Author Topic: Why we have a pretty good chance of finishing above Arsenal next season.  (Read 61182 times)

Offline Parky

• General Member
Re: Why we have a pretty good chance of finishing above Arsenal next season.
« Reply #50 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:35:20 PM »
They tried that with "fox in the box" Jeffers didn't they?

Was he purchased by the walking god Wenger?

He was indeedy. Along with his other bargain basement strikers such as Suker (9m?), Wiltord (£11m) & Reyes (£13m).

Stop it I'm ganna wet my knickers. mackems.gif

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #51 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:37:06 PM »
Let's get real for a minute. On paper we have a better strike force and a  better keeper as things stand. The playing field is levelling as we speak.

Offline toontownman

• General Member
« Reply #52 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:38:30 PM »
What makes it more crazy is the current state of the premiership.

Already this summer we have dramatically improved the squad and are on the way to possibly the best summers reshaping ever.

Yet even the likes of Deco wouldnt guarentee we are even that much closer to the top four.

Manure have spent a bomb
Arsenal have a bit of money to burn to the already exciting squad
Chelsea have added to the team and havent even spent yet...its coming.
Liverpool have brought in one of the most sort after strikers in Europe and are looking to cherry pick the best to theyre already solid team.
Spurs Bought Bent, Bale, will no doubt sign every up and coming talent in the world plus Messi,Ronaldo and God before the window ends.

Then we have the takeover club, Ourselves, Villa,pompey, West Ham and Man city all determined to make a statement and imprint to take the teams forward.

I think we could take four steps forward this summer but it would only relate to one with whats going on around us in the premiership. Mad close season, and im really hyped about what the new season will bring.

Tbh the Spurs buys are mediocre, nothing like the imagination and savvy Sam has shown.

I know what you mean and agree. Spurs have a solid enough basis to build upon with class players now. Id hope we will be back competing with Spurs by the end of the season.

Imaginative and savvy signings is a bit much though. The signings so far would have been predictable regardless of who was in charge. The hype surrounding Rozehnal is a bit much considering the majority of the board had never heard about him a month ago.

Optimism is a good thing though, and all too uncommon on here last season, where bitching, negativity and sceptacism could have barely got lower.

It will obviously take as much time as the team settling, for us to get our heads around all that has/is happening at the club.
Chris Hughton, simply the best manager we had from 2009-2010.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:39:26 PM »

He was indeedy. Along with his other bargain basement strikers such as Suker (9m?), Wiltord (£11m) & Reyes (£13m).

No way was Suker that much surely?
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

« Reply #54 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:40:30 PM »

No way was Suker that much surely?
West Ham have completed the signing of Davor Suker from Arsenal on a free transfer.

The 32-year-old Croatian international striker has signed a two-year deal with the Hammers.

Sukur joined Arsenal from Real Madrid for £3.5m last summer and scored 11 goals in 39 appearances, 24 of which were as a substitute.

But his chances of first team action diminished once Thierry Henry settled at Highbury and a move to Upton Park has been talked off since the turn of the year.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #55 on: Monday 9 July 2007, 11:57:36 PM »
Google to the rescue!!

Yet, of Wenger’s 50 or so buys, there are failures aplenty. Sylvain Wiltord, a £13 million capture from Bordeaux in 2000, scored 49 goals in four years. When he left Highbury for nothing, he was not exactly a wanted man – until yesterday. Police in France arrested him when he turned up for preseason training with Lyons because he had failed to appear in court on speeding charges.

— Luis Boa Morte, the Portugal winger, mostly flattered, while Christopher Wreh, the Liberian, and Kaba Diawara, from Guinea, barely registered. And can anyone recall Eric Chukwunyelu Obinna or Tomas Danilevicious?

— José Antonio Reyes, the Spain winger, soon became homesick, after signing from Seville for £10.5 million in January 2004, and spent last season on loan with Real Madrid. And what about Francis Jeffers, the much-lauded “Fox in the Box” who cost £8 million from Everton six years ago? Not such a cunning signing that one, Arsène.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/arsenal/article2017583.ece

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 12:05:55 AM »
Wenger is a brilliant manager, only a fool would suggest otherwise.

Offline ohmelads

• General Member
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 12:29:30 AM »
Wenger has made mistakes in the transfer market like every manager in the game. The difference with him is, when he gets it right, he gets a world class player for a brilliant price. I'd go so far as to say that, in relation to their fee and their worth thereafter, Henry, Vieira and Toure were possibly the 3 best signings in the history of the Premiership.

Offline Willow

• General Member
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 12:46:33 AM »
http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/premiership/article2750470.ece
They can f*** right off :angry5:

How hard would it be to offer him an new, say, 80-90k contract with no clauses (or at least reworked clauses) ?

This is what we need to do right now imo, to put this situation to rest.

Offline Gash?

• General Member
  • If I'm dead, you've been dead for weeks.
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 12:50:17 AM »
Biasedly and Unbiasedly i think no team will break the top four next season
I think Arsene will replace Henry has he did Vieira

Dudu could be this man, albeit slightly more than Cesc Fabregas who was aquired for free

Although i do think that if Arsenal dont spend more money in the future, where other clubs (not just the top 4) are, Arsenal could fall back

Offline ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 12:51:36 AM »

How hard would it be to offer him an new, say, 80-90k contract with no clauses (or at least reworked clauses) ?

If it means Gudjohnsen coming in though?

Offline ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 12:52:31 AM »

Dudu could be this man, albeit slightly more than Cesc Fabregas who was aquired for free

Although i do think that if Arsenal dont spend more money in the future, where other clubs (not just the top 4) are, Arsenal could fall back

:lol: Shut up.

Offline Willow

• General Member
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 12:54:11 AM »
No, I much prefer Oba. His has big future ahead of him and I'd hate to see him at Arsenal, scoring goals against us. I'd feel sick to my stomach... :(

Offline Pantu

• is a bad cat
  • General Member
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 12:54:46 AM »
People might, justifiably, slag off some of Wenger's signings, but the fact is he's had Arsenal playing in a certain style for a decade now whereas we're at the very beginning of a completely new era and what will probably be a totally different style under Allardyce (as in 'a' style, rather than the hopeless 'tactics' churned out by the previos two). Regardless of which signings come in, the transition between the s**** served up last season and the football we hope we'll be playing this season will, imo, surely take some time and I think that people are suggesting we could finish above Arsenal next season is pretty optimistic. Arsenal are still a very good team with a brilliant manager, if we finish 2 or 3 places below them next season it'll mean we'll have had a good season imo.

Offline Baggio

• Definitely not black
  • General Member
  • Thinks NU$C are s****.
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 12:58:30 AM »

We'll have the slowest strike force in the Premiership?

Offline ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 12:59:19 AM »
No, I much prefer Oba. His has big future ahead of him and I'd hate to see him at Arsenal, scoring goals against us. I'd feel sick to my stomach... :(

He might adapt to the top left in a 433, he might not though. It would be a shame but i could handle him leaving if he was replaced by proven quality.

Offline ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 01:00:41 AM »

We'll have the slowest strike force in the Premiership?

Well thats those clauses for you  :(

Invicta_Toon

« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 01:01:46 AM »
Google to the rescue!!

Yet, of Wenger’s 50 or so buys, there are failures aplenty. Sylvain Wiltord, a £13 million capture from Bordeaux in 2000, scored 49 goals in four years. When he left Highbury for nothing, he was not exactly a wanted man – until yesterday. Police in France arrested him when he turned up for preseason training with Lyons because he had failed to appear in court on speeding charges.

— Luis Boa Morte, the Portugal winger, mostly flattered, while Christopher Wreh, the Liberian, and Kaba Diawara, from Guinea, barely registered. And can anyone recall Eric Chukwunyelu Obinna or Tomas Danilevicious?

— José Antonio Reyes, the Spain winger, soon became homesick, after signing from Seville for £10.5 million in January 2004, and spent last season on loan with Real Madrid. And what about Francis Jeffers, the much-lauded “Fox in the Box” who cost £8 million from Everton six years ago? Not such a cunning signing that one, Arsène.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/arsenal/article2017583.ece

you don't know much about the new Messiah do you parklife?

Dr. Pongle

« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 01:02:08 AM »

Schuster could very well make Fabregas his first signing - seriously weaken your side.

Lovely.

Offline dcmk

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 01:10:09 AM »
Bolton nearly broke into top 4

why can't we?
better strikeforce than bolton.
better goalkeeper.
..by then hopefully better defense
and arguably a better midfield.

That's 5 goals in 6.

So? If our target man was any decent it'd be more than that with our long ball tactics tbh.

Invicta_Toon

« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 01:14:37 AM »
arseanl could well be f***ed, but not for the reasons stated. I forsee a player revolt if Arsene does not sign, with the ensuing press distration. All this year you will hear more and more players making comments about it, with plenty unwilling to renew contracts. I predict a Villa style player showdown by January.

Dr. Pongle

« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 01:17:21 AM »
Bolton nearly broke into top 4

why can't we?
better strikeforce than bolton.
better goalkeeper.
..by then hopefully better defense
and arguably a better midfield.

Our manager is also better than Bolton's manager last season

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 09:59:05 AM »
Wenger is a brilliant manager, only a fool would suggest otherwise.

Just pointing out that atm he is vulernable as are Arsenal. Look behind the curtain.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 10 July 2007, 10:02:49 AM »
People might, justifiably, slag off some of Wenger's signings, but the fact is he's had Arsenal playing in a certain style for a decade now whereas we're at the very beginning of a completely new era and what will probably be a totally different style under Allardyce (as in 'a' style, rather than the hopeless 'tactics' churned out by the previos two). Regardless of which signings come in, the transition between the s**** served up last season and the football we hope we'll be playing this season will, imo, surely take some time and I think that people are suggesting we could finish above Arsenal next season is pretty optimistic. Arsenal are still a very good team with a brilliant manager, if we finish 2 or 3 places below them next season it'll mean we'll have had a good season imo.

Footballers have to be taught how to pass and move? Gosh? That kind of trickery will take decades to learn.