Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 561028 times)

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
Re: The photo thread
« Reply #11425 on: Sunday 5 May 2019, 10:21:41 pm »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11426 on: Monday 6 May 2019, 10:23:04 pm »
Buachaille Etive Mor in Glencoe this morning.  RX100 III

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #11427 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 06:07:45 am »
:thup: That's a great shot - always love a good reflection on calm water.

You back on the RX100? The wife is loving hers so far, really seems to be getting into working out the different features - I'm no expert but can definitely see the improvement the more time she puts into it.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11428 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 06:12:32 am »
Yeah, picked another one up based largely on what your wife is doing with hers on her Instagram, in fact, so a nice case of passed forward inspiration. I'd forgotten how versatile they are, they're the absolute greatest thing for travelling light.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #11429 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 06:17:03 am »
:lol: Nice one - she'll love that!

She's currently watching loads of tutorials on night photography so think there's a fair few evenings of wandering round after dark in my near future.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11430 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 06:20:59 am »
A cheap tripod is a good investment (or a beanbag to lie it on, that works too, if there are things to put it on). You can get away with cheap ones when the camera is as light as these, although wind can be a problem. Or if you mean more usual photography but in the dark, then aperture priority with EV set to -2 or thereabouts :thup:

If she's doing long exposure, remember to use the self timer on a two second delay so there's no camera shake when the shutter is pressed.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #11431 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 06:28:39 am »
Funny you should say that. we're just off this morning to pick up a new tripod she ordered - got one of these, looks good and lightweight for travelling and the reviews were canny:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GUND8XM?

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #11432 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 07:51:15 am »
I use the EVO-2 version of that tripod for my remote camera behind the goal at the match. Solid enough to carry a Canon 1D with a 16-35mm lens on it.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11433 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 07:24:31 pm »
:lol: Nice one - she'll love that!

She's currently watching loads of tutorials on night photography so think there's a fair few evenings of wandering round after dark in my near future.

She's left that until the wrong time of year, mind :lol:

Couple more from the RX100, just getting reacquainted with it.  It has a tendency to overexpose a bit, and the files take a bit more post work than files from cameras with bigger sensors (not in terms of image quality, more in terms of having to balance the dynamic range), but it literally goes in your pocket ffs :lol: To be honest, both those quirks might be my fault since I switched off the dynamic range optimiser.  Might switch it back on and see what difference it makes; I had visions of it being all HDR grimness, but maybe it isn't.

Not as quick to use as the Ricoh; not as striking an image quality as the Fuji (or particularly the 5D); not as versatile as the Panasonic.  I still love them, though.  Absolutely genius little things :)

• General Member
« Reply #11434 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 07:36:06 pm »
OC, have you ever had the chance to have a go with a Sony NEX6 during your equipment experimentation journey? Not even sure why I'm even looking at it  :lol: Just seen one nice photo made using one and got the new camera tingle  :lol:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11435 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 07:53:41 pm »
No, the only mirrorless ILCs I ever used were Olympus.  Liked them a lot but I realised pretty quickly that in reality a bag of cameras and glass is a bag of cameras and glass and although mirrorless is smaller, it's not really that much smaller than carrying SLRs.

The NEXs were well regarded but I never liked the styling of them so I stuck with Olympus. I think they're now rebranded as A6 and A7s, although I may have made that up.  I think a couple of people on here used them when they were NEXs, though; can't remember who. 

• General Member
« Reply #11436 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 07:59:12 pm »
No, the only mirrorless ILCs I ever used were Olympus.  Liked them a lot but I realised pretty quickly that in reality a bag of cameras and glass is a bag of cameras and glass and although mirrorless is smaller, it's not really that much smaller than carrying SLRs.

The NEXs were well regarded but I never liked the styling of them so I stuck with Olympus. I think they're now rebranded as A6 and A7s, although I may have made that up.  I think a couple of people on here used them when they were NEXs, though; can't remember who.

They are aye, highly popular with filmmaker types. No worries, you know that feeling though, when you see a great photo with "Taken on: 'such and such'" underneath. You rush to research the camera. In reality, it was nothing I couldn't produce with current gear + lightroom, besides I'd probably end up using a similar or identical focal length to my current cameras (both 35mm) so it would be a largely pointless purchase  :)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11437 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 08:04:46 pm »
Aye; I take the exact same pictures irrespective of which camera I use (give or take image quality and depth of field) and I know precisely what you mean, of course :)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11438 on: Saturday 11 May 2019, 02:21:11 pm »
A few from an ascent of Bidean nam Bian in Glencoe which unfortunately deteriorated into rain and snow just as the rock scenery was getting interesting.  Everything here is RX100 III

Bidean nam Bian's 'three sisters' from Glencoe carpark.  Summit of Bidean nam Bian not visible from here.

My ascent route (or most of it; that isn't the summit either).  Random woman for foreground

Clouds starting to lift off Aonach Eagach on the other side of Glencoe.  It's not as high as my mountain so I didn't get my hopes up (for the best)

Rock and Waterfall, two versions

Away from the A82 and into the high corrie above the waterfall from the ascent route picture.  It was still ominously quiet but I could sense snow in the air.

Approaching corrie headwall; clouds beginning to lower and the first flakes started to fall.  Camera away at this point and as quick a dash for the summit as I could manage.

A beast on my sunglasses after the snow stopped

And a few from the drive back along the A82 this morning

Fog

Fog lifting, Laggan

Blackmount

The Rannoch Rowan

Cleared forest and Ben Lawers

The garage at Lochearnhead

I love the combination of sunlight on bright flowers and menacing low skies you get at this time of year

Oh, and of course

• General Member
« Reply #11439 on: Saturday 11 May 2019, 02:31:01 pm »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11440 on: Saturday 11 May 2019, 02:58:18 pm »
Thanks man :) knew I had to take it and thankfully the road was quiet. Feels like an 18th century oil painting to me and as such probably needs a closeup majestic stag/Jacobite soldier on the left to balance the composition, but I like it anyway

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #11441 on: Saturday 11 May 2019, 04:39:53 pm »
:lol: Never a Jacobite soldier around when you need one

Great pics though :thup:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11442 on: Saturday 11 May 2019, 04:42:51 pm »
You can't get moved for the f***ers (and/or pipers) at the usual haunts in the summer when they charge Japanese tourists £5 to stand next to them for selfies :lol:

I've reworked it to take into account the dead space left and top, I think this is a better crop although it changes the wide-open-spaces feel of it

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11443 on: Friday 17 May 2019, 07:06:38 pm »

Tell you what mind, I still love that old 5D as well

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11444 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 02:42:00 pm »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11445 on: Saturday 25 May 2019, 03:58:28 pm »

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #11446 on: Saturday 25 May 2019, 05:41:41 pm »
Where's that second one from? Looks amazing :thup:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11447 on: Saturday 25 May 2019, 07:08:49 pm »
It's just North of Craster, near Dunstanburgh Castle :)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #11448 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 03:04:51 pm »

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #11449 on: Tuesday 28 May 2019, 03:26:04 pm »

Ooh, that's a terrific photo - makes me want to clean the dust off my camera.