Author Topic: Living in London  (Read 26849 times)

Offline macphisto

• General Member
Living in London
« on: Friday 5 October 2007, 11:00:31 AM »
Does anyone have any info on where is half decent to live in London and what I should be looking to pay? Not too concerned about sharing with other people as along as they are "young professionals". I'm going to be working in South East London (Greenwich) so any info more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

Offline Parky

• General Member
Re: Living in London
« Reply #1 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 11:05:55 AM »
Does anyone have any info on where is half decent to live in London and what I should be looking to pay? Not too concerned about sharing with other people as along as they are "young professionals". I'm going to be working in South East London (Greenwich) so any info more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

It will be wildly expensive and soul destroying at the same time.

jimmy1982

« Reply #2 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 11:13:19 AM »
as close to work as possible! you want to be spending the minimum amount of time on the tube as you can possibly manage. in my experience that is the most important consideration (after making sure you don't end up living in one of the south london ghettos obviously). as Parky it can be soul destroying and the tube is the principal culprit for that.

Offline ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 11:18:37 AM »
Errr.... Live in Greenwich then.

You could live north of the river and use the dlr to get south of the river.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/print_maps/LondonConnections.pdf

Buying in Deptford is a good investment but its moody as f*** at times.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #4 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 11:24:07 AM »
Dulwich is nice. The commute wouldn't be all that bad. Parts of Lambeth are alright and not too far away from where you're going to be working.

In all seriousness though, rents are ridiculous in London. What are you going to be doing workwise? And how much moolah are you going to be making? That will pretty much determine whether you end up in a hellhole or somewhere half decent, tbh.
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

lankybellwipe

« Reply #5 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 12:15:42 PM »

London - or "Cockneyworld" i have not visited, so can't really provide you advice on accomodation or real estate in the world of the cockney.

All i can say is I'd rather be on the dole than talk to either of the Mitchell Brothers.  (Gwarnt or Phiw)

Offline macphisto

• General Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 12:54:24 PM »
In all seriousness though, rents are ridiculous in London. What are you going to be doing workwise? And how much moolah are you going to be making? That will pretty much determine whether you end up in a hellhole or somewhere half decent, tbh.

Going to be roughly £35,000 a year for the first year, though I'll be out of the country for about 2-4months of the year travelling so should make some money on my expenses.

Don't think getting the tube will really be an option as I went to the place yesterday and got off at North Norwich (next to the dome) and it took quite a while to get to Plumstead (the place I'll be working) by bus, so I think I'll use the train as there is a stop at plumstead.

Just going off first impressions which was on the bus, but when I had a look round Greenwich, the place looked pretty rough. This was why I was asking about what areas to live in.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 12:55:49 PM »

Going to be roughly £35,000 a year for the first year, though I'll be out of the country for about 2-4months of the year travelling so should make some money on my expenses.

Don't think getting the tube will really be an option as I went to the place yesterday and got off at North Norwich (next to the dome) and it took quite a while to get to Plumstead (the place I'll be working) by bus, so I think I'll use the train as there is a stop at plumstead.

Just going off first impressions which was on the bus, but when I had a look round Greenwich, the place looked pretty rough. This was why I was asking about what areas to live in.

YOu won't survive on £35k mate.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #8 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 12:58:53 PM »

Shut up Parky.  :-X

He will survive. It'll just be a f***ing nightmare for him unless he turns to crime or renting out his arse of an evening.
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #9 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 12:59:30 PM »

Shut up Parky.  :-X

He will survive. It'll just be a f***ing nightmare for him unless he turns to crime or renting out his arse of an evening.

:cheesy:

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #10 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:11:11 PM »
£35k

Deductions £8k
Rent 10k
Bills 5k
Food 5k
travel 3k

Leaves you about £75 a week for yourself.

Live outside London and commute is my advice.

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #11 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:12:19 PM »
£35k

Deductions £8k
Rent 10k
Bills 5k
Food 5k
travel 3k

£3k for travel on the bus? And £800 a month on rent when he's going to be sharing a house? Parky lives extravagantly.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #12 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:13:21 PM »
£8.20 a day. inc travel for other activities etc....

Offline Colo's Short and Curlies

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
« Reply #13 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:19:05 PM »
£35k

Deductions £8k
Rent 10k
Bills 5k
Food 5k
travel 3k

Think your deductions are a bit low, I'm on £35k and bring home £2k per month (after tax, NI and Student Loan). Thats about £11k deductions. Though you could proably bring food down to about £50 a week (£2.5 a year) if your on your own
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #14 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:21:07 PM »
£35k

Deductions £8k
Rent 10k
Bills 5k
Food 5k
travel 3k

Think your deductions are a bit low, I'm on £35k and bring home £2k per month (after tax, NI and Student Loan). Thats about £11k deductions. Though you could proably bring food down to about £50 a week (£2.5 a year) if your on your own

Ok 11k deductions.

jimmy1982

« Reply #15 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:22:05 PM »
35k is plenty enough to live well in london, especially if you're willing to do a house share as you said. i've been living in central london for the last two years, earning about half that, and have managed fine and dandy. £800 a month rent isn't unreasonable for london though, even in a house share, if you want a decent place.

Offline macphisto

• General Member
« Reply #16 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:31:50 PM »
Thanks for the info, just been looking on easyroomate.com and found some alright places on there for approximately £500 a month. Obviously never seen them in the flesh but the pictures and descriptions sounded alright.

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #17 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:33:48 PM »
Thanks for the info, just been looking on easyroomate.com and found some alright places on there for approximately £500 a month. Obviously never seen them in the flesh but the pictures and descriptions sounded alright.

I think the best bet is to start at the cheap end and see how much money you've got to play with at the end of the month to gauge if you could stretch to making improvements here and there.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #18 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:36:48 PM »
35k is plenty enough to live well in london, especially if you're willing to do a house share as you said. i've been living in central london for the last two years, earning about half that, and have managed fine and dandy. £800 a month rent isn't unreasonable for london though, even in a house share, if you want a decent place.

Lay out your expenditure I'm curious...

Offline Colo's Short and Curlies

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
« Reply #19 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:39:12 PM »
£35k

Deductions £8k
Rent 10k
Bills 5k
Food 5k
travel 3k

Ok 11k deductions.

Had your budget ripped to shreads here by various people haven't you! Never mind, heart was in the right place I'm sure
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:40:30 PM »
£35k

Deductions £8k
Rent 10k
Bills 5k
Food 5k
travel 3k

Ok 11k deductions.

Had your budget ripped to shreads here by various people haven't you! Never mind, heart was in the right place I'm sure

Yes well I only lived in London for 15 years I must be clueless. mackems.gif

alex

« Reply #21 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:41:04 PM »

You sercetly working for CIA? Nosey Parker ;)

alex

« Reply #22 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:41:52 PM »
£35k

Deductions £8k
Rent 10k
Bills 5k
Food 5k
travel 3k

Ok 11k deductions.

Expensive tastes though, right?

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:42:29 PM »

You sercetly working for CIA? Nosey Parker ;)

It's guinness book of records stuff living in London CENTRAL for 17k a year.....I want proof.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Friday 5 October 2007, 01:44:03 PM »
£35k

Deductions £8k
Rent 10k
Bills 5k
Food 5k
travel 3k

Ok 11k deductions.

Expensive tastes though, right?

Apart from the occassional binge not really.