Author Topic: Cricket - England win Cricket World Cup  (Read 555298 times)

Offline Mikky

• General Member
Re: Cricket
« Reply #19775 on: Thursday 21 March 2019, 02:06:29 pm »
Will Jacks just hit a century off 25 balls in a pre season T10 game. Got an over of 6 sixes in there too

Pretty sure boundaries in T10 are shorter?

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #19776 on: Thursday 21 March 2019, 03:49:04 pm »
I was at that game supporting the Warwickshire lads. Absolutely ridiculous tension. Wonder what Lance Klusener would fetch at the IPL auction?

Why Klusener and Donald chose to run was (and still is) beyond me - Klusener for about a few years was awesome until he completely lost his game, was the first real 'big hitting' finisher I can remember - Fairbrother and Bevan were finishers but didn't have the same power

I go back to David Hughes of Lancs winning a one day game in virtual darkness smashing Mike Proctor everywhere in the early 70s.  And then came Lance Cairns, dad of Chris, who'd occasionally do it.
Bevan is probably the most underrated ODI cricketer of that generation . Never seemed to fail.

Absolute beast. The Kiwi lower order in those days - imagine getting through the batsmen and seeing Lance Cairns with his railway sleeper and Sir Richard f***ing Hadlee smashing it everywhere
Looking after Charles Freck's artifacts

Offline Incognito

• General Member
  • Get your hands off me you freak
« Reply #19777 on: Thursday 21 March 2019, 04:58:07 pm »
I was at that game supporting the Warwickshire lads. Absolutely ridiculous tension. Wonder what Lance Klusener would fetch at the IPL auction?

Why Klusener and Donald chose to run was (and still is) beyond me - Klusener for about a few years was awesome until he completely lost his game, was the first real 'big hitting' finisher I can remember - Fairbrother and Bevan were finishers but didn't have the same power

I go back to David Hughes of Lancs winning a one day game in virtual darkness smashing Mike Proctor everywhere in the early 70s.  And then came Lance Cairns, dad of Chris, who'd occasionally do it.
Bevan is probably the most underrated ODI cricketer of that generation . Never seemed to fail.

Absolute beast. The Kiwi lower order in those days - imagine getting through the batsmen and seeing Lance Cairns with his railway sleeper and Sir Richard f***ing Hadlee smashing it everywhere

O0. I remember one B+H triangular series, might have been 82-83 , when the NZ side came good. Might have been the first time that an official MCC/England side wore coloured clothing. Fairly sure Lance gave us a good thraping with the willow at least once.
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #19778 on: Thursday 21 March 2019, 05:47:51 pm »
Bancroft new Durham captain

Offline Magpie

• General Member
« Reply #19779 on: Thursday 21 March 2019, 07:09:25 pm »
Managed to get some tickets for the Eng NZ WC game at the Riverside today :thup:

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #19780 on: Tuesday 26 March 2019, 08:13:33 am »
Thoughts on the Buttler run out yesterday?

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
« Reply #19781 on: Tuesday 26 March 2019, 08:26:05 am »
Mankad without a prior warning is not cool. It’s not particularly cool with a warning, but most uncool without one.

Offline John P

• General Member
« Reply #19782 on: Tuesday 26 March 2019, 09:38:01 am »
Shithousery of the highest order from Ashwin. When he landed his front foot Buttler was in his crease, he then stopped and waited for Buttler to leave the crease before doing him. Mankad is meant to be used to stop batsmen from taking the p*ss when backing up, not as a cheap way of getting someone out who is potentially playing a matchwinning innings.

Read some people defend Ashwin saying "this is IPL, this stuff happens and it's in the rules." f*** off man, if that happened in my Saturday league there'd be hell on and rightly so. He also by the letter of the law should have been given not out by the umpire, as the rule states it can only be done if the batsman is out of his crease when the bowler is in his delivery stride and at the point of release, and Buttler wasn't. Ashwin should be fined and banned for a couple of games. If not it's a dangerous precedent to set before the high stakes of a World Cup. Imagine going to a World Cup game, seeing a batsman in his prime playing a great innings and some c*** does that to get him out and change the course of the game.

Online Dr.Spaceman

• General Member
  • Absolute C***
« Reply #19783 on: Tuesday 26 March 2019, 11:59:07 am »
Wouldn't happen in the NEPL, Durham League or Hetton Lyon's Sunday league in the same way it happened to Buttler. It was absolutely outrageous and should not be encouraged.

100% agree with warning the batsman first but tbh I think I'd dish out several warnings before doing it. It's a c***s trick. Had a school teacher do it to someone on my team in the indoor league at South North a few years back. He had the most smug look on his face, but I understood why he did it as he wasn't someone who played the game regularly to understand the difference between doing something within the rules and doing something within the spirit of the game. Ashwin knew full well what he was doing and that he'd have to take pelters for it.

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #19784 on: Tuesday 26 March 2019, 12:08:08 pm »
Just saw this now, and yeah, dodgy from Ashwin, lol. I do love it though as this is going to crank up the drama going into the World Cup between these two players.

He’s being panned from many Indian fans as well, so I don’t think this should be happening again (hopefully not). But reading up, turns out both Ashwin and Buttler have been involved in prior mankadings. Doing it without a warning, and using the subjectivity of the law that states it’s only allowed during the stride of the delivery (he stopped and went back, so that’s stretching it), makes it outside of the spirit of the game.

Offline Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
« Reply #19785 on: Tuesday 26 March 2019, 12:13:12 pm »
I did it once to some fat lad playing village cricket. He really was taking the p*ss and I asked the umpire to warn him. Umpire didn't and so I Mankad him. Got a bollocking from everyone there and he was allowed to bat on. This seemed like bullshit because the guy was backing up half the wicket on my three yard run up. Bowled him not long after.

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #19786 on: Tuesday 26 March 2019, 12:27:14 pm »
What is happening on social media, what kind of person do you have to be to go on a toddlers Instagram and berate her dad 😂

?s=21

The IPL is nuts. As an India fan, even for me it’s entertainment turned upto 11, I don’t even “support” any of the teams, but generally follow or watch it like a spectacle or reality TV drama. I guess the cricketing equivalent of a one night stand.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
« Reply #19787 on: Wednesday 27 March 2019, 11:36:40 am »
Australian off-spinner Bruce Yeardley has passed aged 71.

You might be old enough to remember Australia's pace attack including the likes of Lillee, Thompson, Pascoe, Rackemann, Alderman etc. But I remember the spin bowler they too rarely chucked the ball to, more than a decade before Shane Warne made spin bowling cool.

A video included in a newspaper memorial included the day he took 7 against possibly the greatest team ever. Check out the "best outfield catch ever" to get his fifth wicket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=262&v=s43ugkf20gM

Offline Incognito

• General Member
« Reply #19788 on: Wednesday 27 March 2019, 06:02:51 pm »
Australian off-spinner Bruce Yeardley has passed aged 71.

You might be old enough to remember Australia's pace attack including the likes of Lillee, Thompson, Pascoe, Rackemann, Alderman etc. But I remember the spin bowler they too rarely chucked the ball to, more than a decade before Shane Warne made spin bowling cool.

A video included in a newspaper memorial included the day he took 7 against possibly the greatest team ever. Check out the "best outfield catch ever" to get his fifth wicket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=262&v=s43ugkf20gM

I remember Bruce Yardley specifically from the 82-83 Ashes series, with his Tom Selleck moustache. Came after Ray Bright, who I thought was quite a good spinner and before Greg Matthews, who was ther archetypal Aussie cricketer ie stacks of heart. The Aussies spent years trying to find a spinner as I recall using many . The Hollands, Sleeps and O'Keefes of their time all nigh on forgotten unforunately along with Yardley because of the majesty of Shane Warne.

RIP, I remember him , like Matthews, as a gutsy cricketer, seem to recall him spending time at the crease with bat defying Willis, Botham et al.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
« Reply #19789 on: Wednesday 27 March 2019, 06:43:52 pm »
For those with Sky and are missing the IPL. Every game is on Star Gold on 729 live

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #19790 on: Thursday 28 March 2019, 02:19:49 pm »
For those with Sky and are missing the IPL. Every game is on Star Gold on 729 live

I just realized I get it on my Russian IPTV box, so gonna start watching. Watching the build-up to today's game feels like a blast from the past, so many former players are involved in the IPL in some capacity: coaching, TV presenters, etc. Watching KP and Hayden's banter has been cool.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
« Reply #19791 on: Thursday 28 March 2019, 03:36:02 pm »

I just realized I get it on my Russian IPTV box, so gonna start watching. Watching the build-up to today's game feels like a blast from the past, so many former players are involved in the IPL in some capacity: coaching, TV presenters, etc. Watching KP and Hayden's banter has been cool.

Aye it's way better than Nick Knight and Rob Key drawling on. An added bonus is I've managed so far to avoid Danny Morrison, who aimlessly tries to make every sentence he speaks dramatic by adopting an odd tone for the final syllable of it. Does my f***ing head in 😂😂😂😂

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #19792 on: Friday 29 March 2019, 01:57:52 pm »
Who works the hardest in practice?

VVS Laxman: Kane Williamson.

Who tries to avoid practice the most?

VVS: David Warner. :lol:

Should be a good game today, lots of big hitters, with Buttler scoring 50s in his last 7 games or something? He just needs to stay in his crease :cool:

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
« Reply #19793 on: Friday 29 March 2019, 11:23:52 pm »
There’s a very real possibility Warner won’t go straight into the World Cup with the ODI captain and the Pakistani doing a good job at the top lately.

Here’s hoping anyway as it would be cruelly unjust to drop Khawaja for someone no one except Justin Langer seems to want.

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #19794 on: Sunday 31 March 2019, 01:31:48 pm »
There’s a very real possibility Warner won’t go straight into the World Cup with the ODI captain and the Pakistani doing a good job at the top lately.

Here’s hoping anyway as it would be cruelly unjust to drop Khawaja for someone no one except Justin Langer seems to want.

100 for Warner (and Bairstow) today - there’s no chance you leave Warner out on this form - worst case you bat Khawaja at 3, Smith 4

Offline Magpie

• General Member
« Reply #19795 on: Monday 1 April 2019, 10:26:25 pm »
Sam Curran with a hat trick to win the game for KXI Punjab today

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #19796 on: Monday 1 April 2019, 10:43:26 pm »
Sam Curran with a hat trick to win the game for KXI Punjab today

A nice little 20 off 10 opening the batting too
Think he should be batting higher for Surrey at least - even opening with Roy

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #19797 on: Tuesday 2 April 2019, 03:15:15 pm »
DA Warner, SRH, Left-hand bat

254 | Innings 3 | Average 127.00

This dude's in good knick for the World Cup. Andre Russel & Imran Tahir also playing well (no idea if the latter is in the SA squad).

And what a game that was yesterday, this IPL has been hugely entertaining, even with my skepticism.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
« Reply #19798 on: Wednesday 3 April 2019, 02:56:20 am »
T20 has always been his game. The first time he represented Australia was in the first T20 international against NZ and absolutely dominated - I don’t think he was even in the NSW (state) Sheffield Shield (red ball) team at the time.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #19799 on: Friday 5 April 2019, 02:31:08 pm »
Rushworth got 2 wickets in first 3 balls of the season.