Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 177653 times)

DIFKO, Doctor Zaius (+ 2 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #4575 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 09:29:22 PM »
The article says it reduces vaccine antibody effectiveness by 50%, it doesn't completely 'evade' them. In comparison the South African variant reduces the effectiveness by 83ish percent (according to the article).  It's not great news but the tweet is unnecessarily alarmist.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • jerk who hates food pics
« Reply #4576 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 09:30:54 PM »
I really wish people I trust would quit sharing these things with me :lol:
Nah f*** this, worst poster nominations are back.
One year I deliberately made no posts in the general chat thread so I couldn’t be nominated for it, I still f***ing won.

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
« Reply #4577 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 09:31:32 PM »
Pretty sure that's also been the main variant, at least in California, for months now, so we're already seeing most of those negative effects.

Offline relámpago blanco

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
  • aka Gorilla
« Reply #4578 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 09:36:55 PM »
Pretty sure that's also been the main variant, at least in California, for months now, so we're already seeing most of those negative effects.
Makes sense as California accounts for almost 10% of deaths from Covid in the US.

Online leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #4579 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 09:37:54 PM »
Makes sense as California accounts for almost 10% of deaths from Covid in the US.

California accounts for more than 10% of people in the US though :lol:.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
  • You can’t understand white without knowing black
« Reply #4580 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 09:39:32 PM »
I remember Dr Troll saying Dr Ding was a, and I’ll use the scientific term, “daft c***”.

:lol: :lol:

Offline relámpago blanco

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
  • aka Gorilla
« Reply #4581 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 09:41:00 PM »
The article says it reduces vaccine antibody effectiveness by 50%, it doesn't completely 'evade' them. In comparison the South African variant reduces the effectiveness by 83ish percent (according to the article).  It's not great news but the tweet is unnecessarily alarmist.
No but it reduces hospitalisation by 84 or 94% with Pfizer and Astrazeneca respectively against the UK variant for example after 1 dose.  SA have made a grave error in refusing the AZ Vaccine as its actually more effective against preventing hospitalizations after 1 dose after a 3 weeks than Pfizer.

No data on how it performs against the SA variant.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4582 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 09:53:36 PM »

They've only tested the antibody effectiveness in a test tube.  I think it's the same for the Oxford/SA variant.  Means very little until we know how it actually affects vaccinated people.

Online loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
« Reply #4583 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 09:56:43 PM »

They've only tested the antibody effectiveness in a test tube.  I think it's the same for the Oxford/SA variant.  Means very little until we know how it actually affects vaccinated people.

Aye, I was just pointing out that the wording in the tweet isn't particularly representative of the information in the article.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline Paully

• General Member
« Reply #4584 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 08:29:18 AM »
Shame the other govt clowns weren’t like Van-Tam! Excellent just there on GMB!

Offline relámpago blanco

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
  • aka Gorilla
« Reply #4585 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 08:42:53 AM »

California accounts for more than 10% of people in the US though :lol:.
I did not know that

Offline relámpago blanco

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
  • aka Gorilla
« Reply #4586 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 09:15:07 AM »
Van Tam is class during this Q&A session.

"How will I know this won't effect my risk of infertility"

"That is simply not biologically logical, however, if you are in one of the at risk groups, getting covid does affect your long term chances of life.

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #4587 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 09:30:14 AM »
Stamp duty holiday to be extended until June :lol: :thup:

Sunak helping all his mates get their house purchases through

Online Slim

• General Member
« Reply #4588 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 11:06:21 AM »

Always struck me as strange why we even need a Stamp duty holiday because of a pandemic.  Like selling a house is not really essential is it?

Offline Matt

• General Member
« Reply #4589 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 11:21:56 AM »
Like selling a house is not really essential is it?

It's pretty essential if you need to move. I need to have sold up by the end of August, so will probably miss any upside from the extension but it doesn't change the underlying circumstances.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #4590 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 11:22:31 AM »
Got to get that second home to diversify your portfolio.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
« Reply #4591 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 11:31:00 AM »
We’ve banked a lot of our economic prospects on the housing market, as unfair as that is.

Personally please because I’ve been procrastinating on moving and would’ve missed the end of March. Handy to have a bit longer.

Online kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #4592 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 11:31:36 AM »

I'm buying a house in my old home town, where property is still very cheap.
My solicitor phoned me yesterday, and said in order to speed the process up so that I can complete before the end of the Stamp Duty holiday, they can guarantee to do this...for £300.
I didn't bother as the property I'm buying doesn't qualify, but imagine all the poor b******s who payed an extra £300 trying to claw it back this morning.

Offline Colo's Short and Curlies

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
« Reply #4593 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 11:33:59 AM »
We’ve banked a lot of our economic prospects on the housing market, as unfair as that is.

Personally please because I’ve been procrastinating on moving and would’ve missed the end of March. Handy to have a bit longer.

Even with an extension to June, unless you have a very simple move you've probably got to the end of March to have solicitors working on a property for you to guarantee meeting the deadline.

It really should have been an extension to cover purchases where a sale was agreed to the end of March for however long it takes to complete
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

Offline Matt

• General Member
« Reply #4594 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 11:42:55 AM »
Stamp duties in general are an anachronism and should be binned entirely, not just SDLT. I have lived in my house for nine years- why should someone who by circumstance had to move twice in that period pay over and over again?

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #4595 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 11:43:27 AM »

I sold my flat, full price in 2 days. The market is absolutely crazy right now.

Tried to book a viewing on a property, was under offer after 1 hour and sold after 2  :lol:

Online kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #4596 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 12:11:01 PM »

I sold my flat, full price in 2 days. The market is absolutely crazy right now.

Tried to book a viewing on a property, was under offer after 1 hour and sold after 2  :lol:

I think the area I've bought in is a depressed market.
The property - a 3 bed terraced house with big garden - had been reduced by £10,000. We offered £7,000 under the asking to 'get things started' - expecting a bit of to and fro, but the guy accepted the offer straight away.

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #4597 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 12:40:20 PM »

Always struck me as strange why we even need a Stamp duty holiday because of a pandemic.  Like selling a house is not really essential is it?

It can be essential for many reasons. My sister's lad is selling a house inherited from his dad because he's not been working during the pandemic and they need the sale money to help pay their own mortgage rather than getting by just on her wages. The buyer intends to move in a family member who is also struggling financially due to loss of income.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
« Reply #4598 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 12:44:45 PM »
The amount of businesses and shops tied into the housing market is crazy as well. Everything from estate agents and solicitors to DIY shops, furniture and tradespeople. Massive chunk of economic activity, and something that can continue relatively safely.

Online Slim

• General Member
« Reply #4599 on: Wednesday 24 February 2021, 01:07:59 PM »

It can be essential for many reasons. My sister's lad is selling a house inherited from his dad because he's not been working during the pandemic and they need the sale money to help pay their own mortgage rather than getting by just on her wages. The buyer intends to move in a family member who is also struggling financially due to loss of income.

Sorry I meant stamp duty holiday is not essential.  Why is it needed during Covid more than any other time? People have been buying and selling houses for years and paid it.

Plus first time buyers don't pay it so only really seems to benefit people already with a house.