Author Topic: The Wire **Includes spoilers for all seasons, beware**  (Read 41245 times)

Offline brummie

• General Member
The Wire **Includes spoilers for all seasons, beware**
« on: Sunday 22 July 2007, 02:32:14 AM »
..... the second best show ever after The Sopranos, being shown from Series 1 onwards on FX from Monday.

Don't miss the chance, get on it
« Last Edit: Wednesday 21 May 2008, 01:30:31 AM by BlufPurdi »
Well focus on the quasar in the mist, the Kaiser has a cyst

Offline Parky

• General Member
Re: The Wire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 July 2007, 11:48:42 AM »
Seen the first two series utter class. Well written with a host of subsidiary characters and ultimately people you begin to care about, from the soul destroying survival of 'the projects' to the political wrangling inside the police dept and a drunken and self destructive Irish lead thrown in for good measure.

8.8/10

Watch it.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 July 2007, 07:56:42 PM »
better be good

Offline looneytoon

• General Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 July 2007, 09:44:13 PM »
IMO, better than The Sopranos. Second greatest programme of all time after The Simpsons.

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 July 2007, 09:45:50 PM »
My mate's been banging on about this for months on end. He reckons it's the best thing ever made.

Offline brummie

• General Member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 July 2007, 11:16:35 PM »
You'll struggle to find anyone who has watched it who doesn't think it is fantastic.

The writing is fantastic, there are multiple sub plots weaved in, and the whole thing just keeps growing and growing until series four by which time there are a massive number of characters in it.

Parky's point about people you care about is spot on - you'd think you'd struggle to empathise with drug dealers, but you'd be surprised.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 2007, 11:19:38 PM »
You'll struggle to find anyone who has watched it who doesn't think it is fantastic.

The writing is fantastic, there are multiple sub plots weaved in, and the whole thing just keeps growing and growing until series four by which time there are a massive number of characters in it.

Parky's point about people you care about is spot on - you'd think you'd struggle to empathise with drug dealers, but you'd be surprised.

Just getting warmed up for series 3.

I was discussing it with a mate today and he said it just gets better. Awesome.

Stringer Bell and his business course. :lol:

Offline brummie

• General Member
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 2007, 11:28:11 PM »
Season 2 was the only slight, slight dip for me. I love Stringer Bell, fantastic character (and he's played by a Brit, too).

I started watching it just before Christmas when I got made redundant. Did the entire first series in about 4 days (watching 3 a night after the Mrs had gone to bed). Followed up with Series 2 straight after, which lasted a week at most, then over Christmas polished off 3 and 4.

Clay Davis "Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiitttttttttt" is one of my favourite characters, but i dont think he comes into it until the later parts of series 3. You'll see what I mean.

Offline Baggio

• Definitely not black
  • General Member
  • Thinks NU$C are s****.
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 2007, 11:31:54 PM »
Is it on dvd?

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 July 2007, 11:42:04 PM »
It is, got the DVDs myself.  Only watched series 1 and 2 so far, and agree that it's great stuff.

Will never be above The Sopranos for me though, The Sopranos is a lot deeper than some people give it credit for.  However, I am beginning to have a strong liking for it.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline brummie

• General Member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 July 2007, 11:58:16 PM »
Is it on dvd?

Our local Blockbuster (and therefore I'd assume all of them) has the series 1 and 2 boxsets on 7 day loan at a fiver. Get them out, copy them, take it back, watch at your leisure.

Offline Decky

• General Member
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 July 2007, 12:23:24 AM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0306414/

Jesus 9.7 out of 10, it looks abit like The Shield, ill be giving this a watch.
Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 July 2007, 12:38:17 AM »
Can't say enough good things about this show. Season 5 is going to be the final, since viewer interest is so low here in the States.

Offline brummie

• General Member
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 July 2007, 10:07:04 PM »
Just started on FX channel 165 on Sky. Don't miss it.

Offline midds

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 July 2007, 11:12:44 PM »
That was good.  :thup:

Set Sky + to record the rest of the series.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 July 2007, 02:02:05 PM »
Season 2 was the only slight, slight dip for me. I love Stringer Bell, fantastic character (and he's played by a Brit, too).

