Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 544701 times)

Offline Disco

• General Member
Re: Cricket
« Reply #20000 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 04:56:22 pm »
Haven't read up but I'm guessing it's because they needlessly changed the format?

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #20001 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 06:10:34 pm »
Haven't read up but I'm guessing it's because they needlessly changed the format?

That, and they hadn't thought of a backup plan for rained out games. We've had a record number so far compared to any other World Cup, so seeing that there are sometimes 5-day gaps between matches for teams, they could've kept reserve days to play out the rained out matches.

The table looks hilarious now with many teams sharing 1 point each due to rain, and it's unfair on the fans as well, who bought tickets.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #20002 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 07:53:54 pm »

That, and they hadn't thought of a backup plan for rained out games. We've had a record number so far compared to any other World Cup, so seeing that there are sometimes 5-day gaps between matches for teams, they could've kept reserve days to play out the rained out matches.

The table looks hilarious now with many teams sharing 1 point each due to rain, and it's unfair on the fans as well, who bought tickets.

No one would turn up on reserve days apart from on a weekend.

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #20003 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 07:58:41 pm »

No one would turn up on reserve days apart from on a weekend.

But they'll stream it on their phones at work ;)

Offline samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #20004 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:41:49 am »
Got a ticket sorted for 2nd day of Ashes at Edgbaston - off with 3 of my pals.

Night out in Birmingham on the Thursday, and hopefully smash the Aussies next day.

Offline jack j

• General Member
  • Spectator
« Reply #20005 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 11:23:25 am »
Ramiz Raja and Michael Clarke. It doesnt come much worse in the commentary box....in any sport.. what a pair of knackers

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #20006 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 12:01:02 pm »
Obviously biased because he was my cricketing hero growing up, but some really interesting interviews with Robin Smith ahead of the launch of his new book.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #20007 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 12:22:19 pm »
Ramiz Raja and Michael Clarke. It doesnt come much worse in the commentary box....in any sport.. what a pair of knackers

Clarke's voice is absolutely horrific and he comes across as a c***. Which he is.

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #20008 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 02:03:12 pm »

Clarke's voice is absolutely horrific and he comes across as a c***. Which he is.

“Pup” grinds my gears as well. Sanjay Manjrekar can also be boring as captain obvious, does his best to make even the most exciting T20 game seem like the fifth day of a bore draw in a test.

I watch the indian stream so I get Brian Lara and Dean Jones in the studio, who are both enjoyable. People have forgiven Dean after his commentating snafu decade ago :lol:

Offline jack j

• General Member
  • Spectator
« Reply #20009 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 04:51:44 pm »
Ian Wards arselicking is on another level as well mind. Sickening. Dont mind Wasim and Waqar. Slater on the lower end of the scale as well for me.
Hussain and Atherton the 2 best on sky. Bumble decent as well but not doing world cup.
Ponting is good but he is coaching

Pietersen is an arsehole as well. Great player c*** of a man

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #20010 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 05:58:25 pm »
Yeah I can't stand KP as a commentator. Loves name dropping players he's mates with or plays golf with

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #20011 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 07:24:21 pm »
Ian Wards arselicking is on another level as well mind. Sickening. Dont mind Wasim and Waqar. Slater on the lower end of the scale as well for me.
Hussain and Atherton the 2 best on sky. Bumble decent as well but not doing world cup.
Ponting is good but he is coaching

Pietersen is an arsehole as well. Great player c*** of a man

Used to love listening to Slater when Channel 4 had him - really good non biased commentator - Atherton and Hussain are class too - also like Mark Taylor on the mike, just a normal bloke who loves his cricket

Like all the TMS guys (plus Neil Manthorpe)

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #20012 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 10:27:46 am »
I've enjoyed Jeremy Coney on TMS. I like Dagnall's commentary but his voice grates a little for me. But all in all, TMS have the best team.

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• General Member
  • Absolute C***
« Reply #20013 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 01:50:55 pm »
Coney was the guest speaker at the NEPL end of season awards a few years ago. Decent speaker.

Offline jack j

• General Member
  • Spectator
« Reply #20014 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 07:54:31 pm »
Cant stand Michael Vaughan tbh but enjoy TMS. Alastair Cook and Swann were on earlier when it was raining
Enjoyable listen

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #20015 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 07:59:33 pm »
Swann's a f***ing media whore, can't stand him.

Offline jack j

• General Member
  • Spectator
« Reply #20016 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 08:23:10 pm »
Hes alright when he actually talks cricket.

Must win game for England tomorrow imo the way the weathers going..and the other results so far

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #20017 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 08:53:41 pm »
England fans, if you could only win one this summer would you rather win the Ashes or the World Cup?

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #20018 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 08:55:43 pm »
World Cup.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #20019 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 09:21:17 pm »
World Cup as well. Having said that, the thought of Australia winning the Ashes here makes me feel sick. But there you go - one is one I desperately want us to win and the other is one I desperately don't want us to lose. So a CWC win would ultimately be the better outcome. We may not get this opportunity again for a while. Whereas with the Ashes, there's always a chance (when it's played here I mean)

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #20020 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 09:32:16 pm »
We'll win both imo.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #20021 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 09:37:13 pm »
I'm pretty nervous about tomorrow tbh

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #20022 on: Friday 14 June 2019, 03:41:47 am »
World Cup as well. Having said that, the thought of Australia winning the Ashes here makes me feel sick. But there you go - one is one I desperately want us to win and the other is one I desperately don't want us to lose. So a CWC win would ultimately be the better outcome. We may not get this opportunity again for a while. Whereas with the Ashes, there's always a chance (when it's played here I mean)

Consider my mind blown. For me, a one-off Test against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe is infinitely more important than ODI or T20 World Cup. Ashes is the pinnacle of World Cricket, for me.
Looking after Charles Freck's artifacts

Offline Pandamninator

• General Member
« Reply #20023 on: Friday 14 June 2019, 03:49:28 am »
Mitchell starc has hit 98mph before apparently.
All  the old school say the likes of Thompson and lilley and the windies lot were quicker. Not old enough to see them play

Pretty sure that Starc figure was inflated due to a faulty machine.

That was the test against us (NZ) at the WACA, the same day Tim Southee and Boult were both recorded hitting 150 kph.
"But Italian football can defy the laws of physics; only here does a small pull backwards on the shirt send a grown man tumbling forwards"

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #20024 on: Friday 14 June 2019, 10:36:35 am »
Ashes >>>> although it's pretty poor that England have never won the CWC.