Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 343570 times)

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
  • Solihull, West Midlands. GB
Re: The Job Thread
« Reply #9200 on: Wednesday 13 May 2020, 11:08:38 AM »
The company I work for are starting discussions about redundancies.
Is a company, regardless of a department's financial performance, able to simply close that department and make the two people within it, redundant ?
Without boring everyone with the full in's and out's, I work in a logistics company and would like to know if they could simply close the department that looks after air and sea freight, even if they are covering their costs and making (a little bit) of profit.
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #9201 on: Wednesday 13 May 2020, 11:39:14 AM »
Is a company, regardless of a department's financial performance, able to simply close that department and make the two people within it, redundant ?
Without boring everyone with the full in's and out's, I work in a logistics company and would like to know if they could simply close the department that looks after air and sea freight, even if they are covering their costs and making (a little bit) of profit.

In theory yes absolutely.

The company may look at that profit and think it's insufficient, may have a change of strategy, may want to operate differently going forwards and, even if they just think you're a pack of c***s, could dress it up as any of the above to justify it.

If they're talking redundancies, you should be thinking of the implications for you and position yourself accordingly.

I got made redundant almost twenty years ago and had a new job lined up to go to, which was applied for and offered during the redundo process, so it was a case of one job to the other with a wedge of money to see me on my way.

After that (I used the new job purely to get some breathing space) I made a commitment to myself that I'd never have my future and that of my family held in the hands of someone else who could change my destiny on a whim so started building my own business alongside the new job.

Left after a couple of years and have ran my own company since.

Therefore, my advice is to self-strategise and don't put your future in their hands.

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
« Reply #9202 on: Wednesday 13 May 2020, 12:03:54 PM »

The company may look at that profit and think it's insufficient, may have a change of strategy, may want to operate differently going forwards and, even if they just think you're a pack of c***s, could dress it up as any of the above to justify it.

If they're talking redundancies, you should be thinking of the implications for you and position yourself accordingly.

I got made redundant almost twenty years ago and had a new job lined up to go to, which was applied for and offered during the redundo process, so it was a case of one job to the other with a wedge of money to see me on my way.

After that (I used the new job purely to get some breathing space) I made a commitment to myself that I'd never have my future and that of my family held in the hands of someone else who could change my destiny on a whim so started building my own business alongside the new job.

Therefore, my advice is to self-strategise and don't put your future in their hands.

Thank you @Minhosa, I really appreciate that advice.
It is what I thought to be honest. As one of the managers I am reading through all the advice of the redundancy procedures and I wanted to verify my thoughts (fears) as I am in a team of two that I feel the company may want to jettison as a quick way of saving money.
Cheers.
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #9203 on: Wednesday 13 May 2020, 12:44:12 PM »

It is what I thought to be honest. As one of the managers I am reading through all the advice of the redundancy procedures and I wanted to verify my thoughts (fears) as I am in a team of two that I feel the company may want to jettison as a quick way of saving money.
Cheers.

So think of the impacts (positive and negative) and develop a plan.

Suggestions to consider:

- Can you create your own business doing this for them? They get to offer the service, have none of the risk and make something rather than nothing whilst you get to share in the profits. Could you then offer this service to other clients?

- Can you use the money recieved from the redundo as a starter to launching something you enjoy and can earn money from?

- Can you learn something in the gap to upskill yourself to make you more employable going forward?

- Can you downsize your cost base/outgoings (rent/mortgage/sky TV, Utilities etc etc etc) so that you can take a less responsible job to get some lifestyle benefit?

Loads for you to consider but don't get into the headspace of only seeing this as a negative.

If you control your head and your outlook then you control the process.

Just having a broad plan will help in my experience.

Whatever happens don't give them the power of controlling your happiness.

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #9204 on: Wednesday 13 May 2020, 01:19:31 PM »

Cheers.

Suggestions to consider:

- Can you create your own business doing this for them? They get to offer the service, have none of the risk and make something rather than nothing whilst you get to share in the profits. Could you then offer this service to other clients?

- Can you use the money recieved from the redundo as a starter to launching something you enjoy and can earn money from?

- Can you learn something in the gap to upskill yourself to make you more employable going forward?

- Can you downsize your cost base/outgoings (rent/mortgage/sky TV, Utilities etc etc etc) so that you can take a less responsible job to get some lifestyle benefit?

Loads for you to consider but don't get into the headspace of only seeing this as a negative.

That is excellent advice.

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
« Reply #9205 on: Wednesday 13 May 2020, 01:28:53 PM »

Cheers.

Suggestions to consider:

Thanks again @Minhosa
I like to think that on the whole, i'm remaining positive in the face of the possibility that they might decide to close the department.

Going on my own and starting my own business has been suggested to me a few times in the past but i'd need a fair bit of capital in the first instance and I don't think i'm brave enough to do that, especially at the minute. The idea of having to re-mortgage the house to start a business terrifies me. That itself is a touch frustrating as I do feel confident that I have a client base that would follow me and use the services that I could offer them.

We are having a zoom meeting tomorrow morning to discuss redundancies in general and in that meeting, I am going to ask the MD for his thoughts on the department. After that things will be a lot clearer for me and i'll have a good idea of where my future lies.

Thanks again. Greatly appreciated :thup: :)
sackpardew.com

Offline astraguy

• General Member
« Reply #9206 on: Wednesday 13 May 2020, 05:07:55 PM »
a lot of people in my sector are starting to panic as before the lock down they was under review for time keeping etc , Normally you'd get a verbal warning and time line but now they are worried they'll be sacked

Offline chopey

• General Member
  • Co Durham, England.
« Reply #9207 on: Friday 15 May 2020, 09:39:42 AM »
Just had a Teams chat with a company that deals with Nissan and it looks like the Spain plant is closing
Mike Ashley stole my 30's