I started watching it just before Christmas when I got made redundant. Did the entire first series in about 4 days (watching 3 a night after the Mrs had gone to bed). Followed up with Series 2 straight after, which lasted a week at most, then over Christmas polished off 3 and 4.

Clay Davis "Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiitttttttttt" is one of my favourite characters, but i dont think he comes into it until the later parts of series 3. You'll see what I mean.

Omar is just awesome. Those episodes where he comes out to steal the 'heights' stash are played like classic Westerns with him smoking a fag..."Don't yaall make me come in there now".. *Shotgun tucked under arm*.

Ted_Tedson

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 July 2007, 03:18:18 PM »
Couldn't believe it when I found out the guy who plays Stringer Bell is British. Fantastic performance.
I really am starting to think this is better than the Sopranos and I'm only up to season 2.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 July 2007, 06:26:32 PM »
Couldn't believe it when I found out the guy who plays Stringer Bell is British. Fantastic performance.
I really am starting to think this is better than the Sopranos and I'm only up to season 2.

It's very close. I'm holding off till I get to the end of season 3 to start judging. Awesome.

Offline brummie

• General Member
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 July 2007, 08:11:25 PM »
In all honesty, I can't really make my mind up which is better. I've loved the Sopranos for years, watched the first series on its first showing, and never thought anything would touch it.

Six Feet Under came tantalisingly close at times, as it is just so beautifully written and acted, but the complexity of the interwoven plots on The Wire make me think that maybe, just maybe it tops the Sopranos.

ALthough I can't quite bring myself to admit it.

Parky - three and four are just majestic. You think it is multilayered at the moment, wait till you see how it grows!

Offline brummie

• General Member
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 July 2007, 08:13:39 PM »
Incidentally, found this quote from an interview with Michael K Williams (Omar), asking how he got that scare:

It was my 25th birthday, I was in a bar, s*** got hot, drinking, then words got exchanged and bottom line, there was more of them then there was of me, dudes had razors in their mouths and I got cut. Wrong place, wrong time basically. Wrong drink. That definitely woke me up. That definitely was a life altering experience. I almost died that night.

He's the real deal!

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 July 2007, 07:36:49 PM »
Been meaning to get into this for ages, I watched the first episode a long time ago but never got round to seeing the rest.

Btw what was Jimmy Adams doing in the first episode?
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 July 2007, 10:54:13 PM »
Incidentally, found this quote from an interview with Michael K Williams (Omar), asking how he got that scare:

It was my 25th birthday, I was in a bar, s*** got hot, drinking, then words got exchanged and bottom line, there was more of them then there was of me, dudes had razors in their mouths and I got cut. Wrong place, wrong time basically. Wrong drink. That definitely woke me up. That definitely was a life altering experience. I almost died that night.

He's the real deal!

Indeed!

Online Shak

• General Member
« Reply #22 on: Friday 9 May 2008, 05:22:00 PM »
Watched all 5 series over the course of the last month or so while working nights.

Just brilliant, surely up there with the best shows ever made? Gives Oz, my previous favourite show ever, a real good run for its money anyway.

Stringer Bell has to be one of the better villains ever, just a really loathable guy on every single level. Marlo was pretty good, but not up to the level of Stringer IMO. Marlo's muscle, aka Snoop and Chris, were brilliant though and the emergence of Michael was done amazingly.

Has the finale aired over here yet? I watched them all on download so not sure. Anyway, the small ass text is a major Season 5 spoiler, so avoid if you've not seen it. I feel the need to vent however as it's probably the one real problem I had with the show.

*** Season 5 Spoiler ***

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: Monday 19 May 2008, 01:24:17 PM by Shak »

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Friday 9 May 2008, 05:33:22 PM »
Glad this is getting the recognition it deserves.

Offline pedro111

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Friday 9 May 2008, 05:52:14 PM »
Am I the only person who has never heard of this show before?

Havent got a clue about it, never ever seen it advertised anywhere.

Going by all your hype I want to see it from series one is it still on any channel?