Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 608617 times)

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
Re: The photo thread
« Reply #10850 on: Thursday 9 January 2020, 06:21:29 PM »
Cheers Jim :thup:
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #10851 on: Monday 10 February 2020, 09:30:04 PM »
The Black Sun

Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10852 on: Saturday 4 April 2020, 07:59:21 AM »
For those of you stuck in suburban lockdown, thought I'd post some of this year's pics so far. 

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #10853 on: Saturday 4 April 2020, 08:08:24 AM »
Fantastic collection of shots wibble

Offline Judge Holden

• General Member
« Reply #10854 on: Saturday 4 April 2020, 08:30:31 AM »
Lovely them.

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #10855 on: Saturday 4 April 2020, 10:09:00 AM »
Lovely stuff IC.

Offline Mr Logic

• Lord of the pikeys
  • General Member
« Reply #10856 on: Saturday 4 April 2020, 12:14:48 PM »
Thailand, March this year.

Scotland, July 2019

A life spent in fear is a life half lived.

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #10857 on: Sunday 5 April 2020, 06:03:40 PM »
Saw this on twitter and thought it was stunning.

?s=19
Bearings Straight!

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #10858 on: Sunday 12 April 2020, 12:25:28 PM »
New photomontage/collage.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10859 on: Wednesday 15 April 2020, 05:57:52 PM »
Thread is looking good, if a bit neglected :shifty:  Lovely stuff from wibble and Mr Logic, and excellent as ever from IC

To save folk asking, Fuji XT1 with Samyang 12mm f/2.0, Fuji XF 23mm f/2 fand Fuji XC 50-230, and I've had them for months and haven't had anything other since the X100S I was using last time I posted.  Also switched to CaptureOne from Lightroom, much prefer it.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #10860 on: Thursday 16 April 2020, 11:48:25 AM »
The mountain shot is great, OC.

What are you finding to be the pros of CaptureOne?

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #10861 on: Thursday 16 April 2020, 03:58:31 PM »
Are you using filters on some of those shots or just changing exposure compensation in the camera?

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10862 on: Thursday 16 April 2020, 05:04:17 PM »
I've been planning to get that shot of Buachaille Etive Mor for years IC. Was ultimately disappointed with the conditions when I went (light was very flat and dull, as you can see) so I'll try it again next time I'm passing

I prefer CaptureOne's way of doing things with masks - you can mask anything and apply any of its tools specifically to that mask, I really love that.  Lightroom was much more limited in the way it used (for example) the graded ND filter, you could only make certain and limited adjustments while this lets you do absolutely anything you can do to the whole image to any individual part of the image as well.  Also prefer the very simple way you can maximize your whites and blacks to quickly expand the dynamic range as wide as it can go and know you're not clipping; and the HDR sliders for highlight and shadow recovery are really excellent (although presumably limited by the quality of your raw file).

I was absolutely amazed by this video, particularly when he starts editing the greens but only in one section of the image (and I'm colour blind [emoji38] that's how amazed I was):

That convinced me to give it a go, and although in a lot of ways it's way more clunky than Lightroom (catalogue management is nonexistent, preview photos often corrupt and have to be rebuilt) I just really like the output.  Should say I only ever used Lightroom versions up to 5.6 though, I'm sure it's come on since then.  I do think, though, that it does a better job of Fuji raws than Lightroom ever did (and is also much, much quicker to work with on Fuji files).

And yeah, I'm using ten stop ND filters to slow everything down adam.  The black and white is just a standard handheld photo but the others were long exposures, probably about 30 seconds each (this is the one area I preferred the X100S, which had a built in three stop ND meaning a physical ten stop ND made it thirteen in total which gave exposures of three or four minutes even in bright sunshine, incredible).
« Last Edit: Thursday 16 April 2020, 08:34:22 PM by OpenC »

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #10863 on: Thursday 16 April 2020, 06:47:37 PM »
Need to get me some ND filters.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10864 on: Thursday 16 April 2020, 06:54:02 PM »
I use Pig Iron ones, they're about a tenner on ebay and perfectly good :thup:  There's a reasonable chance they're putting a horrendous colour cast on my images compared to a Β£150 Lee one but it's not something I've noticed (and I'm assuming that working with raw files and setting white balance manually anyway does make it easier to avoid a cast).

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #10865 on: Friday 17 April 2020, 04:20:42 PM »
Thanks, here's a few more from the same set:

Amazing.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #10866 on: Saturday 18 April 2020, 01:31:32 PM »
I've been planning to get that shot of Buachaille Etive Mor for years IC. Was ultimately disappointed with the conditions when I went (light was very flat and dull, as you can see) so I'll try it again next time I'm passing

I prefer CaptureOne's way of doing things with masks - you can mask anything and apply any of its tools specifically to that mask, I really love that.  Lightroom was much more limited in the way it used (for example) the graded ND filter, you could only make certain and limited adjustments while this lets you do absolutely anything you can do to the whole image to any individual part of the image as well.  Also prefer the very simple way you can maximize your whites and blacks to quickly expand the dynamic range as wide as it can go and know you're not clipping; and the HDR sliders for highlight and shadow recovery are really excellent (although presumably limited by the quality of your raw file).

I was absolutely amazed by this video, particularly when he starts editing the greens but only in one section of the image (and I'm colour blind [emoji38] that's how amazed I was):

That convinced me to give it a go, and although in a lot of ways it's way more clunky than Lightroom (catalogue management is nonexistent, preview photos often corrupt and have to be rebuilt) I just really like the output.  Should say I only ever used Lightroom versions up to 5.6 though, I'm sure it's come on since then.  I do think, though, that it does a better job of Fuji raws than Lightroom ever did (and is also much, much quicker to work with on Fuji files).

And yeah, I'm using ten stop ND filters to slow everything down adam.  The black and white is just a standard handheld photo but the others were long exposures, probably about 30 seconds each (this is the one area I preferred the X100S, which had a built in three stop ND meaning a physical ten stop ND made it thirteen in total which gave exposures of three or four minutes even in bright sunshine, incredible).

Cheers man, sounds like it's worth giving a shot. I've only really got a contax t2 at the minute but when scanned in at large dpi/ppi there's still lots of room for play in post. Lightroom has a good workflow and efficiency though imo, which I lean heavily on. I usually use Lightroom classic, there another one (lightroom cc?) available on my cc subscription but I downloaded it once and it was s****.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #10867 on: Monday 20 April 2020, 03:12:58 PM »
For those of you stuck in suburban lockdown, thought I'd post some of this year's pics so far. 

You have a great eye for framing, mate.
Lovely.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10868 on: Monday 20 April 2020, 05:53:19 PM »
Two views of the staithes at Holy Island. I miss that place more than Scotland

Both with the X100S, these. Second one is an exposure of between 15 and 20 minutes, I think.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10869 on: Monday 20 April 2020, 06:13:25 PM »

And the path to Hareshaw Linn, a closer look at the Seaham Wheels and Dunstanburgh Castle, these with the XT1.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #10870 on: Wednesday 22 April 2020, 11:52:14 AM »
Those are sweet, off to order some filters right now.

Question, how do people go about photgraphing sunrise/set? I always find that my camera's dynamic range isn't high enough for the full shot. I guess I could do some bracketed shots are merge them later on? Or am I best just underexposing then brining up the shadows in post?

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10871 on: Wednesday 22 April 2020, 12:06:31 PM »
People doing it properly usually use graded filters, so ND -2.00 or so on the top and plain glass on the bottom.  Only works properly on a flat horizon, of course, and if you haven't got that flat horizon then some degree of balancing in post is going to be necessary. 

I personally just underexpose and bring up the shadows in post, as you suggest (or more commonly just use a fake ND on the overexposed sky - I should really do it the other way round though, since shadows are easier to recover than highlights usually) :thup:
« Last Edit: Wednesday 22 April 2020, 12:17:08 PM by OpenC »

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #10872 on: Wednesday 22 April 2020, 01:00:37 PM »
I use Pig Iron ones, they're about a tenner on ebay and perfectly good :thup:  There's a reasonable chance they're putting a horrendous colour cast on my images compared to a Β£150 Lee one but it's not something I've noticed (and I'm assuming that working with raw files and setting white balance manually anyway does make it easier to avoid a cast).

My experience of the Lee little & big stopper filters is that they very much have a blue cast to them that you need to compensate for with the white balance or later in RAW. In my opinion the Lee system is nice but like many things in photography it's vastly overpriced and for 99% of people there are plenty of cheaper alternatives out there that will produce very similar quality results for a fraction of the price.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #10873 on: Wednesday 22 April 2020, 01:05:30 PM »
:thup: good to know.  The only real disadvantage to the Pig Iron ones is they're oldschool screw on and screw off which can be a nuisance if you're wanting to do things quickly, but as I say they only cost between Β£10 and Β£15 even for bigger diameter ones and I've been happy with the results they give me.  I wish they did a 13 stop one since stacking definitely causes cast problems (I tried stacking a 10 and a 6 and quite aside from the vignetting, I saw colours that I have never experienced before in the files) and I got quite into ultralong exposures with the X100S, but 10 stops is enough for most scenarios and if you're keeping your exposure below 30 seconds it means you don't have to additionally fanny about with remote releases.

Offline Facundo Ferreyra

• General Member
« Reply #10874 on: Saturday 25 April 2020, 07:31:09 PM »
Went for a walk down Ouseburn. The view from the Free Trade is even better when there's nobody around.