Author Topic: Chelsea 2-0 Newcastle United - 15/02/21 - post match pg16 and on  (Read 5474 times)

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
Re: Chelsea 2-0 Newcastle United - 15/02/21 - post match pg16 and on
« Reply #450 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 10:41:25 AM »
Steve said that there were a lot of positives.

He's delighted that Jones is looking as s*** as himself [without the services of the only competent forward on the books].

Offline Fantail Breeze

• General Member
« Reply #451 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 10:41:45 AM »
Yep Kovacic was really good I thought.

Not been the easiest two games to judge Willock yet

The positive with him is he looks really keen to get forward. The negative is he’ll not often be able to do so with Bruce in charge :lol:

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • "Nice and decent." Disco, Feb 2021
« Reply #452 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 10:45:45 AM »
Each passing day I'm becoming more of a football neutral. The last bit of love I had for Newcastle is slowly evading.

:lol: Aye I didn't hate watching the game last night. I knew we'd lose and hold the view that there were no meaningful consequences from the defeat either, so I quite enjoyed seeing how Chelsea operated, and was really impressed with Tuchel's post-match interview.

Online ManDoon

• General Member
  • pls die DT
« Reply #453 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 10:49:39 AM »
I didn't see the game (thankfully), did he really play Gayle wide?
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Online Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #454 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 10:50:59 AM »

Aye. Pardew playing Cisse wide levels of incompetence  :lol:
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Online ManDoon

• General Member
  • pls die DT
« Reply #455 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 10:53:16 AM »
f***ing hell :lol: he has literally zero attribrutes to play there, he's a goal poacher and an avergae one. Grim
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #456 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 10:54:48 AM »
You're doing a good job of giving us a miss lately (feel like I've seen you comment a few times regarding not watching the game). I can't help myself... A glutton for punishment.
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Online St1pe

• General Member
« Reply #457 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 10:55:22 AM »

It was the same role Wilson has played but Gayle did it much worse. He didn’t really make the runs Wilson was or track back so he was just f***ing useless at it. It could have been Chelsea’s system and wingbacks making him look so poor mind.

I feel like I still mentally view Gayle as the Championship version of him and am surprised at how rubbish he is every time he comes on as sub or starts.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #458 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 10:57:05 AM »

It was the same role Wilson has played but Gayle did it much worse. He didn’t really make the runs Wilson was or track back so he was just f***ing useless at it. It could have been Chelsea’s system and wingbacks making him look so poor mind.

I feel like I still mentally view Gayle as the Championship version of him and am surprised at how rubbish he is every time he comes on as sub or starts.

That's very kind tbh. If Gayle was twice the player he is, he still wouldn't be on Wilson's level.

Online ManDoon

• General Member
  • pls die DT
« Reply #459 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 10:59:46 AM »
You're doing a good job of giving us a miss lately (feel like I've seen you comment a few times regarding not watching the game). I can't help myself... A glutton for punishment.

Yeah, I actually have missed the last couple after tuning in to the others for some reason. It's just depressing, I'm still watching football, just not us  :lol:

Online ManDoon

• General Member
  • pls die DT
« Reply #460 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 11:01:52 AM »

Yeah he just doesn't have the intelligent movement of Wilson, who imo has super underrated movement that I never noticed when he played for Bournemouth. I can't imaginge Gayle getting a kick playing that role. Agree yeah, he's like a Nugent/Ebanks Blake to me. Stuck between being too good for the Champ and not good enough for the Prem

Offline Gallowgate Toon

• General Member
  • London
« Reply #461 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 11:24:43 AM »
I still quite liked the look of Willock last night, tbh, in the rare instances he was on the ball. Seems to have good footballing basics, athleticism, and the will/lungs to get forward into decent positions.

Offline Cronky

• General Member
« Reply #462 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 11:36:24 AM »
I still quite liked the look of Willock last night, tbh, in the rare instances he was on the ball. Seems to have good footballing basics, athleticism, and the will/lungs to get forward into decent positions.

Yeah, he was actually the one who came closest to scoring. On two occasions.
People generalise too much.

Offline robbo_11

• General Member
« Reply #463 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 11:54:23 AM »
It was a tough watch to get through the 90 minutes, but couple observations. It became apparent in the first half that Chelsea would have success attacking our right hand side and realistically we didn't do anything to counter that. The team shape often got disjointed, but most likely due to Chelsea passing through us - however it started from our own high press on occasions. It looked like Willock and Almiron were often the front two, but this left our right side exposed once they bypassed our attack on the counter. Gayle on the right side didn't work and neither did the long ball forward as Rudiger was often there first.

Chelsea were just too good for us - however concern is this new style is just going to be the only way we play as opposed to thinking about the opposition. The concern would be that we're just not good enough and any injury heightens that such as losing Wilson and to an extent Manquillo who has had a decent season so far.

Offline huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #464 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 01:48:28 PM »
from the first minute of the game all it was "decimated with injuries" and "patched together team" from the commentators.
ffs other than gayle, every player on the pitch has been picked as first choice by The Mess at some time during the season.
and which other team hasnt been affected?

i even heard them defending joelinton saying he hadnt had many chances.

what power has this c*** got over the media?
john gibson in the chronicle this afternoon;
"John Carver has talked of playing two up top in an effort to score goals, tactically be more direct to grind out points, and just about every other possibility known to man or beast. They are the ramblings of a drowning desperado."

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #465 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 01:57:42 PM »
from the first minute of the game all it was "decimated with injuries" and "patched together team" from the commentators.
ffs other than gayle, every player on the pitch has been picked as first choice by The Mess at some time during the season.

I don't even think it's born out of their love for Steve Bruce, but more their contempt for Rafa Benitez and the deluded Geordies.

Offline KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
  • This is not a "dog chasing a balloon".
« Reply #466 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 02:01:45 PM »
Nah, he sucks up to everyone all the time, other managers included, and always plays up the hard done by woe is me angle, so they all feel like they have to protect him or something.

Whole thing is just weird.
I'll be watching the games, and I'll be talking about the teams. If it's a disaster it will be quite humorous and exactly what Mike Ashley deserves and to be honest I'll quite enjoy it. I am totally indifferent to results and the team success going forward.

Now, in certain games should the team do well, I will be happy more for the players, because I feel bad for them mostly, and I still want to see some of them do well. I will still feel comfortable giving the team credit when they do well. I just don't care about any outcome at this point and none of my money goes into anything to do with Mike Ashley's operations.

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #467 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 02:11:39 PM »
If we were going to keep the same system then you play Joelinton or Fraser where Wilson was. If not, you change the system to get the best out the players available so that probably means Gayle as CF and ASM, Fraser as wingers. Almiron as a 10. Willock and Hayden in midfield. f***ing simple eh?
N U F C

Offline marki

• General Member
« Reply #468 on: Tuesday 16 February 2021, 06:33:30 PM »

na probly because he was long time servant of man u he cant do any wrong

Offline The Prophet

• General Member
  • 'How's the bacon?' Did you say?
« Reply #469 on: Wednesday 17 February 2021, 01:36:15 PM »
Absolutely, he clearly has decent connections in the media, including a lot of friends and ex-collegues.

While I don't expect them to be calling him out, they certainly shouldn't be making excuses for his prehistoric managerial preferences.