Author Topic: Books! The "What are you reading?" thread  (Read 227696 times)

Offline OCK

• General Member
Re: Books! The "What are you reading?" thread
« Reply #5100 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 12:12:24 pm »
I finally started The Wheel of Time. That opening prologue was confusing as hell, I thought I had picked up the wrong book or something. Straight up dead bodies and a person turning into a mountain even before Chapter 1 starts.  :lol:

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #5101 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 12:18:35 pm »
I never got on with Crime and Punishment, might give it another go.

Is IQ84 good? There’s a quote from it in The Big Short so I now want to read it :lol:

Definitely worth it. Scary how much I could see myself in Raskolnikov prior to, and even following the crime. Same with The Outsider by Camus. Can't stop thinking about that book, so short as well - can get through it in 2 hours. Would recommend it to anybody.

Crime & Punishment is incredible and shocking. However, turn to the Epilogue right now, tear out every single page, and let the book end where it should've ended. I freaking hated the ridiculous religiosity of the epilogue.

I liked it  :lol: For me, it provides a resolution of the inner-transformation that begins to take place in Raskolnikov over the final few pages. It somewhat reminded me of the ending of The Outsider by Camus.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #5102 on: Wednesday 20 March 2019, 01:52:42 pm »
Anybody read any of the McSweeney's books?
I think it's run by Dave Eggers, amongst others.

Offline khay

• General Member
« Reply #5103 on: Wednesday 20 March 2019, 09:00:43 pm »
I finally started The Wheel of Time. That opening prologue was confusing as hell, I thought I had picked up the wrong book or something. Straight up dead bodies and a person turning into a mountain even before Chapter 1 starts.  :lol:

Maybe tv show in coming. I got to book 9 twice! But never after, then he died.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #5104 on: Friday 22 March 2019, 09:53:45 am »

Maybe tv show in coming. I got to book 9 twice! But never after, then he died.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a TV deal in the workings. Its been canny so far.

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5105 on: Friday 22 March 2019, 01:38:50 pm »
I've been trying to get back to reading more regularly - here's 2019 so far:

"Shogun" - James Clavell (1,100 pages)
Really enjoyed this. Epic length.  It's the story of a shipwrecked English pilot ship-wrecked in feudal (1600's) Japan.  Fantastic insight into Japanese culture, people and politics.  The author has a bunch of other well-thought-of books set in Asia, in different times. So, have added TaiPan and King Rat (based on the author's time in a notorious WWII Japanese POW camp) to my reading list.
9/10

"How to be a Footballer" - Peter Crouch (300 pages)
The viewpoint is that of a 'normal' person (well, as normal as a seven-foot stick insect gets) describing the insanity of being a professional footballer.  Very funny, plenty of laugh-out-loud moments.  If you've listened to his podcasts, though, you'll already have heard much of this.
7/10

"Battle Scars" - Jason Fox (300 pages)
Kind of liked this, although it's grim reading at times.  It's one of the guys who presents Who Dares Wins, the SAS programme, CH4 I think.  Rather than tales of thrilling behind-the-lines battles, it's an account of the author's struggle with PTSD.  Quite interesting.
6/10

"Shantaram" - Gregory David Roberts (900 pages)
My current read...inspired by Shogun, I decided I rather liked learning about different cultures.  It's the (possibly true) tale of a New Zealand bank-robbing, reformed heroin addict.  On the run, he's ended up in Bombay.  Am absolutely loving the descriptions of his life in India as he starts to descend into the Bombay underworld. Outstanding.
10/10 (so far)

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #5106 on: Friday 22 March 2019, 03:10:59 pm »

Really enjoyed this. Epic length.  It's the story of a shipwrecked English pilot ship-wrecked in feudal (1600's) Japan.  Fantastic insight into Japanese culture, people and politics.  The author has a bunch of other well-thought-of books set in Asia, in different times. So, have added TaiPan and King Rat (based on the author's time in a notorious WWII Japanese POW camp) to my reading list.
9/10

