Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 618862 times)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
Re: The photo thread
« Reply #11800 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 08:07:59 PM »
Fuji shot looks good BTW, though I can't make any judgement on the colour obviously [emoji38] I spent a while deciding whether to get my monitor calibrated properly but ultimately decided that if I couldn't really tell anyway then what i wanted was for my Internet images to look the same as they do on Capture One (or Lightroom at the time) so I didn't get infuriated by mastering them to my satisfaction then seeing them utterly different on here or Instagram.  Good job I never print, it would drive me mad :)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11801 on: Saturday 24 October 2020, 04:42:13 PM »

Offline Wallace

• General Member
« Reply #11802 on: Sunday 25 October 2020, 11:42:55 PM »
I know very little about photography but I really enjoy this thread and find the comments about the photos very informative usually causing me to go back and look at a photo again.  So many wonderful photos and a regular reminder that I need to get out and visit these places again.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11803 on: Monday 26 October 2020, 07:28:01 AM »
I just wish a few more people would hoy some photos up :)  People must be taking great mobile shots all the time, they all count.  On not understanding a lot of the technical chat - I often find a bit of pleasure in listening to things that I don't fully (or even partly) understand.  It's the Radio 4 effect - I used to listen to Gardener's Question Time on a Friday afternoon when I got an early finish from work and all the reserved language was fascinating to me, even though I had no interest whatsoever in what they were actually talking about :lol:

One of these sunrise shots has white balance set to "cloudy", the other more saturated has it set to "shade".  For future sunrise purposes, could somebody tell me which looks better from a colour balance point of view..?

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11804 on: Monday 26 October 2020, 07:40:06 AM »
I'd say the bottom one, the top one seems to lose those subtle purple shades more.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11805 on: Monday 26 October 2020, 07:42:50 AM »
:thup: thanks man, appreciate it.  I see no purple anywhere but I'll take your word for it :lol:  That's the one I went with on instagram, so that's good to know.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11806 on: Monday 26 October 2020, 07:45:08 AM »

I had forgotten how hard it was to get shots like that with an optical viewfinder, by the way.  Would have loved to have had a Fuji body with OVF and histogram overlaid, would have only had to take six or seven instead of the 120 I came back with "just in case"

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11807 on: Monday 26 October 2020, 07:49:48 AM »
Looks like it was an amazing sunrise, can't beat a good sunrise like that when there's hardly anyone around and it's just you and the camera and it just keeps getting better and better.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11808 on: Monday 26 October 2020, 07:57:42 AM »
Too much pressure today, just sensed it getting higher and higher while I was f***ing about with the settings [emoji38] I've forgotten a lot of the basics, been spoiled with WYSIWYG electronic viewfinders.  Should have just whacked it onto spot metering and bracketing but wasn't sufficiently au fait with the menu to get the bracketing, it would have been twenty minutes before I was sorted.

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11809 on: Monday 26 October 2020, 08:08:16 AM »
To be fair the pressure/excitement gets to us all I think. Had one with that autumn tree shot from last week where I stuck the 55-200 on tried to change the aperture quickly and the damn thing wouldn't change with one of the dials like on my wide lens. I checked the switch on the lens was correct, it was a very frustrating 30 seconds until I remembered there was a different smaller ring near the camera that controls it  :lol:

Think it was because the wide lens has the aperture markings on the lens and the tele hasn't which confused me.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11810 on: Monday 26 October 2020, 08:21:37 AM »
Aye, always seemed a strange decision on Fuji's part to have a switch to go between automatic and manual rather than just put it at the end of the dial like they usually do.

They say, I think, it's because with the variable aperture lenses you could have it set to 2.8 when the lens can only actually achieve 4 due to zoom, but I would rather the camera just overrode the 2.8 if it can't manage it, and keep the control system consistent. It's not like there's any physical coupling between the ring and the aperture mechanism.

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11811 on: Monday 26 October 2020, 08:46:05 AM »
Further to my posts about these new Photoshop features, there's a new neutral filter option that lets you take a black and white photo and PS will restore it to colour in one click, so cool.

Might give it a go and scan an old photo or two from my grandma's youth to see what it can do.

From 8:49...

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11812 on: Monday 26 October 2020, 01:10:45 PM »
Aye, always interesting.  Weird when it's applied to videos.  Try giving it one of your own that you've desaturated and see how it gets on :)

High tide at Craster.  It's been a productive day so far.  Had been considering getting another set of filters because ten stops is a bit much when you want a bit of motion like this - well, except the second one which is three and a half minutes and the fifth which is my traditional shutter max 30 seconds.  The camera is good enough to make clean images at ISO 800, though, so I might not need to.  In worse light I could probably get away filter-free, and if I want longer I can just stack exposures (which is what I did with the second, seven 30 second images)

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11813 on: Monday 26 October 2020, 07:26:03 PM »
Awesome shots!  Wish I lived near the coast again :)   Really like what you're doing with the long exposure stuff.

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11814 on: Tuesday 27 October 2020, 09:47:19 PM »

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #11815 on: Wednesday 28 October 2020, 01:31:20 PM »
Further to my posts about these new Photoshop features, there's a new neutral filter option that lets you take a black and white photo and PS will restore it to colour in one click, so cool.

Might give it a go and scan an old photo or two from my grandma's youth to see what it can do.

From 8:49...

Thanks for that.
Typical, I've been 'colourising' old photos as a project for the past 2 months. D'oh!

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11816 on: Wednesday 28 October 2020, 02:12:53 PM »
Liking this firmware update due next week from Fuji.

https://petapixel.com/2020/10/15/next-fuji-x-t3-firmware-update-will-more-than-double-autofocus-speed/

Got to love Fuji for stuff like this :thup: Most manufacturers would make you buy a new camera body for an incremental increase, it's class that when they discover that their existing hardware can do something better, they make it do something better for free.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11817 on: Sunday 1 November 2020, 03:27:15 PM »
First go with an L (70-200 f/4 original non-IS).  Most impressive :thup:

« Last Edit: Sunday 1 November 2020, 05:15:19 PM by OpenC »

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11818 on: Sunday 1 November 2020, 03:32:43 PM »
First go with an L (70-200 f/4 original non-IS).  Most impressive :thup:

I like street shots with a bit of mystery to them like this, really like the composition and aspect ratio too :thup:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11819 on: Sunday 1 November 2020, 03:36:24 PM »
I like street shots with a bit of mystery to them like this, really like the composition and aspect ratio too :thup:

I'll trust you not to have noticed and nobody to tell you that I took out everything inside the gate and replaced it with darkness :shifty:

Cheers man :thup:

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11820 on: Sunday 1 November 2020, 09:31:47 PM »
Here's a photo I got from Barrow Burn a couple of days ago, hope you like it. It's got a bit of a story behind it which ended up with a hospital visit and a serial killer :lol:

It started off badly with Google Maps directions taking us about 30-40 minutes the wrong way ending up in a military road, it should have been a sign but things were about to get worse.

We were enjoying the walk (it's a lovely place) when at roughly mile 3.5 of the 6 my mam fell and hurt herself pretty badly, there was no signal where we were so it was a tense 10 minutes or so when she was in shock but thankfully managed to get to her feet and limp the rest of the way back to the car. Her wrist/arm took the brunt which I guess in the end was a good thing.

Fast forward about 7 hours and she's sat in a waiting room in Durham hospital to get an x-ray when a bloke comes in with the police wearing handcuffs and chains. He ended up in being moved to a room on his own because he "doesn't like women" one of the officers told the nurse. It turned out that was quite the understatement. It was Peter Sutcliffe.

2020 in a nutshell, you go out for a nice walk with family and end up sitting next to the Yorkshire Ripper  :lol: :lol:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11821 on: Sunday 1 November 2020, 09:58:14 PM »
[emoji38] nice picture though, I don't think I've ever got as good a one as that in the area :) I can't quite work out where you are although I flatter myself I know the area like the back of my hand.  I'd say you had left the little valley under Shillhope Law (which may be the puddingy hill on the left) with the burn in it and were climbing up to what used to be the forest on Middle Hill near Whiteburnshank, but I'd expect to see more of a path behind you.

Is your mam alright? Sprain? I've had plenty from falling heavily on my arm, convinced it's been broken more than once.

Offline Vieu

• General Member
« Reply #11822 on: Sunday 1 November 2020, 10:02:41 PM »
the charm of living in a city, which is sandwiched between two mountains.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11823 on: Sunday 1 November 2020, 10:14:34 PM »
Aye, nice that :thup: we don't get so much of that in newcastle, and even if we did there's nowhere accessible to watch it from :(

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11824 on: Sunday 1 November 2020, 10:40:54 PM »
[emoji38] nice picture though, I don't think I've ever got as good a one as that in the area :) I can't quite work out where you are although I flatter myself I know the area like the back of my hand.  I'd say you had left the little valley under Shillhope Law (which may be the puddingy hill on the left) with the burn in it and were climbing up to what used to be the forest on Middle Hill near Whiteburnshank, but I'd expect to see more of a path behind you.

Is your mam alright? Sprain? I've had plenty from falling heavily on my arm, convinced it's been broken more than once.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure it was about where I've highlighted here. It was definitely between #2 and #3 on the ViewRanger map below.
Spoiler
[close]

My mam broke her wrist/arm. Still hasn't got a proper cast on, they put a half one on would you believe and were supposed to ring her back but she's still waiting. Never even gave her any painkillers either. If you ever have a choice of hospitals to go to in future avoid Durham like the plague!