Author Topic: Living in London  (Read 26750 times)

Offline Colo's Short and Curlies

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
Re: Living in London
« Reply #25 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:46:10 PM »
£35k

Deductions £8k
Rent 10k
Bills 5k
Food 5k
travel 3k

Leaves you about £75 a week for yourself.

Live outside London and commute is my advice.

Think your deductions are a bit low, I'm on £35k and bring home £2k per month (after tax, NI and Student Loan). Thats about £11k deductions. Though you could proably bring food down to about £50 a week (£2.5 a year) if your on your own

Ok 11k deductions.

Had your budget ripped to shreads here by various people haven't you! Never mind, heart was in the right place I'm sure

Yes well I only lived in London for 15 years I must be clueless. mackems.gif

to be fair though, prices have gone up since decimilisation just a bit :razz:
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

alex

« Reply #26 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:46:28 PM »
I was kidding btw Parky.

Offline ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #27 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:47:55 PM »
No idea how anyone can survive on less than £20k in London! I dont think you're really comfortable untill you get above £40k, however, sharing a one-bed with a lass makes a massive difference.

Mind you, i'm s*** with money, if you're good at budgeting i'm sure you can survive on almost anything.

Greenwich isnt s*** btw, its actually really nice for the area. For the record though, i'd personlly not live within 5 miles of that area. East + South = wrong.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #28 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:48:21 PM »
£35k

Deductions £8k
Rent 10k
Bills 5k
Food 5k
travel 3k

Leaves you about £75 a week for yourself.

Live outside London and commute is my advice.

Think your deductions are a bit low, I'm on £35k and bring home £2k per month (after tax, NI and Student Loan). Thats about £11k deductions. Though you could proably bring food down to about £50 a week (£2.5 a year) if your on your own

Ok 11k deductions.

Had your budget ripped to shreads here by various people haven't you! Never mind, heart was in the right place I'm sure

Yes well I only lived in London for 15 years I must be clueless. mackems.gif

to be fair though, prices have gone up since decimilisation just a bit :razz:

I think it is doable on take home of around 24k which is what we're talking about but only just and you have to be careful where you live.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #29 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:51:58 PM »

jimmy1982

« Reply #30 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:58:10 PM »
alright then if you must know.... not much of an accountant, and don't keep to a budget or anyhting - just cut down on the spending til next payday if its looking a bit tight - but i reckon my expenditure would look something like this.

pay = 15k tax free (equivalent to about 18-19 grand taxed isn't it?)
rent = 82.50 a week for small studio flat shared with my lass (165 for the flat all bills included, split between the two of us)
travel = nothing to work (walk) but about 20 quid a week getting to 2 football matches and 2 trainings a week.
food = 40 quid a week tops

spend most of my time working or playing football, so not much free time to spend rest of the money - say 20 quid a week plus 20 quid match fees and a drink after matches..
plus a few weekends up home and two holidays a year = 2k absolute tops.

you can work it out if you can be bothered but it should all add up.

if i was getting 35k i'd be laughing!

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
« Reply #31 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 02:01:04 PM »
alright then if you must know.... not much of an accountant, and don't keep to a budget or anyhting - just cut down on the spending til next payday if its looking a bit tight - but i reckon my expenditure would look something like this.

rent = 82.50 a week for small studio flat shared with my lass (165 for the flat all bills included, split between the two of us)
travel = nothing to work (walk) but about 20 quid a week getting to 2 football matches and 2 trainings a week.

spend most of my time working or playing football, so not much free time to spend rest of the money - say 20 quid a week plus 20 quid match fees and a drink after matches..

If you were getting £35k your lass would have you out of that flat for starters and food would start coming from Marks and Spencer based on that expenditure.

Just out of interest, how are you getting £15k tax free?
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

jimmy1982

« Reply #32 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 02:02:01 PM »

If you were getting £35k your lass would have you out of that flat for starters and food would start coming from Marks and Spencer based on that expenditure.

doing a phd mate, its a scolarship so not taxed.

