Author Topic: Books! The "What are you reading?" thread  (Read 283132 times)

Offline brummie

• General Member
Re: Books! The "What are you reading?" thread
« Reply #5375 on: Thursday 31 December 2020, 05:54:27 PM »
The section where Stoner is dying, the way Williams conveys the feelings and physical sensations of someone who is slowly and hazily slipping out of life and into death. Probably the most powerful literature I’ve experienced.

Took me into some deep introspection and emotions that no other book has ever managed to do.

Stoner is a beautiful book. It made me choke up several times, and I had no real idea why.
Well focus on the quasar in the mist, the Kaiser has a cyst

Offline Django

• General Member
« Reply #5376 on: Thursday 31 December 2020, 06:18:39 PM »
I've just finished the Argonautika or Jason & the Argonauts by Apollonius of Rhodes translated by Peter Green.

A good stepping stone between Homer and Virgil' Epics but nowhere near either in quality.

Likewise I have a big reading list to get through, I've read something like 50 books this year, my best year for a while. Roll on the next lockdown ;)

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #5377 on: Thursday 31 December 2020, 06:34:32 PM »
Anyone read Niel Gaiman's 'Norse Mythology'?

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #5378 on: Thursday 31 December 2020, 06:44:19 PM »
Just re-read Hannah Arendt's Origins of Totalitarianism.

Funny about going back to it now after 24 years. I know it was the times, but jesus was she racist. Her analysis of Africa was so god damned lazy and ill-informed, even for 1950.

It's still a very valuable social psychological analysis of what led to the totalitarianism in Europe, particularly with her discussion of the Dreyfus Affair. But FFS.
To crush your enemies while wearing a loincloth and bandolier, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
« Reply #5379 on: Friday 1 January 2021, 02:49:49 PM »
Some of the stuff Ibram Kendi quotes in How To Be An Antiracist is mind boggling. I honestly didn’t understand the level of design that went into the concept of ‘race’ and the supposed characteristics of different groups. Crazy stuff.

Offline Django

• General Member
« Reply #5380 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 11:26:00 AM »
Just finished another read through of the Iliad, this time translated by Richmond Lattimore.

It's such an amazing read, loved this translation. It may be the best I've read although I always think that with every version I read.

It's the kind of book that you could read 100 times and you would still find new stuff in there, or a new way of interpreting passages.
« Last Edit: Thursday 14 January 2021, 11:35:38 PM by Django »

Offline Vieu

• General Member
« Reply #5381 on: Friday 15 January 2021, 02:35:47 PM »
Listening to The Hobbit. Could not listen to the version with Inglis, so listen to Serkis. Does anyone know if they are planning LotR with him, or was this a one-time event?

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #5382 on: Yesterday at 06:30:56 PM »
This Lovecraft fella was an odd one. Barely through this book collection, and still not sure what to think. Some of the stuff is great, some of the stuff is just... boring.

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #5383 on: Yesterday at 06:36:01 PM »
This Lovecraft fella was an odd one. Barely through this book collection, and still not sure what to think. Some of the stuff is great, some of the stuff is just... boring.

Yeah, his writing tended to be flat. But some good stories in there...although he was racist as f***, and the hybrids of his stories likely reflected his disgust with miscegenation.
To crush your enemies while wearing a loincloth and bandolier, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #5384 on: Yesterday at 09:12:49 PM »
Yeah, it's very much 100 year old text and ideas, especially in the earlier stories I've read so far. I haven't seen too much racism appear, other than his description of the one Mexican that's appeared so far.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
« Reply #5385 on: Yesterday at 10:34:05 PM »
American Gods, much better than the TV version so far.

Offline Wilson

• General Member
  • The Mike, the.
« Reply #5386 on: Today at 11:11:10 AM »
Moving on to my next module with the open uni, usually get some text books dropped off, this time the only module material they have sent me is Asimov's I, Robot. Going to make a start on it tonight.

Offline Lazarus

• General Member
« Reply #5387 on: Today at 11:39:30 AM »
Yeah, it's very much 100 year old text and ideas, especially in the earlier stories I've read so far. I haven't seen too much racism appear, other than his description of the one Mexican that's appeared so far.

Let me guess - was it a certain underperforming attacking midfielder?