Author Topic: ipod hacked.  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Parky

• General Member
ipod hacked.
« on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 04:22:41 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1931458,00.html

"Jon Lech Johansen, a Norwegian hacker living in California, has managed to sidestep Apple's Fairplay management system and trick iPods into thinking they are playing tracks bought from the company's online iTunes store."   :banana:

Morph

Re: ipod hacked.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 04:24:31 PM »
clever bloke like.  shame hardly anyone with any sense buys music off there and uses limewire or summit similar instead.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 04:31:31 PM »
Looks like soon you'll be able to use your Limonetta wire tracks on the ipod. blueyes.gif

Gemmill

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 04:58:50 PM »
Eh?  You can already play tracks acquired through Limewire on an ipod.  Just any old MP3, surely?

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 04:59:35 PM »
Not sure Gemma. bluesigh.gif

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 05:16:38 PM »
The report I read was going on about the reverse tbh, ie being able to play music from iTunes on other devices than iPod only.

Looks like the Guardian have got the wrong end of the stick.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 05:32:41 PM »
I think you will find you are mistaken Mr Winraaaaarrrr! :lol:

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 05:34:32 PM »

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 05:37:49 PM »
.........Works the other way as well then surely Shirley?? bluecool.gif

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 05:45:53 PM »
I don't own an iPod, but as Gemmill says, what would be the need to hack it if it can already play regular mp3s?

The point of this breakthrough is that with this guy's software you can use your iTunes music selection and not be forced into buying an iPod to play them on. You can play them on any other personal digital player.

Invicta_Toon

« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 05:48:23 PM »
I read this as he's enabled the uploading of tracks to the iPod as if they were from iTunes, when in fact they are from www.stolenmusic.com

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 05:51:00 PM »
I read this as he's enabled the uploading of tracks to the iPod as if they were from iTunes, when in fact they are from www.stolenmusic.com

That's what the Guardian's piece makes out. The Beeb I linked to says entirely the opposite.

Offline ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 05:53:54 PM »
Confused by this, have been using iTunes for years and limewire and have had a generation 3 and 4 iPod. Always played for me no matter where the source as long it is in mp3 format

I think the guardian may have got this wrong. The big hack was always to be able to transfer MY iTunes onto someone ELSE's iPod or iTunes.

My mate works for a IT joint venture between Microsoft and Accenture and is a total whizzkid, he said this was the hack that would break down iTunes. I can give you a track over MSN but as soon as you click to play it, it will ask for my itunes password. You can do this 5 times and then its unswappable.

If you hack it, you can swap as many times. Dont know still confused by this.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 05:54:28 PM »
\o/

I am right.

Offline ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 05:54:42 PM »

I have been doing that for years  blueconfused.gif

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 05:59:54 PM »
I'd have thought the idea would be that you could download tracks from iTunes and defeat the DRM on it so you could share it with other people or whatnot rather than having it tied to your iPod?

Didn't read the article like.

Invicta_Toon

« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 06:02:05 PM »

I have been doing that for years  blueconfused.gif

I thought the iPod only connected to iTunes?

don't know, not a poncy student. 3-4 albums and an FM radio the size of a chewing gum packet does me  blueyes.gif

funnily enough I was at an Accenture presentation last night

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 06:10:26 PM »
I'd have thought the idea would be that you could download tracks from iTunes and defeat the DRM on it so you could share it with other people or whatnot rather than having it tied to your iPod?

Didn't read the article like.

That is both what I wrote, and what I linked to on the BBC site. :thup:

The Guardian are talking nonsense.

Offline Lagerstedt

• General Member
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 06:12:27 PM »
What the bloke has done is that you can download music from iTunes and play it on any mp3-player, not just the iPod.

By downloading music through iTunes, Apple pretty much forced the user to buy an iPod.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 06:14:07 PM »
Everyone ignores my posts. :(

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 06:20:28 PM »
Ah, cheers, David.  There was some moron going on about it today at college.  So thick he couldn't actually say what was done, just that "this guy hacked ipods, man, you can now upload stuff off it and s***", met with a blank stare then a mocking laugh.

Funny, his name was David too. :D

This making iPods even less useful.  Cheers, guy, whatever your name is.  You've served the world well.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 06:25:33 PM »
Dave was right all along.

The French govt is taking apple to court over this issue and if it wins there will be no need for the hack (well for me anyway)

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 06:28:22 PM »
Curses I should only be starting Mac friendly threads. tongue.gif

Invicta_Toon

« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 09:12:44 PM »
Ah, cheers, David.  There was some moron going on about it today at college.  So thick he couldn't actually say what was done, just that "this guy hacked ipods, man, you can now upload stuff off it and s***", met with a blank stare then a mocking laugh.

Funny, his name was David too. :D

This making iPods even less useful.  Cheers, guy, whatever your name is.  You've served the world well.

The bloke is DVD Jon, the guy the who cracked DVDs at 15 and was sued by the RIAA (Well the movie equivalent)

he's famous btw  bluewink.gif

Offline Decky

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 October 2006, 09:15:59 PM »
Apple have an official Limewire plug in, i have about a 1000 tracks on my iPod, i paid for 3 of them
Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.