Author Topic: Books! The "What are you reading?" thread  (Read 254206 times)

Open_C

Re: Books! The "What are you reading?" thread
« Reply #5100 on: Sunday 31 March 2019, 06:34:30 PM »
Oh, he's funny as f*** and was definitely trying to make you laugh.  I don't agree with him on everything, of course (the bit where he effectively agrees with legendarily po-faced Richard Dawkins equating the supernatural explanation for all XFiles episodes with a theoretical series where the bad guy is always black was particularly difficult) but the good bits - the birth of New Labour, Enron, Princess Diana - are really excellent.

Strange Days Indeed is very much a companion volume on the 70s and together they should be required reading for anyone who thinks that politics today are so very different to how they've been in the past.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #5101 on: Saturday 11 May 2019, 12:41:55 AM »
Wow, had to delve all the way to page 3 to find this thread and some of the forums best threads are now on page 2.....anyway,

Isabel Hardman's "Why we get the wrong politicians" . Great read for anyone with a political interest, quite eye opening and sketches the problems well. I'm still mulling over the solutions which were only about 5 pages worth but made sense.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Sean

• General Member
« Reply #5102 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 08:52:36 PM »
Just about to start reading "The Boy on the Shed" by Paul Ferris. Got it as a Christmas present of the old man so think it's about time I started it.  :lol:

Guessing a few on here will have read it before, any good?
“I think when we score it will be from a penalty or a set play or maybe a shot from the edge of the area or a ricochet. Hopefully.” Alan Pardew, August 2014

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
  • Kent
« Reply #5103 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 01:49:16 PM »
Just about to start reading "The Boy on the Shed" by Paul Ferris. Got it as a Christmas present of the old man so think it's about time I started it.  :lol:

I read it last year and thought it was brilliant. Some of the more recent stuff featuring Ashley is very interesting, if not at all surprising. :lol:
It recently won autobiography of the year in the Telegraph sports books awards as well.

Offline Sean

• General Member
« Reply #5104 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:16:20 PM »

I read it last year and thought it was brilliant. Some of the more recent stuff featuring Ashley is very interesting, if not at all surprising. :lol:
It recently won autobiography of the year in the Telegraph sports books awards as well.

Thanks for the info! Yeah my dad said it was excellent and mentioned it winning something, read a few pages last night and seems good so far...I'm now wondering if there's anything about Ashley in there as he went with Shearer when he became manager.

Edit: only half-read your post before replying...got the answer to my other question too  :lol:
“I think when we score it will be from a penalty or a set play or maybe a shot from the edge of the area or a ricochet. Hopefully.” Alan Pardew, August 2014

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
  • Kent
« Reply #5105 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 10:46:53 PM »

Thanks for the info! Yeah my dad said it was excellent and mentioned it winning something, read a few pages last night and seems good so far...I'm now wondering if there's anything about Ashley in there as he went with Shearer when he became manager.

Edit: only half-read your post before replying...got the answer to my other question too  :lol:
:lol:
I think anyone with even a passing interest in NUFC will love it. Enjoy!

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #5106 on: Saturday 15 June 2019, 11:37:43 AM »
Anybody read any of the McSweeney's books?
I think it's run by Dave Eggers, amongst others.
No?
Just me then...

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #5107 on: Saturday 15 June 2019, 11:54:31 AM »
Never heard of them.

Reading Hope in the Dark at the moment, little history of progressive politics and activism. Was written during the W Bush years but redone for today.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #5108 on: Friday 20 September 2019, 06:28:12 PM »
I, Caesar.

:lol: Nero was wild as f***.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #5109 on: Saturday 21 September 2019, 10:12:05 AM »
Recent reads:

Man’s Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl
About his own experiences in a concentration camp focusing on how a positive outlook can be maintained in even the most dire circumstances. Superb book.

What Men Live By - Leo Tolstoy

The Myth of Sisyphus - Albert Camus

The Master & Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov
Loved the depiction of the devil in this one, and that even the devil himself was more prone to kindness than the harshness and unjustness of the early Soviet era. Wasn’t too into the more magical, fantastical elements, but an enjoyable book all-round.

Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead - Olga Tokarczuk
Great atmosphere, but a little bit SJW-esque with the animal rights preachiness. Something I’m all for to a certain degree, but some of the commentary and ideas in this are a bit far (left). Some wonderful moments in it all the same, and a lot of Blake references and transcendent writing. No regrets despite the overly political commentary.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #5110 on: Saturday 21 September 2019, 12:16:23 PM »
I’m reading Walden by Thoreau. It’s pretty good but he does go on a bit at times. Haven’t found it a page turner.

Offline Haz

• formerly known as Haswell
  • General Member
« Reply #5111 on: Sunday 22 September 2019, 09:55:25 AM »
The Trump Whitehouse - Ronald Kessle

The Dangerous case of Donald Trump - Randy Lee at al

Fire and Fury - Michael Wolf

Commander in Cheat - Rick Reilly

Common feature; this guy is fuckin' nuts and very dangerous.
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #5112 on: Sunday 22 September 2019, 11:26:19 AM »
Did you really need to read four books for that conclusion? :lol:

Offline Haz

• formerly known as Haswell
  • General Member
« Reply #5113 on: Sunday 22 September 2019, 12:51:51 PM »
Nope just wanted the inside gen.  BTW Commander in Cheat will appeal to Golf fans everywhere.
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Online The Brittle Waster

• Got wrong for defying the clique
  • General Member
" We are on the brink of a new era , if only ... "

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #5115 on: Wednesday 13 November 2019, 05:53:25 PM »
Claire North has a new one out. Pursuit of William Abbey. It's hot s*** so far.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #5116 on: Wednesday 13 November 2019, 06:00:22 PM »
Didn't think much of Touch, but Harry August is basically the first second thing I mention whenever anyone asks for a recommendation.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #5117 on: Wednesday 13 November 2019, 06:02:20 PM »
This one is solid so far. :thup:

Touch was good, imo. End of the World didn't grab me and the games trilogy did nothing for me. Harry August is one of my most re-read novels and a consistent rec. This feels closer to Harry than anything.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #5118 on: Wednesday 13 November 2019, 09:35:27 PM »
@Troll

Definite Harry August vibes. Pick it up.

Offline polkaDot

• General Member
« Reply #5119 on: Wednesday 13 November 2019, 10:02:13 PM »
I’m reading Walden by Thoreau. It’s pretty good but he does go on a bit at times. Haven’t found it a page turner.

Did you finish it? I half way through, enjoying it but I know what you mean :lol:

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #5120 on: Wednesday 13 November 2019, 10:14:23 PM »

Did you finish it? I half way through, enjoying it but I know what you mean :lol:

I've heard it weally is a vewy good wead.

Offline polkaDot

• General Member
« Reply #5121 on: Wednesday 13 November 2019, 10:19:34 PM »
wicked

The a spoils it btw.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 13 November 2019, 10:31:38 PM by polkaDot »

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #5122 on: Wednesday 13 November 2019, 10:41:34 PM »

Nah, I might after I finish Corbyn though. I feel like I already know the point but I feel I should read it all.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #5123 on: Wednesday 13 November 2019, 10:54:54 PM »
Did you really need to read four books for that conclusion? :lol:
I can imagine there'll be some frightening books coming out after hes gone, about his time there by insiders.

Currently reading Stiglitz's "People,Power and Profits", although it's about the US, very interesting, double bookmarked though, loads of notes.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #5124 on: Friday 20 December 2019, 12:40:36 AM »
Anyone read the new Murakami?