Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 938864 times)

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
Re: Facebook
« Reply #15575 on: Tuesday 12 February 2019, 11:39:30 AM »
Yeah only reason I still have it is the building I live in has a neighborhood watch/ help board but thinking of just creating s new account for that.
Bearings Straight!

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #15576 on: Tuesday 12 February 2019, 11:41:11 AM »
Other than Messanger (which I think you can still use if you disable your count?) I don't use it anymore.

Had enough of seeing the like of Sandra sharing a post from a page called British @irways, which was just set up, giving away a free holiday because someone didn't claim it last time they did a competition. Sandra should stick to spending her free £50 ASDA voucher that also definitely isn't a scam.

Should be good for the fallout following Brexit though.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #15577 on: Tuesday 12 February 2019, 11:42:49 AM »
I just keep it for gig announcements

« Reply #15578 on: Tuesday 12 February 2019, 12:36:42 PM »
I have it and it opens but beyond posting random music or s*** crack statuses it's pretty much just there doing f*** all. I don't upload photos, unless it's linked to an instagrtam post which I do fairly infrequently. I get to see updates from friends I wouldn't otherwise. Pictures of my mates and their kids etc, so I get some info from it. As a tool for my use though I don't do it.
Biggest argument for me deleting it is to stop my gf whining on about me never liking any of her posts, or seeing the s*** she sets up/spams on facebook, or not having enough pics of me and her on etc etc. She's 33.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #15579 on: Tuesday 12 February 2019, 12:38:47 PM »
I have it and it opens but beyond posting random music or s*** crack statuses it's pretty much just there doing f*** all. I don't upload photos, unless it's linked to an instagrtam post which I do fairly infrequently. I get to see updates from friends I wouldn't otherwise. Pictures of my mates and their kids etc, so I get some info from it. As a tool for my use though I don't do it.
Biggest argument for me deleting it is to stop my gf whining on about me never liking any of her posts, or seeing the s*** she sets up/spams on facebook, or not having enough pics of me and her on etc etc. She's 33.

:lol::lol:

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • The greatest show on Darth
« Reply #15580 on: Tuesday 12 February 2019, 01:04:00 PM »

End it.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #15581 on: Tuesday 12 February 2019, 02:43:28 PM »

End it.
mold
If only they'd broken the f***ing mold when they made her, eh?

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #15582 on: Tuesday 12 February 2019, 04:07:25 PM »
:lol: Finished with a lass last year after she started getting the hump about me not putting anything about us on there (I'd not posted anything in years).
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #15583 on: Tuesday 12 February 2019, 04:54:07 PM »
It’s weird how many grown adults (particularly women) give a s*** about keeping up appearances on social media like. The irony is, the people who post the least/don’t have accounts are those generally who have the most interesting lives.

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #15584 on: Tuesday 12 February 2019, 04:59:48 PM »
It’s weird how many grown adults (particularly women) give a s*** about keeping up appearances on social media like. The irony is, the people who post the least/don’t have accounts are those generally who have the most interesting lives.

I'm massively interested about Sandra checking in at her "big comfy bed x" every night, personally.
Consider winning

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #15585 on: Tuesday 12 February 2019, 07:18:21 PM »
It's just another source for women to get gossip from.

I remember one time where I used to work, a colleague suddenly fell ill and died. So of course it was the topic of discussion when the women were having their mother's meeting when making a cuppa. I overheard one of them asking if they knew whether or not the colleague had kids. No one knew so she rang someone else in the office to ask if they were friends on Facebook so she could find out. Turns out she did have kids so of course that got passed on in the next round of gossip. By the end of the day I knew the colleagues sort code, national insurance number and how they took their steak.

Offline reefatoon

• General Member
« Reply #15586 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 05:27:54 AM »
It’s when you get a couple who only seem to communicate with each other through it. “Having a great night out on the p*ss” picture of them in some pub, then they proceed to comment to each other about it like a right pair of weird f***ers. Obviously it’s a s*** night if you are both there on your phones commenting back and forth you f***ing whoppers.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #15587 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 11:56:03 AM »
:lol: Finished with a lass last year after she started getting the hump about me not putting anything about us on there (I'd not posted anything in years).

This was mainly why I got rid of it.  Constant moans about not acknowledging something or other, or her having ridiculous fights with my mates on my statuses.  Was embarrassing as f***.  Been 6 years without it and haven't thought twice about it after the initial month or so.  In saying that, I've still not fully deleted the account (I'm right to assume you can?), and is only sitting deactivated, but I think it's the process I can't be arsed with rather than any lingering desire to return.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline Decky

• General Member
  • ashleyout.com
« Reply #15588 on: Thursday 14 February 2019, 07:43:15 AM »
I dont think you could always permanently delete it but you can now yeah.

I'm off it a couple of weeks now. I think I'll just stay off it because its a load of s****.
Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #15589 on: Thursday 14 February 2019, 07:45:37 AM »
:thup: Think I'm gonna do it soon. I have parents in New Zealand so I like for them to keep up with what I'm doing but I never post anything any more anyway...
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #15590 on: Thursday 14 February 2019, 07:53:59 AM »
Aye I'd keep it for today.

It's normally good for "Boy did gud xoxox" posts after 364 days of them breaking up every other week. Indirect posts about their boyfriend and that Munroe quote.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #15591 on: Thursday 14 February 2019, 08:39:13 AM »
Deleted mine at Christmas time. Can't say I've missed it at all - only for businesses that only have FB pages. But yeah it is s****. Binned Instagram as well for that matter. I have twitter which I just use to follow sports news and comedians.

Offline Hhtoon

• General Member
« Reply #15592 on: Thursday 14 February 2019, 12:31:47 PM »
I set up a new account for joining groups/looking for businesses and deactivated my old one.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #15593 on: Thursday 14 February 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
I mean I could also be tempted to bin twitter too. Not so much for the vitriol, but for the sheer number of people who have like a 'work profile' which are utterly boring and full of self-promotion. Also sick of stupid taglines as well, either the ones that try to be snappy/witty and then the otherswho need to tell you their exact job title and then have to put 'all views my own', or 'retweets are not endorsements'. Honestly, why f***ing bother?

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #15594 on: Thursday 14 February 2019, 01:36:01 PM »
What's the process for deleting it then?  Do I need to sign back in, I take it?  That in itself puts me off. 

Agree about Twitter.  I actually think it's worse than FB in terms of creating a distorted reality.  It's simpler for information though, it's a straightforward idea that allows information to come and go and I'd miss that.  FB doesn't have any idea what it wants to be.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #15595 on: Thursday 14 February 2019, 01:48:50 PM »
I mean I could also be tempted to bin twitter too. Not so much for the vitriol, but for the sheer number of people who have like a 'work profile' which are utterly boring and full of self-promotion. Also sick of stupid taglines as well, either the ones that try to be snappy/witty and then the otherswho need to tell you their exact job title and then have to put 'all views my own', or 'retweets are not endorsements'. Honestly, why f***ing bother?

That all sounds like LinkedIn sort of stuff. It's by far the worst of all the social medias.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #15596 on: Thursday 14 February 2019, 02:10:39 PM »
What's the process for deleting it then?  Do I need to sign back in, I take it?  That in itself puts me off. 

Agree about Twitter.  I actually think it's worse than FB in terms of creating a distorted reality.  It's simpler for information though, it's a straightforward idea that allows information to come and go and I'd miss that.  FB doesn't have any idea what it wants to be.

As I remember you go to a specific account deletion page, but you should download your data beforehand - I had a lot of photos on there that were only on my facebook profile. Also you can select whether you want to download all data (Including statuses, group memberships, pages you've liked, friends you've had/deleted etc. and I think message history) or select just photos etc. I just downloaded photos because the rest of it was s**** basically. Then you go to the permanent account deletion page (not easy to find) and delete. You then have around a month where you can log back in and stop it, but then after that, you're gone. Here is a link - https://deletefacebook.com

Yeah I think twitter is keeping me for sports news and basically being able to find out what is going on, anywhere really quickly. But it is full of absolutely boring twonks, who are actually worse than the angry folk.

Offline alijmitchell

• General Member
« Reply #15597 on: Thursday 14 February 2019, 02:12:26 PM »

That all sounds like LinkedIn sort of stuff. It's by far the worst of all the social medias.

Thankfully I don't do linked in. I'm not sure that in my profession it will ever be needed. I'm getting started on research gate which is good for academic papers, but Linkedin sounds like it's full of Barry Homeowners

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #15598 on: Thursday 14 February 2019, 02:25:53 PM »

Thankfully I don't do linked in. I'm not sure that in my profession it will ever be needed. I'm getting started on research gate which is good for academic papers, but Linkedin sounds like it's full of Barry Homeowners

It's not just that it's full of people like that, it's full of people pretending to be like that. People you can talk to face to face and they'll tell you how s*** their job is and how much they hate it, then you see them on LinkedIn telling everyone the complete opposite.

« Reply #15599 on: Friday 15 February 2019, 11:42:44 AM »
I quit facebook about two years ago and for the most part I don't miss it. I do however feel like I've missed out on a lot of things that have happened to friends I don't see everyday. I don't have a clue when birthdays and anniversaries are so I miss all of that. A good example is I found out some friends who moved to York had a kid a few months ago, I didn't have a clue, and we used to be really close when they were in toon. So that was a bit awkward. Also a lot of smaller businesses only seem to have pages on FB, it's a bit of a pain in the arse to find menus, and happenings around town without an account.

Basically I'm considering going back  :lol: