Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 587900 times)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
Re: The photo thread
« Reply #10925 on: Wednesday 20 May 2020, 09:30:15 PM »
Yeah, xt1 is a milc so I can get at the sensor. I bought a loupe and brush and I keep it fairly clean but I think I'll drop it in to LCE in Gosforth for a proper wet clean. The dust thing is the one and only black spot (no pun intended) for the fixed lens cameras, since I've had problems with an X100S, a Ricoh GR and I know snoopdawg (our poster, not that one) had problems with an RX100. You get dust in one of those and there's nothing you can do other than commit to cleaning up every narrow aperture shot you ever take, which is ruinous for shots like those.

The blacks come from my habit of knocking back the blue channel in a b&w to give a faux infrared sort of feel. Works better in some shots than others but it's always effective on blue skies and calm water.

Online Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #10926 on: Wednesday 20 May 2020, 09:41:45 PM »
A nice result, similarly to yourself (and when appropriate) cranking the contrast in a b&w image to get those true whites and true blacks in certain parts improves quite a lot of photos. Was a technique of Monet actually, he would oftentimes leave one or two parts of the canvas unpainted and brilliant white to draw the eye in, where as usually the canvas would be covered entirely with some sort of hue at the beginning of a piece of work.

Yeah, I may be lucky as after a certain number of Q's they sealed the sensor better in some way, and issues weren't as widely reported after that point on. Hopefully it's a later model, if not apparently Leica London do take them, clean them, add some protection and rebuild them for around £100 which isn't that bad imo. Luckily mine's coming from a reputable camera dealer so has warranty too. It's by no means inevitable like, I'll be covering the mic and speaker with tape as I won't be using those at all... and as for the macro ring, same goes really. Never took a single macro shot on the x100s. (should hopefully be getting the new camera tomorrow, supposed to be today but obv delivering medicine is more important than me getting express delivery on a f***ing camera  :lol:

On an unrelated note, somebody called me snoop dogg about an hour ago whilst walking on the beach, I figured it's because I had a cigarette, having ruled out my short hair, pale white skin and white boy clothes.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10927 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 03:04:07 PM »

Aye, black and white are so important in a black and white, but so many people don't realise and think that just desaturating is enough :)

Has it come yet?

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #10928 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 03:11:18 PM »
Nah was meant to be here on Wednesday like. Lost in the post...

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10929 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 03:11:54 PM »

:anguish: christ, you can do without that

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #10930 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 03:13:59 PM »
Aye not great, I'm putting it down to the current situation, but that said the tracking number isn't working which suggests they haven't scanned it in transit... seller has been spot on tbf, trying to chase it up etc.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10931 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 03:45:32 PM »
Which courier?  There are a few who have really dodgy tracking systems which routinely go from "we've got your parcel" to "there was a problem checking your parcel" and back again.  The only ones I never seemed to have any problem with are DPD but even they had an hour spell a week or two ago where I'd been given a delivery window and it just disappeared from the system for two or three hours before he came (exactly when he was supposed to); even Royal Mail are clunky these days.

Good luck

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #10932 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 03:56:12 PM »
It's Royal Mail I think, at least that's who the seller is referring to in his messages, however on the order confirmation it says UPS next day... so there's even confusion there (unless Royal Mail work with UPS? Sure that's Parcelforce though).

f*** knows, the fact there's no trace of it anywhere is the concerning part...

Cheers :thup:

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10933 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 06:11:41 PM »
Fingers crossed - the post has been hopeless lately, like

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #10934 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 06:26:22 PM »
Aye, can just hope it's a simple delay. It's coming from Penzance tbf  :lol: The thing is I've been sending out art prints during this lockdown, many of which to the UK and all the ones I've sent out with next day delivery have actually arrived the following day.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #10935 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 09:23:30 PM »
Just seen this posted on Twitter. Great shot.

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10936 on: Sunday 24 May 2020, 04:38:18 PM »
Bounced around a few interesting nearby spots I've not managed to grab any pics from before:

1. Mill just outside of Bakewell

2. Mill just outside of Bakewell

3. Broken tree, Bakewell to Buxton

4. Broken tree, Bakewell to Buxton

5. Broken tree, Bakewell to Buxton

6. Knackered barn, Bakewell to Over Haddon

7. Knackered barn, Bakewell to Over Haddon

8. Knackered barn, Bakewell to Over Haddon

9. Knackered barn, Bakewell to Over Haddon

10. Farm and hills, Bakewell to Over Haddon

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10937 on: Sunday 24 May 2020, 06:40:34 PM »

Aye, very nice again :thup:  Would love to have a go at that ruined barn.

Changing lenses and keeping stuff clean is starting to do my f***ing head in again :anguish:  I really love almost everything about this XT1 but the call of the RX100 for the summer season is strong :lol:  Maybe I'll just keep it and the Samyang 12 for when I need real wide angle, and move on the 23mm and the telephoto.  I only ever use the telephoto at the 50mm end anyway.

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10938 on: Sunday 24 May 2020, 07:39:36 PM »
Cheers.  I have the XT-10, the XT-1's little brother.  I just leave the cheapo kit XC 16-50 lens on it, really flexible, hardly change lenses nowadays.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10939 on: Sunday 24 May 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
That's the one I should have got really, was just seduced by the extra controls of the 1 (which I never really use). I started with the XF 18-55 and it was a wonderful lens but the Fuji high ISO performance is so good the faster aperture doesn't really count for much.

Ordered myself an RX100 III :shifty: will get one of those magnetic filter attachments and an intervalometer and see how it does with super long exposures, since every one I've posted recently could have been done with 24-70 equivalent.  It was brilliant at long exposures in lower light so I guess it'll be fine, and it'll be nice to carry less again in the summer. Always feels a bit daft putting a tiny camera on a tripod but meh :)

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #10940 on: Sunday 24 May 2020, 10:42:07 PM »
You do love those RX100's don't you  :lol:

Which models have you had now?

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10941 on: Monday 25 May 2020, 05:16:02 AM »
Only ever the I and III. But aye, I really do :)

In truth it's probably not so much that I love the RXs as that i hate carrying a bag of camera stuff and the RXs are the best compromise I've discovered. Now I'm back in the outdoors a lot I'm constantly reminded of the dust issue when changing lens and the weight/size issue when I'm out for hours.

Theoretically I can get away with an RX100 III, a 52mm 10 stop filter (it has a built in 3 stop so good range of options with 3, 10 and 13) an intervalometer and a beanbag to take everything I've posted in the last few weeks. I always miss telephoto but I never use it [emoji38]

I'll be doing some more astro when the season allows and the RX100 III is a legendarily capable little astro shooter as well :)
« Last Edit: Monday 25 May 2020, 05:48:35 AM by OpenC »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10942 on: Monday 25 May 2020, 05:56:38 AM »
I mean, what's not to love :)

Quality at 100% crop is well down on the Fuji but I only post them here and on Instagram so :dontknow:
« Last Edit: Monday 25 May 2020, 06:14:40 AM by OpenC »

Offline Judge Holden

• General Member
« Reply #10943 on: Monday 25 May 2020, 09:51:28 AM »
Where's that first pic taken?

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #10944 on: Monday 25 May 2020, 10:11:23 AM »
The magical Glencoe.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10945 on: Monday 25 May 2020, 10:15:18 AM »

Aye, one of the most famous views in the UK that one, and literally 10 seconds off the road.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10946 on: Monday 25 May 2020, 10:25:53 AM »

f*** it, changed my mind again.  Will just commit to the cleaning, the Fuji is f***ing lovely :lol:

Offline pbxtn

• General Member
« Reply #10947 on: Monday 25 May 2020, 10:30:03 AM »
I'll be honest I really miss having a zoom when I use my X100T, but I can't bring myself to sell it just because it's a thing of beauty and a delight to use.

There's also a part of my that wishes I had got the XT2 instead of the D500 at the time, the D500 is absolutely fantastic to use like the Fuji but it's massive and with all my kit it weighs a ton. I'm going to have a serious think when this whole virus thing is over about getting something smaller but with a better resolution (D500 is 'only' 20.9Mpix).

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10948 on: Monday 25 May 2020, 10:42:05 AM »
What is it about the resolution that you're not satisfied with?  Resolution in terms of sensor size isn't really the issue in my experience, unless you're routinely needing to significantly crop the image or print it on the side of a building (in my humble opinion) - it's about the quality of the image on the sensor, which is more a function of sensor size and lens quality than anything else.  The 5D I had was only 12MP or something but I've never seen a cleaner or sharper image at 100%, despite the camera and lens being 15 years old.  You may well find that the Fuji (or Sony) mirrorless options give you the best of both worlds, though.  I'm really impressed with the XT1, has the controls I wanted in spades and the image quality is phenomenal even from Fuji's cheaper lenses (miles better than I ever saw from Canon's APS-C).  It's exactly what you'd expect from the X100 series but with interchangeable lenses; that sensor was already pretty special and it's even better when you can use it with whatever focal length you like.

However: as I've posted before, a system is a system and you don't really save that much space because lenses are (generally) the same sort of size.  All you're really getting back is the mirror block of the camera.  If you want the flexibility and the image quality, you really just have to commit to lugging glass and body around, unfortunately.

Thought it was about time I tried this one.  This isn't a proper effort (wasn't the day I wanted for the shot so I didn't set it up as carefully as I generally would), but I thought I'd post it anyway.  Blowing foliage at the top right is the real reason I didn't bother setting it up properly, but I actually quite like the way it turned out anyway :lol:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10949 on: Monday 25 May 2020, 10:57:31 AM »
Or in colour.  Could do with getting rid of that orange/yellow/green/whatever buoy, but never mind.  When I do it properly I will.