Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 595992 times)

Offline Mikky

• General Member
Re: Cricket
« Reply #22700 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 10:35:38 AM »
Warner back to his best.  Triple ton.

Flat track bully if you ask me (a brilliant one at that tbf)

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #22701 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 10:39:15 AM »
Warner back to his best.  Triple ton.

Flat track bully if you ask me (a brilliant one at that tbf)

Yeap.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #22702 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 10:48:47 AM »
There’s merit to that argument, but I’m of the opinion that he just didn’t have the right mentality to come back after his ban - especially against the Auld Enemy.

But yeah, 335 not out (off 418 balls) would be a lot more impressive if it wasn’t against Pakistan at home.
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler.

"I have heard lots of nonsense about tactics but the big thing is about showing pride and having a go." 29/09/19

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #22703 on: Saturday 30 November 2019, 10:57:16 AM »
There’s merit to that argument, but I’m of the opinion that he just didn’t have the right mentality to come back after his ban - especially against the Auld Enemy.

But yeah, 335 not out (off 418 balls) would be a lot more impressive if it wasn’t against Pakistan at home.

Wouldn’t say it was exactly due to his ban - literally every opener in Eng has struggled against the duke in the last 4-5 years - it’s a very difficult task upfront

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #22704 on: Sunday 1 December 2019, 05:50:34 PM »
I'm glad we finally have a reliable opener in Burns, other then Cook it feel ages since we had someone who could do a decent job there.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #22705 on: Sunday 1 December 2019, 05:53:05 PM »
I'm glad we finally have a reliable opener in Burns, other then Cook it feel ages since we had someone who could do a decent job there.

It's been ridiculous.  Shows how f***ed county cricket is imo.

Offline Pandamninator

• General Member
« Reply #22706 on: Sunday 1 December 2019, 11:18:49 PM »
Root is aware of the concept of rain right? I'm sure he's real happy to get some runs finally and boost his average over the past 2 years ahead of Tim Southee, but England need a win and it's going to be pissing down with rain all day tomorrow.
"But Italian football can defy the laws of physics; only here does a small pull backwards on the shirt send a grown man tumbling forwards"

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #22707 on: Sunday 1 December 2019, 11:29:23 PM »
Root is aware of the concept of rain right? I'm sure he's real happy to get some runs finally and boost his average over the past 2 years ahead of Tim Southee, but England need a win and it's going to be pissing down with rain all day tomorrow.

Captaincy over personal records.  :yao:

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #22708 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 08:43:20 AM »
Given how key Root is to this team, I'm probably beneficial to get his confidence back up.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #22709 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 09:22:14 AM »
Australia defeats Pakistan by an innings and 48 runs.

Much of the time, Pakistan did not play like a Test nation. Their bowling attack is toothless and their top order crumbled too readily. No hint of an Imran or Javed or Qadir - or even an Inzamam or Shoaib Akhtar. Sad to see...
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler.

"I have heard lots of nonsense about tactics but the big thing is about showing pride and having a go." 29/09/19

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #22710 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 12:10:36 PM »

Much of the time, Pakistan did not play like a Test nation. Their bowling attack is toothless and their top order crumbled too readily. No hint of an Imran or Javed or Qadir - or even an Inzamam or Shoaib Akhtar. Sad to see...

Pak always seem to have a shocker in Aus - I make it 25 years plus whereby they've gone home battered and bruised -  I would have thought the flat pitches would have aided them, clearly not.

Bowling  - historically one of Pakistan's great strengths - they went in with an incredibly young line-up that got taken to the cleaners by Warner and Lubaschagne - not having Amir, Hasan Ali and Wahab has left them with a big hole, Abbas just doesn't have the pace - the others are just kids. Yasir Shah never turns up in Aus - they don't really have another spinner

Batting - Babar Azam……. that's it - the rest are hopeless - real historical issue for Pak - I cannot recall an occasion where they had at least 3 quality batsmen all playing in the same team (possibly Saeed Anwar, Mohammed Yousuf and Inzamam) - it just isn't in the Pakistani psyche to be a batsman - with tape ball cricket, everyone wants to bowl

The domestic structure is wrong -they are making steps to improve it - too many poor sides, dilutes the quality of matches. Added to this, they literally have no money to make improvements to facilities etc  sad to see, especially when the neighbours India are on such a upward trend and have really kicked on ever since the inception of the IPL you could say.

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #22711 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 04:18:09 PM »

Pak always seem to have a shocker in Aus - I make it 25 years plus whereby they've gone home battered and bruised -  I would have thought the flat pitches would have aided them, clearly not.

Bowling  - historically one of Pakistan's great strengths - they went in with an incredibly young line-up that got taken to the cleaners by Warner and Lubaschagne - not having Amir, Hasan Ali and Wahab has left them with a big hole, Abbas just doesn't have the pace - the others are just kids. Yasir Shah never turns up in Aus - they don't really have another spinner

Batting - Babar Azam……. that's it - the rest are hopeless - real historical issue for Pak - I cannot recall an occasion where they had at least 3 quality batsmen all playing in the same team (possibly Saeed Anwar, Mohammed Yousuf and Inzamam) - it just isn't in the Pakistani psyche to be a batsman - with tape ball cricket, everyone wants to bowl

The domestic structure is wrong -they are making steps to improve it - too many poor sides, dilutes the quality of matches. Added to this, they literally have no money to make improvements to facilities etc  sad to see, especially when the neighbours India are on such a upward trend and have really kicked on ever since the inception of the IPL you could say.

Fair assessment. I hope the relations between the two countries improve so we can see Pak players back in the IPL. But their domestic scene needs to improve drastically. The attack on the Sri Lankan team set cricket back years, I think, as visiting teams did not trust the security.

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #22712 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 04:40:43 PM »

Fair assessment. I hope the relations between the two countries improve so we can see Pak players back in the IPL. But their domestic scene needs to improve drastically. The attack on the Sri Lankan team set cricket back years, I think, as visiting teams did not trust the security.

Thing is, India no longer need Pak whilst they continue to thrive, the thirst for the ‘derby’ on India’s side I would say has diminished to just unavoidable tournament matches and it’s Pak who have felt the pinch in their pockets

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #22713 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 10:41:57 PM »
?s=19

Think that's the worst drop I've seen.

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #22714 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 10:53:10 PM »
 :lol:

We’ve all been there  :lol:

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #22715 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:00:27 PM »
Bob Willis has died :(

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #22716 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:02:58 PM »
Bob Willis has died :(

Oh no - went for an op didn’t he?

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #22717 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:05:13 PM »
f***ing hell.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #22718 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:07:01 PM »
Ahhh man :(

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #22719 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:07:41 PM »
:( one of my favourite sports commentators.  No one will ever forget headingly 81.  Rip.

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #22720 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:15:43 PM »
Never saw him play but he was always on the telly when I started watching Sky cricket and loved his dour observations. Really shocked and gutted

Offline Magpie

• General Member
« Reply #22721 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:19:55 PM »
Loved his commentary and then when he started to go on the debate. Proper cutting when he wanted to be and was at times hilarious.

RIP

Offline Paully

• General Member
« Reply #22722 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:38:05 PM »
Gutted - he was magnificent on the Verdict  :'(

Online samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #22723 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:41:55 PM »
What a man! A cricketing legend, and I really enjoyed him on The Debate.

Gutted  :'(

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #22724 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:47:14 PM »
“Well Charles.......” popcorn at the ready when he said that  :lol: