Author Topic: Ashley now owns NUFC - 93.19% shares gained.  (Read 199477 times)

Online ChezGiven

• General Member
Re: Ashley now owns NUFC - 93.19% shares gained.
« Reply #3275 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:19:49 PM »
Liverpool's fans were bleating on about their new owners as they took a long time to act. Look what happened when they did though. 

The sceptics and critics (if there are any) of the new board need to step back and look at the broader changes in the game and accept that we had to change with them too. It was the right time for the club to move on and in the eyes of one of the most astute decision-makers the club has had for a long time, the right person came along to sell to.

Sir John's role at the club, via his son, has always been that of the majority shareholder. Who knows how the articles of association of the club required managerial decisions to be made? With a small structure like we had and the proximity of the family in the day to day running, i would bet that Sir John had a lot of influence at the club. Douglas certainly did and i cant imagine him thinking too much for himself. I'm sure you could look at it differently but think about how influential his last act for the club was. Who was really in control if Shepherd couldnt stop it being sold?

FC United.

Not sure what you mean by that.  ???

Liverpool were on the verge of their takeover last year, tied it up in feb and have only really just invested big now in Torres. Was all i was trying to say.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #3276 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:21:22 PM »
Just meant that some Man Utd fans were so disgusted by the takeover there that they set up their own team. Not doing so badly under the Glazers are they?

I agree with your point.

Offline Toon Amy

• General Member
« Reply #3277 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:21:29 PM »
so he's an expert businessman but he jumped in a bought a Premiership club without first knowing if it needed debt recovery? He needs to do a review that frankly has taken so long you have to start wondering if he has reading difficulties. The same business that everyone is at great pains to assure everyone that the only way you make a profit is to spend on the pitch? (completely ignoring Doug Ellis in the process)

I wonder if ToonAmy et al remember the comments of Keegan about the support of Shepherd during his time here? I doubt it, when they compare a shop owner with a scrap metal merchant and somehow conclude the shop owner's more qualified to run a football club. Especially when he hands control of said club to a bloody lawyer.

And if you come back and say Ashley's more than a shop owner, I suggest you go back and review your own description of Fred.

No I was very young when Keegan was there. Not my fault, but no, I don't remember it.

But, to be fair, in your way, you have made a good point. Why should I trust a "Shop Owner" over a "Scrap Metal Merchant"? That is a good question.

Because the Scrap Metal Merchant became the King of the Castle, and ruled with an Iron fist (interfering with transfers, taking big dividends for doing nothihg etc), and I despise his methods, whereas the Shop Owner, is into Sports... and has no such illusions ... yet... he just wants his businesses to be successful, so therefore in the meantime I am buying into it... because so do I.

If someone takes a PLC private they also take on the responsibility, they get NO DIVIDEND, it is all on their own shoulders, and that for me will do for now...

It's true, there is no way to know ... you are right to be cautious, but I think you will find that you can stand down and chill out...
how many times....his cousin is the scrap metal merchant,fat fred and his brother made there cash in making offshore drilling rigs.
oookay...

even so, every else still stands...
@toon_amy

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #3278 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:28:26 PM »
so he's an expert businessman but he jumped in a bought a Premiership club without first knowing if it needed debt recovery? He needs to do a review that frankly has taken so long you have to start wondering if he has reading difficulties. The same business that everyone is at great pains to assure everyone that the only way you make a profit is to spend on the pitch? (completely ignoring Doug Ellis in the process)

I wonder if ToonAmy et al remember the comments of Keegan about the support of Shepherd during his time here? I doubt it, when they compare a shop owner with a scrap metal merchant and somehow conclude the shop owner's more qualified to run a football club. Especially when he hands control of said club to a bloody lawyer.

And if you come back and say Ashley's more than a shop owner, I suggest you go back and review your own description of Fred.

No I was very young when Keegan was there. Not my fault, but no, I don't remember it.

But, to be fair, in your way, you have made a good point. Why should I trust a "Shop Owner" over a "Scrap Metal Merchant"? That is a good question.

Because the Scrap Metal Merchant became the King of the Castle, and ruled with an Iron fist (interfering with transfers, taking big dividends for doing nothihg etc), and I despise his methods, whereas the Shop Owner, is into Sports... and has no such illusions ... yet... he just wants his businesses to be successful, so therefore in the meantime I am buying into it... because so do I.

If someone takes a PLC private they also take on the responsibility, they get NO DIVIDEND, it is all on their own shoulders, and that for me will do for now...

It's true, there is no way to know ... you are right to be cautious, but I think you will find that you can stand down and chill out...
how many times....his cousin is the scrap metal merchant,fat fred and his brother made there cash in making offshore drilling rigs.
oookay...

he may take no dividends but he will take all profits,even as a plc the best way to boostr dividends is to be succesful.

how do you know for sure about fat freds interfering ?
how do you know ashley has "no such illusions"? and he made his money from selling clothes not from "sports".

all businessmen want their businesses to be successful.

i'm all for ashleys move,but i'm not getting carried away.......................just yet.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Mick

• General Member
« Reply #3279 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:34:10 PM »
he may take no dividends but he will take all profits,even as a plc the best way to boostr dividends is to be succesful.

how do you know ashley has "no such illusions"? and he made his money from selling clothes not from "sports".

i'm all for ashleys move,but i'm not getting carried away.......................just yet.

Others will know more that I do but could he run a loss making business and gain tax incentives?  I've known people who run a business as a loss on paper while they've lived a very good lifestyle.
"Hello, Bobby," he once greeted his England captain, Bryan Robson.

"I'm Bryan," the skipper replied. "You're Bobby."

Offline Toon Amy

• General Member
« Reply #3280 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:35:48 PM »

oookay...

You don't have to get carried away. No one is asking you to do that.

But I do know that Shepherd interfered...why should you believe me? You don't have to. I am not going to try to convince you. But I know. And if you did some research, so would you.

As for Ashley, I have no proof either, sorry to dissapoint, but think about it and just be calm. IF we need to fear, we will know. There is no such reason yet.

Yes, that sounds really lame, in a world that wants proof, but do your own research, and think about it objectively. This is his Investment... why would he want it to fail?
@toon_amy

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #3281 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:41:54 PM »

oookay...

You don't have to get carried away. No one is asking you to do that.

But I do know that Shepherd interfered...why should you believe me? You don't have to. I am not going to try to convince you. But I know. And if you did some research, so would you.

As for Ashley, I have no proof either, sorry to dissapoint, but think about it and just be calm. IF we need to fear, we will know. There is no such reason yet.
i know what robson said about gary speeds transfer etc however ,when he says "it was all my decision" then "it was him,nowt to do with me" i'll remain circumspect until i have more definite evidence.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline NE5

• General Member
  • In Zumba Bumba Land
« Reply #3282 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:42:52 PM »
No proof I see. I'm pleased you adhere to the absurd notion that anyone would be better than Shepherd/the ex board, when only 4 other boards/chairman have done better over the last 10-15 years, in terms of league positions, and qualifying for europe. Did you also want to swap them for one of the other 88 clubs boards and chairman when we reached the Champions League and reached the FA Cup Finals ? I take it you think we would be better off with Bob Murray, Mohammed Al Fayed, the new man city owner, the owners of Birmingham, hearts, Leeds.......etc etc ........ need I go on ?

I will remind you, you are saying we are better off without Shepherd, ie anyone but Fred.

Ludicrous.

These are solid facts BTW, while yours is simply an opinion.

Nope, I've read your post 3 times, and I don't see any solid facts.

I suggest you read it again. Unless you are saying we actually didn't reach 2 FA Cup Finals, and play in the Champions League  mackems.gif
http://z3.invisionfree.com/NUFCforum/index.php?

"He wants what we want and goes to the games for the same reason as we do, he wants us to win for the pleasure that brings.  He wants to build the club up and put everything in place to make sure we can maintain a high position once we reach it." - mick [aka Stephensons Rocket], aug 10th 2008

"I think Keegan would be a daft option, he's been here and done the best he could." - mick, 6th March 2006

"Ashley will do something Shepherd has never ever done, he'll spend HIS own personal money on players as the club will be his." - mick 7th June 2007

I think we've done well in the last window - mick, 23 Oct 2008

any individual or group resourceful enough to raise the £100 million plus that would be needed today to take over the club is likely also to be intelligent and resourceful enough to make a better fist of it than the current board - ozzie mandiarse 24th Oct 2006

Offline NE5

• General Member
  • In Zumba Bumba Land
« Reply #3283 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:47:11 PM »

No proof I see. I'm pleased you adhere to the absurd notion that anyone would be better than Shepherd/the ex board, when only 4 other boards/chairman have done better over the last 10-15 years, in terms of league positions, and qualifying for europe. Did you also want to swap them for one of the other 88 clubs boards and chairman when we reached the Champions League and reached the FA Cup Finals ? I take it you think we would be better off with Bob Murray, Mohammed Al Fayed, the new man city owner, the owners of Birmingham, hearts, Leeds.......etc etc ........ need I go on ?

I will remind you, you are saying we are better off without Shepherd, ie anyone but Fred.

Ludicrous.

These are solid facts BTW, while yours is simply an opinion.

League position, the thing that Doug Ellis did better than Shepherd while the two were chairman at the same time, excellent.

This is also a solid fact by the way.

But your hero Ellis took his club from european champions to 6th in England. Thats what I call "going backwards". Its also one place below us BTW, who "went forwards" during the time of Hall and Shepherd.

solid fact

You're still a joke.

Surprised you aren't blaming Shepherd for the floods in Sheffield BTW  mackems.gif Speaking of Sheffield, they have "gone backwards" too - would you swap their chairman of the last decade for Shepherd  mackems.gif

You would, wouldn't you - along with all the others I've mentioned ie anyone but Fred  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"He wants what we want and goes to the games for the same reason as we do, he wants us to win for the pleasure that brings.  He wants to build the club up and put everything in place to make sure we can maintain a high position once we reach it." - mick [aka Stephensons Rocket], aug 10th 2008

"I think Keegan would be a daft option, he's been here and done the best he could." - mick, 6th March 2006

"Ashley will do something Shepherd has never ever done, he'll spend HIS own personal money on players as the club will be his." - mick 7th June 2007

any individual or group resourceful enough to raise the £100 million plus that would be needed today to take over the club is likely also to be intelligent and resourceful enough to make a better fist of it than the current board - ozzie mandiarse 24th Oct 2006

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #3284 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:47:39 PM »
:blush:

Offline Mr Logic

• Lord of the pikeys
  • General Member
« Reply #3285 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:47:43 PM »
I don't understand what people expect Ashley and his crew to say. And frankly I'd rather have silence than Shepherd boasting about our spending-power, promising stuff he isn't going to deliver, or dissing the supporters. When did he ever give us a straight answer about finances and intentions?

We obviously just have to wait and see. I'm sure Ashley doesn't intend to get us relegated. I'm sure he's intelligent enough to see that success means success on the pitch, and is prepared to spend whatever is necessary/possible.

The question is not his intentions, but his competence in running the club. We shouldn't be expecting instant solutions, and only time will tell. In the short-term I'd expect cashflow to have a less constraining effect on our activities.

:clap:

Couldn't agree more.

Yup, thought that was a pretty spot on post myself.
A life spent in fear is a life half lived.

Offline Mick

• General Member
« Reply #3286 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:50:25 PM »
i know what robson said about gary speeds transfer etc however ,when he says "it was all my decision" then "it was him,nowt to do with me" i'll remain circumspect until i have more definite evidence.

Dyer didn't refuse to play against Boro then, because that's what Bobby said afterwards.

And if Robson was lying about the things he said about the transfers, why has nobody come out and denied it?  Robson went into great detail about timings and what was said to Speed and when it was said.  I'm sure Gary Speed read the book, I'm sure most of our players and staff read it to see what was said about them, not a single person has questioned it, at least nobody in a position to do so.

Offline NE5

• General Member
  • In Zumba Bumba Land
« Reply #3287 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:52:05 PM »
only 4 other boards/chairman have done better over the last 10-15 years, in terms of league positions, and qualifying for europe.

Your "facts" are strangely warped by the fact that Shepherd has been Chairman for 10 years, not 15, but you know that though ... don't you?

but as I said... no SOLID facts.

You appear to be of the same mindset as MICK, who rather stupidly thinks that the major shareholder of a company worth meg millions of pounds, is happy for someone else to sit in the main seat and be completely responsible for the major decisions that determine the direction and success of the company.

mackems.gif

The SOLID fact, is that, under the time when SHEPHERD was chairman, Newcastle United reached 2 FA Cup Finals, and finished in the top 5 for 3 consecutive seasons for the first time in 50 years.

But don't let this FACT delude you into thinking this is the worst chairman / board that we have had in the last 50 years whatever you do  mackems.gif

And don't go asking the supporters of the 88 clubs who haven't qualified for europe as often as we have - both in the last decade and in the last 15 years - if they consider their board/chairman has had better results on the field than we have done. Another SOLID fact.

Invicta_Toon

« Reply #3288 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:54:31 PM »
I don't understand what people expect Ashley and his crew to say. And frankly I'd rather have silence than Shepherd boasting about our spending-power, promising stuff he isn't going to deliver, or dissing the supporters. When did he ever give us a straight answer about finances and intentions?

We obviously just have to wait and see. I'm sure Ashley doesn't intend to get us relegated. I'm sure he's intelligent enough to see that success means success on the pitch, and is prepared to spend whatever is necessary/possible.

The question is not his intentions, but his competence in running the club. We shouldn't be expecting instant solutions, and only time will tell. In the short-term I'd expect cashflow to have a less constraining effect on our activities.

:clap:

Couldn't agree more.

Yup, thought that was a pretty spot on post myself.

I must have imagined the 'there's money in the bank Sam', and 'shock the football world' stories then, if the club is now silent

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #3289 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:55:05 PM »

Dyer didn't refuse to play against Boro then, because that's what Bobby said afterwards.

And if Robson was lying about the things he said about the transfers, why has nobody come out and denied it?  Robson went into great detail about timings and what was said to Speed and when it was said.  I'm sure Gary Speed read the book, I'm sure most of our players and staff read it to see what was said about them, not a single person has questioned it, at least nobody in a position to do so.
why has nobody denied it,for the same reason nobody has verified it perhaps.
thats my point,he's covered up so much in his time(at england aswell) that it's impossible to work out the truth.

Offline NE5

• General Member
  • In Zumba Bumba Land
« Reply #3290 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:55:53 PM »
How exactly do you KNOW this?

I know, and that's all you need to know.

But no doubt you'll take issue with that, but it's really simple, Shepherd was a cancer. You are always better off to get rid of it.

hope is better than despair.

Boy oh boy.. I was not impressed with Shepherd as our chairman, don´t get me wrong, but saying you KNOW things will get better just because we have a new chairman is nothing short of naive.. A lot of boards have done worse than us under Shepherd, and we've seen or been told nothing of the new owners to base this assumption on. I appreciate that hope is better than despair and the new found optimism will carry us forward a little in the upcoming period, but if there will be no actions to back up the assumptions of people we will be even worse of, because we've just been delisted and are essentially at the mercy of one man whom we know next to nothing about..
Yes, a lot of smaller clubs than us have done worse, with worse boards.

Credit where it is due, John Hall took a   medium sized club nd made it big, but Shepherd was all words and no legacy... he took us backwards again ...

We do not know what Ashley will do, but surely it is obvious that if he has any business sense at all, (which he obviously has - being quite a bit more than a scrap metal merchant) then he will not repeat the mistakes that Shepherd made... surely that should be something to have hope about... if he isn't then we will lynch him... but give him a chance, there is every chance he can succeed.

you have just shown how out of touch and completely clueless you are about Newcastle United Football Club.

Well done.

mackems.gif

Offline NE5

• General Member
  • In Zumba Bumba Land
« Reply #3291 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:57:41 PM »
How exactly do you KNOW this?

I know, and that's all you need to know.

But no doubt you'll take issue with that, but it's really simple, Shepherd was a cancer. You are always better off to get rid of it.

hope is better than despair.

Boy oh boy.. I was not impressed with Shepherd as our chairman, don´t get me wrong, but saying you KNOW things will get better just because we have a new chairman is nothing short of naive.. A lot of boards have done worse than us under Shepherd, and we've seen or been told nothing of the new owners to base this assumption on. I appreciate that hope is better than despair and the new found optimism will carry us forward a little in the upcoming period, but if there will be no actions to back up the assumptions of people we will be even worse of, because we've just been delisted and are essentially at the mercy of one man whom we know next to nothing about..

Far too realistic for some people on here, who clearly still believe in fairies

Offline NE5

• General Member
  • In Zumba Bumba Land
Re: Shepherd 'set to sell' shares to Mike Ashley, but stay-on as chairman.
« Reply #3292 on: Sunday 15 July 2007, 11:58:59 PM »
MICK knows full well that if Allardyce is unsuccessful he will blame Shepherd, but if he is, he will credit Ashley, such is his stupidity and obsession with Shepherd. Which is why he won't reply. And whats more, most other people reading this will also know too.

Allardyce gets the praise if we do well & gets the sack if he fail's. Thats how these things usually work at any normal club.

MICK will blame Shepherd though. And he knows it  :idiot2:

Offline Unbelievable!

• General Member
  • Adopted Geordie
« Reply #3293 on: Monday 16 July 2007, 12:03:42 AM »

I operate a one person Ltd and pay myself dividends. I don´t see why delisting a plc would mean that any profit made needs to stay in the company..?

Actually, I need to edit that to add some more.. A listed company needs to let the LSE know about dividends and the likes. A delisted company doesn´t have any such obligations, so theoretically at least he could take more dividends than the previous shareholders ever did and nobody would know it..

Online ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #3294 on: Monday 16 July 2007, 12:05:17 AM »
Liverpool's fans were bleating on about their new owners as they took a long time to act. Look what happened when they did though. 

The sceptics and critics (if there are any) of the new board need to step back and look at the broader changes in the game and accept that we had to change with them too. It was the right time for the club to move on and in the eyes of one of the most astute decision-makers the club has had for a long time, the right person came along to sell to.

Sir John's role at the club, via his son, has always been that of the majority shareholder. Who knows how the articles of association of the club required managerial decisions to be made? With a small structure like we had and the proximity of the family in the day to day running, i would bet that Sir John had a lot of influence at the club. Douglas certainly did and i cant imagine him thinking too much for himself. I'm sure you could look at it differently but think about how influential his last act for the club was. Who was really in control if Shepherd couldnt stop it being sold?

FC United.

Not sure what you mean by that.  ???

Liverpool were on the verge of their takeover last year, tied it up in feb and have only really just invested big now in Torres. Was all i was trying to say.

That was because of the transfer window surely?

Unless I've missed the point? ??? I've only started reading this page.

Not really missed the point, just saying that Liverpool fans were impatient too and once Spanish season finished etc, they went in big. They had 5 months to plan that though. 

Offline Mick

• General Member
« Reply #3295 on: Monday 16 July 2007, 12:06:52 AM »
thats my point,he's covered up so much in his time(at england aswell) that it's impossible to work out the truth.

The club trying so hard to stop the publication of the book then doing nothing to deny the contents should get people thinking, Bobby had to wait for something like 2 years to have his contract paid up while the club tried time after time to tie in the pay-off with the book yet Souness was paid up without question, think about it.

Offline Lazy

• General Member
« Reply #3296 on: Monday 16 July 2007, 12:12:27 AM »
While you're right about Shepherd doing a lot of good for the club; he also made some massive mistakes - mistakes that even the most inexperienced of chairmen would not make.

If I seen him on the street I would thank him for all of the good times he brought us, but at the same time I'm really happy we have someone new, someone with more money and a good sense for business.

People shouldn't really be worried about our boards silence or even the transfers we have made so far. As someone previously said, I'd much rather have a board that only talk when they need to, rather than having someone talk rubbish to keep us happy, and as for the transfer thing, we're doing a lot better than we were this time last year, that's for sure - there's plenty of time left too!

"Big, strong, quick and can play, 1.8million at 23... That aint bad" - Alan Hanson on Moussa Sissoko

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #3297 on: Monday 16 July 2007, 12:13:02 AM »

The club trying so hard to stop the publication of the book then doing nothing to deny the contents should get people thinking, Bobby had to wait for something like 2 years to have his contract paid up while the club tried time after time to tie in the pay-off with the book yet Souness was paid up without question, think about it.
the club could have tried to stop publication for many reasons,are you saying it is 100% true and accurate because of that.

souness may have been paid up in full after having learned the lesson of haggling over robsons contract.

Offline Mick

• General Member
« Reply #3298 on: Monday 16 July 2007, 12:18:17 AM »
the club could have tried to stop publication for many reasons,are you saying it is 100% true and accurate because of that.

souness may have been paid up in full after having learned the lesson of haggling over robsons contract.

No I'm not saying that the book is 100% true and accurate, I am saying that the club obviously felt that Bobby has something that wouldn't look good for them so tried to block the publication, if not why bother?

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #3299 on: Monday 16 July 2007, 12:18:59 AM »

No I'm not saying that the book is 100% true and accurate, I am saying that the club obviously felt that Bobby has something that wouldn't look good for them so tried to block the publication, if not why bother?
so it could be anything that was in the book ?