Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 377193 times)

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
Re: Holidays
« Reply #825 on: Monday 18 June 2012, 03:50:36 PM »
Thinking of maybe taking a long weekend in either Berlin or Paris for my 25th at the start of August, any recommendations?  I'm wavering towards Berlin myself as the zoo sounds pretty good haha.

I haven't been to either, but I've been told by many people that Berlin is amazing.

Going to Paris this weekend so I'll report back!

That would be good, cheers!  Yeah I've heard good things about Berlin; my other half's brother and his missus went there at Xmas and said it was really good.  My only real concern is whether I can fit everything in to a long weekend or not, and of course the overall cost.  There are some really good Eurostar deals for Paris so that might sway it somewhat!

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #826 on: Monday 18 June 2012, 04:03:17 PM »
Shoreditch is class but understand why people hate it. 

Offline Sifu

• General Member
  • Too many smileys.
« Reply #827 on: Monday 18 June 2012, 06:34:59 PM »
Think I'm going back to SE Asia + Indonesia for whole of September.

You going to stop by Hong Kong?

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #828 on: Monday 18 June 2012, 06:50:09 PM »

Also where in Indonesia? That's right up on my list of places to go in the not to distant future, not 100% certain why I totally ignored when I was travelling, rookie error.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #829 on: Monday 18 June 2012, 07:07:38 PM »
Why do you hate Laahdaahn madras? Just too busy?

too busy, too big, too many arseholes, not enough space, sure there's a much higher ratio of crappubs than anywhere else i've been. fortunately of all my friends who moved there, they've all moved on so i can get away with just the odd day trip.

Fair play, a lot of that is true. It took me a long time to know enough to learn where to go when and how to really enjoy it. If you just visit and go to the centre it can be hard work.

been all over, mates lived in worcester park so would have many a weekend there. kingston, wimbledon, raynes park and often when there "lets have a night out in blah blah blah"...no thanks,give me a place as compact as newcastle,york,hull every time.......given the choice i chose wakefield over london for my 40th.

I wouldn't class any of those places as proper London tbh, they're in the suburbs and not one of them has a tube station.  I lived in Kingston for 2 years and it was bearable for the first year and had become very tedious indeed by the second.  Now I'm in proper London (Bow in East London, close enough to Shoreditch, Dalston, Hackney, Bethnall Green, Canary Wharf to get there sharpish) I've grown to like it a lot.  Some brilliant pubs down here too, not that there were many in Kingston.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #830 on: Tuesday 19 June 2012, 10:54:45 AM »
Personally love Fitzrovia, Soho, Islington, Newington Green, Stoke Newington, Kentish Town, Primrose Hill etc... I've never heard of worcester park TBH.

Online Greg

• General Member
« Reply #831 on: Tuesday 19 June 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
Turkey, Thursday, for 8 days.

Online leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #832 on: Tuesday 19 June 2012, 03:33:43 PM »
Personally love Fitzrovia, Soho, Islington, Newington Green, Stoke Newington, Kentish Town, Primrose Hill etc... I've never heard of worcester park TBH.

Well straight away there's one issue - you're talking about North London while Madras was stuck in the South. I'm being facetious, but when "been all over" is Worcester Park, Wimbledon, Raynes Park and Kingston, then you've got problems.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, one of the joys of London is that whatever your bag is, you can find it.....as long as you have money and an open mind. Walking down the Lea River from Tottenham to the Thames, tea next to Ian Dury at Kenwood House, snorting coke that some random offered off a loo in Crouch End, dancing in a Ugandan pub, art festivals in Barnes, getting my best trainers ever in some pokey shop in Greenwich, getting plastered on Malcolm Hardee's pub/boat in Greenland Dock. It's not perfect, but apart from the money side you generally get out of it what you put into it.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

palnese

« Reply #833 on: Tuesday 19 June 2012, 03:41:45 PM »
Oh, and went to see Wembley. Got a guided tour. What an incredible stadium that is.

Offline Belfast Boy

• General Member
« Reply #834 on: Wednesday 20 June 2012, 11:03:47 PM »
Can anyone recommend a nice hotel somewhere in the east pyrenees?
We have booked a week near barcelona followed by a week in andorra and have one night between the two to fill.
Family holiday with two 8 year old girls.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #835 on: Thursday 21 June 2012, 01:27:09 AM »
Beginning 4 day trek to macchu picchu tomorrow. Not the original trail, do cycling, rafting and zip lining, should be class. Some fit girls in the group too
AS9

Online Greg

• General Member
« Reply #836 on: Thursday 21 June 2012, 09:17:11 AM »
Going to Turkey this afternoon, need to go and buy a suitcase, I fell over mine when p*ssed shortly after my last holiday and landed on it and that was that, f***ed.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #837 on: Thursday 21 June 2012, 09:37:04 AM »
Penultimate day, been brilliant but my liver can't take much more. Done everything I wanted apart from a 4 hour round trip over stupidly scary mountain roads just to visit somewhere I went when I was 18.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #838 on: Thursday 21 June 2012, 09:38:48 AM »

Also where in Indonesia? That's right up on my list of places to go in the not to distant future, not 100% certain why I totally ignored when I was travelling, rookie error.

Bali so far, looking into where else to go.  Watched the program a few weeks back on the BEEB (Indian Ocean) looked class in Indonesia.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #839 on: Monday 25 June 2012, 06:25:10 PM »
4 day trek to MP was class. One week til flight home
AS9

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #840 on: Monday 25 June 2012, 06:35:36 PM »
4 day trek to MP was class. One week til flight home

Much planned or you just gonna knock about in Cusco? Lima is nowt special tbh.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #841 on: Monday 25 June 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
Flight is from lima. Got another 2 nights booked here, gunna do a bungee Wednesday probably. Not sure if il stopover anywhere on route to lima. Met a Peruvian in Rio who said to get in touch. Not heard great things about lima but might be different if you know someone who lives there

Water rafting is one of the funnest things iv ever done
AS9

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #842 on: Monday 25 June 2012, 07:02:34 PM »
Booking flights to Sri Lanka tonight :)

Offline Stu

• Loves Jimmy Savile
  • General Member
  • Jimmy McNulty
« Reply #843 on: Tuesday 26 June 2012, 09:32:50 AM »
How long would you give yourself for a change over on long-haul?

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #844 on: Tuesday 26 June 2012, 09:38:22 AM »
How long would you give yourself for a change over on long-haul?

Depends on the airport and whether the change over is in the same terminal etc.

I would have thought at least 2 hours which allows for a slight delay and also navigating a (potentially) unfamiliar airport. Also, presuming the bags go straight through?

If you need to collect and re-check then deffo more time.

Offline Stu

• Loves Jimmy Savile
  • General Member
  • Jimmy McNulty
« Reply #845 on: Tuesday 26 June 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
All one ticket, bags go straight through. They're offering 90mins.

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #846 on: Tuesday 26 June 2012, 09:48:58 AM »
All one ticket, bags go straight through. They're offering 90mins.

Which airport, out of interest? And is the connection in the same terminal?

Offline Stu

• Loves Jimmy Savile
  • General Member
  • Jimmy McNulty
« Reply #847 on: Tuesday 26 June 2012, 10:55:05 AM »
Kuala Lumpur - don't know about the terminals.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #848 on: Tuesday 26 June 2012, 11:19:45 AM »
Same airline? 90mins will be fine. KLIA only has one+satellite terminal presuming you're not changing to a budget flight, if you are 90mins will be pushing it as the budget terminal is a chew on to get too.

Personally I'd have a long stayover and hop on the train to had a poke about in KL but I'm renegade like that.

Off anywhere nice?

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #849 on: Tuesday 26 June 2012, 12:15:09 PM »
Kuala Lumpur - don't know about the terminals.

I'm probably a bit overly sensitive about s*** like this having being f***ed over by Air France when flying back to Newcastle for family Christmas about 8 years ago and missing a connection by about 3 minutes because the c***s locked the doors when they knew I was on a connecting flight that was slightly delayed.

Bitter? Not much.  :lol:

If it was me, I'd be looking at 2 hours which takes the pressure off and, if you are delayed by any more than a couple of hours then f*** it, you couldn't have done any more.

You're the stats man, so check it out, but my guess would be that where flights are delayed the vast majority of them are probably under an hour. Meaing you've still got a hope of making it if you give yourself two.