Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 377200 times)

Offline MW

• General Member
Re: Holidays
« Reply #425 on: Tuesday 20 September 2011, 12:13:18 AM »
Got back from 3 weeks in America today. Was absolutely amazing. New York very intense, doing all the touristy stuff, went to the US open which was class. Couple good nights out, expensive mind.

San Francisco we stayed with family friends, a very necessary relaxed break after NY. Played golf, baseball cages, few nice meals in the city and a very welcome drop in price after NY.

San Diego for 3 nights, nice place, got a feel for the place but the one time we ventured into the city, we got distracted by a happy hour and sat there for hours, good night out SD as well.

Then onto Vegas, absolutely class. Saturday just gone woke up at 7am to follow the match on here, then got helicopter ride to the grand canyon, was amazing. went for a steak at the mgm grand after that and then went to the fight, amazing experience and such a controversial one to have gone to. Didn't do too badly on the gambling front, lost about $20 overall but I wasnt betting big as I was running low on money.

very eventful few weeks, glad to be home now though need to recharge the batteries and get some stuff sorted. Best holiday I've had so far by a mile

EDIT: Last night BA said they might need people to fly the next day so needed volunteers, would pay for hotel as well as compensate with $1300, gutted they didn't need me to in the end.
AS9

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #426 on: Tuesday 20 September 2011, 12:14:28 AM »
Just had a week in Ibiza, it was really good and pretty chilled - I like how you can choose to go where the mad stuff is or totally stay away from it.

In the airport now, the return flight is over three hours late, FFS.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #427 on: Tuesday 20 September 2011, 12:22:25 AM »
Just had a week in Ibiza, it was really good and pretty chilled - I like how you can choose to go where the mad stuff is or totally stay away from it.

In the airport now, the return flight is over three hours late, FFS.

Where abouts did you stay? I really liked Ibiza but we stayed in the quietest place known to man (which is probably why Roman Abramovich sp? has a place there).

Sounds like and awesome holiday MW.

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #428 on: Sunday 9 October 2011, 11:18:19 AM »
I used to know a site that would give you a graph of typical flight prices between two cities over a year, so you could see when would be cheapest to go, but now I can't remember what it was (thought it was skyscanner, but can't seem to find it), anyone got any ideas?

ta.

Offline cfcmagpies

• General Member
« Reply #429 on: Sunday 9 October 2011, 11:23:54 AM »
Have a feeling Bing has a function that will do that for you. Never used it myself though.
"Whenever I have a nightmare it isn't in colour.  It's always black and white, the colours of the meanest, toughest  club ever to run on to a football field.  Collingwood.  I've laboured the point of my hatred of Collingwood and it isn't a friendly dislike - as a club they rankle me.  You couldn't like them, they think they are God's gift to football, they shun all outsiders and the only time I like to think of Collingwood is when they lose, because it hurts them so much. I've always been a bad loser, but I'm a good sport compared to Collingwood.  If they win they gloat, if they lose they hide themselves away and sulk.  When they lose they never visit your rooms or congratulate you and they'll send you round hot beer to have a drink.  I wouldn't drink anything they offered, you wouldn't know what they had done to it." Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer.

Offline maybe_next_year

• General Member
« Reply #430 on: Sunday 9 October 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
I used to know a site that would give you a graph of typical flight prices between two cities over a year, so you could see when would be cheapest to go, but now I can't remember what it was (thought it was skyscanner, but can't seem to find it), anyone got any ideas?

ta.

skyscanner does a graph for the month, but not a whole year (although they show you the cheapest price per month. could be thinking of that? when you enter the date you want to go there is an option for 'whole month' or 'whole year'.
"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #431 on: Sunday 9 October 2011, 12:24:13 PM »
On a similar note, I'd like to be able to pick a departure airport on a particular day and see all flight prices from that airport to all destinations. Sometimes I want to go somewhere at a particular time but don't particularly care where, as long as it's cheap enough, but end up having to trawl through all destinations - cheapest this past week for the missus' birthday was Pisa for three days and took the train to Rome for the full day, had a great time. :thup:
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #432 on: Sunday 9 October 2011, 12:41:23 PM »
You can do that on Skyscanner.

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #433 on: Sunday 9 October 2011, 01:46:54 PM »
Thinking about Japan.

Still can't find the stupid website though, it's really annoying me now.  :icon_scratch:

I've just started thinking about it and have found flights for about £550 for a month in September next year, but I've actually got enough miles to do it like that if necessary. Also, I've read that people reckon 8000 yen per day is the minimum including accommodation, is that still true or has the earthquake/tsunami changed things? In fact, if anyone's been recently, how has that affected things in general?

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #434 on: Sunday 9 October 2011, 02:25:13 PM »
Theres a fair few articles on Japan on the Guardian travel section at the moment.

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #435 on: Sunday 9 October 2011, 02:36:34 PM »
Cheers. :thup:

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #436 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 04:15:57 PM »
I am going to Pittsburgh for the weekend. I guess this counts as a holiday? It's going to be cold, and fairly s***. Anyone want anything?

elbee909

« Reply #437 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 07:16:02 PM »
Just back from a few days in Bath.  It's all almost too nice.

Offline maybe_next_year

• General Member
« Reply #438 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 07:21:23 PM »
off to visit chernobyl in a week  :snod:
"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."

elbee909

« Reply #439 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 07:22:32 PM »

Keep an eye on those geiger counters kids, tick tick tickety means run your ass outta there. Then pop some Rad-away for good measure.

Offline Christmas Tree

• I don't like Jonas.
  • General Member
  • Reality hits you hard Bro!
« Reply #440 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 07:26:35 PM »
I am going to Pittsburgh for the weekend. I guess this counts as a holiday? It's going to be cold, and fairly s***. Anyone want anything?

When I think of Pittsburgh, I always think of that dreary, depressing little town that was used in the Deer Hunter. Im sure its really nice.

While double checking that it was filmed in / around Pittsburgh, the following list of top 10 films filmed in Pittsburgh popped up. You may find it useful in bars, dinner parties or overcoming embarrassing silences with boring relatives.

1. Silence of the Lambs
2. Night of the living dead
3. The Deer Hunter
4. Wonder Boys
5. Lorenzo's Oil
6. Angels in the outfield
7. Dogma
8. Flashdance
9. Hoffa
10. Inspector Gadget

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #441 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 07:57:06 PM »
They filmed the new Batman there too. Bit too late to get in the background tho unfortunately :(

Though, not entirely use what they're saying about a place when they think it resembles Gotham.

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #442 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 07:59:19 PM »

Massively jealous, let us see your pictures. :thup:

Offline maybe_next_year

• General Member
« Reply #443 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 08:05:54 PM »

Massively jealous, let us see your pictures. :thup:

almost forgot about my camera!  :lol:. will do.

Offline Greg

• General Member
« Reply #444 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 08:35:53 PM »
Off to Turkey, Israel and Egypt in December.

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #445 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 09:09:49 PM »

If you ever want to go anywhere in the Middle East or the rest of the Muslim world, then don't let them stamp your passport.

Offline Greg

• General Member
« Reply #446 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 09:43:18 PM »

If you ever want to go anywhere in the Middle East or the rest of the Muslim world, then don't let them stamp your passport.

Aye, we're going there last but I'll certainly try to stop them from stamping it

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #447 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 09:49:34 PM »

Aye, we're going there last but I'll certainly try to stop them from stamping it

Apparently it's simply a case of asking them not to, you've just got to remember to do it.

Heneage

« Reply #448 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 09:51:04 PM »
What would happen if they saw said stamp?

Offline Mr. Snrub

• General Member
  • Messi
« Reply #449 on: Thursday 3 November 2011, 09:53:33 PM »
They cut off your foreskin.