Author Topic: Books! The "What are you reading?" thread  (Read 231088 times)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • just cannot be doing with ceaseless misery
Re: Books! The "What are you reading?" thread
« Reply #5100 on: Sunday 31 March 2019, 06:34:30 pm »
Oh, he's funny as f*** and was definitely trying to make you laugh.  I don't agree with him on everything, of course (the bit where he effectively agrees with legendarily po-faced Richard Dawkins equating the supernatural explanation for all XFiles episodes with a theoretical series where the bad guy is always black was particularly difficult) but the good bits - the birth of New Labour, Enron, Princess Diana - are really excellent.

Strange Days Indeed is very much a companion volume on the 70s and together they should be required reading for anyone who thinks that politics today are so very different to how they've been in the past.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #5101 on: Saturday 11 May 2019, 12:41:55 am »
Wow, had to delve all the way to page 3 to find this thread and some of the forums best threads are now on page 2.....anyway,

Isabel Hardman's "Why we get the wrong politicians" . Great read for anyone with a political interest, quite eye opening and sketches the problems well. I'm still mulling over the solutions which were only about 5 pages worth but made sense.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Sean

• General Member
« Reply #5102 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 08:52:36 pm »
Just about to start reading "The Boy on the Shed" by Paul Ferris. Got it as a Christmas present of the old man so think it's about time I started it.  :lol:

Guessing a few on here will have read it before, any good?
“I think when we score it will be from a penalty or a set play or maybe a shot from the edge of the area or a ricochet. Hopefully.” Alan Pardew, August 2014

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #5103 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 01:49:16 pm »
Just about to start reading "The Boy on the Shed" by Paul Ferris. Got it as a Christmas present of the old man so think it's about time I started it.  :lol:

I read it last year and thought it was brilliant. Some of the more recent stuff featuring Ashley is very interesting, if not at all surprising. :lol:
It recently won autobiography of the year in the Telegraph sports books awards as well.

Offline Sean

• General Member
« Reply #5104 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:16:20 pm »

I read it last year and thought it was brilliant. Some of the more recent stuff featuring Ashley is very interesting, if not at all surprising. :lol:
It recently won autobiography of the year in the Telegraph sports books awards as well.

Thanks for the info! Yeah my dad said it was excellent and mentioned it winning something, read a few pages last night and seems good so far...I'm now wondering if there's anything about Ashley in there as he went with Shearer when he became manager.

Edit: only half-read your post before replying...got the answer to my other question too  :lol:
“I think when we score it will be from a penalty or a set play or maybe a shot from the edge of the area or a ricochet. Hopefully.” Alan Pardew, August 2014

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #5105 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 10:46:53 pm »

Thanks for the info! Yeah my dad said it was excellent and mentioned it winning something, read a few pages last night and seems good so far...I'm now wondering if there's anything about Ashley in there as he went with Shearer when he became manager.

Edit: only half-read your post before replying...got the answer to my other question too  :lol:
:lol:
I think anyone with even a passing interest in NUFC will love it. Enjoy!

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #5106 on: Saturday 15 June 2019, 11:37:43 am »
Anybody read any of the McSweeney's books?
I think it's run by Dave Eggers, amongst others.
No?
Just me then...

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #5107 on: Saturday 15 June 2019, 11:54:31 am »
Never heard of them.

Reading Hope in the Dark at the moment, little history of progressive politics and activism. Was written during the W Bush years but redone for today.