Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 368356 times)

Online Varadi

• General Member
Re: Hollibobs
« Reply #7600 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 08:20:47 AM »
Probably a bit early to be thinking about this (but f*** it, I'm locked down and have no work :lol:) but I wonder what the longer term effects of this will be on the travel industry?

I would imagine it's going to make people wary of travel for a long time, and a lot of airlines and travel businesses might not make it at all.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #7601 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 08:44:35 AM »
Surely people will be desperate to travel as soon as they're allowed? Obviously it will still wreck loads of companies, but I'm not sure it will affect demand in the long term.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #7602 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 08:47:13 AM »
Surely people will be desperate to travel as soon as they're allowed? Obviously it will still wreck loads of companies, but I'm not sure it will affect demand in the long term.

There's going to be a huge difference between people who are still getting paid and those who aren't when we finally emerge from it, a lot of people really struggling but also a lot with a huge amount of spare cash relative to normal.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7603 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 08:49:01 AM »
I've applied for a voucher from BA and received nowt in return - ie. no email confirmation. All I get after hitting submit is a message saying they'll confirm in five days. I've done it a few times. Hopefully it's recorded on a system somewhere, but at least something in automated in writing would provide peace of mind.

Just wait for this, you will get the voucher.  Customer service at all travel companies is stretched beyond means.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #7604 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 09:05:48 AM »

There's going to be a huge difference between people who are still getting paid and those who aren't when we finally emerge from it, a lot of people really struggling but also a lot with a huge amount of spare cash relative to normal.

Yeah of course, in fact this whole thing will highlight the differences in society. Like, I can easily work from home and will probably manage to work for at least a couple of months... so many other people either lose their jobs or still have to go in. Very odd.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7605 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 11:09:51 AM »
Alitalia nationalised.

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #7606 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 01:04:03 PM »
What are people doing about holidays booked for August/September time?

Booked Dubai and i'm sure to make a payment of £1500 in a weeks time but I've no idea what my rights are if it gets cancelled?
Could it have feasibly climbed high enough to leave the atmosphere? ???

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7607 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 01:10:35 PM »

Booked Dubai and i'm sure to make a payment of £1500 in a weeks time but I've no idea what my rights are if it gets cancelled?

Is it a fully packaged holiday?  If yes, then you'll be refunded if it gets cancelled or any of the companies go bust (e.g. airline, hotels).

I'd pay with a CC as well and also ensure you have insurance.

Offline TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #7608 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 01:34:46 PM »

We're booked for Corfu in late August, and the balance of the deposit is due the end of this month. The balance of the holiday is due by end of May.

Intention is to pay both of those, but if it gets to May and this is ongoing, then hopefully there'll be some clarity on whether the holiday itself is likely to go ahead. Either way as a package with TUI, we should get our money back if it gets cancelled closer to August.

It used to be simply if the FCO advised not to travel to a certain country, but now it seems the holiday companies are taking 'local restrictions' into account as well as the FCO advice. Bottom line as above, if the airline/holiday firm cancels it, then they have to refund you or if time, offer the option of an alternative holiday or a refund.
Claim to fame.... Han Solo stole my uniform.

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #7609 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 01:58:26 PM »

Is it a fully packaged holiday?  If yes, then you'll be refunded if it gets cancelled or any of the companies go bust (e.g. airline, hotels).

I'd pay with a CC as well and also ensure you have insurance.

Good shout about the CC (although the deposit wasn't paid by CC?)

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #7610 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 01:59:58 PM »
Actually paid for mine on cc but have already gone to insurance. Would I be better pursuing through cc you reckon? Never done that before.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #7611 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 02:04:50 PM »

We're booked for Corfu in late August, and the balance of the deposit is due the end of this month. The balance of the holiday is due by end of May.

Intention is to pay both of those, but if it gets to May and this is ongoing, then hopefully there'll be some clarity on whether the holiday itself is likely to go ahead. Either way as a package with TUI, we should get our money back if it gets cancelled closer to August.

It used to be simply if the FCO advised not to travel to a certain country, but now it seems the holiday companies are taking 'local restrictions' into account as well as the FCO advice. Bottom line as above, if the airline/holiday firm cancels it, then they have to refund you or if time, offer the option of an alternative holiday or a refund.

Awesome that's good to know.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7612 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 02:19:18 PM »
Only around 30 airlines around the world are likely to survive the coronavirus crisis, according to the International Air Transport Association.

Online WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #7613 on: Tuesday 17 March 2020, 02:22:19 PM »
As long as Venga Airways survives.

Dunno how I’d ever get to Ibiza otherwise.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • where is your god now
« Reply #7614 on: Sunday 22 March 2020, 03:30:50 AM »

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #7615 on: Sunday 22 March 2020, 03:55:51 AM »
He looks like he tried to copy Hitler's style but got the wrong lip.

Offline TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #7616 on: Sunday 22 March 2020, 01:52:12 PM »
We have a cabin booked in the lakes for the Easter hols, but the company we booked through have only offered free booking amendments (up to end of 2021). They won't allow cancellations/refunds unless the government guidance changes to restrict travel within the UK.

So I've emailed and asked if they can shift it to Easter next year instead.

Seen loads of posts on Facebook saying the Lake district is quite busy this weekend with an influx of people since the schools closed. People seem to think 'self isolation' means early holidays.
Claim to fame.... Han Solo stole my uniform.

Online WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #7617 on: Sunday 22 March 2020, 01:57:16 PM »
We have a cabin booked in the lakes for the Easter hols, but the company we booked through have only offered free booking amendments (up to end of 2021). They won't allow cancellations/refunds unless the government guidance changes to restrict travel within the UK.

So I've emailed and asked if they can shift it to Easter next year instead.

Seen loads of posts on Facebook saying the Lake district is quite busy this weekend with an influx of people since the schools closed. People seem to think 'self isolation' means early holidays.

Aye, the ACC for Cumbria Police put a message out yesterday telling people from out-of-county to stay away and not treat the pandemic as a holiday.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Norway
« Reply #7618 on: Sunday 22 March 2020, 03:10:33 PM »
Only around 30 airlines around the world are likely to survive the coronavirus crisis, according to the International Air Transport Association.

Norwegian government likely to buy into Norwegian to save them last I heard.
But only in their dreams can men be truly free. It was always thus and always thus will be.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7619 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 10:23:28 AM »

Norwegian government likely to buy into Norwegian to save them last I heard.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-20/norwegian-air-s-270-million-state-rescue-comes-with-strings

Offline chopey

• General Member
  • Co Durham, England.
« Reply #7620 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:35:32 PM »
Just had an email to say Vodaphone are charging £6 a day in Turkey to use my phone there if I manage to go this summer
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7621 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:46:40 PM »
That's correct, it's not part of the EU.

Offline thomas

• General Member
  • where is your god now
« Reply #7622 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:49:52 PM »
That's correct, it's part of the EU.
Are they passing on some outrageous EU surcharge though or just using it as an excuse to print free money?

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #7623 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:51:12 PM »
Are they passing on some outrageous EU surcharge though or just using it as an excuse to print free money?

I forgot a word, not. :blush:

We have free roaming across the EU, otherwise you have to pay unless it's already part of your cell phone contract.

Offline thomas

• General Member
  • where is your god now
« Reply #7624 on: Thursday 26 March 2020, 04:56:35 PM »

I forgot a word, not. :blush:

We have free roaming across the EU, otherwise you have to pay unless it's already part of your cell phone contract.
Didn't even see 'Turkey' in the OP tbh, I thought it was a brexit thing. :lol: