Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 285619 times)

Offline Giselle

• General Member
Re: Tennis
« Reply #13350 on: Sunday 21 February 2021, 11:59:24 AM »
Both Nadal and Djokovic will end up with more slams than Federer at this point. All three are incredible but man, I thought Roger had it when he got to 20.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #13351 on: Sunday 21 February 2021, 05:27:18 PM »
:lol: I’m so bad at this s***.

I wasn’t even going to say anything :lol:

It’s incredible, the three most successful male players of all time all coming to the end of their careers in the space of a couple of years and any of the three of them could still conceivably end up with the most slams. Madness.

Federer seems like he must be done at this point, maybe one last blaze of glory at Wimbledon this year? Or was 2019 that moment and it got away from him?

Nadal at RG seems a good shot to get another, but surely he can’t have much time left? This year he’ll be favourite, but next year? He turns 35 this summer ffs :lol:

Djokovic is only a year younger. Seems like he has a clear path to another few slams but eventually he has to lose it, right?

Gonna be fascinating over the next year or two... tennis is gonna be f***ed when they’re gone. :lol:

Offline Aiston

• General Member
« Reply #13352 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 12:33:37 AM »
Federer will probably be 3rd best ever behind Djokovic and Nadal by the time they retire.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #13353 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 09:07:27 AM »
Federer will probably be 3rd best ever behind Djokovic and Nadal by the time they retire.

Nah. They might end up with more slams, but Federer is the greatest.

Offline Aiston

• General Member
« Reply #13354 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 11:50:40 AM »

Djokovic basically has everything possible over Federer, other than slams.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #13355 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 12:35:14 PM »

Djokovic basically has everything possible over Federer, other than slams.

He's 6 years younger. He was in his prime as Federer was winding down. There's a lot more to it than just accolades, similar as to why Messi is better than Ronaldo.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #13356 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 01:08:17 PM »
Conversely, Federer had a few years beating up on comparative jabronis for slams before Nadal and Djokovic became top players, no?

Nadal has possibly had the roughest timeline, his whole career he’s had either prime Djokovic or Fed to deal with.

You can make a good case for any of them as far as I can see, though I’m too much of a casual fan to really have any strong opinion on the matter. Federer certainly was the best to watch IMO, I don’t know if that makes him better though.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #13357 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 02:09:51 PM »
Conversely, Federer had a few years beating up on comparative jabronis for slams before Nadal and Djokovic became top players, no?

Nadal has possibly had the roughest timeline, his whole career he’s had either prime Djokovic or Fed to deal with.

You can make a good case for any of them as far as I can see, though I’m too much of a casual fan to really have any strong opinion on the matter. Federer certainly was the best to watch IMO, I don’t know if that makes him better though.

The only competition Federer had was Andy Roddick really.

Offline gbandit

• General Member
  • Brighton
« Reply #13358 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 02:24:04 PM »
I absolutely love Nadal and if he hadn’t had to deal with injuries I think he’d have gotten an extra slam or two but I think it’s hard to say he’s the best ever due to the absurd number of wins at Roland Garros. Federer’s game is classical brilliance but even though I hate Djokovic, I think him at his very best might come out on top against the very best of Federer / Nadal. Anyway, it’s a bit pretty pointless really as it’s all just opinions. Nadal and Federer have been amazing ambassadors for the game, can’t say the same for Djoke

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #13359 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 03:56:04 PM »
Yeah but you could also say it’s worked in Djokovic’s favour that two of the slams are on his best surface. How different would these numbers look if the US or Australian Open were played on clay or grass?

Bit of a pity that there aren’t four different surfaces for the four slams. I know they used to play events on carpet, is there any other surface that makes sense? Ice would be pretty sweet :lol:

Online Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #13360 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 05:29:53 PM »
It’s pretty wild that we’re talking arguably the three greatest of all time and they’re each the master of a different surface.

Online Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #13361 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 05:31:14 PM »
Yeah but you could also say it’s worked in Djokovic’s favour that two of the slams are on his best surface. How different would these numbers look if the US or Australian Open were played on clay or grass?

Bit of a pity that there aren’t four different surfaces for the four slams. I know they used to play events on carpet, is there any other surface that makes sense? Ice would be pretty sweet :lol:

I guess they count indoors as hard court, but whatever that spongy gymnasium flooring is should be a surface of its own.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #13362 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 05:56:44 PM »
Will always love Federer the most

Murray and Wawrinka winning a few Grand Slams with the Big 3 around, wonder how many they'd have won in a different era

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #13363 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 05:59:59 PM »
Personally think Novak is the greatest, but Roger Federer will be my favourite of all time.

Murray deserves huge praise for some his achievements including 2 Olympic gold medals.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #13364 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 06:16:46 PM »

Murray and Wawrinka winning a few Grand Slams with the Big 3 around, wonder how many they'd have won in a different era

Murray would have had twice as many at least had he not got injured at the end of 2016 just as he became world number one. Had he been injury free during 2017-2018 I think he'd have added another 3 slams. One of the big disappointments for me is never having seen a Murray vs Nadal slam final.

Similarly had someone asked me in 2010 how many slams Del Potro would win in his career I would have said at least 5. His injuries took that away from him but he is a player who would have challenged for almost every slam had he stayed in good health.

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #13365 on: Monday 22 February 2021, 08:03:08 PM »

Murray would have had twice as many at least had he not got injured at the end of 2016 just as he became world number one. Had he been injury free during 2017-2018 I think he'd have added another 3 slams. One of the big disappointments for me is never having seen a Murray vs Nadal slam final.

Similarly had someone asked me in 2010 how many slams Del Potro would win in his career I would have said at least 5. His injuries took that away from him but he is a player who would have challenged for almost every slam had he stayed in good health.

Del Potro busting his wrist was so cruel - totally agree that he would have challenged the other 3 on all surfaces - just a shame what he has gone through really - denied us all an epic journey