Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 571356 times)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
Re: The photo thread
« Reply #10650 on: Tuesday 5 February 2019, 11:49:58 AM »
It can get to be an expensive business - but I find if you stick with single-lens systems that shoot in raw, it keeps something of a lid on things :)

The absolute top of the tree number one rule in photography is: don't buy new stuff unless you know exactly why you need it and why your existing gear won't do the job.  Pushing an RX100 to its limits will let anybody know whether or not they enjoy photography enough to spend more money on more expensive systems - the only things it really can't do are long-distance work, genuine ultraclose macro and very thin depth of field for classic portraiture or other extreme focus effects.  Almost every other use you could possibly have - landscape, travel, street, astro, whatever - it'll have a really good go at.  Even looking at an individual pixel level, you'd be surprised how little difference there is between an RX100's files and the ones that come from cameras ten times as expensive.

I change cameras all the time, but there's always a reason for it and it's generally related to my shooting habits at the time.  When I'm in the mood for street, I always use big sensored cameras with a single fixed prime lens.  When I'm in the mood for travel and landscape, I change to a smaller sensor camera with a more versatile lens.  I should really just keep one FZ1000/RX10 and one Ricoh GR/Fuji X100 but I hate having more than one camera in the house, because I only ever carry one at a time and if I had both I would always be pining for the one I didn't bring, whatever the situation :)

Offline sbnufc

• General Member
« Reply #10651 on: Tuesday 5 February 2019, 11:19:59 PM »
Probably s****, but I like them :thup:

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #10652 on: Thursday 7 February 2019, 01:46:56 PM »

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10653 on: Thursday 7 February 2019, 07:11:25 PM »
Lindisfarne

Love it! Great composition.

Aye, that's bang on - as always :)

Here's another from Blyth beach, I could spend the whole day there taking pics.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10654 on: Thursday 7 February 2019, 07:19:53 PM »
Cheers both.  Went through a lot of car drama to get over to Holy Island early on a bitterly cold morning but I got some nice shots.  I was really happy with that one, although I couldn't get a colour cast that was as deep as the reality that my household colour-seers said was realistic.
I love the way that what appears to be a dress (it's a coat) blows in the wind, though. It's one of my favourite pictures I've ever taken; I was actually muttering away to myself in joy as I took the series because I knew how it'd come out, although of course I had to force the silhouette and the light and shadow areas are not anything like reality, that wall being pointed away from the sun as it is :lol: @open_cs on Instagram for more, if you're interested :)

And that's lovely wibble; I always approve of a well taken seascape with a stopped, 1/500th of a sea rather than a smoothed out 20 second exposure. You can hear the surf in your shot, I love that :) Did you have to darken the sky or did it really look like that?

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #10655 on: Thursday 7 February 2019, 07:35:47 PM »
A rare day of sunlight in Belarus today. Tried to make the most of it by making some photos. All Fuji x100s (feat. Wolverhampton Wanderers' Belarusian fanbase). Really pleased with some of these images.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10656 on: Thursday 7 February 2019, 07:45:45 PM »
Aye, really nice :) stuff like that is what the X100 series was made for imo (well, it's what I used it for anyway), although the way that people look straight at it is what I could never get away with :)

Is the Wolves fan actually Ernest Borgnine?

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10657 on: Thursday 7 February 2019, 07:47:43 PM »
And I like yours too sbnufc, particularly that first one :thup:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10658 on: Saturday 9 February 2019, 08:37:51 AM »
This is at the risk of destroying the illusion that i see amazing sights that other people just don't notice :lol: 

Haven't done this for a while, so particularly for the benefit of Varadi and his lass, this is the benefit of shooting in raw instead of jpg, and processing in Lightroom.  Amazingly powerful piece of kit once you get the hang of it.  People will always accuse you of "cheating".  f*** 'em :lol:

It was a fairly ordinary snapshot to start with.  It was purposefully underexposed (the people and the castle are too dark) because I knew how I wanted the picture to come out and my intention was to retain the limited detail there was in the sky and have almost everything else a silhouette.

The important stages are these

(i) getting a crop right.  I'm not so concerned about the wall and the castle on the right which I want to be imposing, but I want a sense of the raised bit of ground the people are standing on, and I'm trying to get the people as close as I can to the cross marking the bottom-left square on the rule of thirds grid.

