Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 314760 times)

Offline chopey

• General Member
Re: Hollibobs
« Reply #6425 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 06:04:54 pm »
I fancy New York for a week in August for me my wife and my 15 year old son but don't even know where to start for best place to stay for the sights, where to fly to and from (Newcastle ?) transfers from the hotel, value for money, how much spends I'll need ect. any advice from seasoned travellers would be very helpful

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #6426 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 07:19:57 pm »
Anyone been to Namibia? I planned on going to Vietnam but then I decided to go with South Africa again, but now I've booked a flight to Namibia instead (from Joburg). Will do a 3-4 day tour in the Namibian desert. Maybe Etosha National park as well. Haven't done any research yet so if you have any tips please shoot.

Been dying to go there for yonks. Looks amazing.

Aye mate, same here. Really looks like a cool place.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • #votekaka2018
« Reply #6427 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 09:08:41 pm »
I fancy New York for a week in August for me my wife and my 15 year old son but don't even know where to start for best place to stay for the sights, where to fly to and from (Newcastle ?) transfers from the hotel, value for money, how much spends I'll need ect. any advice from seasoned travellers would be very helpful

There's a thread solely on NY kicking about somewhere.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Amazing shoes
« Reply #6428 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 10:10:28 pm »
Bit of a long shot, but anyone been to Bariloche, Argentina?

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • #votekaka2018
« Reply #6429 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 10:24:19 pm »
Was a few years ago now but yes, stayed for a few days. Absolutely beautiful.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Amazing shoes
« Reply #6430 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 10:39:18 pm »

Any recommendations on where to stay, what to do? Have two days there.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • #votekaka2018
« Reply #6431 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 10:50:02 pm »

We just stayed in some hostel as it was when we travelling and it wasn’t great so I can’t help you there. Try and stay lakeside if you can though, the views are worth it. If they’re still there then...

• Go up the chair lift at Cerro Campanero. The view is as good as anything anywhere. 360 too.We got the bus there, can’t remember how far it was but wasn’t too far.
  • There’s a needless amount of chocolate places if you’re that way inclined. Rapa Nui rings a bell. Loads of Swiss style food places too.
  • Antares is/was good if you’re a beer man. There’s a few all over Arg

There’ll be skiing if you’re going in their winter too, no idea if it’s good or not though.

Where else you headed?

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Amazing shoes
« Reply #6432 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 11:01:09 pm »

We just stayed in some hostel as it was when we travelling and it wasn’t great so I can’t help you there. Try and stay lakeside if you can though, the views are worth it. If they’re still there then...

• Go up the chair lift at Cerro Campanero. The view is as good as anything anywhere. We got the bus there, can’t remember how far it was but wasn’t too bad.
  • There’s a needless amount of chocolate places if you’re that way inclined. Rapa Nui rings a bell. Loads of Swiss style food places too.
  • Antares is/was good if you’re a beer man.

There’ll be skiing if you’re going in their winter too, no idea if it’s good or not though.

Where else you headed?

Cheers Disco. Don't have a lot of time so not seeing as much of Patagonia as I'd like. I'm flying into Punta Arenas to see a King penguin colony and Magellanic penguin colony, and maybe a few places further south, then going up the towards Bariloche for the scenery. Looks like the Lake District :lol:

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Prontonise
« Reply #6433 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 11:10:57 pm »
Any tips from @Disco, @Slim and @Kid Icarus for Japan.  Tempted to go over Xmas after some news today.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • #votekaka2018
« Reply #6434 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 11:20:03 pm »

• Go up the chair lift at Cerro Campanero. The view is as good as anything anywhere. We got the bus there, can’t remember how far it was but wasn’t too bad.
  • Antares is/was good if you’re a beer man.

Where else you headed?

Cheers Disco. Don't have a lot of time so not seeing as much of Patagonia as I'd like. I'm flying into Punta Arenas to see a King penguin colony and Magellanic penguin colony, and maybe a few places further south, then going up the towards Bariloche for the scenery. Looks like the Lake District :lol:

If you’re not already and can do so, try to make time to go to Perito Moreno. Best natural thing I’ve ever seen. Simply amazing.

Aye, it’s like the Lake District after a trip to a Barcelona blood clinic. Enjoy!

Online Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #6435 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 11:25:37 pm »
@Beren gonna shoot you a PM when I get a minute

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • #votekaka2018
« Reply #6436 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 11:30:41 pm »
Any tips from @Disco, @Slim and @Kid Icarus for Japan.  Tempted to go over Xmas after some news today.

Search back through here but definitely fly in/out of different airports and buy a JR pass. Mystays are a good budget hotel brand too if you don’t want to hostel it. Couple of weeks covers most the mainland places and sights

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #6437 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 09:26:35 am »

Get a JR Pass for the trains and try and get out into the countryside too. Tokyo is great, but once you've done that the city centres everywhere are much of a muchness. I'd do Tokyo, Kyoto, Sapporo, and somewhere like Magome if I was going again. I'd also go for at least a couple of weeks to make it worthwhile.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #6438 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 11:26:34 am »
Hiroshima is definitely worth a visit if you are going that far - the museum about the atomic bomb is absolutely amazing (Not sure what the correct word is, given the context). Can also go over to the island of Miyajime if you want.

I thought Osaka was also worth a visit but some people don’t rate it.

Echo the suggestions about the JR Pass - definitely get one.

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #6439 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 11:31:04 am »
Bit of a long shot, but anyone been to Bariloche, Argentina?

Absolutely beautiful place. Well worth trying to get on a guided kayaking and hiking tour if you can.

Not sure where else you are planning on seeing but we did Buenos Aires, El Calafate (definitely do a walk on Perito Moreno), Mendoza, Barriloche, Iguazu and then finished in Rio.  Amazing country.

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #6440 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 04:02:31 pm »
Argentina is ace, just like most countries in South America :thup: Central America is sweet too, but the scenery and diversity isn't quite as extreme.

Online Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #6441 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 04:14:43 pm »
N'eesy, get on my facebook and check out my Nippon album. I've put locations on most of the photos so if anything takes your fancy, you could go there too.

Tokyo for a week, then JR Pass for a week or two along down to Hiroshima would be a pretty classic route. Kyoto is definitely worth a visit.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.