Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 619415 times)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
Re: The photo thread
« Reply #11850 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 07:24:24 PM »
Nice :thup: love that stretch of coast (as you'll know, if you read the thread). Where did you start and how far along did you go?

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #11851 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 07:33:03 PM »
Nice :thup: love that stretch of coast (as you'll know, if you read the thread). Where did you start and how far along did you go?

Newton to Craster is probably my favourite bit of the coast. Pretty much has a microcosm of everything the wider stretch has.

Just from Craster car park up to the start of the sand on Embleton Bay and back today. Barely anyone about either.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11852 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 07:57:09 PM »
Aye, my favourite is parking at Howick and going to the castle and back but it's all spectacular. On the right sort of day, at high tide with the waves pounding the rocks and the castle in front of you, I'm not convinced that there's a better stretch of coast anywhere in the world tbh. I didn't realise it until I was in my 40s but we're insanely lucky to live where we do.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #11853 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 08:09:58 PM »
Aye, it really is stunning in places and even moreso on days like today. Had a lush week off just stopping local this week, Rothbury Monday, Hadrians Wall Wednesday and then Alnwick and the coast today. Like you say sometimes you don’t appreciate it like you should.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11854 on: Sunday 15 November 2020, 05:14:15 PM »
Spectacular conditions in Amble today but I spent all my time there talking to an old lad about Northumberland and Scotland and cameras.  Oh, and a fake as f*** looking old building near Hepburn.  No idea why it looks as fake as it does, got a Technicolor feel to it :lol:  Can imagine Kirk Douglas running onto the scene.

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #11855 on: Sunday 15 November 2020, 05:25:36 PM »
That third one is stunning, the sea looks like a living thing, so much movement.
Bearings Straight!

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11856 on: Sunday 15 November 2020, 05:34:58 PM »
I had that exact same thought si :thup: was going to just shoot a load of abstracts of the waves but I got talking with this other bloke and neither of us got anything done, really. Complete waste of good conditions and light, but it was good crack

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11857 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 06:19:36 AM »
17-40 f4L has arrived and unfortunately my trusty shoulder bag is just a tiny bit too small to accommodate it, the 6D and the 70-200.  So I'm back in the world of carrying gear on my back for the time being, for the first time in probably a decade (though it means I can also carry the 50mm and probably a couple of others if I want). This is the position that originally drove me from SLRs to smaller form factor gear.

One thing I have noticed is that I have far fewer issues with sensor dust on the 6D than I had with the Fuji stuff. It was literally impossible to keep on top of it with mirrorless and was really getting my down; I've had this 6D for months now with no real problems. Had the occasional bit of crud on the mirror to blow off, but sensor dust issues are minimal to non-existent.

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11858 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 08:38:42 AM »
That's odd.  3-4 years in with my Fuji and - as far as I can tell - I've never had any sensor dust on it.  I rarely change lenses out in the field, mind.  I don't really take long exposures - so possibly wouldn't notice any minor bits of dust that might be lurking.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11859 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 11:33:38 AM »
It drove me mad with the XT1.  Like you say, I was fairly regularly shooting long exposures at f/16 or narrower with big washes of single tones, of course, so I was always susceptible to it.  I'm doing the same with this 6D though, and no real issues so far.  I guess the fact that the sensor (or at least the glass that covers the sensor) is exposed every time you open the chamber is the culprit, but even so I'd expect to see the same issue on a normal SLR - even if the mirror is keeping the sensor covered, you would have thought that it snapping around in the chamber would move the dust onto the sensor eventually.
« Last Edit: Saturday 21 November 2020, 12:02:45 PM by OpenC »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11860 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 03:53:10 PM »
Speaking of which.  One of the best things about longer than usual exposures is that you start to notice movement other than the movement you were originally concentrating on.  I've shot this waterfall loads of times now but was waiting for this time of year since I got a couple last year that weren't up to scratch and I wanted another go at it.

The oil painting swirls are, of course, leaves which are spinning in the pool underneath the falls.  You don't really notice them, but a 30 second exposure brings out the movement beautifully :)

6D with the legendarily "not sharp" 17-40 f4L.  Looks alright to me :)  ISO 800 :anguish: a bit too dark for 10 stop ND, a bit too bright for just ISO 50.  High ISO on the 6D is pretty good, though.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11861 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 04:06:02 PM »
And two more versions, and the girlfriend of the other photographer who was there (apologies for shooting your lass, the lighting was too good to ignore)

« Last Edit: Saturday 21 November 2020, 06:01:09 PM by OpenC »

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #11862 on: Thursday 26 November 2020, 12:04:54 PM »
Question for all you photo guys.

I got a camera ages ago, one of those compact system ones. Sony NEX-5. I have the standard lens and a zoom lens.

Does anybody know stuff about this kind of camera, is it worth using in 2020? Tempted to just ebay it but I thought I would ask. Haven’t really used it since buying it years ago.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11863 on: Thursday 26 November 2020, 03:06:14 PM »
It'll be absolutely fine, I reckon. I used a Canon 5D from 2006 last year, and pbx has just picked one up.

Most of the bells and whistles of the last 20 years have improved your ability to capture the exact moment if you know how to make proper use of the bells and whistles,  but image quality hasn't come on that much.  You could replace the body with one from the new alpha series but the pictures you get won't be hugely different, I'd guess.

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11864 on: Thursday 26 November 2020, 04:13:56 PM »
What C says :thup:

To my knowledge, it's a decent camera. Definitely worth using.

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11865 on: Thursday 26 November 2020, 04:15:05 PM »
Hoping that the forecasted fog turns up the next few days as I'm itching to take the 5D out for a spin.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11866 on: Thursday 26 November 2020, 04:43:09 PM »
Aye, I've just taken another five days off to give the 17-40 a proper spin and was hoping for the same :thup:

I read too many reviews of it and have convinced myself that it's terrible, and soft, and just generally a dog, but realistically all ultrawides have issues with distortion and stretching and I'm going to try to settle down and give it a fair run rather than fire it straight back and replace it with a 24mm 2.8 that costs the same and realistically isn't hugely better at 24mm than this one is :lol:  This is an over-taken shot, but I took it just to see how the lens did with a classic image, handheld in bang average light at its absolute widest (and theoretical worst).  Uploaded full resolution for pixel peeping purposes.

Appalling for an L lens, or pretty good for a £300 lens that covers such a useful range?  It's not fair to compare it to the 70-200 which is sharp as a tack but a completely different beast, but that's what I'm doing :lol:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11867 on: Thursday 26 November 2020, 04:46:08 PM »
Speaking of dogs, it also managed these two at ISO3200, which I thought were decent

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11868 on: Friday 27 November 2020, 07:26:03 PM »
Nah, it's alright, this.  Nice and dramatic :)

First one is a twenty minute exposure for nice streaky clouds.

« Last Edit: Saturday 28 November 2020, 10:57:34 PM by OpenC »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11869 on: Saturday 28 November 2020, 10:57:08 PM »
Who knew there were stone circles in Northumberland?  Stumbled across this completely by chance :lol:

Also a re-do of one from yesterday

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #11870 on: Sunday 29 November 2020, 03:28:11 AM »
Someone get to Lambley and do it justice.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11871 on: Yesterday at 05:29:37 PM »
Went south today for a change.  Cow Green Reservoir and Cauldron Snout.