Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 376841 times)

Offline Ian W

• General Member
Re: Hollibobs
« Reply #7725 on: Thursday 21 May 2020, 03:16:19 PM »
Aye, even in Montreux the supermarket was OK. Banging chocolate section.

Offline TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #7726 on: Thursday 21 May 2020, 05:25:32 PM »
Had an email from TUI, and whilst they haven't cancelled our August holiday yet, they are allowing a free rearrangement/rebooking for holidays due to leave by end of August.

Think were going to have a look and rebook for next summer instead. Suppose it means we can choise a potentially better holiday, as we've already saved this years balance, and will have a year to save the rest for another holiday.

At least its lifted some of the uncertainty for us now.
Claim to fame.... Han Solo stole my uniform.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7727 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 11:42:29 AM »
Spanish islands like the canary's will be open for foreign toursim by July it seems.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #7728 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 11:57:18 AM »
Spanish islands like the canary's will be open for foreign toursim by July it seems.

Tempted to move there if I can get a flight. Will there be quarantine on arrival?

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #7729 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 11:57:25 AM »

Not for visitors from the UK presumably?

Cyprus are aiming to get some tourists in again from the 9th June - there's 2 lists of countries, one where they're allowed in now with restrictions, another with those allowed in a bit later. The UK isn't on either list.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7730 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 12:04:11 PM »

Cyprus are aiming to get some tourists in again from the 9th June - there's 2 lists of countries, one where they're allowed in now with restrictions, another with those allowed in a bit later. The UK isn't on either list.

No mention of what countries.  They are aiming to get domestic tourism sorted by the end of june, we can't move between regions in Spain still.

Offline TaylorJ_01

• General Member
  • Nearly funniest poster 2015
« Reply #7731 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 12:22:34 PM »
Booked a flight to Copenhagen in October. Figured they'd be well out of the woods by then and it was only £50 so no major loss if cancelled.

Whether they let people from the UK over is another question :lol:
I am currently happy. Its weekend. Time to unwind after a stressful work days.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Norway
« Reply #7732 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 01:29:56 PM »
We're opening our borders to Nordic countries on 15th June (except Sweden) and then rest of Europe on July 15th, with the expectation of Rest of the World on August 20th (including Sweden).
But only in their dreams can men be truly free. It was always thus and always thus will be.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7733 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 07:51:54 PM »

No mention of what countries.  They are aiming to get domestic tourism sorted by the end of june, we can't move between regions in Spain still.

Announced today that the whole country will be reopened to foreign tourism from some point in July.

Offline TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #7734 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 08:11:50 PM »
Just changed our holiday to next August, and going to Cyprus instead of Greece, now.

There was just too much uncertainty to risk going away this summer, what with potential quarantine issues on return to the UK.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7735 on: Sunday 24 May 2020, 03:17:59 AM »
Got flights to Spain booked in Sept, written them off in my head already, but suspect they’ll actually fly so nen comp. Got pretty much my whole years holiday allowance still to use regardless, as we had to cancel Easter trip, therefore might see if we can do something localish or Scotch of rules get relaxed a bit although I’d still be sketchy.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #7736 on: Sunday 24 May 2020, 04:23:32 AM »
It's been, 8 weeks since this whole thing started right? Has the Discman ever gone that long without jetsetting to another continent?

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #7737 on: Sunday 24 May 2020, 11:37:51 AM »
Haven’t been abroad (unless you class Scotland) since December. Probably the longest since I finished uni, aye. Sickening scenes.

Offline Slim

• General Member
« Reply #7738 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 10:13:15 AM »
I can carry 20 days over at work each year. Think when this is done will just have a 60 day trip as i'm saving a fortune at the moment

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #7739 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 10:38:00 AM »
Definitely considering a gap year, except it'll be such a struggle to travel around.

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #7740 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 11:28:56 AM »
Things seem to be moving a lot quicker than people anticipated. Dubai reopening for tourist in July so haven't completely written off my holiday yet although still touch and go.

Greece reopening in June I think I read as well.
Could it have feasibly climbed high enough to leave the atmosphere? ???

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #7741 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 11:30:04 AM »
Things seem to be moving a lot quicker than people anticipated. Dubai reopening for tourist in July so haven't completely written off my holiday yet although still touch and go.

Greece not reopening to Brits.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7742 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 11:32:21 AM »
Probably will do a 2 week trip across Spain to the places I haven't been to yet in August for my summer hols and help out the tourism industry out here, will avoid resorts though.

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #7743 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 11:34:46 AM »

Greece not reopening to Brits.

Yeah just opening up in general I meant.

Offline TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #7744 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 11:37:00 AM »

Yeah, we mulled it back and forth, but our worry was that by late August holiday firms might have started sending people on their holiday whilst a quarantine was still required by the UK on return, which is just not feasible. So once TUI extended their free amendment policy to include our departure date, we just decided to bit the bullet and move the holiday. Also means the new balance isn't due till May 2021 as well.

We are of course keeping an eye on things, and we usually try and have a weekend in Ibiza for Cafe Mambo closing party (Early October). So if things are moving again by then with no restrictions, we'll be looking to try and get over for that weekend.

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #7745 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 11:41:40 AM »

Yeah, we mulled it back and forth, but our worry was that by late August holiday firms might have started sending people on their holiday whilst a quarantine was still required by the UK on return, which is just not feasible. So once TUI extended their free amendment policy to include our departure date, we just decided to bit the bullet and move the holiday. Also means the new balance isn't due till May 2021 as well.

We are of course keeping an eye on things, and we usually try and have a weekend in Ibiza for Cafe Mambo closing party (Early October). So if things are moving again by then with no restrictions, we'll be looking to try and get over for that weekend.

:thup:

I think if we can get an amendment we will, even if we can go in August the social distancing restrictions would probably but spoil the holiday to an extent. Will just have to wait and see. A trip before the end of the year sounds good though.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #7746 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 11:42:36 AM »
I went to Tenerife in December last year and it was immense weather, holding out for that again maybe.

A Christmas holiday is mint, relax before getting back to the family/parents.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #7747 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 12:54:53 PM »
Odds on going to Berlin before the year's out? Architecture/photography trip mainly so not worried about being there as I'll be outdoors on foot, but chances of even getting there?

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7748 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 12:56:19 PM »
Odds on going to Berlin before the year's out? Architecture/photography trip mainly so not worried about being there as I'll be outdoors on foot, but chances of even getting there?

99%. They've already opened their borders.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #7749 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 01:00:00 PM »
:thup:

So it's just the case of waiting for UK borders to open. Good stuff. That said I'm not going to be rushing there at the earliest opportunity like, would rather bide my time. It would be nice to begin planning for it though.