Author Topic: Why we have a pretty good chance of finishing above Arsenal next season.  (Read 66074 times)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: Why we have a pretty good chance of finishing above Arsenal next season.
« Reply #450 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 05:54:02 PM »
a glance at the table and we will find out that we will be at least 15points behind arsenal at the end of the season

Did you just make that up?

Aye, it'll be more like 20+.

Well we're up with Chelsea. I suppose that is 'just ridiculous' as well. :lol:

The beauty of football (look at the Spurs saga) is that you never know what is going to happen and thankfully it isn't played on paper.

You think the Spurs and Chelsea crises will repeat at Arsenal?

Offline Kev

• General Member
« Reply #451 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 05:57:31 PM »
a glance at the table and we will find out that we will be at least 15points behind arsenal at the end of the season

i said at least 15points  :razz: i dont think they can go on winning like this all season, all it takes is adebayor, fabregas, toure to get injured and they arnt going to be happy, van persie already is a injury freak and hes a miss
so no i did not make that up i dont think we will be more than 25points away from them

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #452 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 06:03:49 PM »

Aye, it'll be more like 20+.

Well we're up with Chelsea. I suppose that is 'just ridiculous' as well. :lol:

The beauty of football (look at the Spurs saga) is that you never know what is going to happen and thankfully it isn't played on paper.

You think the Spurs and Chelsea crises will repeat at Arsenal?

I doubt it. But they will go through a bad patch at some point probably after CL games start catching up with them or a couple of inj.

I could just have easily titled the thread and replaced Arsenal with Spurs and it would have encountered a similar (not as much) amout of cynicism (rightly) because it seemed and many had us believe we were miles behing Spurs. I was never that convinced. The Chelsea crisis isn't over either imo as some players will try and jump ship if they can. Of course Wenger signed a new contract and it looks like Adebayor has started scoring it might have been different. They still have weaknesses but yes they have a better manager than Benitez... :lol:

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 06:05:33 PM »
I didn't think we had a chance of finishing above them when you started this thread and I've seen absolutely nothing so far to suggest otherwise. In fact I think they're on a major roll right now and are a good shout for the title.

Spurs were never close to Arsenal at the start of the season. In fact this thread might have generated just as much debate but been far more realistic had you named them instead.

Also, they have a frightening number of seemingly quality youngsters (who beat our lot comfortably in the League Cup) to step in for injuries.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #454 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 06:21:14 PM »
I didn't think we had a chance of finishing above them when you started this thread and I've seen absolutely nothing so far to suggest otherwise. In fact I think they're on a major roll right now and are a good shout for the title.

Spurs were never close to Arsenal at the start of the season. In fact this thread might have generated just as much debate but been far more realistic had you named them instead.

Also, they have a frightening number of seemingly quality youngsters (who beat our lot comfortably in the League Cup) to step in for injuries.

I don't think we had a chance of finishing above them either but it isn't why I started the thread. :razz:

I start threads like this sometimes (not always) cause in life I like to encourage people to look up and have hopes that challenge the best rather than 'are we better than Everton' type threads which can be argued easily both ways. My stance on this thread was almost impossible to argue but that's half the fun of it. :razz:

But......I honestly don't believe Man Utd and Arsenal aside the 'big 4' are that far ahead of us and Man C are already making a run at it. If they buy well at Christmas one of the big 4 might well miss out. One thing is for sure in football they won't be able to stay there permanently and especially now our setup is beginning to find new gears and a very special type of owner. :thup:

Online Shak

• General Member
« Reply #455 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 06:37:39 PM »

I don't think we had a chance of finishing above them either but it isn't why I started the thread. :razz:

I start threads like this sometimes (not always) cause in life I like to encourage people to look up and have hopes that challenge the best rather than 'are we better than Everton' type threads which can be argued easily both ways. My stance on this thread was almost impossible to argue but that's half the fun of it. :razz:

But......I honestly don't believe Man Utd and Arsenal aside the 'big 4' are that far ahead of us and Man C are already making a run at it. If they buy well at Christmas one of the big 4 might well miss out. One thing is for sure in football they won't be able to stay there permanently and especially now our setup is beginning to find new gears and a very special type of owner. :thup:

:lol:

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #456 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 07:25:49 PM »

That is a fantastic excuse  :laugh:

Anyway the whole Amady Faye thing, really I never thought he would do well with us but if I just went along with everyone else there wouldn't have been much to debate... :whistle:

Pie

« Reply #457 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 08:16:15 PM »

Anyway the whole Amady Faye thing, really I never thought he would do well with us but if I just went along with everyone else there wouldn't have been much to debate... :whistle:
I might be singing the same tune and owing you a pint if James Milner wins an England cap  :lol: ???

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #458 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 08:43:40 PM »

I might be singing the same tune and owing you a pint if James Milner wins an England cap  :lol: ???

Cracks starting to show or just a sneaky dig? :razz:

Nah I understand his pluses and negatives and have said myself I wouldn't be against us signing someone with pace (like SWP) as long as it wasn't the only attribute they possessed. Still think he could get that England call one day (not in the near future though), he is versatile and players a lot worse have been called up before.

As you often say (well slightly amended) he is (at least for now) a good squad player. Never really going to get any faster but will do a decent job and on occasion but in a very good performance.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #459 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 08:51:28 PM »

Nah I understand his pluses and negatives and have said myself I wouldn't be against us signing someone with pace (like SWP) as long as it wasn't the only attribute they possessed. Still think he could get that England call one day (not in the near future though), he is versatile and players a lot worse have been called up before.

As you often say (well slightly amended) he is (at least for now) a good squad player. Never really going to get any faster but will do a decent job and on occasion but in a very good performance.

Backtracking!  :frantic:
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #460 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 09:00:23 PM »

Show me where I have said anything different?

My comments regarding Milner have always been defending him against people have imo have gone too far in slating him (ie can't cross, can't beat his man, slower than my nan etc etc..). I have never said we couldn't do better but I have said we currently don't have anyone better in the side.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #461 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 09:01:58 PM »

Show me where I have said anything different?

My comments regarding Milner have always been defending him against people have imo have gone too far in slating him (ie can't cross, can't beat his man, slower than my nan etc etc..). I have never said we couldn't do better but I have said we currently don't have anyone better in the side.

I was taking the p*ss man, obviously a sensitive subject. ;)
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #462 on: Friday 26 October 2007, 09:03:41 PM »
f*** you bitch!

I am a bit hungry, so f***ing what!  :laugh:

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #463 on: Saturday 27 October 2007, 11:10:04 AM »

Milner can only improve so I reckon you're on relatively secure ground. There are many wingers with average pace and people like Beckham made up for it with his crossing ability...This is something Milner can work on as it is something that can be coached. He unlike Beckham is two footed which is another plus. There might be a bit more pace in Milner and I'd be looking to get him a sprint and conditioning coach.

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #464 on: Saturday 27 October 2007, 11:18:15 AM »
Personally, I'll back Milner through thick and thin. As a kid, he was one of a very small number of players who played his heart out for the club when it really mattered. Not the most talented player in the land, but you can't buy the fighting spirit and willingness he has in spades.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #465 on: Saturday 27 October 2007, 11:23:13 AM »
Personally, I'll back Milner through thick and thin. As a kid, he was one of a very small number of players who played his heart out for the club when it really mattered. Not the most talented player in the land, but you can't buy the fighting spirit and willingness he has in spades.

Agreed. blueyes.gif

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #466 on: Saturday 27 October 2007, 11:44:50 AM »

Also handed the way we treated him very well, can imagine a few others who are worshipped on here (past and present) who would have spat the dummy out.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #467 on: Sunday 13 July 2008, 09:32:50 AM »
What about this season?

David Goldblatt

Online Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
  • Solihull, West Midlands. GB
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Offline Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• General Member
« Reply #469 on: Sunday 13 July 2008, 09:59:05 AM »

i said at least 15points  :razz: i dont think they can go on winning like this all season, all it takes is adebayor, fabregas, toure to get injured and they arnt going to be happy, van persie already is a injury freak and hes a miss
so no i did not make that up i dont think we will be more than 25points away from them

Try 40 :lol:

Offline Mick

• General Member
« Reply #470 on: Sunday 13 July 2008, 10:53:13 AM »
What about this season?

Somebody was always going to bump this.  :lol:
"Hello, Bobby," he once greeted his England captain, Bryan Robson.

"I'm Bryan," the skipper replied. "You're Bobby."

Harry-Norway

« Reply #471 on: Sunday 13 July 2008, 12:44:09 PM »
 :clap:

Online Yorkie

• General Member
« Reply #472 on: Sunday 13 July 2008, 12:45:48 PM »
It's fairly easy for Dave to put your post count right back down again like. :lol:

Offline midds

• Administrator
« Reply #473 on: Sunday 13 July 2008, 12:47:32 PM »
It's fairly easy for Dave to put your post count right back down again like. :lol:

:coolsmiley:

Straight back to 0.

Online Yorkie

• General Member
« Reply #474 on: Sunday 13 July 2008, 12:49:56 PM »
:lol: Owned.