Author Topic: Hip hop fans  (Read 41926 times)

Offline junkhead

• General Member
Re: Hip hop fans
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 10:30:05 am »
so what happened to Raekwon's new album.. Cuban Linx 2.. is it out yet?
█║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║║█║

Your pencil thin, Evian drinking, calorie counting,
caffiene limiting, sodium spearing, nutrasweet sweetening,
read view mirror preening, carrot nibbling..
bunny !

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 12:19:04 pm »
I can't believe how little love Pac is getting no here.

Screw you guys, Tupac was f***ing genius. And a kid that died too early at that. Not only did he hold the power to actually make real change in his life if he had stayed alive and gotten past the 'gangsta' bullshit, but his music would've actually become better and better. Dying at 25 ain't exactly peaking in any shape or form.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 12:29:23 pm »

Screw you guys, Tupac was f***ing genius. And a kid that died too early at that. Not only did he hold the power to actually make real change in his life if he had stayed alive and gotten past the 'gangsta' bullshit, but his music would've actually become better and better. Dying at 25 ain't exactly peaking in any shape or form.

Shame his mother is doing her best to ruin his legacy.

Btw I think about all the gangsta bullshit he got involved in, was more down to Suge than anybody else, as it appeared to me he was often trying to appease Suge, especially in those final few months.

I mean look at the incident itself when he stole that change off Orlando Anderson on the night of his death, why didn't any of the other lackies there that night do it instead of Pac?
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline olliemort

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 12:32:36 pm »
Go back and listen to the album Blackstar and then pray that they work together again on more than just one track each time one of them releases a new cd. And if you like them go listen to Common's old stuff, Resurrection and Like Water For Chocolate are amazing in every sense of the word. I never get tired of listening to them.
Agree with ya there one hundred percent!Ya Im going to go back and listen ta Blacksta,such a quality album!Ya have all Commons albums,quality!

kingdawson

« Reply #54 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 05:26:58 pm »

Screw you guys, Tupac was f****** genius. And a kid that died too early at that. Not only did he hold the power to actually make real change in his life if he had stayed alive and gotten past the 'gangsta' bullshit, but his music would've actually become better and better. Dying at 25 ain't exactly peaking in any shape or form.

Oh you mean Mr contradictions. Pac was ok i suppose but the guy is so over-rated its not even funny.

Online The College Dropout

• General Member
  • The Look Of Satisfaction
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 09:18:22 pm »
Go back and listen to the album Blackstar and then pray that they work together again on more than just one track each time one of them releases a new cd. And if you like them go listen to Common's old stuff, Resurrection and Like Water For Chocolate are amazing in every sense of the word. I never get tired of listening to them.

One of my top 5 Hip-Hop albums. However I've found that I listen to Like Water For Chocolate more as I've gotten older and had a child. I haven't listened to any of Mos Def last couple of albums.. terrible reviews, more singing & singles I don't enjoy. Makes me believe he's totally unfocused.

Why do I get the feeling if I had of said Reasonable Doubt, you would have said The Blueprint?

I wouldn't. Reasonable Doubt is quite clearly hov's strongest release.

I believe Jay-Z has the strongest discography in Hip-Hop.

I'd say The Blueprint is slightly better than Reasonable Doubt, then again I think The Black Album is better than Reasonable Doubt. I remember not really caring much for Jay-Z in 1996 and was surprised by how good the album was, infact he only got my attention when I saw Biggie in the Dead Presidents video. Whilst in 2001 I couldn't wait for the Blueprint. I remember listening to it for the first time on 9/11.

American Gangster is another strong release from Jay-Z. Who would've thought Puff Daddy would help make a better jay-Z album than Dr. Dre???

Put on the back burner. He has some real issues with RZA financially and musically.

the Wu were really a great group and RZA helmed many great albums back-to-back. The only person seemingly able to sustain a career without RZA is Ghostface. Method Man must be the most disappointing rapper of all time, when I was young I swore he would have a bunch of great albums and would out-sell Snoop. Method doesn't even have a top 5 Wu-Tang related album.

There seems to be a distinct lack of fresh blood in Hip-Hop or maybe I'm just getting old. Where's the next Jay-Z? The next Nas? The next OutKast?

Speaking of which do we have any OutKast fans here?

• General Member
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 09:22:31 pm »

Screw you guys, Tupac was f****** genius. And a kid that died too early at that. Not only did he hold the power to actually make real change in his life if he had stayed alive and gotten past the 'gangsta' bullshit, but his music would've actually become better and better. Dying at 25 ain't exactly peaking in any shape or form.

Oh you mean Mr contradictions. Pac was ok i suppose but the guy is so over-rated its not even funny.

Didn't you say you were a Nas fan? Nas & Ice Cube have to be 2 of the most contradictory artists of all-time. Can't really use that against 2Pac.

I think it was only a matter of time before 2pac died by the way he was behaving.

Offline ewerk

• General Member
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 09:38:30 pm »

There seems to be a distinct lack of fresh blood in Hip-Hop or maybe I'm just getting old. Where's the next Jay-Z? The next Nas? The next OutKast?

kingdawson

« Reply #58 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 10:02:23 pm »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm no. Lupe fiasco?? he's ok i sppose but you can only rap about skateboards so many times.

Saigon is a talented emcee though.

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 10:04:06 pm »

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm no. Lupe fiasco?? he's ok i sppose but you can only rap about skateboards so many times.

Yet you think Cassidy is amazing?
Consider winning

kingdawson

« Reply #60 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 10:05:51 pm »
He's better than lupe fiasco thats for Damn sure.

Offline Syrette

• TAFKA Role Model
  • General Member
  • Forward thinking
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 10:09:02 pm »

for the win

Offline The Bonk

• General Member
  • ⬆ Sorted.
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 17 November 2007, 10:41:59 pm »

The Neptunes seem to have done alright. 

kingdawson

« Reply #63 on: Sunday 18 November 2007, 12:49:21 am »

The Neptunes seem to have done alright. 

Which is down to their production work. Nothing to do with them being good emcees.

• General Member
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 18 November 2007, 02:26:36 am »
Aye Lupe Fiasco is a fabulous MC. He's rapped about skateboarding. How many times can you relate to songs about skateboarding.... errr he's only made 2 (Kick Push 1&2). Cassidy has never made a song as inventive as "The Cool" nor told such a good story. None of this baller s*** (Cassidy is not rich) Lupe raps about the ghetto and issues within it, absent fathers, death, drug dealing.

Cassidy revels in his new found "gangster" and boasts about that murder case he was involved in. I'm 90% sure Lupe's FnF Label was set-up with heroin money yet Lupe doesn't glorify that lifestyle.

I'm a huge Jay-Z fan and Lupe's style is very similar and whilst Jay-Z is good with metaphors Lupe takes double-entradres to a whole other level. The first song of his I heard "Failure" was filled with lyrical gems. Probably the best MC under 30.

Unfortunately he'll never be at the forefront of Hip-Hop like a Jay-Z or Nas. For the good of the genre, it needs young and talented artist getting some kind of mainstream recognition. It's not like Lupe Fiasco can't write an impressive hook/chorus when needed.

I thought Saigon was the future sometime in 2003. 4 years later i'm still waiting for the album. He was on that Mark Ronson song around 2003 and he and hasn't really done anything of note since then apart from clothesline Prodigy from Mobb Deep. His "my album is better than Illmatic" talk is annoying. Him/Just Blaze/ Atlantic records have really messed about here. If he had the work ethic of a Lil Wayne maybe he would've had an album out in all these years.

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 18 November 2007, 01:23:57 pm »
It's funny how anyone with an ounce of 'consciousness' in his rap is now considered incredible to the kids of today, when all hip hop used to be 'conscious' at one point.

*Sigh*... I'm just getting old.

Offline olliemort

• General Member
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 18 November 2007, 01:34:28 pm »

One of my top 5 Hip-Hop albums. However I've found that I listen to Like Water For Chocolate more as I've gotten older and had a child. I haven't listened to any of Mos Def last couple of albums.. terrible reviews, more singing & singles I don't enjoy. Makes me believe he's totally unfocused.

Why do I get the feeling if I had of said Reasonable Doubt, you would have said The Blueprint?

I'd say The Blueprint is slightly better than Reasonable Doubt, then again I think The Black Album is better than Reasonable Doubt. I remember not really caring much for Jay-Z in 1996 and was surprised by how good the album was, infact he only got my attention when I saw Biggie in the Dead Presidents video. Whilst in 2001 I couldn't wait for the Blueprint. I remember listening to it for the first time on 9/11.

American Gangster is another strong release from Jay-Z. Who would've thought Puff Daddy would help make a better jay-Z album than Dr. Dre???

Put on the back burner. He has some real issues with RZA financially and musically.

the Wu were really a great group and RZA helmed many great albums back-to-back. The only person seemingly able to sustain a career without RZA is Ghostface. Method Man must be the most disappointing rapper of all time, when I was young I swore he would have a bunch of great albums and would out-sell Snoop. Method doesn't even have a top 5 Wu-Tang related album.

Outkast are defo one of my favourites,top class!Loved nearly every album except for the love below,that was awful although speakerbox made up for it

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 18 November 2007, 01:37:38 pm »

Outkast are defo one of my favourites,top class!Loved nearly every album except for the love below,that was awful although speakerbox made up for it

Mos Def actually is NOT a 'rapper' or an 'emcee' in its purest sense, but a singer and a social commentator who tries to reenact eras gone by, where music made in bars over a guitar and a few synths could make the night go by that much better.

Love the dude.

Strongly suggest you give Black on Both Sides and -- especially -- The New Danger a listen. It takes time to appreciate his stuff, but when it grows on you and you see what he's trying to do, you can't stop playing it as there's quite a bit of depth there.

• General Member
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 18 November 2007, 02:25:08 pm »

Mos Def actually is NOT a 'rapper' or an 'emcee' in its purest sense, but a singer and a social commentator who tries to reenact eras gone by, where music made in bars over a guitar and a few synths could make the night go by that much better.

Love the dude.

Strongly suggest you give Black on Both Sides and -- especially -- The New Danger a listen. It takes time to appreciate his stuff, but when it grows on you and you see what he's trying to do, you can't stop playing it as there's quite a bit of depth there.

Oh no, I think Black On Both Sides is a very good album. Then he goes off and does a lot more acting, comes back 5 or so years later. Although I didn't give it much of a chance, I thought the New Danger was decent. I haven't even bothered to listen to the last album he had out.

I still don't think he's made a better song than "Thieves In The Night".

Offline jwillie

• General Member
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 18 November 2007, 03:42:09 pm »
Going back to Resonable Doubt. It is a classic. Albums like that make me for sad for the yanks though. There hardly anything relevant coming from over there now. Can't beleve people are looking past the UK so much

Check:
Ghetto
Scorcher
Wretch 32
Klashnekoff
Skepta
Kano
JME
Wiley
Wordsmith
Genesis Elijah
Luc Skyz
Rising Son
Lowkey
Skinnyman
Dubbledge

In no particular order. There so much talent here other than just the cheap videos you see on Channel U.

Wretch 32's new video is out. Good song called punctuation, check it out (Its not the best Uk song ever but give it a listen)

Offline Syrette

• TAFKA Role Model
  • General Member
  • Forward thinking
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 18 November 2007, 04:31:46 pm »
Skinnyman is a bit of a t***, agree with most of your other suggestions though. There is some decent UK rap out there (certainly more than there used to be).

kingdawson

« Reply #71 on: Sunday 18 November 2007, 04:33:53 pm »
Going back to Resonable Doubt. It is a classic. Albums like that make me for sad for the yanks though. There hardly anything relevant coming from over there now. Can't beleve people are looking past the UK so much

Check:
Ghetto
Scorcher
Wretch 32
Klashnekoff
Skepta
Kano
JME
Wiley
Wordsmith
Genesis Elijah
Luc Skyz
Rising Son
Lowkey
Skinnyman
Dubbledge

In no particular order. There so much talent here other than just the cheap videos you see on Channel U.

Wretch 32's new video is out. Good song called punctuation, check it out (Its not the best Uk song ever but give it a listen)

Hahahaha i actually know this guy. Friend of a friend, really cool guy and a talented emcee.

As for the first three youve listed, there all good but i cant believe you didnt mention Devlin who is also in the same camp and is ridiculously talented.

• General Member
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 18 November 2007, 05:03:33 pm »
No grown man over the age of 25 should watch Channel U. Too much rapid claps that sound like gun fire. I must be 10 years older than a lot of the folks that are on it.

But yeah the UK has a lot of talent.

I must be the only person on earth who likes Akala. I saw him perform some time ago as an opening act for Common. Nobody was interested, shame, his 2 albums are really good.

kingdawson

« Reply #73 on: Sunday 18 November 2007, 05:36:21 pm »
No grown man over the age of 25 should watch Channel U. Too much rapid claps that sound like gun fire. I must be 10 years older than a lot of the folks that are on it.

I must be the only person on earth who likes Akala. I saw him perform some time ago as an opening act for Common. Nobody was interested, shame, his 2 albums are really good.

Akala is good lyrically but the guy is just so boring and dull its unreal.

Offline jwillie

• General Member
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 18 November 2007, 08:26:36 pm »

Ive actually got both his albums, dunno how I forgot him. He is a smart guy aswell. Unlike some grime artists who just talk s***. He has got a lot to say. Love the song Why Do with his sister Ms Dynamyte.

And as for Devlin. Haven't seen a mixtape from him. Got the rest of the M.O.V.E.M.E.N.T.S though. Thats only where I've heard him.

Another one aswell. Blemish Blackstorm. His verse on This Road Life with Wretch is BIG. And Westwood is a c***.