Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 568600 times)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
Re: The photo thread
« Reply #10800 on: Wednesday 17 July 2019, 12:25:07 pm »
There again, RX10

Going to give the old Fuji a spin tomorrow, get it dusted off in time for Pride this weekend :)
« Last Edit: Wednesday 17 July 2019, 04:49:46 pm by OpenC »

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10801 on: Wednesday 17 July 2019, 07:02:01 pm »
Pick of the bunch is the last one, OpenC, really nice b&w.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10802 on: Thursday 18 July 2019, 07:37:41 pm »
That Fuji look.  It definitely is a thing, like.  And the X100 series are so good for just inspiring you to take pictures of stuff.  Mike: if you're still reading, and still interested, get yourself an old X100S.  No zoom lens and you may spend a while thinking, "well, this is just a little bit tighter than what I get from my phone", but it's not.  It'll teach you everything you need to know :)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10803 on: Thursday 18 July 2019, 07:40:09 pm »

And this

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #10804 on: Friday 19 July 2019, 04:28:02 pm »
Got round to taking that little point & shoot zone focus Olympus XA-2 out again. Loaded it with some high contrast film, set it to ISO 400 & took a wander. It's a fun little thing to use, ultra-simple & genuinely pocket-sized - nobody looked twice at it barring the old guy who was into his cameras anyway. This time, I had the film processed by a proper developer who provided 50-60mb Tiff scans, and not those feeble 500kb-1mb jpegs like the last bunch (mackems). This meant I was actually able to work with files a bit on LR this time round - mostly just highlight/shadow sliders, curves & clarity where appropriate.

In terms of the focus system of the XA-2, it works reasonably well. I missed focus around 6-7 times out of the 38 - which isn't too bad and was probably my fault anyway not choosing the correct distance and moving a little too quick for the shutter speed (whatever it is  :lol:).

All in all though, for a cheap, tiny little point & shoot camera - I think there's some pleasing results here and most importantly a fun day of shooting. (What I'm most excited about is using some of those lovely grainy textures for future collage works!)

On reflection; I will certainly be using this again - not necessarily to replace the Fuji (there's certainly a few moments here I wish I'd had the Fuji with me, namely the waving bloke). But it performed admirably for the price/size of the thing & the Kodak Tri-X film is very very nice. Perhaps I'll invest in another compact 35mm (or near) camera in the future. Contax T2?  :coolsmiley:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10805 on: Saturday 20 July 2019, 04:52:49 pm »

Some class stuff going on today, not sure if it was Pride related or if they're this years things that wander around the monument through the summer

Took thousands today.  X100S was the perfect tool.  Probably more later :)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10806 on: Saturday 20 July 2019, 05:55:25 pm »

Took thousands but cant be bothered to look at them, which is the problem with taking thousands :lol:

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #10807 on: Saturday 20 July 2019, 07:41:36 pm »
Nice to see some film prints in here - they do look to have a lot of texture to them.  And your compositions look to be improving all the time.

I'm still only 5-6 shots in, out of 12, on my Seagull TLR.  The camera itself looks tremendous, proper old-school box, but it's a complete pain in the arse to lug around.  And I have to carry my digital camera anyway, to figure out the shutter-speed.  Really need to finish off the roll and get it developed.

Anyway, back to digital...and a lens from 1983.  Have decided Minolta's classic MD 35-70 f/3.5 lens is staying on my camera for a bit.  Here's a few from tonight.

• General Member
« Reply #10808 on: Saturday 20 July 2019, 08:02:44 pm »
Thank you, wibble. I am certainly going to invest in a developing kit, some chemicals & a decent negatives scanner. Can see myself enjoying this process quite a bit and forcing myself to think much more compositionally. This set I posted aren't anything great - more me just testing the film out as I'd heard and seen lots of good stuff with Tri-X 400  :) The camera certainly has it's limitations but it's okay for now. I can see myself upgrading to something with a little more manual capability in the future. Perhaps not full SLR, but something more akin to a rangefinder.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10809 on: Sunday 21 July 2019, 03:53:08 pm »
Never been a fan of the "colour pop" but this one occurred entirely naturally as a result of my usual processing

X100S

• General Member
« Reply #10810 on: Sunday 21 July 2019, 04:08:38 pm »
The X100S back in action? Good to see! Looks like you've had a lot of fun in town shooting recently. I've re-fallen in love with this city again lately. I avoided spending time there for a while for some reason, but I can't stay away these days. Completely enchanted by Grey Street and the surrounding Georgian? era architecture. Anyway, re:X100S, I had contemplated selling mine lately as I haven't been getting the same amount of use out of it as I once was. I've been using my Canon + 50 1.8 for client work as it seems to just do a better job for the few tasks I get (namely photographing gyms & people using equipment) and I've been experimenting with film for fun. But as I began to price it up, I realised I can't sell it because it's just wonderful & beautiful and my favourite camera I've used to far (albeit not too many). I feel I will always have use for the Fuji, whether it's travel, street stuff, family things... it does it all  :)

Wanted to share a new montage piece I've been working on this morning...an ode to Le Corbusier's wonderful Unite D'Habitation in Marseille. The second best thing to come out of Marseille after Ben Arfa's transfer to Newcastle in 2011  ;)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10811 on: Sunday 21 July 2019, 04:43:05 pm »
Yeah, I just keep going back to it. It's so versatile, and such a pleasure to use.

The irritations are many (no auto-ND filter primarily, but also that it's a tiny bit too big, the EV dial doing nothing in manual mode, and the styling and blinding silver body making it far from discreet particularly in the sun) but the more you use it the more you know exactly how it's going to render a shot without you even having to look. Prefocused to four metres with auto-iso at f/4 and 1/1200th makes it perfect for shooting unsighted if need be, and if you have time for something higher quality just turning the shutter dial to A for aperture priority gives you that.  The high ISO performance is unmatched, even now I've tried full frame.

It's one I could never really be without. The Ricoh GRs are better in terms of pure image quality and speed of handling but the X100 series just inspire you to take pictures.  I remember a couple of people, I think jimburst primarily, using them and thinking to myself, 'there's no way I could get away with just 35mm' but the more I looked at my shots the more I realised that 95% of them were indeed around 35mm or croppable from a 35mm frame.

• General Member
« Reply #10812 on: Sunday 21 July 2019, 04:57:17 pm »
I agree, it sounds crazy saying that a camera so relatively small which offers such excellent results & functionality is too big - but I often feel it is. Just ever so slightly too bulky, especially as I use a hood for it too. I find it sometimes uncomfortable to carry around for a long time and end up putting it away and having to take it back out as I would an DSLR. The silver has bothered me since getting it, it looks lovely as an object but has attracted so much attention. Almost every time I take it out. It's worth noting however that this is only a problem for discreet street photography... and it's useful for so much more than that so it's a subjective/non-issue really.

Physical controls are my absolute favourite thing about it like, I love using the aperture ring... just has a certain feel about it  :)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10813 on: Sunday 21 July 2019, 05:27:13 pm »
Yeah, for all I love the Ricoh system, the Fuji dials make photography a much more precise art again. And I can hand-carry it all day but I do find myself wishing it had more of a grip for the right hand. It's just not pocketable like (for example) the Ricohs are, or the Sony RX100s, that's the biggest physical mark against it; you need to have an extra bag or case for it. The others can just go in a sunglasses bag in your pocket.

That said, the hybrid viewfinder is worth the extra size.  EVF to get the exposure right then OVF for the framing is a wonderful system which I miss whenever I'm using a different camera.

I'm really enjoying using it again; going to Scotland for a week next month and I'm going to try to take only the Fuji, see how I get on :)

Offline Zippity

• General Member
« Reply #10814 on: Monday 22 July 2019, 12:11:34 am »

Taken at Kielder Observatory by putting my phone up to the telescope viewfinder.  Just seemed kinda appropriate today.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #10815 on: Monday 22 July 2019, 02:43:05 am »
You got a full size version of that?

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10816 on: Sunday 28 July 2019, 06:42:56 pm »

X100S again

• General Member
« Reply #10817 on: Sunday 28 July 2019, 06:58:41 pm »
Stoner

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10818 on: Thursday 1 August 2019, 08:59:00 pm »

Some big skies the last few days

And, since Lola gets all the attention usually

All Fuji

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10819 on: Saturday 3 August 2019, 07:42:11 pm »
A few from the electricity-industry-f***ed-over Ben Cruachan today.  Not a very photogenic hill, but something a bit different given I only had 35mm.

• General Member
« Reply #10820 on: Sunday 4 August 2019, 12:45:31 pm »
How old is that power station like? I like the weathering on it, even if it does disturb the beauty of the landscape.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10821 on: Sunday 4 August 2019, 03:05:05 pm »

Not even massively old I don't think, 60s if I remember rightly.  They pump water up from Loch Awe through the night when electricity is cheap, then run it the other way through the day to generate expensive electricity.  I read somewhere that it's actually a net consumer of electricity rather than a producer :lol:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10822 on: Sunday 4 August 2019, 03:25:14 pm »
@54 this sort of thing happens even in Newcastle when folk are taking pictures :)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • ephemera
« Reply #10823 on: Sunday 4 August 2019, 07:58:22 pm »

Some people

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #10824 on: Tuesday 6 August 2019, 09:06:48 am »

Some people

Very nice stuff.
I recall when I did a year or two of street photography around central London, 6 or 7 years back, and sometimes I would get home have a look through the roll, and find a few angry/p*ssed off poses - particularly from around Camden Town.
There are some for whom having a camera pointed at them is a chore rather than an opportunity.