(ii) getting the exposure right.  White balance set to "shade" always makes the image warmer, and I always push the contrast and in scenes which feature a lot of detail I'd usually push clarity as well.  There's nothing here to clarify.

(iii) removing the details.  The seagull doesn't help, and is removed with the Spot Removal tool.  The foreground detail doesn't add to the picture at all, so I want it all to be a silhouette instead.  A combination of the adjustment brush over the area I want to get rid of, and a judicious dragging down the Shadow and Dark sliders, gets rid of almost all the fine detail in the image and it's instantly less of an over-busy snapshot and looks like a more evocative impression of a scene.  Pulling down the Highlights a little bit brings a tiny bit more detail out in the sky.  I also use the colour adjustment here to boost the reds and oranges in the sky a little bit to make it slightly warmer again.

(iv) bring out the castle.  An adjustment brush set to lighten the exposure rather than darken it gives the impression of the sun coming up onto the castle wall and emphasizes what would otherwise have possibly just looked like a cliff face at first glance.  It adds a bit of interest to the environment.  It also makes the picture completely false to anyone who knows Holy Island, who'll know that for the sun to do that it'd have to be rising in the North.  This does not matter; this image is all about the final picture, not representing the truth of things :)

(v) Boost the sharpness and add a slight vignette to darken the corners and draw the eye to the centre, and a final bit of unnecessary foreground detail removed.

So aye, cheating: but cheating the same way that people have in darkrooms (hence the name) for years.  I don't mind :)
« Last Edit: Saturday 9 February 2019, 09:42:33 AM by OpenC »

• General Member
« Reply #10659 on: Saturday 9 February 2019, 11:31:45 AM »

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #10660 on: Saturday 9 February 2019, 11:37:05 AM »
This is at the risk of destroying the illusion that i see amazing sights that other people just don't notice :lol: 

Haven't done this for a while, so particularly for the benefit of Varadi and his lass, this is the benefit of shooting in raw instead of jpg, and processing in Lightroom.  Amazingly powerful piece of kit once you get the hang of it.  People will always accuse you of "cheating".  f*** 'em :lol:

It was a fairly ordinary snapshot to start with.  It was purposefully underexposed (the people and the castle are too dark) because I knew how I wanted the picture to come out and my intention was to retain the limited detail there was in the sky and have almost everything else a silhouette.

The important stages are these

(i) getting a crop right.  I'm not so concerned about the wall and the castle on the right which I want to be imposing, but I want a sense of the raised bit of ground the people are standing on, and I'm trying to get the people as close as I can to the cross marking the bottom-left square on the rule of thirds grid.

(ii) getting the exposure right.  White balance set to "shade" always makes the image warmer, and I always push the contrast and in scenes which feature a lot of detail I'd usually push clarity as well.  There's nothing here to clarify.

(iii) removing the details.  The seagull doesn't help, and is removed with the Spot Removal tool.  The foreground detail doesn't add to the picture at all, so I want it all to be a silhouette instead.  A combination of the adjustment brush over the area I want to get rid of, and a judicious dragging down the Shadow and Dark sliders, gets rid of almost all the fine detail in the image and it's instantly less of an over-busy snapshot and looks like a more evocative impression of a scene.  Pulling down the Highlights a little bit brings a tiny bit more detail out in the sky.  I also use the colour adjustment here to boost the reds and oranges in the sky a little bit to make it slightly warmer again.

(iv) bring out the castle.  An adjustment brush set to lighten the exposure rather than darken it gives the impression of the sun coming up onto the castle wall and emphasizes what would otherwise have possibly just looked like a cliff face at first glance.  It adds a bit of interest to the environment.  It also makes the picture completely false to anyone who knows Holy Island, who'll know that for the sun to do that it'd have to be rising in the North.  This does not matter; this image is all about the final picture, not representing the truth of things :)

(v) Boost the sharpness and add a slight vignette to darken the corners and draw the eye to the centre, and a final bit of unnecessary foreground detail removed.

So aye, cheating: but cheating the same way that people have in darkrooms (hence the name) for years.  I don't mind :)

:thup: Will definitely pass that on.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10661 on: Saturday 9 February 2019, 06:25:52 PM »

Took about one and a half thousand today.  Just a couple

• General Member
« Reply #10662 on: Sunday 10 February 2019, 06:34:42 PM »

• General Member
« Reply #10663 on: Sunday 10 February 2019, 08:08:41 PM »

• General Member
« Reply #10664 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 10:25:31 AM »
I've been experimenting with some new styles of working in my downtime away in Russia/Belarus. Been looking at lots of Soviet era art where constructivism was popular and used at times as Stalinist propaganda. Here's one of my attempts at an abstract constructivist photo montage thinking about distortion of space, scale, viewpoint and perspective in a dynamic sense.

• General Member
« Reply #10665 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 12:34:34 PM »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10666 on: Sunday 17 February 2019, 03:11:45 PM »
Random spot on commute to work, Newcastle and Cheviot, last couple of days.  B&W girl saw herself on insta and asked for a copy :)  All FZ1000, which is rapidly replacing Sony's RX10 in my affections.  It handles almost as well as a Ricoh GR when you get used to it - the dials for AF/MF, drive mode and custom settings mean only three easy and quick touches to switch between highest quality manual mode and ultrastealthy prefocused street mode with auto ISO - and the electronic shutter means that it's actually a good deal more discrete than the X100S/GR because it makes literally no sound and you can't see the aperture closing as you could on the others (this is particularly an issue on the Fuji and I ultimately realised that nobody who was looking at the camera, which everybody does, was going to be fooled because the colour of the lens surround and aperture blades is such that you can't miss it flicking open and closed).

Offline sbnufc

• General Member
« Reply #10667 on: Sunday 17 February 2019, 09:00:38 PM »
Always wondered how you (people in general) go about getting the shot like the 2 people walking under the bridge.  Like do you tell them? Ignore them and take their pic? Take it on the sly? :lol:

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #10668 on: Sunday 17 February 2019, 09:03:41 PM »
Some class shots in that salvo

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10669 on: Sunday 17 February 2019, 10:35:00 PM »
Always wondered how you (people in general) go about getting the shot like the 2 people walking under the bridge.  Like do you tell them? Ignore them and take their pic? Take it on the sly? :lol:

A bit of 2 and 3.  Usually I'll adopt a crouched Serious Photographer Fiddling With Settings pose and simply hold it after folk have passed, the implication being that it wasn't them I was after but something behind them.  Asking permission ruins a street shot, you don't want models. I've done it occasionally but I prefer people looking natural like that.

The people in the Cheviots had to be sneaked, though; tricks like that don't work when you're the only other person in five miles :)

Cheers Beren :)

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Telling it how it isn't
« Reply #10670 on: Sunday 17 February 2019, 10:41:28 PM »
I found that if you look like you know what you're doing, then people generally ignore you. I've done several drills of taking closeups around crowded places like the Eiffel Tower, and people paid me no bother.

Only time I got confronted was around the exercise stairs in Santa Monica many years back. Some lady with cottage cheese legs took exception to us filming her.
Not one of the cool kids, and really insecure about it.

• General Member
« Reply #10671 on: Monday 18 February 2019, 08:02:18 AM »
Some beautiful images there, OC.

Visited this building yesterday in Minsk, absolutely in love with it and made this photo which I'm so pleased with. Photoshopped some annoying lamp posts out of the foreground which ruined the majestic symmetry of it.

• General Member
« Reply #10672 on: Monday 18 February 2019, 08:12:54 AM »
Also went to visit the incredible and moving Island of Tears, a memorial dedicated to Soviet soldiers who died in Afghanistan. The most impressive and beautiful memorial I've ever seen for certain.

And the concrete monolith that is the Soviet Modernist 'House of Fashion'. Brilliant.

And some bloke on the bus for good measure.

• General Member
« Reply #10673 on: Monday 18 February 2019, 09:34:19 AM »
And a few random street photos etc. from around Minsk.

Offline sbnufc

• General Member
« Reply #10674 on: Monday 18 February 2019, 01:51:56 PM »

A bit of 2 and 3.  Usually I'll adopt a crouched Serious Photographer Fiddling With Settings pose and simply hold it after folk have passed, the implication being that it wasn't them I was after but something behind them.  Asking permission ruins a street shot, you don't want models. I've done it occasionally but I prefer people looking natural like that.

The people in the Cheviots had to be sneaked, though; tricks like that don't work when you're the only other person in five miles :)

Cheers Beren :)
Interesting :thup: