Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 612859 times)

Offline Ikon

• General Member
Re: The photo thread
« Reply #11775 on: Saturday 3 October 2020, 02:32:32 PM »
No idea if there's a video walk through of all the settings for the X-T3, but I did find tons of videos on Youtube for my A7R3. Much easier and more fun to learn basically everything on there instead of reading a manual. Maybe you've already checked just thought I'd mention it in case you haven't thought about it.

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11776 on: Saturday 3 October 2020, 03:01:33 PM »
I never thought of that. I'm through the technical stuff now I think, just a case of setting up the various function buttons but thanks for the suggestion anyway :thup:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11777 on: Saturday 3 October 2020, 07:49:44 PM »
Was definitely not a day for photography.

In other news, it appears to be almost impossible to buy one of those little rubber things that come on Canon SLR straps to put over the viewfinder when doing a long exposure and stop light getting in through the prism and mirror box :anguish: might have to just carry around some gaffer tape for now [emoji38]
« Last Edit: Saturday 3 October 2020, 08:32:33 PM by OpenC »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11778 on: Sunday 4 October 2020, 04:42:53 PM »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11779 on: Wednesday 7 October 2020, 05:18:57 PM »
Alternative view from Chemical Beach

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11780 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 01:48:36 PM »

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11781 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 04:09:28 PM »
I think out of your most recent shots I like these two the most...

Love the light in this one. I've been up there twice I think now and both times I didn't have any luck with the conditions.

Nice light in this one too, it's an unusual composition but I quite like the lines and the way you've composed it :thup:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11782 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 04:14:23 PM »
I'm lucky to be as close to Dunstanburgh as I am, I can see from my house whether it's going to be worth a look down to the coast and it's just half an hour away. The light was spectacular that morning, mist and fret hanging over everything. If you look closely you can see the shadows of the ruined castle projected onto the mist below.

The light was wonderful under the library for the other one too. In retrospect it needs a bit more horizontal width given over to the right hand side to make the horizontal bars longer, but i liked how it came out :)

You had the chance to give the XT a run out yet?

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11783 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 06:44:38 PM »
Not a proper one, no. I've got myself the Iridient X-Transformer program to process the raw files and I've just had a bit of a play with the camera and that today, seems like I will need to spend a few hours getting a variety of shots and run tests to find my preference as there's plenty of options to tinker with.

It definitely does make a noticeable difference.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11784 on: Sunday 11 October 2020, 02:10:40 PM »
No idea about the white balance on the first one here.  It looks to me how I've always imagined that cyan should look. I wish I'd done a few and stacked them to smooth out the sky, though :anguish:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11785 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 03:44:37 PM »

« Last Edit: Saturday 17 October 2020, 05:07:52 PM by OpenC »

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11786 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 09:36:51 AM »
I really like that tree one - it's kind of humanised, with fingers/arms stretching to the ground as it crouches down. 

I've been following Nigel Danson's vids and he's been covering quite a few woodland scenes lately - amazing that there's so much good (free) content like this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkJld-AoXurbT2jDnfM8qiA

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11787 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 09:44:29 AM »
While I'm here, might as well post some pics.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11788 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 01:43:09 PM »

Nice as ever :)  I really like the way you use a non-traditional lens for your landscape work, it gives each picture of sense of subject that the genre often misses (certainly that I often miss when I'm shooting the genre, anyway :lol:)

I'll give that a watch.  I've always struggled with woodland scenes and I wish I was better at it.  That place I posted is genuinely an amazing woodland, but some people can pull spectacular results out of a common and garden wood and it's something I'd like to do better.

Went for a look to St. Abbs today - it was the last place I went to before the lockdown started and I didn't get the chance to have a look along the cliffs to the lighthouse.  Thought I'd give it a go today before we get locked down again :)  It's really nice - like mountaineering without having to climb a mountain, and with a constant element of interest in the sea close at hand.

Still only using the 50mm for the time being.  For the sake of practice, will pick up one new lens in a couple of weeks then do a month with that.  Haven't decided whether to go with the 17-40 f4L first or the 70-200 f4L.  Part of me thinks I've been doing wide and ultrawide stuff for too long and I should go with the challenge of having only a 50mm and a short telephoto, but it is very restrictive - I missed a lot of good shots today which I could have got even with a 35mm.

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11789 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 02:30:44 PM »
I haven't done a lot of shooting for the past few months - usually just take my camera along on long, rambling dog walks, but my bonkers dog snapped his cruciate (ouch).  He's recovering now, but is on really restricted walks.  That's curtailed both his and my exercise quite a bit.

Anyways, much like you and cameras :) I flip-flop around on lenses quite often.  That latest batch is from the Minolta MD 35-70. I really like the lens, much more versatile than my usual 50mm, but it's quite bulky on my teeny little X-T10.  I find it a tad uncomfortable to hold (the grip isn't the greatest on the X-T10), so I've ordered a vertical grip, see if that helps.

Have had my X-T10 since 2016.  Am mulling over whether to get a used Fuji XH-1 - the IBIS would be really welcome, although the camera body looks quite a bit bigger.

Lovely pics, btw, especially the first two.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11790 on: Monday 19 October 2020, 08:13:52 AM »
I personally would always recommend older tech that was top of the line a few years ago over newer but cut down models (says he that just picked up a 6D instead of a 5D mk II or III :rolleyes:), as long as you can live without the latest bells and whistles.  XH1 looked like an absolute beast and reliable IBIS is always a great thing to have but I personally now have serious doubts about the stacked dial design Fuji use on H and T bodies after the issue I had with my last XT1 (the dials bound together so I couldn't change shutter speed without also changing metering, which was pretty crappy - and it was happening on the ISO/drive side as well to a lesser extent, so it wasn't just a one off on that one dial).

I hope your dog gets sorted soon; friend of mine just had the same issue with her cocker spaniel, took about 14 weeks but he's better now apparently :)

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #11791 on: Yesterday at 07:09:36 PM »
First proper shot I've got with the 55-200 on the Fuji, pretty happy with it.

« Last Edit: Today at 11:26:49 AM by pbxtn »