Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 363449 times)

Online neesy111

• General Member
Re: Holidays
« Reply #975 on: Thursday 23 August 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
I can't get my head round online check in, so I've printed our boarding passes out for Tuesday that's all we need (passports as well) correct? Check in our bags at the drop off point then we can go straight through to departures?

Also nearly £300 for a name change with jet2 :anguish:

If you are putting bags in the hold is there any advantage of getting online boarding pass? Barely saves 5 seconds in that case.

Only a advantage where you have fast baggage points in airports, usually only the big Airlines have these.

Online TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #976 on: Thursday 23 August 2012, 10:19:41 AM »
I can't get my head round online check in, so I've printed our boarding passes out for Tuesday that's all we need (passports as well) correct? Check in our bags at the drop off point then we can go straight through to departures?

If you are putting bags in the hold is there any advantage of getting online boarding pass? Barely saves 5 seconds in that case.

Jet2 Charge more for normal check in than they do for online.

/cheapbasterd

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #977 on: Thursday 23 August 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
Just got back from our holidays today, Drove to Annecy for 7 days.  What a fantastic place so much to do and stunning surroundings, we went to Chamonix and Geneva for a day too both are great places and we will be going back to both.  Spent the last 4 days in Paris, enjoyed it alot more then i thought i would. 

Totally fell in love with France though, the food is fantastic and local produce is so accessible.  I can see us going back to France soon.

France is underrated IMO, lots of beautiful places. It's no Italy, but it's nice and it's very easy to get to. Even have half a chance with the language.

Roger Kint

« Reply #978 on: Thursday 23 August 2012, 12:21:21 PM »

Jet2 Charge more for normal check in than they do for online.

/cheapbasterd

Never travelled with Jet2, sure my mam had to pay all manner of stupid fees when she used them last year.

Offline IndonesianToon

« Reply #979 on: Thursday 23 August 2012, 04:27:35 PM »
5 weeks to go then off to SE Asia again for 3 1/2 weeks.  Desperate for a Holiday now.

Where abouts?

Indonesia - Jakarta & Bali.
Singapore (for the F1).
Vang Vieng.
Langkawi.
Thailand Islands.

I wouldn't spend too much time in Jakarta, I've been twice in the last year and just couldn't get a sense of the place (I'm sure I'm missing something so I'm going to try and have a look around the next time I'm there). Traffic is also bad, on the plus side the people are really nice, sophisticated and the food is fantastic.

Only planning to spend a day there, heard similar things about it.

I would not recommend jakarta.
It just another metropolitan city like other country have.
The people (mostly) and the food are great though.

Bali has been too crowded for my liking, unless you can get to some exclusive area which will be expensive I think.

I would recommend a much low profile area (facility is not so great though) such as:
- lombok : the beach is breathtakingly beatiful. Just like Bali but much less crowded. It's an island just next to bali. People said it's like bali in the 60s in terms of it's naturality.

- raja ampat : it's in papua. There will be minor security issue. But i think u'll be ok. And the view is also excellent.

For you that willing to see the typical village in indonesia :
- borobudur temple
- outskirts of bandung city (pengalengan, papandayan, etc). And the girls in bandung are known as naturally beautiful ( at least many of them )

The people in the village are usually much nicer.

Other place i would recommend :
Tana toraja : it's in sulawesi island. there are some unique tradition here. People said that we can see a dead man walking (walking jump actualy) in burial ceremony (they bury people inside the cliff's wall). But i never seen that myself.

- Lake toba : it's the biggest lake in indonesia. The view is also excellent.

And there are so many more. But those are what i recommend the most.

Of course if you prefer the night life, pub, etc, jakarta or bandung will be fine for you.

« Last Edit: Thursday 23 August 2012, 04:42:20 PM by IndonesianToon »

Offline macphisto

• General Member
« Reply #980 on: Thursday 23 August 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
I'm off to Myanmar in October for about a week, flying into Mandalay and then up the river to Bagan. Really looking forward to it as I've heard good things from other people.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #981 on: Thursday 23 August 2012, 10:23:59 PM »
I'm off to Myanmar in October for about a week, flying into Mandalay and then up the river to Bagan. Really looking forward to it as I've heard good things from other people.

Hoy a review up when you get back fella. I'd love to go to Burma but I'm a bit wary.

india any good? dont really wanna go but might not have a choice

I loved it but I reckon just as many didn't. Hectic as f*** but the food/people are amazing.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #982 on: Friday 24 August 2012, 12:44:52 AM »
5 weeks to go then off to SE Asia again for 3 1/2 weeks.  Desperate for a Holiday now.

Where abouts?

Indonesia - Jakarta & Bali.
Singapore (for the F1).
Vang Vieng.
Langkawi.
Thailand Islands.

I wouldn't spend too much time in Jakarta, I've been twice in the last year and just couldn't get a sense of the place (I'm sure I'm missing something so I'm going to try and have a look around the next time I'm there). Traffic is also bad, on the plus side the people are really nice, sophisticated and the food is fantastic.

Only planning to spend a day there, heard similar things about it.

I would not recommend jakarta.
It just another metropolitan city like other country have.
The people (mostly) and the food are great though.

Bali has been too crowded for my liking, unless you can get to some exclusive area which will be expensive I think.

I would recommend a much low profile area (facility is not so great though) such as:
- lombok : the beach is breathtakingly beatiful. Just like Bali but much less crowded. It's an island just next to bali. People said it's like bali in the 60s in terms of it's naturality.

- raja ampat : it's in papua. There will be minor security issue. But i think u'll be ok. And the view is also excellent.

For you that willing to see the typical village in indonesia :
- borobudur temple
- outskirts of bandung city (pengalengan, papandayan, etc). And the girls in bandung are known as naturally beautiful ( at least many of them )

The people in the village are usually much nicer.

Other place i would recommend :
Tana toraja : it's in sulawesi island. there are some unique tradition here. People said that we can see a dead man walking (walking jump actualy) in burial ceremony (they bury people inside the cliff's wall). But i never seen that myself.

- Lake toba : it's the biggest lake in indonesia. The view is also excellent.

And there are so many more. But those are what i recommend the most.

Of course if you prefer the night life, pub, etc, jakarta or bandung will be fine for you.

Thanks for the info, I'm in Indonesia for 7 days so not too much time but hopefully will get a feel of the place.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #983 on: Monday 27 August 2012, 02:43:01 PM »
Hello well-travelled people of N-O. After another holiday destination/recommendation.

Looking for:

Hot (but preferably not melting hot)
Somewhere with a private swimming pool / accom for two people
Not too long haul if possible

Basically, we just want a swimming pool to ourselves somewhere hot. Hope someone can help!

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #984 on: Monday 27 August 2012, 02:49:35 PM »
You after a villa/private apartment? On TripAdvisor they have a private rentals section which I've used and was fine, if not www.holidaylettings.co.uk is also good. Both can be tailored to search for what you're after too.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #985 on: Monday 27 August 2012, 02:50:05 PM »
We went to Sidari (North Corfu) this year and the hotel across from us was completely empty so we had a whole pool to ourselves -

Ignore the clumsy finger.. :lol:

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #986 on: Monday 27 August 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Cheers Disco/Caj :thup:

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #987 on: Monday 27 August 2012, 04:13:26 PM »
Cheers for the sincere reply to what in all honesty was a pointless and unhelpful reply to your question. Just reminded me we practically had our own pool this year and when I am online I have to post most of my thoughts :lol:.

Always been a polite chap you Beren :aww:

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #988 on: Monday 27 August 2012, 04:48:05 PM »
Seems unlikely that I'll be going to Africa this (holiday) year after all. :(

So any suggestions as to what I should do instead?

Toying with the following at the moment, but nothing's really got it's hooks into me yet.

1. Japan - expensive, but always wanted to go.
2. India - really badly wanted to go in the past, enthusiasm's worn off a bit now for no apparent reason.
3. North Korea - expect it's probably a total bitch to organise, unsure that I want to give money to a regime like that, but still it fascinates me. :dontknow:
4. Chernobyl - it's a long way to go for what would be - I expect - quite a short visit, not sure that there's much else around there that I'd want to see and as per NK I expect it might be a bit of a bitch to sort out, equally as fascinating though.
5. Somewhere in South America - been before, feel like there might be different places I should see before I go back for more of the same, still I did absolutely love it when I was there.
6. South East Asia - total cliché, might be full of arseholes, but equally it might not, used to really want to go.
7. Somewhere in Europe, perhaps a few shorter trips (Berlin, Barcelona, etc) - close and easy to get around, will likely speak English, etc, but expensive.

Any comments on the above, or anything additional to what I've already thought of would be much appreciated. Ta. :thup:

icemanblue

« Reply #989 on: Monday 27 August 2012, 04:49:59 PM »
Go to Japan.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #990 on: Monday 27 August 2012, 04:51:02 PM »
Why has the Africa trip fallen through?

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #991 on: Monday 27 August 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
Why has the Africa trip fallen through?

I was going to go with my mates, one of whom is Senegalese - we were going to stay with people he knows, etc - and they can't go this year, but hopefully will be able to next year, so I'm going to wait until then.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #992 on: Monday 27 August 2012, 05:04:25 PM »
1. It is expensive but worth it. Locals are amazing
2. Dunno where you'd want to be going but India has pretty much everything you could ever want in a destination. Getting around (by train) is easy enough too, it's cheap as chips and the locals are friendly. It is hectic though and things are liable to go wrong.
3. Be hella expensive but again worth it, Koryo Tours are the main tour group IIRC.
4. Dunno but assume you have to go on an organised trip for safety reasons, Kiev is easy enough to get too though.
5. Would be my choice, Peru/Bolivia are totally different to the other countries I went too, would love to go to Colombia, seems to have the lot.
6. Full of teenybopper rah kids but they're easy enough to avoid depending on where you go. £ goes a long way and the food is unreal.
7. Don't need any advice here, only place I don't recommend is Bratislava.

Offline johnnypd

• General Member
« Reply #993 on: Monday 27 August 2012, 05:13:21 PM »
Seems unlikely that I'll be going to Africa this (holiday) year after all. :(

So any suggestions as to what I should do instead?

Toying with the following at the moment, but nothing's really got it's hooks into me yet.

1. Japan - expensive, but always wanted to go.

Definitely do Japan, amazing place. Desperately want to go back.

Didn't find it too expensive when I was there - comparable to the UK i'd say (though the UK is admittedly one of the most expensive countries in the world). Loads of great cheap places to eat as well - find tiny one room restaurants near the train stations, izakaya bars that serve food, even those little vending machine restaurants (you put your money in the machine, receive a token and take it inside to swap for a meal) get you huge portions of delicious food for equivalent of around £3. also public transport is utterly fantastic and cheaper than london's tube (metro ticket costs about £1.20 in tokyo).

travelling on the shinkansen is very expensive but is an experience in itself, but there's also overnight buses to most places that are fairly cheap and actually very comfortable. i went all the way to shikoku from tokyo (11 hours) and slept pretty much the entire way. if you can i'd mostly do Tokyo and an excursion to Kyoto. Osaka is nice but basically just a slightly smaller version of Tokyo so no real need to visit. countryside with little ryokans is great too.

Offline Cheshire Mag

• General Member
  • Donkey s**** to you too pal
« Reply #994 on: Monday 27 August 2012, 10:38:10 PM »
Are there any people on here that live in or have a decent knowledge of downtown Orlando?

Going to go to an ice hockey game at the amway center but the parking lots on ticketmaster are for U.S & Canadians only. Any help on where is the best places to park or how much a bus/taxi from kissimmee would cost there and back?

Cheers.

Offline Cheshire Mag

• General Member
« Reply #995 on: Tuesday 28 August 2012, 08:47:13 PM »
Bump.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #996 on: Tuesday 28 August 2012, 09:36:14 PM »
Bump.

Send cubaricho and/or Kanji a PM. They both live there IIRC.

Offline Cheshire Mag

• General Member
« Reply #997 on: Tuesday 28 August 2012, 09:37:02 PM »

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #998 on: Tuesday 28 August 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
What's Amsterdam like aside from the obvious vices? Thinking of taking wor lass there for her birthday since neither of us have been. Enough to do for 3 days?

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #999 on: Tuesday 28 August 2012, 11:55:31 PM »
Are there any people on here that live in or have a decent knowledge of downtown Orlando?

Going to go to an ice hockey game at the amway center but the parking lots on ticketmaster are for U.S & Canadians only. Any help on where is the best places to park or how much a bus/taxi from kissimmee would cost there and back?

Cheers.

I saw your PM but I thought I'd put my response here as well so everyone can see it if they ever need a similar question answered.

There is tons of street park around the Arena.  Anywhere East of the Arena is an okay place to park your car.  They have a parking garage on premise, although I could imagine it being pretty pricey to park at during a match.  I'd recommend driving around a little bit and you'll find a parking lot/garage for much cheaper prices than the arena's option.  On Pine Street, between Rosalind and Magnolia there is a parking garage that is like $5 or $10 for parking for that night.  There is a pub on the corner of Magnolia/Pine (The Harp & Celt, where Kanji and I catch matches usually) that would be a great spot for a pre-match pint and is a five minute walk from the Arena.  Also if you park in the downtown area East of the Arena you'll get a chance to walk around and see a bit of our city which is always nice.

I will just stress that anything in the immediate area west of the Arena is a no-go for anything.  That's where people get shot.

As far as a taxi goes it would be pretty expensive, as it's pretty far from Kissimmee (like an hour away).
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