Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 363465 times)

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
Re: Holidays
« Reply #525 on: Saturday 3 March 2012, 05:22:29 PM »
Booking flights to me granda's house in Torrevieja today.

:thup:

We're going to San Miguel de Salinas just outside Torrevieja in July for a fortnight, my mam and dad have a small apartment there. I don't like Torrevieja city centre, I have to say but I love the general area. San Miguel is lush, beautiful little town full of cracking bars and restaurants, as well as a tremendous municipal pool which is always quiet.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #526 on: Saturday 3 March 2012, 05:23:24 PM »
Average March high even in somewhere as far south as Lisbon is only 18 degrees.

Somewhere I'd thoroughly recommend for a cheap break is Pisa - very cheap with Ryanair from Leeds Bradford, we went for her birthday in October, two nights and pre-booked our trains to Rome before we went and spent our one full day there, as well as having plenty of time to see all the sights and have a good night out in Pisa. Had a great time.

Really fancy Krakow after reading some of the posts a few pages up.

You go to Florence Wullie? Beautiful city.

Bezzer the obvious ones to me would Barça, Valencia, Malaga or Lisbon. Malaga will probably be the warmest and there'd be day trip opportunities to Seville/Cordoba/Granada all of which are supposed to beautiful.

If temp is more of a priority then beach Marrakech is pretty warm all year round.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #527 on: Saturday 3 March 2012, 05:26:01 PM »
Interesting food for thought. Iberia looking the place to be. Might need to consult the fixture lists to see which is the place to be :laugh: :blush:

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #528 on: Saturday 3 March 2012, 05:26:03 PM »

Somewhere I'd thoroughly recommend for a cheap break is Pisa - very cheap with Ryanair from Leeds Bradford, we went for her birthday in October, two nights and pre-booked our trains to Rome before we went and spent our one full day there, as well as having plenty of time to see all the sights and have a good night out in Pisa. Had a great time.

Bezzer the obvious ones to me would Barça, Valencia, Malaga or Lisbon. Malaga will probably be the warmest and there'd be day trip opportunities to Seville/Cordoba/Granada all of which are supposed to beautiful.

If beach isn't a priority Marrakech is pretty warm this time of year.

Nah we ummed and aahed between there and Rome and went for the latter because she'd never been and really wanted to go, would definitely stay in Pisa again and do Florence though.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #529 on: Saturday 3 March 2012, 05:27:37 PM »

If beach isn't a priority Marrakech is pretty warm this time of year.

Nah we ummed and aahed between there and Rome and went for the latter because she'd never been and really wanted to go, would definitely stay in Pisa again and do Florence though.

Fair do's, always good to have an excuse to go back though :thup:

Jet2 have just started flying to Italy from NCL n all, quite fancy going back myself. Went on a trip with school last time, seems like a lifetime ago.

Offline johnnypd

• General Member
« Reply #530 on: Saturday 3 March 2012, 05:28:16 PM »
Interesting food for thought. Iberia looking the place to be. Might need to consult the fixture lists to see which is the place to be :laugh: :blush:

Barcelona? take in a game at the nou camp, lush food, buzzing, beautiful city, awesome culture and nightlife, beaches as well, mountains a taxi ride away.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #531 on: Saturday 3 March 2012, 05:29:12 PM »

Barcelona? take in a game at the nou camp, lush food, buzzing, beautiful city, awesome culture and nightlife, beaches as well, mountains a taxi ride away.

They're away at Racing, but will still bear it in mind. Mountains are a good selling point for me.

Offline henke

• General Member
« Reply #532 on: Saturday 3 March 2012, 05:40:36 PM »
Amsterdam on the boat tomorrow right after the match. Not going to the game though unfortunately.

Offline johnnypd

• General Member
« Reply #533 on: Saturday 3 March 2012, 05:42:37 PM »

They're away at Racing, but will still bear it in mind. Mountains are a good selling point for me.

montserrat near barcelona is worth a visit for the landscape alone.

when are you going? just check on your local airport's wiki page to see destinations. unless you live in that london which wouldnt help as you can pretty much go anywhere.

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #534 on: Saturday 3 March 2012, 05:50:38 PM »
Suggestions for a relatively close city break location which will be warm/hot this time of year? Beach and scenic city preferred.

Thanks in advance to those of you better-travelled :thup:

Lisbon.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #535 on: Saturday 3 March 2012, 06:36:28 PM »
Might be a bit quiet but Dubrovnik encompasses all your wants too.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #536 on: Sunday 4 March 2012, 09:02:44 AM »
Interesting article on the BBC about travelling:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17226643

Agree with this in particular:

It may be a cliche but there is no doubt that technology makes the world feel a smaller - and less interesting - place.

It has the habit of shrinking the distances between countries and merging cultures.

For me, real adventure travel does not just come from the journey itself but from feeling cut off from one's normal way of life - a situation that forces you to accept what you find and become absorbed by it.

And being isolated can also be exciting since it often brings a frisson of risk.

Unfortunately, with the unseen umbilical cord of a mobile or internet connection, it is much more of a challenge to experience the unfamiliar and leave the familiar behind.

In short, adventures are not quite so, well, adventurous.

Did a lot of travelling in Aisa and Australia before the internet really took off and it was a very different experience - does anyone go anywhere these days without knowing exactly what it's going to look like and what they'll be able to do when they get there?

Offline ross magoo

• General Member
« Reply #537 on: Sunday 4 March 2012, 11:18:30 AM »
Milan for two nights in April then a train to Turin to see the mighty Lazio whoop Juventus.

Then i'll just be waiting to see who Dundee United get in Europe.
I'm bored of Hampden anyway

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #538 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 11:08:28 AM »
You'll be glad to know, despite all your (much appreciated) contributions, I've wasted all your time/effort - and decided to bugger off to Lake Windermere for a photography weekend :laugh:

I haven't been to the Lakes in an offensively long time and the tepid temperatures on continental Europe probably aren't worth the hassle of going cross-border at such short notice. I know it's not a great deal of hassle, but still. Thanks for your help everyone :)

Need to research the weather before I book, maybe. Although it won't stop me either way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline adam

• General Member
  • Thoroughly blue veining
« Reply #539 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 11:55:38 AM »
Booking flights to me granda's house in Torrevieja today.

:thup:

We're going to San Miguel de Salinas just outside Torrevieja in July for a fortnight, my mam and dad have a small apartment there. I don't like Torrevieja city centre, I have to say but I love the general area. San Miguel is lush, beautiful little town full of cracking bars and restaurants, as well as a tremendous municipal pool which is always quiet.

Aye theres not a great deal to do in Torry like, bar get p*ssed and go to the beach. I might even see if i can get tickets for an FC Torrevieja match if theyre playing.

ObiChrisKenobi

« Reply #540 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 11:59:11 AM »
2 weeks in New York/CT for 4th July again this Summer. CANNOT WAIT.

Dunkin Donuts calls to me. Like a Siren on the winds.

Might even make a trip down to Philly and leave a burning bag of crap outside SEMTEX house.

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #541 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 12:03:59 PM »
Might be a bit quiet but Dubrovnik encompasses all your wants too.

Dubrovnik is a fantastic long weekend trip away.  Weather should be decent enough in March I would have thought as well.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • Only $50 pm
« Reply #542 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 02:59:23 PM »
2 weeks in New York/CT for 4th July again this Summer. CANNOT WAIT.

Dunkin Donuts calls to me. Like a Siren on the winds.

Might even make a trip down to Philly and leave a burning bag of crap outside SEMTEX house.

Delightful.

Offline KDT

• General Member
« Reply #543 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 04:56:12 PM »
Been looking at doing New York plus another state for a couple of weeks in late september, hopefully doing a weekend in Dublin for the Notre Dame v Navy game first week of September

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • Only $50 pm
« Reply #544 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 04:56:56 PM »
Been looking at doing New York plus another state for a couple of weeks in late september, hopefully doing a weekend in Dublin for the Notre Dame v Navy game first week of September

You should try Delaware...

Offline KDT

• General Member
« Reply #545 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 04:59:33 PM »

Nah was thinking more a ranch in Wyoming

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #546 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 05:08:26 PM »
Gan to Mexico for a mate's wedding in May, El Dorado Seaside Suites in Riviera Del Maya. First time i've went all-inclusive, can't wait.

It's got some more-than-decent ratings on Trip Advisor as well.
Consider winning

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • Only $50 pm
« Reply #547 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 05:09:33 PM »

Nah was thinking more a ranch in Wyoming

Delaware is TAX FREE. Persuaded?

Offline Tooj

• General Member
Re: Re: Holidays
« Reply #548 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 05:11:39 PM »
Gan to Mexico for a mate's wedding in May, El Dorado Seaside Suites in Riviera Del Maya. First time i've went all-inclusive, can't wait.

Envisaging some Karl Pilkington style shenanigans from you like.
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #549 on: Monday 5 March 2012, 05:25:09 PM »

Envisaging some Karl Pilkington style shenanigans from you like.

No doubt, the varying flavours of tequila they have there will only aid my adventures.
Consider winning