Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 363467 times)

Offline Disco

• General Member
Re: Holidays
« Reply #600 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 12:39:27 AM »
Is Magaluf where they filmed The Inbetweeners?  Looks like a mix between Bourbon Street, The Keys, and Soviet Russia.

Nah, that was Malia in Crete. They're all effectively the same though those type of places.

Overpriced drinks in bar/clubs that have cover charges with decent scenery and a place to sweat out the toxins during the day?

Nah drink is usually canny cheap (been a while since I went to one of those type places mind) and then a strip with bars/clubs/s*** restaurants with a niceish busy beach at the front of the town. Usually some mountains/hills in the background with a bit of dry land in between.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #601 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 12:41:50 AM »
Couldn't imagine going on holiday with the lasses family, lovely people (despite being half mackem) but a few hours is sufficient.

Useful trick: (Applicable to annoying friends of hers also) Get on with them so well and devote so much attention to them that she feels neglected, and she will pull out the stops to limit time you all have to spend together.

[/scumbag Beren]

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #602 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 12:43:18 AM »
Drinks aren't remotely cheap any more. Could easily pay 10 euros + per round for me and the lass in Zante last summer.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #603 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 12:46:01 AM »
Couldn't imagine going on holiday with the lasses family, lovely people (despite being half mackem) but a few hours is sufficient.

Useful trick: (Applicable to annoying friends of hers also) Get on with them so well and devote so much attention to them that she feels neglected, and she will pull out the stops to limit time you all have to spend together.

[/scumbag Beren]

Me and her have a good understanding, we know neither likes these situations and will subject each other to them as little as possible. She will even bribe me with materialistic goods to get me to bother seeing her family on the odd occasion.

She's great :aww:

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #604 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 12:46:26 AM »
Drinks aren't remotely cheap any more. Could easily pay 10 euros + per round for me and the lass in Zante last summer.
laganas / my bestest ever hols. :love:
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #605 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 12:49:22 AM »
Yeah I love Zante, real shame I didn't discover that island over the bridge until the last couple of days of our last holiday. TT needs to get his arse there as much as possible though. I have sent him links so it's his fault if he doesn't.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #606 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 02:10:22 AM »
I like to have one great place that I love that I continually go back to (right now it's Montreal) so that I can have a proper vacation where I get to relax and enjoy myself rather than be drinking way too much and hurrying around way too much and not feel like a vacation at all.

You can't beat exploring a new place though.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
« Reply #607 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 12:01:28 PM »
Just finished booking a holiday for me and my other half - we're going to Naples for 2 nights and then over to Sicily for 6 nights, looking forward to visiting places like Pompeii and Herculaneum, as well as hopefully hiring a car and driving around Sicily.

Anyone been to either?

pintofscottsellers

« Reply #608 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 12:19:49 PM »
Just finished booking a holiday for me and my other half - we're going to Naples for 2 nights and then over to Sicily for 6 nights, looking forward to visiting places like Pompeii and Herculaneum, as well as hopefully hiring a car and driving around Sicily.

Anyone been to either?

A haven't been to Sicily but me Mam and Dad have loads of times, always told me how good it is, the foods supposed to be unreal.   

Offline ElDiablo

• General Member
« Reply #609 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 12:30:22 PM »
Pompeii is pretty fascinating for obvious reasons, Naples itself had its nice parts and some rough ones too which you might want to avoid. We just wandered about ourselves without having done any research though tbf. Also been to Messina which is really nice, pretty small but had such a nice laidback atmosphere. There's also a few spots around there where the Godfather was filmed if you're into that.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #610 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 12:48:54 PM »
Going to Milan tomorrow, any last minute tips? Something cool to do in the city, not museums or anything like that
AS9

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
« Reply #611 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 01:29:50 PM »
A haven't been to Sicily but me Mam and Dad have loads of times, always told me how good it is, the foods supposed to be unreal.

Yeah I've heard good things, apparently there's a lot of great seafood so I'm intrigued to try stuff that you don't tend to find over here.  The fruit over there is supposed to be really good as well.

Pompeii is pretty fascinating for obvious reasons, Naples itself had its nice parts and some rough ones too which you might want to avoid. We just wandered about ourselves without having done any research though tbf. Also been to Messina which is really nice, pretty small but had such a nice laidback atmosphere. There's also a few spots around there where the Godfather was filmed if you're into that.

I've always been fascinated with Pompeii since I studied it at school, we've only really got one full day in Naples though so I'm hoping that we'll still manage to see everything and not miss anything out due to the time constraints.  We've booked a hotel reasonably close to the train station and a lot of the reviews said the area wasn't fantastic, but the major benefit is that there's a train station very close by which goes out to a lot of the sights.

Never knew that about Messina actually, I'm quite intrigued now.  We were thinking of driving to Taormina as there's a really nice open-air ampitheatre - http://www.bestofsicily.com/taormina3.jpg - and maybe going to Catania or Messina if we had time.

