Author Topic: Films in the pipeline that you're looking forward to?  (Read 498815 times)

TBG and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
Re: Films in the pipeline that you're looking forward to?
« Reply #8575 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 12:02:45 PM »

Dunno if that's directed at what I've said but if so, it's missing the point.

I've got absolutely no issue with female protagonists. What I think is rubbish is PC agendas being bolted onto existing franchises at the expense of good characters and good storylines. Ripley was a strong and individual character with definitive traits and a compelling story arc; ultimately defined by her femininity, specifically her maternal instinct. But instead of that being just a 'thing', it was a key characteristic which actually drove the narrative (i.e. everything that happens with her and Newt is basically what makes the film).

If Aliens got made this year, the Ripley character wouldn't be anywhere near as fleshed-out, she'd just be a woman whose womanness has little to contribute to creating a story that's actually interesting or meaningful.

80's Yorkie "They making the woman kill the Alien Queen because she related to Newt, but she should've died in the the first "Alien" as the chestburster is a metaphor for childbirth. Real Ripley would have died on the dinner table of the Nostromo. Also a women killing an Alien Queen, on the nose much. Also space marine woman carrying the biggest gun, guns are dicks grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Bearings Straight!

Online Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #8576 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 02:06:51 PM »
Directed at the men who rant on the internet about women characters spoiling "Avengers: Endgame", "Star Wars: The Last Jedi", "Captain Marvel", etc.

The Ripley character in Alien was originally written as a male character. Ridley Scott switched the character to a woman. James Cameron pretty much always has a woman as his main protagonist. Some of the people who loved 'T2' will now complain about the women in 'Terminator: Dark Fate'. I'm pretty sure the same people who complain about women characters in films now would be complaining if 'Aliens', 'T2', etc were coming out now.

"A black woman as 007" upset the morons even though it was obvious she wasn't actually playing James (or Jane) Bond. As I understand it, James Bond is retired in the new film so it stands to reason someone else would inherit his old code name. That obvious fact didn't stop an "internet backlash".

Is it 'women characters' spoiling x movies, or is it, more broadly, 'bad stories/bad characters' spoiling x movies? My position is definitely the latter.

Why should Bond be retired at all? By the sounds of it, the only reason that idea was ever considered was so they could shoehorn some political correctness into the franchise. If it happened within a genuinely compelling and justifiable storyline, at least loosely within the series' canon, then you can just about accept it (but still... why? is that really what the series needs? ???) But it just seems like gender politics haphazardly being wedged into existing well-loved franchises.

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #8577 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 02:26:56 PM »
Directed at the men who rant on the internet about women characters spoiling "Avengers: Endgame", "Star Wars: The Last Jedi", "Captain Marvel", etc.

The Ripley character in Alien was originally written as a male character. Ridley Scott switched the character to a woman. James Cameron pretty much always has a woman as his main protagonist. Some of the people who loved 'T2' will now complain about the women in 'Terminator: Dark Fate'. I'm pretty sure the same people who complain about women characters in films now would be complaining if 'Aliens', 'T2', etc were coming out now.

"A black woman as 007" upset the morons even though it was obvious she wasn't actually playing James (or Jane) Bond. As I understand it, James Bond is retired in the new film so it stands to reason someone else would inherit his old code name. That obvious fact didn't stop an "internet backlash".

Is it 'women characters' spoiling x movies, or is it, more broadly, 'bad stories/bad characters' spoiling x movies? My position is definitely the latter.

Why should Bond be retired at all? By the sounds of it, the only reason that idea was ever considered was so they could shoehorn some political correctness into the franchise. If it happened within a genuinely compelling and justifiable storyline, at least loosely within the series' canon, then you can just about accept it (but still... why? is that really what the series needs? ???) But it just seems like gender politics haphazardly being wedged into existing well-loved franchises.

I don't want to spoil the film but I believe the story begins with James Bond being retired from MI6. Why should Bond retire? Because he doesn't want to work forever?
Compare Bond from the 1960s to now. Are gender politics the reason why Bond isn't punching women? If so, most would consider that to be progress even if it isn't in keeping with the original character.

"Star Wars: The Last Jedi" wasn't good in my opinion but the incels decided that it was poor because it had women main characters so they decided to troll the actors.

You may think it's down to bad writing (and it is in part) but the incel internet trolls blame women.
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Get outta here, snail!
« Reply #8578 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 07:48:06 PM »

Sorry Yorkie, this post reeks of gammon.  Plenty of possible reasons why Bond could be retired, but we've not seen the script.  You're getting angry over something we know next to nothing about, based off a Daily Mail article and rumours from Reddit.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #8579 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 08:05:53 PM »
The most likely reason Bond has retired id because he's not f***ing stupid. Only a matter of time before some broad kills him, since he's not allowed to kick her in the fanny.

I mean howay. As if a licensed to kill international spy is worried about hitting a woman.

Also, the current environment ruins the fantasy of any heroine film. Lasses beating up on a building full of blokes isn't impressive when you know the men aren't allowed to hit back.

Online Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #8580 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 10:24:10 PM »

Sorry Yorkie, this post reeks of gammon.  Plenty of possible reasons why Bond could be retired, but we've not seen the script.  You're getting angry over something we know next to nothing about, based off a Daily Mail article and rumours from Reddit.

:lol: Ah s***. If you're getting accused of gammonyness then it's probaly time to double-check your position and make absolutely sure.

