Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 525755 times)

Offline The College Dropout

• General Member
  • The Look Of Satisfaction
Cricket
« on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:27:13 pm »
What do you think of Cricket? I've always tried to get into it but it is just to boring. Utter crap and I am amazed how much coverage it gets.
« Last Edit: Sunday 23 August 2015, 05:58:29 pm by midds »

Offline Aphrodite

• General Member
Re: Cricket
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:29:41 pm »
I think you need to fully understand it to find it good. Maybe if you get started on twenty20 or one day cricket you might find it easier to watch the Tests.
Interviewer: Which pantomine contains the character 'Widow Twanky'?
Sean Thornton: Romeo and Juliet

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:30:33 pm »
I've always sneered at it.  Loved a game of it when I was at school, but could never watch it.

Started watching this Test series, actually enjoying it.  But for run of the mill cricket, I'd hate it.  Important internationals are tolerable.
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Andy

« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:32:02 pm »
Don't mind playing it, but I don't have the patience to watch it...

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:32:17 pm »
Should be banned for misuse of the word "sport".
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

smoggeordie

« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:33:27 pm »
I love cricket, its the most skillful sport on the planet (opening up a debate i know, but it's my opinion)

Offline PM

• General Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:33:57 pm »
I've thrown myself in at the deep end with the Ashes as my 1st ever TV cricket.  And I'm enjoying it.

I still know very little about it mind.

Papa Lazaru

« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:34:10 pm »
Cricket's great and i can happilly watch all 5 days of a test (or 4 days more likely at the rate they play now!)

As said earlier its a game that is bets enjoyed once you really have a grasp of all the rules, positions, tactics, pitches, types of bowling and many other factors which takes time.

However i can see how its a love/hate thing, that some people can watch for a week and others can't stand!

northwestmag1892

« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:39:11 pm »
Cricket's great and i can happilly watch all 5 days of a test (or 4 days more likely at the rate they play now!)

As said earlier its a game that is bets enjoyed once you really have a grasp of all the rules, positions, tactics, pitches, types of bowling and many other factors which takes time.

However i can see how its a love/hate thing, that some people can watch for a week and others can't stand!

I agree. Modern time tests are more like one-dayers in terms of batting pace/tactics.

Nowt better than on a sunny Sunday afternoon taking my bairn down to watch my local (good quality - some county players) side over a pint of Stella and have a knock with him in the nets.  bluebiggrin.gif

.. certainly beats being on the Toon footie board getting depressed at the lack of "in" transfer activity

Offline Aphrodite

• General Member
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:42:01 pm »
Aye, I've wasted many days of my life to watching cricket on the TV or down at Chester-le-Street. It really is a love or hate thing.

Kitty-Sniper

« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:42:09 pm »
aye but surrey lions are utter crap at the minute. I was there at the leicstershire game though, my first of the season (but i missed the Brown century :lol: ) amazed they actually won.

Offline TêteDeMaure

• General Member
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:42:13 pm »
I'm a cricket convert, i used to detest it. When my dad used to put it on I'd cringe and go somewhere else. Really hated it. I started watching the one day ones, and i thought I'd like cricket if it was as fast as this. I started watching this test and i absolutely love cricket, my dads got me up too speed with all of the rules and i think it's why i didn't enjoy it originally, not knowing them. I've watched it from the start of the day until the end, and everyday since it started  bluedead.gif and I'm absolutely hooked, i get genuinely excited when we hit a six, or get one of the Aussies out. I'll definitely be watching after the ashes too!!

Offline Aphrodite

• General Member
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 08:44:06 pm »
I'm still not happy about the moving of cricket from C4 to Sky. Not the best move by the ECB.

Offline Dinho lad

• General Member
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 August 2005, 11:20:18 pm »
What do you think of Cricket? I've always tried to get into it but it is just to boring. Utter crap and I am amazed how much coverage it gets.

:hello2:

Online Sima

• General Member
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 August 2005, 12:51:15 pm »
Cricket is quality you heathens.

ShearersElbow

« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 August 2005, 12:57:29 pm »
Playing it is top banana love a good game, can't really watch a whole test apart from teh Ashes ones, always watch the highlights though, perfect background telly for having a day long p*ss up.

Offline Elric

• General Member
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 August 2005, 01:05:16 pm »
The sporting equivalent of smashing yourself in the face with a housebrick repeatedly for 'entertainment'  :wink:
Soon this will feel like a distant dream. Until then, may you rest in a deep and dreamless slumber

Offline The College Dropout

• General Member
  • The Look Of Satisfaction
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 August 2005, 02:48:32 pm »
I'd rather cut my wrists than watch every second of the Ashes.

ticaL

« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 August 2005, 07:12:00 pm »
Cricket is the dogs bollocks. It's a shame people don't have patience these days, with your flashing lights and things, argh!

Great sport when you understand it, as is Formula 1.

Offline Micktoon

• General Member
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 August 2005, 08:02:17 pm »
The sporting equivalent of smashing yourself in the face with a housebrick repeatedly for 'entertainment'  :wink:

Go on then prove your theory.
To the man who stated "it's a hard life" Voltaire replied "compared to what".

Supporting The Toon, that's what!!!!

Offline Aphrodite

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 August 2005, 08:10:07 pm »

He already has by the look of him. ;)

Joke. :P

Offline PM

• General Member
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 August 2005, 08:17:30 pm »
The sporting equivalent of smashing yourself in the face with a housebrick repeatedly for 'entertainment' :wink:

He already has by the look of him. ;)

Joke. :P

:lol:

Offline Elric

• General Member
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 August 2005, 03:25:41 pm »
You diss the cricket, and this is what you get  bluesigh.gif bluebiggrin.gif
Soon this will feel like a distant dream. Until then, may you rest in a deep and dreamless slumber

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 August 2005, 11:07:59 am »
Cricket is the dogs bollocks. It's a shame people don't have patience these days, with your flashing lights and things, argh!

Great sport when you understand it, as is Formula 1.

agreed

smoggeordie

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 August 2005, 12:13:27 pm »
Anyone else going to the day nighter at Chester le Street tonight?