Author Topic: Books! The "What are you reading?" thread  (Read 285399 times)

Offline brummie

• General Member
Re: Books! The "What are you reading?" thread
« Reply #5375 on: Thursday 31 December 2020, 05:54:27 PM »
The section where Stoner is dying, the way Williams conveys the feelings and physical sensations of someone who is slowly and hazily slipping out of life and into death. Probably the most powerful literature I’ve experienced.

Took me into some deep introspection and emotions that no other book has ever managed to do.

Stoner is a beautiful book. It made me choke up several times, and I had no real idea why.
Well focus on the quasar in the mist, the Kaiser has a cyst

Offline Django

• General Member
« Reply #5376 on: Thursday 31 December 2020, 06:18:39 PM »
I've just finished the Argonautika or Jason & the Argonauts by Apollonius of Rhodes translated by Peter Green.

A good stepping stone between Homer and Virgil' Epics but nowhere near either in quality.

Likewise I have a big reading list to get through, I've read something like 50 books this year, my best year for a while. Roll on the next lockdown ;)

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #5377 on: Thursday 31 December 2020, 06:34:32 PM »
Anyone read Niel Gaiman's 'Norse Mythology'?

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #5378 on: Thursday 31 December 2020, 06:44:19 PM »
Just re-read Hannah Arendt's Origins of Totalitarianism.

Funny about going back to it now after 24 years. I know it was the times, but jesus was she racist. Her analysis of Africa was so god damned lazy and ill-informed, even for 1950.

It's still a very valuable social psychological analysis of what led to the totalitarianism in Europe, particularly with her discussion of the Dreyfus Affair. But FFS.
To crush your enemies while wearing a loincloth and bandolier, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
« Reply #5379 on: Friday 1 January 2021, 02:49:49 PM »
Some of the stuff Ibram Kendi quotes in How To Be An Antiracist is mind boggling. I honestly didn’t understand the level of design that went into the concept of ‘race’ and the supposed characteristics of different groups. Crazy stuff.

Offline Django

• General Member
« Reply #5380 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 11:26:00 AM »
Just finished another read through of the Iliad, this time translated by Richmond Lattimore.

It's such an amazing read, loved this translation. It may be the best I've read although I always think that with every version I read.

It's the kind of book that you could read 100 times and you would still find new stuff in there, or a new way of interpreting passages.
« Last Edit: Thursday 14 January 2021, 11:35:38 PM by Django »

Offline Vieu

• General Member
« Reply #5381 on: Friday 15 January 2021, 02:35:47 PM »
Listening to The Hobbit. Could not listen to the version with Inglis, so listen to Serkis. Does anyone know if they are planning LotR with him, or was this a one-time event?

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #5382 on: Saturday 16 January 2021, 06:30:56 PM »
This Lovecraft fella was an odd one. Barely through this book collection, and still not sure what to think. Some of the stuff is great, some of the stuff is just... boring.

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #5383 on: Saturday 16 January 2021, 06:36:01 PM »
This Lovecraft fella was an odd one. Barely through this book collection, and still not sure what to think. Some of the stuff is great, some of the stuff is just... boring.

Yeah, his writing tended to be flat. But some good stories in there...although he was racist as f***, and the hybrids of his stories likely reflected his disgust with miscegenation.
To crush your enemies while wearing a loincloth and bandolier, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #5384 on: Saturday 16 January 2021, 09:12:49 PM »
Yeah, it's very much 100 year old text and ideas, especially in the earlier stories I've read so far. I haven't seen too much racism appear, other than his description of the one Mexican that's appeared so far.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
« Reply #5385 on: Saturday 16 January 2021, 10:34:05 PM »
American Gods, much better than the TV version so far.

Offline Wilson

• General Member
  • The Mike, the.
« Reply #5386 on: Sunday 17 January 2021, 11:11:10 AM »
Moving on to my next module with the open uni, usually get some text books dropped off, this time the only module material they have sent me is Asimov's I, Robot. Going to make a start on it tonight.

Online Lazarus

• General Member
« Reply #5387 on: Sunday 17 January 2021, 11:39:30 AM »
Yeah, it's very much 100 year old text and ideas, especially in the earlier stories I've read so far. I haven't seen too much racism appear, other than his description of the one Mexican that's appeared so far.

Let me guess - was it a certain underperforming attacking midfielder?

Offline Django

• General Member
« Reply #5388 on: Sunday 17 January 2021, 01:08:28 PM »

I've always been curious by HP, I've not read him but from what I've heard he's great at evoking an atmosphere of dread but not much of a storyteller.

I should really read him before passing judgement however ;)

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #5389 on: Sunday 17 January 2021, 05:21:50 PM »

I've always been curious by HP, I've not read him but from what I've heard he's great at evoking an atmosphere of dread but not much of a storyteller.

I should really read him before passing judgement however ;)

His work usually reads like a history textbook from the 19th century. But he had some truly crazy, groundbreaking ideas.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #5390 on: Sunday 17 January 2021, 09:07:16 PM »
His whole dreamscape thing is pretty cool, I'll give him that. Fella certainly had a fear of fish and water, though.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #5391 on: Monday 18 January 2021, 11:49:30 AM »
Finally got my reading head back on (by being sober and putting Twitter the f*** down) and finished Wolf Hall at last. What a book, incredible writing.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #5392 on: Monday 18 January 2021, 05:18:37 PM »
I made it maybe 25% of the way through before giving up and rereading all of Stormlight Archive.

Offline polkaDot

• General Member
« Reply #5393 on: Monday 18 January 2021, 10:46:48 PM »
Just finished these two i got for Christmas. Very much recommended for well researched (and eye opening) history of the US.

Offline Facundo Ferreyra

• General Member
« Reply #5394 on: Monday 18 January 2021, 11:26:39 PM »
I don't normally do new years resolutions but this year I decided to read more as I hadn't read a book in ages. Currently reading If It Bleeds by Stephen King which is a collection of four previously unpublished novellas. Finished the first story which was decent.

Offline ponsaelius

• General Member
« Reply #5395 on: Tuesday 19 January 2021, 09:40:44 AM »
Just finished these two i got for Christmas. Very much recommended for well researched (and eye opening) history of the US.

Was looking at buying that first one the other month in Waterstones but didn't pull the trigger. Thanks for the positive review - will pick it up.
Before that why didn't the Wigan fans just walk the the Stewart's, the Stewart's only went up to the touchline, their was a big gap between the end of the Stewart's and the stand they could have walked through.
God man replacement's don't have to 100% of best to 100% of a replacement.
The are both white, both intellects, both middle class, both the typical 'people who would have thought could never do such a thing ', all traits of a Psychopath.

Online Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #5396 on: Tuesday 19 January 2021, 10:30:45 AM »
Finally got my reading head back on (by being sober and putting Twitter the f*** down) and finished Wolf Hall at last. What a book, incredible writing.

Good man :thup: The difference between reading s**** on twitter to reading quality literature... life quality up by a million percent.
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #5397 on: Tuesday 19 January 2021, 10:37:51 AM »
I made it maybe 25% of the way through before giving up and rereading all of Stormlight Archive.

It's a weird book in the sense that the writing is so good but very little happens in it. Expecting the story to take over in number 2 hopefully.

Sleep now in the fire

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #5398 on: Tuesday 19 January 2021, 10:38:53 AM »

Good man :thup: The difference between reading s**** on twitter to reading quality literature... life quality up by a million percent.

Hated myself for ages. Forcing the bairn to read books while I sat next to her reading anti Tory Twitter :lol:

Sleep now in the fire

Online Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #5399 on: Tuesday 19 January 2021, 10:46:57 AM »

Hated myself for ages. Forcing the bairn to read books while I sat next to her reading anti Tory Twitter :lol:

:lol:

I've been there like where you fall out of the routine, I initially read less after lockdown as my commute to work was a time where I'd get real momentum up with books and as a result not want to put them down. Then I picked up A Hero of Our Time by Lermontov and it all flooded back. I don't think the importance of reading can be overestimate, and actually reading, not audiobooks. Something about the word on the page that allows it to be integrated deeper, as you read, read again, ponder it and continue. Audiobooks as great as they are can't really offer that.
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.