It's fair enough to say that I could be jumping the gun, because we're still several months off the actual movie. But I'm not sure if what I'm saying is really that controversial. I'm worried about another of my favourite franchises being corrupted by misguided wokeness. The recent Terminator film is the latest to do that. (spoilers below re Dark Fate)

Spoiler
[close]

I don't want to be seen as gammony so I feel like I need to caveat all this by saying that I quite obviously have no issue with female protagonists. But I do if it's at the expense of good stories and good characters.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Get outta here, snail!
« Reply #8581 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 10:33:04 PM »
The official synopsis for the movie is this:

James Bond has left active service when his friend, the CIA officer Felix Leiter, enlists his help in the search for a missing scientist. When it becomes apparent that the scientist was abducted, Bond must confront a danger the likes of which the world has never seen before.

No mention of any women, and definitely nothing about a new protagonist.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Buttguy for prez
« Reply #8582 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 10:38:57 PM »
It's literally just that someone else has the 007 moniker as James Bond quit. Guaranteed that once he has unquit, he'll have his 007 codename back as well. It'll be to show just how much Bond has quit. "Look, he has quit so much someone else is 007 now. Whatever will the world do? Oh, he's back. Here's his codename back as well."
If you're bored when you're alone, you're in bad company.

Online Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #8583 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 10:42:59 PM »
The official synopsis for the movie is this:

James Bond has left active service when his friend, the CIA officer Felix Leiter, enlists his help in the search for a missing scientist. When it becomes apparent that the scientist was abducted, Bond must confront a danger the likes of which the world has never seen before.

No mention of any women, and definitely nothing about a new protagonist.

Supermegapatriarchy!!!

Jokes. That's fine. I read vitually nothing of the Daily Mail but I don't want to be seen as defending the legitimacy of one of its 'scoops'. Maybe the article I quoted in the first place was just bait and I've taken it.

Regardless, wokeness has infiltrated some franchises at the expense of good stories/characters. Hopefully not this one.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Get outta here, snail!
« Reply #8584 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 10:46:19 PM »
It's literally just that someone else has the 007 moniker as James Bond quit. Guaranteed that once he has unquit, he'll have his 007 codename back as well.

Yeah.  Gammons saw the clickbaity headline and assumed she was getting the job full time.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Get outta here, snail!
« Reply #8585 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 10:48:28 PM »
It's literally just that someone else has the 007 moniker as James Bond quit. Guaranteed that once he has unquit, he'll have his 007 codename back as well. It'll be to show just how much Bond has quit. "Look, he has quit so much someone else is 007 now. Whatever will the world do? Oh, he's back. Here's his codename back as well."

Craig's first movie was a soft reboot with him becoming 007, kind of apt that his last movie will have him retiring.  Then they can start again in a couple of years with Idris.

Online Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #8586 on: Wednesday 27 November 2019, 10:50:38 PM »
Just tell me I'm not really a gammon so I can go to bed

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #8587 on: Thursday 28 November 2019, 12:09:54 AM »
Regarding the specific event you refer to in 'Terminator: Dark Fate', that was James Cameron's idea to do that.

Online Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #8588 on: Thursday 28 November 2019, 12:13:39 AM »
I know. Kinda makes it all the more disappointing.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #8589 on: Thursday 28 November 2019, 09:21:08 AM »
Yorkie was proper gammon in here like.

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #8590 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 01:14:46 PM »

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Get outta here, snail!
« Reply #8591 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:37:38 PM »

Offline Charlies

• General Member
« Reply #8592 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:38:03 PM »

Offline leffe186

• General Member
« Reply #8593 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 06:32:48 PM »
Bond trailer looks mediocre, but still looking forward to it. Richard Jewell looks cracking.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #8594 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 06:55:49 PM »
Bit of a tangent, but having seen the success of all that Marvel bollocks, and these other franchise spin-off type movies, why haven't The James Bond Corporation branched out? There's nee reason they couldn't have been ploughing out Jane Bond, James Bond, Young James Bond, Cooking At Home With M, etc etc.

Is there some principled mother f***er stopping all this, or are they just thick? (or am I?)

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #8595 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 08:30:46 PM »
Bit of a tangent, but having seen the success of all that Marvel bollocks, and these other franchise spin-off type movies, why haven't The James Bond Corporation branched out? There's nee reason they couldn't have been ploughing out Jane Bond, James Bond, Young James Bond, Cooking At Home With M, etc etc.

Is there some principled mother f***er stopping all this, or are they just thick? (or am I?)

It's not that easy is it? :lol: Why is DC nowhere near as successful as Marvel?

Offline Bimpy474

• General Member
« Reply #8596 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 09:02:39 PM »

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #8597 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 09:30:53 PM »

It's not that easy is it? :lol: Why is DC nowhere near as successful as Marvel?

Seems pretty easy from some of the s**** Marvel have produced, but either way, they haven't even tried...

Offline ponsaelius

• General Member
« Reply #8598 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 10:29:35 PM »
Are DC not successful? I'm sure their films make hundreds of millions from churning out copybook s****, just like Marvel, and the new Star Wars.

Before that why didn't the Wigan fans just walk the the Stewart's, the Stewart's only went up to the touchline, their was a big gap between the end of the Stewart's and the stand they could have walked through.
God man replacement's don't have to 100% of best to 100% of a replacement.
The are both white, both intellects, both middle class, both the typical 'people who would have thought could never do such a thing ', all traits of a Psychopath.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #8599 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 10:43:55 PM »
Are DC not successful? I'm sure their films make hundreds of millions from churning out copybook s****, just like Marvel, and the new Star Wars.

I didn't say they weren't successful, just nowhere near as successful as Marvel. Reason being that the majority of MCU films are excellent and don't rely on big comic book names to sell tickets.