The viewpoint is that of a 'normal' person (well, as normal as a seven-foot stick insect gets) describing the insanity of being a professional footballer.  Very funny, plenty of laugh-out-loud moments.  If you've listened to his podcasts, though, you'll already have heard much of this.
7/10

Kind of liked this, although it's grim reading at times.  It's one of the guys who presents Who Dares Wins, the SAS programme, CH4 I think.  Rather than tales of thrilling behind-the-lines battles, it's an account of the author's struggle with PTSD.  Quite interesting.
6/10

My current read...inspired by Shogun, I decided I rather liked learning about different cultures.  It's the (possibly true) tale of a New Zealand bank-robbing, reformed heroin addict.  On the run, he's ended up in Bombay.  Am absolutely loving the descriptions of his life in India as he starts to descend into the Bombay underworld. Outstanding.
10/10 (so far)

Shogun is f***ing amazing.  @Mike

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #5107 on: Friday 22 March 2019, 05:27:11 pm »
:lol: It's inexplicable that I've never read it.

Finished Kevin. Kid's a t***.

Started Claire North's new one. Forgot the name.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #5108 on: Sunday 24 March 2019, 12:47:01 am »
Finished reading Hadji Murat by Tolstoy earlier. It tells the (true) story of the Chechen warrior Hadji Murad and his people's conflict with the Russian Empire, with whom he forms a rather unstable alliance for reasons of personal revenge after a problem arises with the hierarchy in his native Caucasus.

Whilst it is about the conflict itself, the story is set up around and bookended by a simply genius piece of symbolism/allegory, of which I won't mention as at just over 100 pages, this book is a must-read. A masterpiece.

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Telling it how it isn't
« Reply #5109 on: Sunday 24 March 2019, 12:54:22 am »

9/10

7/10

6/10

10/10 (so far)

Shogun is f***ing amazing.  @Mike

Agreed. One of those books that I like to read  every 5 years or so. Despite some early 80’s cheese, the miniseries is worth watching.
Not one of the cool kids, and really insecure about it.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #5110 on: Monday 25 March 2019, 12:03:32 pm »

9/10

7/10

6/10

10/10 (so far)

Shantaram is tremendous. Have you read 'A Fine Balance' by Rohinton Mistry?

Offline Munkey

• General Member
« Reply #5111 on: Monday 25 March 2019, 12:17:58 pm »
Shogun is a quality book. Tai-Pain and Noble house are great as well. Noble House is complicated as hell with so many threads of plotlines running through it. took me a few reads to get them all. it's another epic though - think it's longer than Shogun

Gai-Jin is the poorest of the lot - acts as a bridge between Tai-Pan and Noble House.

just never watch the TV series of either Tai-Pan or Noble House...christ, they're terrible.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #5112 on: Tuesday 26 March 2019, 09:16:44 am »
Always go back to Francis Wheen at times like we're going through now, to remind me that nothing ever really changes.  Strange Days Indeed, his study of paranoia and pessimism in the 70s is particularly appropriate at the minute.  How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered The World, about the 80s and 90s and the way that language and perception started to become more important than actions and outcomes, is one of the best books I've ever read.  He's absolutely brilliant and not afraid of making his own viewpoint obvious (he's even brave enough to have a pop at Noam Chomsky when he deserves it, which not many folk do).

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #5113 on: Saturday 30 March 2019, 08:54:09 pm »
Going through The Acid House by Irvine Welsh at the moment, a collection of his short stories. I've read a few of his books now so I'm used to his style but f*** me some of them are raw:lol:

Offline danny

• General Member
« Reply #5114 on: Saturday 30 March 2019, 11:05:34 pm »
http://www.theallguardsmenparty.com/ this is a wh40k guard story, so its upto you if you wanna click the link, but being a guard player i thought it was wicked 10/10. even if your no a 40k fan give it a try guys
It comming home.....

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #5115 on: Sunday 31 March 2019, 01:53:20 pm »
Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. Interesting premise and does say important things about life as a minority group, but not very well written in terms of style. Makes me think I should definitely write a novel.

Offline wibble

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #5116 on: Sunday 31 March 2019, 02:13:19 pm »
Shantaram is tremendous. Have you read 'A Fine Balance' by Rohinton Mistry?

No, hadn't heard of it - I'll add it to my reading list.  Thanks.

Online DMC

• General Member
« Reply #5117 on: Sunday 31 March 2019, 05:52:45 pm »
Always go back to Francis Wheen at times like we're going through now, to remind me that nothing ever really changes.  Strange Days Indeed, his study of paranoia and pessimism in the 70s is particularly appropriate at the minute. How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered The World, about the 80s and 90s and the way that language and perception started to become more important than actions and outcomes, is one of the best books I've ever read.  He's absolutely brilliant and not afraid of making his own viewpoint obvious (he's even brave enough to have a pop at Noam Chomsky when he deserves it, which not many folk do).
That's an outstanding book, made me laugh out loud in places not sure it was meant to be intentionally funny but his analysis of how we've arrived at he political/social/news media and academia we have to day has a dark humour. Must add Strange Days Indeed to my list of books to read.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #5118 on: Sunday 31 March 2019, 06:34:30 pm »
Oh, he's funny as f*** and was definitely trying to make you laugh.  I don't agree with him on everything, of course (the bit where he effectively agrees with legendarily po-faced Richard Dawkins equating the supernatural explanation for all XFiles episodes with a theoretical series where the bad guy is always black was particularly difficult) but the good bits - the birth of New Labour, Enron, Princess Diana - are really excellent.

Strange Days Indeed is very much a companion volume on the 70s and together they should be required reading for anyone who thinks that politics today are so very different to how they've been in the past.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #5119 on: Saturday 11 May 2019, 12:41:55 am »
Wow, had to delve all the way to page 3 to find this thread and some of the forums best threads are now on page 2.....anyway,

Isabel Hardman's "Why we get the wrong politicians" . Great read for anyone with a political interest, quite eye opening and sketches the problems well. I'm still mulling over the solutions which were only about 5 pages worth but made sense.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Sean

• General Member
« Reply #5120 on: Tuesday 11 June 2019, 08:52:36 pm »
Just about to start reading "The Boy on the Shed" by Paul Ferris. Got it as a Christmas present of the old man so think it's about time I started it.  :lol:

Guessing a few on here will have read it before, any good?
“I think when we score it will be from a penalty or a set play or maybe a shot from the edge of the area or a ricochet. Hopefully.” Alan Pardew, August 2014

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #5121 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 01:49:16 pm »
Just about to start reading "The Boy on the Shed" by Paul Ferris. Got it as a Christmas present of the old man so think it's about time I started it.  :lol:

I read it last year and thought it was brilliant. Some of the more recent stuff featuring Ashley is very interesting, if not at all surprising. :lol:
It recently won autobiography of the year in the Telegraph sports books awards as well.

Offline Sean

• General Member
« Reply #5122 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:16:20 pm »

I read it last year and thought it was brilliant. Some of the more recent stuff featuring Ashley is very interesting, if not at all surprising. :lol:
It recently won autobiography of the year in the Telegraph sports books awards as well.

Thanks for the info! Yeah my dad said it was excellent and mentioned it winning something, read a few pages last night and seems good so far...I'm now wondering if there's anything about Ashley in there as he went with Shearer when he became manager.

Edit: only half-read your post before replying...got the answer to my other question too  :lol:
“I think when we score it will be from a penalty or a set play or maybe a shot from the edge of the area or a ricochet. Hopefully.” Alan Pardew, August 2014

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #5123 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 10:46:53 pm »

Thanks for the info! Yeah my dad said it was excellent and mentioned it winning something, read a few pages last night and seems good so far...I'm now wondering if there's anything about Ashley in there as he went with Shearer when he became manager.

Edit: only half-read your post before replying...got the answer to my other question too  :lol:
:lol:
I think anyone with even a passing interest in NUFC will love it. Enjoy!

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #5124 on: Yesterday at 11:37:43 am »
Anybody read any of the McSweeney's books?
I think it's run by Dave Eggers, amongst others.
No?
Just me then...