Offline Munkey

• General Member
« Reply #33 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 02:06:31 PM »
£35k's more than enough to get by in London.

you can get soemwhere decent for far less than £800 if yer sharing. i pay under £500 a month, it's a grand flat sharing with 2 others...massive rooms and a decent garden...it is in Brixton though so that could be why...

it would be best to get somewhere where you can get to work quickly and easily, but that aklso has decent links to the rest of London. the tube's a fuckin nightmare at the best of time and costs a load.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #34 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 02:13:41 PM »

You live in one room with another person and you walk to work...That's it in a nutshell. Well done on you're spending habits...

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
« Reply #35 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 02:15:51 PM »

Student! says it all then (not in a disparaging way, just explains how you get by on a lower income)

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #36 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 02:19:35 PM »

Student! says it all then (not in a disparaging way, just explains how you get by on a lower income)

...the thread has been skewed as a real document by the filthy hands of a student. blueyes.gif :cheesy:

What's the phd in?

jimmy1982

« Reply #37 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 02:23:46 PM »

...the thread has been skewed as a real document by the filthy hands of a student. blueyes.gif :cheesy:

What's the phd in?

:lol: fair enough!

in my defence i would say that the only discount i get from being a student is not having to pay council tax, all other costs are the same (ie not living in student accomodation).

phd is in engineering fluid dynamics, its absolutely bricks. can't wait to wash my hands of the thing.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #38 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 02:25:30 PM »

What's the phd in?

:lol: fair enough!

in my defence i would say that the only discount i get from being a student is not having to pay council tax, all other costs are the same (ie not living in student accomodation).

phd is in engineering fluid dynamics, its absolutely bricks. can't wait to wash my hands of the thing.

Water flows downhill my friend. Next. bluerazz.gif

jimmy1982

« Reply #39 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 02:26:09 PM »
You live in one room with another person and you walk to work...That's it in a nutshell. Well done on you're spending habits...

I can't work out if you're being sarcastic there Parky.

Offline ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #40 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 02:26:56 PM »
So no council tax and a student/uni accomodation at dirt cheap prices in the centre of town leading to zero transport costs.

Reality check coming this way......

Offline Nobby

• General Member
  • www.nufc-london.com
« Reply #41 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 02:35:50 PM »

I live in Greenwich, it's much nicer than the rest of london

rent is about £100 a week per person

bus and tube travel is £20 a week

Good things come to those who wait

jimmy1982

« Reply #42 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 02:38:13 PM »
So no council tax and a student/uni accomodation at dirt cheap prices in the centre of town leading to zero transport costs.

Reality check coming this way......

not sure where the student accomodation and reality check bits came from!

looking forward to a much easier life to be honest!

BigSamsBarmyArmy

« Reply #43 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 05:52:08 PM »

I live in Greenwich, it's much nicer than the rest of london

rent is about £100 a week per person

bus and tube travel is £20 a week

Depends where you live. Was £25 for me before

Offline Rob W

• General Member
« Reply #44 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 06:25:16 PM »
Miss W and friends were paying £2000 a month for a 4 bed tiny flat in a very rough ex council block in Camden

then the landlord put the rent up by 35%.........................
The rapturous, wild & ineffable pleasure of drinking at someone else's expense

Offline James

• Book Wanker Wannabe
  • General Member
« Reply #45 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 06:52:43 PM »
I've got an interview next Friday at one of the most well known organisations in the world, and its based in London.

I've had a look on the internet, and there seem to plenty of nice enough house shares at £100-200 a month with bills and council tax included.
I looked into the eye of the Island and what I saw was beautiful.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #46 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 06:55:19 PM »
I've got an interview next Friday at one of the most well known organisations in the world, and its based in London.

Congratulations mate. Who's it with? Trotters Independent Trading?
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

Offline James

• Book Wanker Wannabe
  • General Member
« Reply #47 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 07:00:06 PM »

Not telling. I REALLY WANT this job, so am keeping schtum as it is still open to applicants.
I looked into the eye of the Island and what I saw was beautiful.

jamesmartinsmith

« Reply #48 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 07:01:51 PM »
There's some relatively nice parts of Charlton.

Offline midds

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 07:04:36 PM »

Not telling. I REALLY WANT this job, so am keeping schtum as it is still open to applicants.

...and you think mentioning it on a football forum may hinder your chances?  :lol: