Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 525272 times)

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
Re: Cricket
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 30 July 2006, 03:35:43 am »
Cricket was God's gift to intelligent men. And Britain's to its colonies. The ones that took the game up certainly took it to heart and play like they own it, much like football, except as it has been mentioned before in this thread, it requires one to learn the game first before s/he starts to reap the riches that it sows.

Once you're hooked, it stays in your blood, and you miss the sound of leather-on-willow and lazy afternoons of beer-infused Third Umpire-bashing.

Also, everyone hates the Aussies and Pakis.

bluecool.gif

(PS: I'm Indian, hence I'm allowed to use the term "Pakis," while also perfectly displaying my outright hate for them on the cricket pitch. Otherwise they're cool though. Love Pakis, me. Except Afridi, that w***** of w*****s.)

Great result for the English and anyone-but-Pakistan fans, amazing stuff from our own Harmy as well. Keep up the good work, looks like the horrors of the sub-continental trip may be exorcised.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 30 July 2006, 03:59:00 am »
Cricket - :thup:

thenorthumbrian

« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 1 August 2006, 03:26:03 pm »
Is cricket a sport for train-spottersĀ  :)

ihatemackems

« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 2 August 2006, 11:58:54 am »
Cricket has no thrills for me, like darts

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 2 August 2006, 06:38:42 pm »
Cricket is banging. Went to see Murali destroy our team at Trent Bridge this year, had a great time. Sat amongst the Barmy Army, absolutely battered. Brilliant day out.
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Offline alpal78

• General Member
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 2 August 2006, 09:28:37 pm »
Brilliant game albeit can be a bit drawn out at times when the batsmen play safe. But when they start whacking and increase the chance of a wicket, ooh lovely stuff! My fav bowler is Shoaib Akhtar aka Rawalpindi express. Bloddy hell, can he bowl  blueyes.gif. Murali is canny too though I've always preferred speed to curve balls.

Offline tmonkey

• General Member
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 2 August 2006, 10:00:53 pm »
Dire sport to watch. Even worse to play - fielding in cricket is absolutely shockingly boring.

Only time I find cricket remotely interesting is when someone supremely talented, like Warne, comes on in top form and does something spectacular. Even then, im referring to watching highlights.

Morph

« Reply #57 on: Thursday 3 August 2006, 12:50:24 am »
omg omg omg

just found this thread, and i have to say, cricket > football.  Ive played both for as long as i can remember and honestly, at amateur level football is full of tossers who wants to kill each other, and cricket is full of mature people who just want to enjoy themselves by getting smashed of their faces.  Cricket involves 20 times the amount of skill.  Cricketers aren't money grabbing cheating b******s.

Offline looneytoon

• General Member
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 3 August 2006, 04:27:39 am »
Cricket was God's gift to intelligent men. And Britain's to its colonies. The ones that took the game up certainly took it to heart and play like they own it, much like football, except as it has been mentioned before in this thread, it requires one to learn the game first before s/he starts to reap the riches that it sows.

Once you're hooked, it stays in your blood, and you miss the sound of leather-on-willow and lazy afternoons of beer-infused Third Umpire-bashing.

Also, everyone hates the Aussies and Pakis.

bluecool.gif

(PS: I'm Indian, hence I'm allowed to use the term "Pakis," while also perfectly displaying my outright hate for them on the cricket pitch. Otherwise they're cool though. Love Pakis, me. Except Afridi, that w***** of w*****s.)

Great result for the English and anyone-but-Pakistan fans, amazing stuff from our own Harmy as well. Keep up the good work, looks like the horrors of the sub-continental trip may be exorcised.

Sachin is God. God is Sachin.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 3 August 2006, 09:30:58 am »
I love cricket, its the most skillful sport on the planet (opening up a debate i know, but it's my opinion)

I'd say golf is a lot harder.
?s=21

Andrew Flintoff

« Reply #60 on: Thursday 3 August 2006, 10:04:00 am »
Anyone who can't get excited about Grevious Bodily Harmison steaming in, Monty's turban or Hoggy's big wide gleaming smile after taking yet another scalp has no feeling in their body.

Cricket is the sport of Gods. Football leaves me feeling more and more hollow these days.

Geordiesned

« Reply #61 on: Saturday 5 August 2006, 10:45:00 pm »
What a f***ing day!

f***ing mortal now so will fill in full match/crowd report tomorrow!

Drinking in sports grounds...

...I've seen it!

It's the future!!!!

Bellers

« Reply #62 on: Saturday 5 August 2006, 10:47:50 pm »
Went to the one day match at Chester-le-street against Sri Lanka, what a cracking day out, I'd recommend it to anyone even if you don't like cricket!

Geordiesned

« Reply #63 on: Saturday 5 August 2006, 10:50:25 pm »
Went to the one day match at Chester-le-street against Sri Lanka, what a cracking day out, I'd recommend it to anyone even if you don't like cricket!

Exactly! I think I only watched about 2-3 hours today. The rest of the time was spent trying to wind up/p*ss off the stewads! :D

Offline Syrette

• TAFKA Role Model
  • General Member
  • Forward thinking
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 5 August 2006, 11:21:17 pm »
What a f***ing day!

f***ing mortal now so will fill in full match/crowd report tomorrow!

Drinking in sports grounds...

...I've seen it!

It's the future!!!!

:lol:

Makes even cricket sound good.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 5 August 2006, 11:32:54 pm »

Exactly! I think I only watched about 2-3 hours today. The rest of the time was spent trying to wind up/p*ss off the stewads! :D

Good day out had by all though?
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline The College Dropout

• General Member
  • The Look Of Satisfaction
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 6 August 2006, 05:13:01 pm »
Has my anti-cricket thread been hijacked into a lets talk crap about the worst "sport" invented?

Offline Elric

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 6 August 2006, 05:19:37 pm »
As a spectator's sport it is crap, I used to love playing it though. And, out of a stubborn sense of patriotism, I'll teach my son to play the f***er, too.

*awaits barrage of negative karma*

Oh, wait... ;)
Soon this will feel like a distant dream. Until then, may you rest in a deep and dreamless slumber

Morph

« Reply #68 on: Sunday 6 August 2006, 06:03:26 pm »

BooBoo

« Reply #69 on: Sunday 6 August 2006, 06:33:05 pm »
My cricketing knowledge is very basic but i must admit i take more notice now since The Ashes which was fantastically entertaining.

Echo

« Reply #70 on: Monday 7 August 2006, 06:29:23 pm »
Sunbathing with TMS on the radio - one of my favourite summer pastimes!

Knightrider

« Reply #71 on: Monday 7 August 2006, 06:31:16 pm »
Cricket like many others sports is probably something I'd only really enjoy if I was there, otherwise I just don't see the point in these alternative 'games' ;)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: Monday 7 August 2006, 06:39:27 pm »

Offline Greg

• General Member
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 26 April 2008, 09:40:09 am »
Weather looking ok this morning so hopefully my match will not be rained off today like last week.

Offline Haz

• formerly known as Haswell
  • General Member
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 26 April 2008, 09:49:18 am »
God why do we keep going round in circles with these threads about Cricket? Its the same thing over and over and we can never get a decision.

Also, I think cricket lovers will be very insulted by this thought.  Who are you to suggest Cricket is crap? Can't you just live and let live?  People get insulted by having their games challenged like this. Let it lie.

Who is to say cricket is right or wrong? What about Baseball lovers and their fanaticism?  Don't they deserve respect?
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley