Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 576018 times)

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
Re: The photo thread
« Reply #10825 on: Monday 19 August 2019, 07:22:38 PM »
Is there any chance I can get some advice? I've agreed to do a short documentary style video for my football club, I know what i'm doing in terms of production, editing and shot selection, however I need to buy a camera, and in terms of what i'm looking for in terms of video camera, I haven't got a damn clue. So I was just wonder what people would suggest.

I saw the below recomended online, and people at work think its decent, but i'm not sure:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-G80MEB-K-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B01LXKRF7V/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=PANASONIC+G85&qid=1566154943&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #10826 on: Monday 19 August 2019, 07:50:15 PM »
Is there any chance I can get some advice? I've agreed to do a short documentary style video for my football club, I know what i'm doing in terms of production, editing and shot selection, however I need to buy a camera, and in terms of what i'm looking for in terms of video camera, I haven't got a damn clue. So I was just wonder what people would suggest.

I saw the below recomended online, and people at work think its decent, but i'm not sure:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-G80MEB-K-Compact-System-Camera/dp/B01LXKRF7V/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=PANASONIC+G85&qid=1566154943&s=gateway&sr=8-1

What's your budget? Are the club willing to help out with it? I'd consider renting your equipment if it's just a one-off video. That'll allow you to get some of the best gear without spending thousands.

The Sony A7III is one of the best for recording video out there without using a huge director style camera. Mirrorless, full frame, beautiful quality. It's capable of 4k at lower fps settings, whilst also being capable of 120fps slow-mo. It may be worth looking at a couple of lenses although you can probably get away with the one if you choose the right range of focal length depending on what you will be mainly capturing.  A glidecam would also add a pro edge to your end product (a handheld bit of equipment that allows you to move around with your camera whilst keeping your shots steady and smooth).

• General Member
« Reply #10827 on: Friday 23 August 2019, 08:23:37 PM »

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10828 on: Monday 26 August 2019, 06:42:53 PM »
I decided to give Lightroom another go and finally mess about with RAW files rather than JPGs.  They take up a heap more space, like, so will need to be a bit more organised and delete any that don't make the cut (my hard drive is stuffed to the gills with pics, many gigs of rubbish).  LR is really good, like, pretty much does everything I want it to. 

I frequently pass this barn, and it usually gets included in any sets of photos I take.  Have taken loads of pics of it over the years, so have been trying to mix up compositions a bit - here's a bit of a framing attempt:

And a more traditional landscape pic, just trying to work some interesting lines into it:

• General Member
« Reply #10829 on: Friday 30 August 2019, 10:13:07 PM »
First roll on my Contax T2. A joy to use. Technically a point and shoot camera but it has aperture priority manually adjustable on the lens. f2.8-f16 as well as exposure compensation. I was using Kodak Tri-X - love the look of this film, beautiful contrast and sharp as anyone needs really.

Offline meadowfield

« Reply #10830 on: Monday 2 September 2019, 09:38:29 PM »
love the look of film
haven't seen it for a while.
My first job was working in a photo lab - just made me remember the smells and the grain on the prints
- Brilliant

• General Member
« Reply #10831 on: Monday 2 September 2019, 09:54:04 PM »
Thank you, and it’s cool that it reminded you of that time in your life. I’ve just got into it having switched from digital to give it a go. The feeling of not knowing what you’ve taken until the negatives come out of the fixer is kind of magical and massively addictive!

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Get outta here, snail!
« Reply #10832 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 10:06:46 PM »

New Orleans Superdome last night, because most people won't click on the NFL thread.

Online sbnufc

• General Member
« Reply #10833 on: Thursday 10 October 2019, 01:37:02 PM »
Does a camera kind of in between a "point and shoot" and "bridge camera" exist?

I have a bridge camera now (not clued up enough to go full DSLR) and it takes good enough pics for what I need, but I would much rather a camera that can take the same quality (or at least comparable) but smaller. The main time I use it is when I go on holiday, and as I only take hand luggage, the bigger bridge camera takes up a bit of space. I'd much prefer a smaller camera, but I dunno if I can get good enough shots with a basic one :lol:

Anyone have any advice or recommendations? :)

After a very quick look, I found something like this which has good reviews, but the pictures in the reviews don't look good at all to me :/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-IXUS-185-Digital-Camera/dp/B01MZ2MAWI/ref=pd_sbs_421_1/261-8621466-4711457

Budget can be up to £300 fwiw

• General Member
« Reply #10834 on: Thursday 10 October 2019, 10:01:52 PM »
A selection of photos taken on my Contax T2 I bought recently. Wonderful camera. f2.8 - essentially a point & shoot but it has aperture control & exposure compensation and a choice of range focusing or auto focus. All taken using Kodak Tri-X 400.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #10835 on: Friday 11 October 2019, 01:09:21 PM »
f***ing hell they're so good, man! Absolutely wonderful.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #10836 on: Friday 11 October 2019, 01:10:44 PM »
You pay top dollar for the T2?
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

• General Member
« Reply #10837 on: Friday 11 October 2019, 08:28:05 PM »
Thank you Jim, really appreciate that :thup:

I paid £670 for the T2 about 3-4 month ago. Some of them go for well over £1,000 like - mental for a point & shoot film camera, but tbf the thing is superb. Really striking quality to the images I think and it's a real pleasure to use & made of great materials with great design. Mine is in great condition both externally and functionally, that said you're always taking a chance paying those prices for any electronic kit which is 30ish year old. Really wanted to try one out though and don't regret it one bit.

• General Member
« Reply #10838 on: Friday 11 October 2019, 08:37:41 PM »
Does a camera kind of in between a "point and shoot" and "bridge camera" exist?

I have a bridge camera now (not clued up enough to go full DSLR) and it takes good enough pics for what I need, but I would much rather a camera that can take the same quality (or at least comparable) but smaller. The main time I use it is when I go on holiday, and as I only take hand luggage, the bigger bridge camera takes up a bit of space. I'd much prefer a smaller camera, but I dunno if I can get good enough shots with a basic one :lol:

Anyone have any advice or recommendations? :)

After a very quick look, I found something like this which has good reviews, but the pictures in the reviews don't look good at all to me :/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-IXUS-185-Digital-Camera/dp/B01MZ2MAWI/ref=pd_sbs_421_1/261-8621466-4711457

Budget can be up to £300 fwiw

Take a look at the Sony RX100 series. Very small compact cameras with beautiful lenses. There's a newer one out going for a grand, but you can get older models for somewhere near the £300 mark new I believe.

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10839 on: Saturday 19 October 2019, 12:52:23 PM »
Love autumn (apart from the rain):

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #10840 on: Sunday 10 November 2019, 12:37:08 PM »
Quite a few pages to catch up. Lovely thread and so many nice shots folks. Keep up the good work :thup:

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10841 on: Monday 11 November 2019, 08:00:31 PM »
Walk down by the river at the weekend:

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #10842 on: Monday 11 November 2019, 08:11:12 PM »
Wow that looks stunning.
Bearings Straight!

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10843 on: Tuesday 12 November 2019, 06:58:19 AM »
Thanks, here's a few more from the same set:

• General Member
« Reply #10844 on: Monday 18 November 2019, 10:25:15 PM »
Some bits and pieces from the last few days. Still working on developing a style that I'm happy with  :)

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10845 on: Monday 25 November 2019, 07:52:47 PM »
Not many pics being posted recently - where's OpenC at these days?  I miss his tremendous giga-posts of Newcastle life.

Anyways, this is what happens if you wake up nice and early on a frosty morning and manage to catch a glimpse of that elusive sun thing: