Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 397505 times)

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
Re: Hollibobs
« Reply #7950 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 10:09:01 AM »
Planning a trip to Russia for January, little bit sketch like as the Russian Govt have been pretty strict with their restrictions. They're lifted at the moment but can't help but anticipate a winter-surge in cases would see them put back in place and flights there aren't exactly cheap. We shall see, but I'm wanting to go to St. Petersburg for 4-5 days then take the Sapsan or possibly the slower overnight train to Moscow and spend some time there too. Ideally I'd also venture in land too as I want to go visit some of the Gulags such as Perm 36 and Omsk but will just depend on time off work/visa length etc.
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Offline Slim

• General Member
« Reply #7951 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 10:21:55 AM »
Went to Moscow airport once and that was enough for me like.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #7952 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 10:22:47 AM »
Went on a night out with Russians in India, that was enough for me.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7953 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 10:28:44 AM »
Don’t recommend the tea.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #7954 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 10:29:35 AM »

Arambol, Goa by any chance?
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #7955 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 10:31:11 AM »
I was looking for places I could visit from Japan while I'm there and thought about Vladivostok as it's always struck me as a weird/interesting place.

Looked though it on Google maps and had a quick look at some of the local hotels.

I do not want to go there anymore.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #7956 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 10:31:26 AM »

Goa, aye, can’t remember the town. Also in Turkey. They’re mental, and obsessed with how much money you earn.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #7957 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 10:54:11 AM »

Goa, aye, can’t remember the town. Also in Turkey. They’re mental, and obsessed with how much money you earn.

Thought so, Goa is their Benidorm, so based on that you're probably getting a pretty harsh temperature of the Russian people. They're generally great people from my experience with them and quite warm & open, which goes against much of our stereotypes about the country.

I do romanticise Russia a bit though, all of my favourite artists & writers are from there so I'm sure my imagination creates a fantastical image of certain aspects of Russia which will not be entirely fitting to the reality, but a place I've wanted to visit for years now.

Offline ponsaelius

• General Member
« Reply #7958 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 11:27:51 AM »
Moscow and St Petersburg are both awesome.
Before that why didn't the Wigan fans just walk the the Stewart's, the Stewart's only went up to the touchline, their was a big gap between the end of the Stewart's and the stand they could have walked through.
God man replacement's don't have to 100% of best to 100% of a replacement.
The are both white, both intellects, both middle class, both the typical 'people who would have thought could never do such a thing ', all traits of a Psychopath.

Offline Slim

• General Member
« Reply #7959 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 11:33:47 AM »

Not if you are openly gay

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #7960 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 11:43:39 AM »

You been to both? Any tips or recommendations? Trip is mainly going to be centred around architecture and Soviet sight-seeing like with the addition of a few historical landmarks in St Petersburg to do with the music scene from the late Soviet era. Travelling alone but I'm fairly well acquainted with the language and currently have a tutor teaching me some more intermediate stuff so hoping to have a pretty integrated experience. I've been told there's a bit of a hidden gem flea market on the way to Zelenograd just outside of Moscow that sells a huge number is Soviet artefacts for next to nothing. Posters, badges, CCCP belt buckles, cameras etc. Definitely be wanting to check that out like.

Offline ponsaelius

• General Member
« Reply #7961 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 01:44:51 PM »

You been to both? Any tips or recommendations? Trip is mainly going to be centred around architecture and Soviet sight-seeing like with the addition of a few historical landmarks in St Petersburg to do with the music scene from the late Soviet era. Travelling alone but I'm fairly well acquainted with the language and currently have a tutor teaching me some more intermediate stuff so hoping to have a pretty integrated experience. I've been told there's a bit of a hidden gem flea market on the way to Zelenograd just outside of Moscow that sells a huge number is Soviet artefacts for next to nothing. Posters, badges, CCCP belt buckles, cameras etc. Definitely be wanting to check that out like.

OK if you're wanting soviet Kitsch then there's an arcade museum (in both cities, although I went to the Moscow one) that has all USSR era arcade machines you can play on with old kopeks. Stalin's Bunker tour is pretty fascinating - built secretly when they were building the metro. Museum of the Cosmonauts is a must see if you're interested in the space race. In terms of architecture I'm sure there is loads of books covering constructivist, stalinist, modernist periods that you could use as a guide - then travel around on the Metro (which is amazing in itself) to take lots of great pictures. Things like the state university building are a must see.

St Petersburg is a great counterpoint to Moscow as it's totally different. I know you're going mainly for later 20th century history but certainly worth seeing the Peterhof, Winter Palace, Churches etc to take in the sheer grandiosity of the city. The Museum of Political History of Russia is good but severely lacking in english translations when I was there - may be better with a tour guide.
Before that why didn't the Wigan fans just walk the the Stewart's, the Stewart's only went up to the touchline, their was a big gap between the end of the Stewart's and the stand they could have walked through.
God man replacement's don't have to 100% of best to 100% of a replacement.
The are both white, both intellects, both middle class, both the typical 'people who would have thought could never do such a thing ', all traits of a Psychopath.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #7962 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 01:53:03 PM »

OK if you're wanting soviet Kitsch then there's an arcade museum (in both cities, although I went to the Moscow one) that has all USSR era arcade machines you can play on with old kopeks. Stalin's Bunker tour is pretty fascinating - built secretly when they were building the metro. Museum of the Cosmonauts is a must see if you're interested in the space race. In terms of architecture I'm sure there is loads of books covering constructivist, stalinist, modernist periods that you could use as a guide - then travel around on the Metro (which is amazing in itself) to take lots of great pictures. Things like the state university building are a must see.

St Petersburg is a great counterpoint to Moscow as it's totally different. I know you're going mainly for later 20th century history but certainly worth seeing the Peterhof, Winter Palace, Churches etc to take in the sheer grandiosity of the city. The Museum of Political History of Russia is good but severely lacking in english translations when I was there - may be better with a tour guide.

Cheers man :thup: Yeah the metro stations themselves look ridiculously beautiful especially when placed in comparison with ours in England. It was similar in Belarus too, some of them were so elaborate and well-kept. And indeed regarding the SPB/Moscow contrast, partially why I want to fit both into the same trip as they're so radically different and offer entirely different insights into the recent and distant rich Russian history and culture.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #7963 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 01:58:51 PM »
I reckon countries might start closing their borders to us soon.  We're about where Spain and France were when we did it to them.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7964 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 02:16:53 PM »
I reckon countries might start closing their borders to us soon.  We're about where Spain and France were when we did it to them.

I was having a look on the FCO website the other day and there's very few places you go without being asked to quarantine on arrival already if they're not testing at the airport.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #7965 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 02:21:22 PM »

Thought so, Goa is their Benidorm, so based on that you're probably getting a pretty harsh temperature of the Russian people. They're generally great people from my experience with them and quite warm & open, which goes against much of our stereotypes about the country.

I do romanticise Russia a bit though, all of my favourite artists & writers are from there so I'm sure my imagination creates a fantastical image of certain aspects of Russia which will not be entirely fitting to the reality, but a place I've wanted to visit for years now.

They were nice enough, just very alpha male.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #7966 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 09:14:51 PM »
Anyone been to Madeira? Still on the OK to travel list and not that expensive. Almost no Covid cases either.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7967 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 09:19:26 PM »
Anyone been to Madeira? Still on the OK to travel list and not that expensive. Almost no Covid cases either.

I can ask some friends who have been and Portuguese at work?

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #7968 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 09:25:33 PM »

I can ask some friends who have been and Portuguese at work?

Aye, not a big deal obvs. Looks nice enough, has similar climate to the canaries and is not that expensive.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #7969 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 09:31:32 PM »
It looks really nice but the thing that's put me off in the past is I believe it has a very aged demographic of holidaymakers, probably alright at the minute though.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #7970 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 09:34:33 PM »
Ah yeah, makes sense. I've never really heard it talked about.