Author Topic: :::::{The Boxing Thread}:::::  (Read 462190 times)

Offline Astroblack

• mkdisciple
  • General Member
Re: :::::{The Boxing Thread}:::::
« Reply #12225 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 04:13:20 AM »
That indeed would have knocked a horse out. That  was awesome

Can’t wait for AJ - Wilder. And the Wilder - Fury rematch.

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #12226 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 05:52:00 AM »
I think you’ll be waiting a while, Wilder has old man Ortiz and Kownacki lined up.

Online hakka

• General Member
« Reply #12227 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 08:46:24 AM »
Insane power from Wilder again.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #12228 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 10:07:49 AM »
I've watched it back a couple of times this morning and Wilder was definitely hurt before the knockout, I think if himand AJ get it on the first person to land will win.
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #12229 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 10:29:43 AM »
I think you’ll be waiting a while, Wilder has old man Ortiz and Kownacki lined up.

He fought Ortiz last year ffs. Urgh, boxing man. I think the absolute avoidance of simply matching the best against the best in their prime, is why we no longer have household stars like Tyson, Ali, Louis, Frazier etc. And I don’t even mean in terms of skill & ability either but in terms of iconic moments. You’d rather see Joshua/Wilder/Fury go at it over & over in rematches than see them fighting relative journeymen like Parker, Breazeale & whoever the hell Joshua is fighting next.

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #12230 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
Parker was a unification fight and was unbeaten. I think people tend to have rose tinted glasses when it comes to past eras, there were plenty of times when the public had to wait a while for fights, but people forget the wait and only remember the fight.

In terms of household names, Joshua is huge here, but in America the Mayweather era ran the sport into the ground, and people like Bob Arum and Al Haymon haven’t got to grips with it yet. They’re waiting around trying to build PPV stars, but the PPV market is dead, that’s a big reason fights aren’t happening.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #12231 on: Sunday 19 May 2019, 11:41:13 AM »
Parker was a unification fight and was unbeaten. I think people tend to have rose tinted glasses when it comes to past eras, there were plenty of times when the public had to wait a while for fights, but people forget the wait and only remember the fight.

In terms of household names, Joshua is huge here, but in America the Mayweather era ran the sport into the ground, and people like Bob Arum and Al Haymon haven’t got to grips with it yet. They’re waiting around trying to build PPV stars, but the PPV market is dead, that’s a big reason fights aren’t happening.

You're probably right, I just find it pretty frustrating. I was a huge Pacquiao fan and genuinely believed had he fought Mayweather about 5 years before it actually happened (sometime between the Hatton & Bradley fights), he'd would a stood an excellent chance of winning and winning well. But we had to wait and he was injured going into the fight, yet they still tried to hype it up as this massive spectacle - taking the fans for mugs really. Now we have these 3 giants and yet it may be 1 or 2 years before we see the rematch or Joshua-Wilder, when they could be going at whilst all 3 are in their prime and we could end up with one of those famous sagas Ali/Frazier/Tyson/Holyfield etc gave us.

Wilder-Fury was magnificent, so I'm not saying there's a complete neglect of creating big fights, both Fury & Joshua v Klitschko also incredible. I just never feel like the promoters do their utmost to create the best fights.

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #12232 on: Saturday 25 May 2019, 10:04:52 PM »
Don't think I've seen anyone look less of a professional fighter than this fella Hughie Fury's boxing. :lol: Like watching the school bully fighting the fat kid in class, tits n'all.
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline GeordieDazzler

• General Member
« Reply #12233 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 07:01:14 AM »
Just looked like they had grabbed the first bloke they saw from the local weatherspoons :lol:

That's said he beat the count in the second

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #12234 on: Wednesday 29 May 2019, 11:55:04 AM »
Wilder announced his rematch with old man Ortiz last night. :joey:   He got it in there before he gets called out at the weekend.

Offline County Durham Mag

• General Member
« Reply #12235 on: Wednesday 29 May 2019, 12:04:22 PM »
He's so obviously the one ducking Joshua

Offline samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #12236 on: Wednesday 29 May 2019, 12:35:32 PM »
Wilder is such a ducker.

Offline TRC

• WASRKOOK
  • General Member
« Reply #12237 on: Wednesday 29 May 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
Lost so much interest in Boxing in the last few years. Big fights take way too long to be made now.

Offline GeordieDazzler

• General Member
« Reply #12238 on: Wednesday 29 May 2019, 06:03:45 PM »
Devin Haney is the real deal. If you like boxing watch his fight from Sat.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #12239 on: Saturday 1 June 2019, 01:04:13 AM »
fuckin joke that bloke Joshua is fighting

Offline samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #12240 on: Saturday 1 June 2019, 08:15:38 AM »

He's lost one close fight. He's not a joke.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #12241 on: Saturday 1 June 2019, 08:19:46 AM »

But he hasn't got a 6 pack he must not be a good fighter.

Offline Nate

• General Member
« Reply #12242 on: Saturday 1 June 2019, 08:30:19 AM »

Aye, Ruiz can fight. The 1 defeat on his record was a narrow points loss to Parker for the world title. I scored him winning that fight in this thread. In turn Parker is the only man to have taken Joshua the distance to date and some people had reasonably close scorecards for that one.

Ruiz has very quick hands and likes to get inside. Wouldn't be surprised if he gives Joshua similar problems to those that were posed by Takam and Povetkin early on.

I don't know. I liked his body language at the weigh-in; looked relaxed. He's at least not daft enough to sleepwalk onto his opponent's best shot in Round 1 like Breazeale did the other weekend. Hope it can be fun whilst it lasts.

Offline samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #12243 on: Saturday 1 June 2019, 08:38:19 AM »

Aye, Ruiz can fight. The 1 defeat on his record was a narrow points loss to Parker for the world title. I scored him winning that fight in this thread. In turn Parker is the only man to have taken Joshua the distance to date and some people had reasonably close scorecards for that one.

Ruiz has very quick hands and likes to get inside. Wouldn't be surprised if he gives Joshua similar problems to those that were posed by Takam and Povetkin early on.

I don't know. I liked his body language at the weigh-in; looked relaxed. He's at least not daft enough to sleepwalk onto his opponent's best shot in Round 1 like Breazeale did the other weekend. Hope it can be fun whilst it lasts.

Exactly. All things considered, it's a decent replacement.

Offline Jordan

• General Member
« Reply #12244 on: Saturday 1 June 2019, 08:45:09 AM »
Wilder signed to be fighting Ortiz in September then Fury in early 2020.

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
  • The Dirty Pitchers
« Reply #12245 on: Saturday 1 June 2019, 08:45:42 AM »
My mate became English light heavyweight champion last night.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #12246 on: Saturday 1 June 2019, 10:21:43 PM »

He's 14lb heavier than when he fought Parker.

Offline Nate

• General Member
« Reply #12247 on: Saturday 1 June 2019, 11:00:02 PM »

Cracking undercard fight between Tommy Coyle and Chris Algieri going into the 5th round.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #12248 on: Saturday 1 June 2019, 11:17:00 PM »
Correct decision

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #12249 on: Saturday 1 June 2019, 11:35:50 PM »
Was right to end it
Follow me on twitter @tgarve