Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 600660 times)

Offline singintheastand

Re: The photo thread
« Reply #11525 on: Wednesday 29 July 2020, 09:18:36 PM »
Lovely photos guys, I still don’t know how to post photos on here but it’ll come.

Had [imgimg] on the last forum I frequented. I’m not very savvy with it all.  :lol:

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #11526 on: Wednesday 29 July 2020, 09:20:31 PM »

Last one is quality, and very unique actually as it looks somewhat directed to an extent but the look on her face ensures she was naturally unaware. Really good.
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11527 on: Wednesday 29 July 2020, 09:35:27 PM »
Lovely photos guys, I still don’t know how to post photos on here but it’ll come.

Had [imgimg] on the last forum I frequented. I’m not very savvy with it all.  [emoji38]
Replace the () brackets here with [ ] brackets and do:

(Img)image.address.here(/img)

That will do you, as long as the host allows linking.

Cheers IC, as you will have established the look on her face is that of most of the bottle of wine at her side having gone, i think. Wasn't brave enough to snap her overtly (it's strange, i don't like to point a camera directly at someone if there's only the two of us there, always feels more intimidating for the subject when there's no crowded street) so took that as I was passing with snap focus. The focus missed but at a small size it's passable. I really liked how it came out too, though I think a lot of the 'directed look (which I see as well) is from the heavy vignette giving it an on set feel.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #11528 on: Wednesday 29 July 2020, 09:38:14 PM »
Yeah, there's also a spotlight effect. Do you use the selective tool where you adjust exposure for the subject, lock that and then underexpose the rest of the image? (in post I mean)
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11529 on: Wednesday 29 July 2020, 09:44:26 PM »
I don't, the only thing I know that does that easily is snapseed. This was just a happy accident of the light, but if I want a more selective vignette I usually just do it with a brush; Capture One feathers beautifully so it's not much of a chore

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11530 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 06:29:37 PM »

For all it's a street camera at heart, the Ricoh has a look of its own when it comes to landscape as well.  I love a camera which will underexpose by default, there aren't many of them around but they see just like I do :)  Nothing fancy here, just a dog walk

Been thinking for a while that filters had become a bit of a crutch for me, I think I might take only this up to Scotland at the end of August for a week and see how it does.  It'll get dusty, no doubt, but I can fix dust :shifty:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11531 on: Saturday 1 August 2020, 06:40:08 PM »
A few from an irritatingly quiet day in town, the one day I happened to be out with IC (I'm happier to have had those couple of pints than been out in the blazing sun to be honest, though).  IC's street chops are strong and I fancy he may have got a couple.

I was in the Little People Big Environments mood

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11532 on: Saturday 1 August 2020, 06:43:37 PM »
Don't think I white balanced that last one. Was difficult all day with sun and shadows and clouds.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #11533 on: Saturday 1 August 2020, 07:11:59 PM »
Faithful to your intentions of 'small people' in larger areas & some nice ones there too... much the opposite for me despite the fact I only got this, it's a pretty interesting sequence of shots, the disgruntled son but the father absolutely loving it  :lol:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11534 on: Saturday 1 August 2020, 07:33:15 PM »
[emoji38] all of those worked out great :thup: son was furious, you dealt with him like a New York street shooter from 1983 :thup:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11535 on: Saturday 1 August 2020, 08:52:05 PM »

Forgot to say IC, the screen refresh rate on the GR would have been very slow in that low light.  It's fairly smooth and easy to use in good light :thup:

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #11536 on: Saturday 1 August 2020, 09:04:17 PM »
Probably seen all 9ft of you coming and thought f*** this  :lol: very rare to get stopped like that in Newcastle though, must be the angsty clouds of Manchester following me home, I’ll shake em off.

Should say as well, cheers for showing the GR properly, thing is f***ing awesome for the type of work in the above post :thup:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11537 on: Saturday 1 August 2020, 09:07:29 PM »
Yeah, that's never happened to me before. To be fair, his dad playing for the camera as he was made it an awkward situation. Good that the fatha told him to stand down.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11538 on: Yesterday at 03:08:37 PM »
One more from yesterday IC, just to demonstrate the benefits of zone (or snap) focusing and knowing your distances, this is the one I took as we were passing the Mile Castle.  It didn't turn out to be an interesting shot (she was making some great faces as we were passing her, but I didn't get them) but the focus was absolutely bang on and all I had to do was know how far away to stand.  And everybody knows two metres these days :lol:

Spoiler for not very interesting image

Spoiler
[close]

And yet, though, and yet.. for all I wax lyrical about those cameras, and for all I love street photography and claim to be bored of landscape, I stuck the X100T in a tiny holster pouch today and climbed Cheviot by the tourist route.  It's one I must have climbed maybe 40 or 50 times over the last couple of decades, maybe more, and it got so I had stopped even taking a camera because I knew there was nothing of value up there.  But I shot all the way up and all the way down just because the Fuji inspires you to (just as yours would, in the right environment).  Haven't checked to see if they're any good yet (I bet they're not as good as they look in the EVF, they never are) but I enjoyed having it and I can't imagine being without it tbh.  You should totally keep yours for travelling IMO, will be an almost peerless companion for what you want to get out of the trips, I would have said :thup:

