Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 588356 times)

Offline Incognito

• General Member
  • Get your hands off me you freak
Re: Cricket
« Reply #19775 on: Wednesday 27 March 2019, 06:02:51 PM »
Australian off-spinner Bruce Yeardley has passed aged 71.

You might be old enough to remember Australia's pace attack including the likes of Lillee, Thompson, Pascoe, Rackemann, Alderman etc. But I remember the spin bowler they too rarely chucked the ball to, more than a decade before Shane Warne made spin bowling cool.

A video included in a newspaper memorial included the day he took 7 against possibly the greatest team ever. Check out the "best outfield catch ever" to get his fifth wicket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=262&v=s43ugkf20gM

I remember Bruce Yardley specifically from the 82-83 Ashes series, with his Tom Selleck moustache. Came after Ray Bright, who I thought was quite a good spinner and before Greg Matthews, who was ther archetypal Aussie cricketer ie stacks of heart. The Aussies spent years trying to find a spinner as I recall using many . The Hollands, Sleeps and O'Keefes of their time all nigh on forgotten unforunately along with Yardley because of the majesty of Shane Warne.

RIP, I remember him , like Matthews, as a gutsy cricketer, seem to recall him spending time at the crease with bat defying Willis, Botham et al.
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
« Reply #19776 on: Wednesday 27 March 2019, 06:43:52 PM »
For those with Sky and are missing the IPL. Every game is on Star Gold on 729 live

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #19777 on: Thursday 28 March 2019, 02:19:49 PM »
For those with Sky and are missing the IPL. Every game is on Star Gold on 729 live

I just realized I get it on my Russian IPTV box, so gonna start watching. Watching the build-up to today's game feels like a blast from the past, so many former players are involved in the IPL in some capacity: coaching, TV presenters, etc. Watching KP and Hayden's banter has been cool.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
« Reply #19778 on: Thursday 28 March 2019, 03:36:02 PM »

I just realized I get it on my Russian IPTV box, so gonna start watching. Watching the build-up to today's game feels like a blast from the past, so many former players are involved in the IPL in some capacity: coaching, TV presenters, etc. Watching KP and Hayden's banter has been cool.

Aye it's way better than Nick Knight and Rob Key drawling on. An added bonus is I've managed so far to avoid Danny Morrison, who aimlessly tries to make every sentence he speaks dramatic by adopting an odd tone for the final syllable of it. Does my f***ing head in 😂😂😂😂

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #19779 on: Friday 29 March 2019, 01:57:52 PM »
Who works the hardest in practice?

VVS Laxman: Kane Williamson.

Who tries to avoid practice the most?

VVS: David Warner. :lol:

Should be a good game today, lots of big hitters, with Buttler scoring 50s in his last 7 games or something? He just needs to stay in his crease :cool:

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #19780 on: Friday 29 March 2019, 11:23:52 PM »
There’s a very real possibility Warner won’t go straight into the World Cup with the ODI captain and the Pakistani doing a good job at the top lately.

Here’s hoping anyway as it would be cruelly unjust to drop Khawaja for someone no one except Justin Langer seems to want.
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler.

"I have heard lots of nonsense about tactics but the big thing is about showing pride and having a go." 29/09/19

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #19781 on: Sunday 31 March 2019, 01:31:48 PM »
There’s a very real possibility Warner won’t go straight into the World Cup with the ODI captain and the Pakistani doing a good job at the top lately.

Here’s hoping anyway as it would be cruelly unjust to drop Khawaja for someone no one except Justin Langer seems to want.

100 for Warner (and Bairstow) today - there’s no chance you leave Warner out on this form - worst case you bat Khawaja at 3, Smith 4

Offline Magpie

• General Member
« Reply #19782 on: Monday 1 April 2019, 10:26:25 PM »
Sam Curran with a hat trick to win the game for KXI Punjab today

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #19783 on: Monday 1 April 2019, 10:43:26 PM »
Sam Curran with a hat trick to win the game for KXI Punjab today

A nice little 20 off 10 opening the batting too
Think he should be batting higher for Surrey at least - even opening with Roy

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #19784 on: Tuesday 2 April 2019, 03:15:15 PM »
DA Warner, SRH, Left-hand bat

254 | Innings 3 | Average 127.00

This dude's in good knick for the World Cup. Andre Russel & Imran Tahir also playing well (no idea if the latter is in the SA squad).

And what a game that was yesterday, this IPL has been hugely entertaining, even with my skepticism.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
« Reply #19785 on: Wednesday 3 April 2019, 02:56:20 AM »
T20 has always been his game. The first time he represented Australia was in the first T20 international against NZ and absolutely dominated - I don’t think he was even in the NSW (state) Sheffield Shield (red ball) team at the time.

"I have heard lots of nonsense about tactics but the big thing is about showing pride and having a go." 29/09/19

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #19786 on: Friday 5 April 2019, 02:31:08 PM »
Rushworth got 2 wickets in first 3 balls of the season.

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #19787 on: Friday 12 April 2019, 05:10:28 PM »
100 not out for Haseeb Hameed today (got 200 in a warm last week too)

Fingers crossed he’s back to his old self again

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #19788 on: Saturday 13 April 2019, 02:29:51 PM »
Butler is ridiculous, so calm just smacking it to all parts

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #19789 on: Tuesday 16 April 2019, 04:36:25 PM »
See those players who's place is under threat saying it would be morally incorrect to pick archer.  Load of bollocks.

He should be picked on form in the IPL.

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #19790 on: Tuesday 16 April 2019, 04:43:58 PM »
Yeah - I like Woakes, but he should pipe down.  There's no way Archer doesn't improve that squad.

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #19791 on: Tuesday 16 April 2019, 05:17:25 PM »
There's no way Archer doesn't get into the squad imo - he's the exact bowler Eng have craved for years

I do get the response from the bowling unit within the ODI squad - no one really deserves to lose their place, given how good Eng have been the last 3 years, but Archer really is a special case - much like Pietersen was in 2005

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #19792 on: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 11:04:34 AM »
In squad for Pakistan series but not world cup but changes can be made to it.  So essentially he's in if he impresses vs Pakistan.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #19793 on: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 04:06:02 PM »
Bancroft scored 151* for Durham today. Decent.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
« Reply #19794 on: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 04:18:52 PM »
Does his form warrant a spot in the Ashes squad? I don't think he'll get picked whatever his form (fall guy for the sandpaper scandal), but I'm just curious what Durham fans thought of him?

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #19795 on: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 04:45:16 PM »
He was an idiot for doing it, but he served his punishment so let the lad get on with it.

Offline Greg

• General Member
« Reply #19796 on: Friday 19 April 2019, 05:37:53 PM »
Does his form warrant a spot in the Ashes squad? I don't think he'll get picked whatever his form (fall guy for the sandpaper scandal), but I'm just curious what Durham fans thought of him?

Only played one first class game, out in 30s and 20s but he's pissing it in the one day stuff - only his second game but back to back hundreds.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #19797 on: Friday 19 April 2019, 06:50:52 PM »
Bancroft was superb today, just oozes class at the crease

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• General Member
  • Absolute C***
« Reply #19798 on: Friday 19 April 2019, 09:07:02 PM »
He's turning out to be a fantastic signing.

We've got Carse playing for us tomorrow in the NEPL, doubt he'll be allowed to bowl though :(

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #19799 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 06:57:44 PM »
?s=20
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too