Offline macphisto

• General Member
« Reply #612 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 02:25:43 PM »
Off to Thailand for work in October so I think I'll take a week out to visit Burma. Heard some really good things about the place and I'll be interested in visiting to see how developed the place is, probably one of the few places in the world that hasn't succumbed to Western trends (It's what I'm hoping for anyway).

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #613 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 06:02:39 PM »
Off to Thailand for work in October so I think I'll take a week out to visit Burma. Heard some really good things about the place and I'll be interested in visiting to see how developed the place is, probably one of the few places in the world that hasn't succumbed to Western trends (It's what I'm hoping for anyway).

Report back if you do, I really fancy going.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #614 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 06:12:57 PM »
Going to Milan tomorrow, any last minute tips? Something cool to do in the city, not museums or anything like that

:lol:

Offline ElDiablo

• General Member
« Reply #615 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 07:06:48 PM »

Yeah I've heard good things, apparently there's a lot of great seafood so I'm intrigued to try stuff that you don't tend to find over here.  The fruit over there is supposed to be really good as well.

I've always been fascinated with Pompeii since I studied it at school, we've only really got one full day in Naples though so I'm hoping that we'll still manage to see everything and not miss anything out due to the time constraints.  We've booked a hotel reasonably close to the train station and a lot of the reviews said the area wasn't fantastic, but the major benefit is that there's a train station very close by which goes out to a lot of the sights.

Never knew that about Messina actually, I'm quite intrigued now.  We were thinking of driving to Taormina as there's a really nice open-air ampitheatre - http://www.bestofsicily.com/taormina3.jpg - and maybe going to Catania or Messina if we had time.

Yeah we went to Sorrento for the day which is on the other side of a bay, nice little town with some decent shops and a beach. If you only have one day there might be stuff higher on your agenda though. Sounds like a good idea for a trip, enjoy.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #616 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 07:32:13 PM »
Go to Sorrento and take one of the boat trips down the coast. Absolutely lush. Worth taking a coach trip to the summit of Vesuvius too. 

There's a local train service, a bit like the Metro that runs right down the coast, stops at Naples, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorrento, everywhere you might want to be really.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #617 on: Monday 12 March 2012, 10:50:36 PM »

:lol:

LaserQuest
Consider winning

Offline adam

• General Member
  • Thoroughly blue veining
« Reply #618 on: Wednesday 14 March 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
Is Magaluf where they filmed The Inbetweeners?  Looks like a mix between Bourbon Street, The Keys, and Soviet Russia.

Nah, that was Malia in Crete. They're all effectively the same though those type of places.

It was set in Malia, but it was filmed in Maga.

Bit stupid like, could have just said they went to Magaluf.  Hardly would have made a difference to the plot.

Aye, never understood the reasoning for that like. f***ing baffling if im honest like, as you say it wouldnt have made a slight bit of difference.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #619 on: Thursday 15 March 2012, 02:03:18 PM »
Milan cut short by a few hours due to them telling us to get an earlier flight. Get to airport, flight delayed at least 2 hours. You would think I was annoyed. Free, unlimited alcohol in the lounge :yao:
AS9

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #620 on: Thursday 15 March 2012, 07:30:03 PM »
I need your job MW.  You're everywhere.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #621 on: Thursday 15 March 2012, 08:44:51 PM »
I need your job MW.  You're everywhere.

job? :yao:

you should see my bank balance
AS9

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #622 on: Wednesday 21 March 2012, 12:34:38 PM »
the big trip to south america begins saturday. 8 weeks in buenos aires first up. any good pubs for watching our matches? other tips?

any idea (disco?) how long it would take to go down to those glaciers in the south? i'm pretty unprepared tbh, just gunna see what happens whilst im out there
AS9

Offline macphisto

• General Member
« Reply #623 on: Wednesday 21 March 2012, 02:03:40 PM »
Are you planning on going to the Igaurzu Falls?

You'll love Buenos Aires for chilling out. The old docks are cool and there's an old part of town with a square and a few interesting shops but I forgot the name (just Google as it's fairly famous). The area is also good for tango

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #624 on: Wednesday 21 March 2012, 02:24:48 PM »
Takes 3hrs by plane (to El Calafate) and by bus you need to go to Rio Gallegos which is 38hrs away and then change. IIRC it's another 2-3 hours from there. We flew one way and bussed it back but we stopped on in Puerto Madryn (about halfway) on the way back to see the penguins/whales.

You know which neighbourhood you're staying in when you're in BA?

The Gibraltar in San Telmo is an 'English' pub so would probably show some, failing that there is Hooters and the likes by  the docklands that might. I didn't watch English football when I was there like as it was the Championship season for us.

Make sure you get to some Primera / River games, there are a ridiculous amount of clubs to choose from in BA and nearly all the kick offs are staggered too which makes it easier.