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:47:16 PM by OpenC »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11539 on: Yesterday at 03:32:09 PM »
Forced myself to shoot at the legendarily weak f/2 on some of these.  Looks alright to me.  The Ricoh would have got something similar to most of these (although 28mm is a bit too wide for the Cheviots which are very expansive and pretty featureless) but it was so windy I wouldn't even have switched it on for fear of The Dust.  I love both cameras, but I'd keep the Fuji as the more versatile choice (despite 35mm being more limiting than I remember).  I'm like IC in that i don't like having two; have got some decisions to make since I'm still in the amazon return period :)

I love the way you can see distant cloudbursts from high up in the mountains, although when you can see as many as there were around today you also know it's not going to be long before one finds you (as they did)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:40:13 PM by OpenC »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11540 on: Yesterday at 07:31:38 PM »

Couple more, first is just a wide version of the post post.  Second has a slight desaturation of O/Y/G like I used to do, just to see how it looks on my phone more than anything else :lol:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11541 on: Yesterday at 07:35:45 PM »
Looks the same but a bit too yellow [emoji38]

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #11542 on: Yesterday at 07:51:53 PM »
One more from yesterday IC, just to demonstrate the benefits of zone (or snap) focusing and knowing your distances, this is the one I took as we were passing the Mile Castle.  It didn't turn out to be an interesting shot (she was making some great faces as we were passing her, but I didn't get them) but the focus was absolutely bang on and all I had to do was know how far away to stand.  And everybody knows two metres these days :lol:

Spoiler for not very interesting image

Spoiler
[close]

And yet, though, and yet.. for all I wax lyrical about those cameras, and for all I love street photography and claim to be bored of landscape, I stuck the X100T in a tiny holster pouch today and climbed Cheviot by the tourist route.  It's one I must have climbed maybe 40 or 50 times over the last couple of decades, maybe more, and it got so I had stopped even taking a camera because I knew there was nothing of value up there.  But I shot all the way up and all the way down just because the Fuji inspires you to (just as yours would, in the right environment).  Haven't checked to see if they're any good yet (I bet they're not as good as they look in the EVF, they never are) but I enjoyed having it and I can't imagine being without it tbh.  You should totally keep yours for travelling IMO, will be an almost peerless companion for what you want to get out of the trips, I would have said :thup:

:thup: Such a stark contrast to one of my shots from the same street relying on autofocus. I should really start to experiment with the manual/zone focusing and take advantage of the fact the lens has the range gauges. I imagine it would feel pretty liberating to become more adept at judging range and thus not actually worrying about focus at all in certain circumstances.

I'll be keeping hold of the Q for a while longer for sure, I do indeed love it, even if partially for the idea of it. The lens is beautiful though, and I've much to explore with it still I'm sure.

Those in the above post are lush btw, particularly the last (to my taste anyway)  :)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11543 on: Yesterday at 08:01:46 PM »
Autofocus is a pain in the arse at the best of times, i don't think it's even worth considering on the street except maybe with a camera on a tripod or fixed somewhere.  Zone is the way for when you're moving, definitely :thup: Doesn't take too long to get your range as long as you're not constantly changing cameras like i do [emoji38]

A lot of great street photographers just used f16 and zone focused to get everything from 2m to infinity acceptably sharp but that tends to look a bit flat and mobile phoney to modern eyes. I prefer a very slight defocus from around 4m to infinity and I also prefer the shutter speeds (I always use 1/1000th) and ISOs you get with f4.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #11544 on: Yesterday at 08:03:42 PM »
@OpenC what is that pick up and shoot camera you have (Sony I think).  Think I may buy one.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11545 on: Yesterday at 08:08:04 PM »
I haven't got one at the minute but I can't say enough good things about the RX100 series. Not a huge amount of zoom on the original models but a very usable range, great aperture and decent sensor size for a truly pocketable camera.  I recommend the mark III for best price/image quality ratio but the original is still a great little camera.

I've said it before and no doubt will again: anybody who's getting into photography will be able to push an RX100 a long, long way before they need anything else.  Won't do long distance sports, won't do formal portraiture with a super-blurred background, won't do long exposure without an attachment (or waiting until it gets dark) but will do a fine job of street, travel, landscape, astrophotography, food, that sort of thing.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #11546 on: Yesterday at 08:14:47 PM »
I haven't got one at the minute but I can't say enough good things about the RX100 series. Not a huge amount of zoom on the original models but a very usable range, great aperture and decent sensor size for a truly pocketable camera.  I recommend the mark III for best price/image quality ratio but the original is still a great little camera.

I've said it before and no doubt will again: anybody who's getting into photography will be able to push an RX100 a long, long way before they need anything else.  Won't do long distance sports, won't do formal portraiture with a super-blurred background, won't do long exposure without an attachment (or waiting until it gets dark) but will do a fine job of street, travel, landscape, astrophotography, food, that sort of thing.

Ahh thanks, I thought you had bought one.

Can get one on Amazon for 459 euros, is that an ok price?

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11547 on: Yesterday at 08:16:42 PM »
For a I or a III?

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #11548 on: Yesterday at 08:17:48 PM »
For a I or a III?

359 euros for mark I or 459 for mark III.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11549 on: Yesterday at 08:23:19 PM »
Nah, wouldn't pay that for an original these days. Still a great camera but that's steep, I bought a mk. I new from Jessops around £250 i think, three or four years ago.

I would always recommend buying preowned from a reputable source myself.. can you get one sent from the UK? MPB, Wex and Camerajungle sell good and excellent quality originals well under £200 and IIIs for around £350 usually.