village and the beach is nice too.

I've heard good things about Villefranche, I'd probably be going there if it was a 10 day or 2 week trip. Looking forward to Anitbes the most, supposed to be a gorgeous place and quieter than the big coastal cities with stunning beaches and whatnot. Been to Monaco and Cannes before so I know what to expect there but the lass hasn't and wanted to have a look, can't complain really though as both are really interesting cities for differing reasons, Monaco in particular.

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #1021 on: Friday 7 September 2012, 01:17:49 PM »
Personally I think Cannes and Monaco are a bit overrated - but definitely worth a look if your lass hasn't been before.

Think some of the little villages around the south of France are just amazing though - St Paul de Vence, Mougins and Eze are pretty spectacular.

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #1022 on: Friday 7 September 2012, 06:38:01 PM »
Heading to Barcelona on tuesday, and home to Sweden again on sunday. What do you recommend as "must see" and which night clubs are the best ones over there?

Cheers!

Offline TRC

• WASRKOOK
  • General Member
« Reply #1023 on: Friday 7 September 2012, 07:49:06 PM »
Gotta go to the Nou Camp, you can do a tour of it. Watch out for pick pockets, Barcelona is pretty bad for them. I'd ask VI also.

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #1024 on: Friday 7 September 2012, 08:07:06 PM »
 O0