Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 171859 times)

Boosden, Lush Vlad, mattypnufc and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #4500 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 10:57:12 AM »
Yeah even for me that's a bit soon I reckon. To be honest I wish they'd just delay the Euros until next summer. World Cup is in the winter anyway, just rejig the league seasons a bit.

Got to get that Nations League in for the $$$.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #4501 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 10:58:38 AM »
If they're going to reopen schools in a fortnight, I really don't know why they've not set aside one or two days and just vaccinated as many school staff as possible. At the rate they've been going they could have done first doses for the lot in a couple of days.

Imagine the fewm. People would be going absolutely acka.

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #4502 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:06:42 AM »
Yeah even for me that's a bit soon I reckon. To be honest I wish they'd just delay the Euros until next summer. World Cup is in the winter anyway, just rejig the league seasons a bit.

Imagine that would only be with rapid tests etc outside

Which by that point and all the vaccinations I can’t see why that wouldn’t be ok- we have to go back to normal life at one point
Follow me on twitter @tgarve

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #4503 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:06:52 AM »
If they're going to reopen schools in a fortnight, I really don't know why they've not set aside one or two days and just vaccinated as many school staff as possible. At the rate they've been going they could have done first doses for the lot in a couple of days.

Could make that argument about all key workers.

Always seemed a slightly strange concept to me that the priority was to vaccinate the people who were shielding before the people who couldn't, but I do understand that in the first instance this was all about reducing deaths and protecting hospitals. Surely now though they can change the vaccination rollout plan and ensure any front line staff are prioritised?

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #4504 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:10:23 AM »

Always seemed a slightly strange concept to me that the priority was to vaccinate the people who were shielding before the people who couldn't, but I do understand that in the first instance this was all about reducing deaths and protecting hospitals. Surely now though they can change the vaccination rollout plan and ensure any front line staff are prioritised?
I'm a key worker and we have e a series of measures put in place to avoid interaction etc that I'm pretty sure couldn't be put in place in schools and wouldn't want to be.
I've no issue with school workers being prioritised over those who work in the role that I do.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #4505 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:12:13 AM »

I'm a key worker and we have e a series of measures put in place to avoid interaction etc that I'm pretty sure couldn't be put in place in schools and wouldn't want to be.
I've no issue with school workers being prioritised over those who work in the role that I do.

No, absolutely, I believe teachers should be vaccinated first. Then other key workers. Shouldn't be on age groups now the vulnerable age groups are vaccinated imo.

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #4506 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:12:39 AM »
Like bar staff :lol:

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #4507 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:14:23 AM »

I don't agree, schools are massive drivers of transmission unlike most other key worker roles which don't involve spending all day in large groups with people who won't/can't socially distance.

The common denominator separating the measures that have reduced transmission and those that haven't (the tier system etc) is the schools.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #4508 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:15:34 AM »
I don't agree, schools are massive drivers of transmission unlike most other key worker roles which don't involve spending all day in large groups with people who won't/can't socially distance.

The only common denominator between the measures that have reduced transmission and those that haven't is the schools.

Which bit didn't you agree with? I said teachers should be vaccinated as a priority.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #4509 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:18:01 AM »
Sorry, I amended my post to include your quote. I think we generally agree but I think school staff are in a fundamentally different position from most other key workers.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #4510 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:18:41 AM »
Sorry, I amended my post to include your quote. I think we generally agree but I think school staff are in a fundamentally different position from most other key workers.

I agree with this.  Teachers and school staff should be vaccinated as a priority.

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #4511 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:19:12 AM »

Ahh ok. I expanded in my next post.

My family are all teachers, so I do have understandable sympathy with them anyway.

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #4512 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:19:56 AM »

I agree with this.  Teachers and school staff should be vaccinated as a priority.

I'm not disagreeing :lol:

No, absolutely, I believe teachers should be vaccinated first. Then other key workers. Shouldn't be on age groups now the vulnerable age groups are vaccinated imo.

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #4513 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:21:25 AM »
Why do you hate teachers so much @Shearergol ?
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #4514 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:22:29 AM »

Offline St. Maximin

• General Member
« Reply #4515 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:25:59 AM »
So we're essentially going back to the level of restrictions that didn't work to contain the Kent strain before this lockdown but we're still at 10k positive tests per day and now the Kent strain is the dominant strain everywhere and we'll have 25% of the population walking around with partial immunity thinking they're invincible. What could possibly go wrong?

33% of adults already vaccinated, the groups responsible for 90% of deaths have all been vaccinated, that will increase by the time the Schools go back and even further again by the time the next set of restrictions are lifted. The objective was always stopping the NHS from being overwhelmed which should be the case moving forwards.

Setting the objective as being the NHS not being overwhelmed has resulted in 120,000 deaths. It is a lagging indicator, if the NHS is anywhere near being overwhelmed we're already at the point where we have 2 months+ of 500+ deaths per day, 15,000+ deaths per month, and countless other people being left with long term heath conditions. The objective should have and should be to get a keep case levels down to a level that can be controlled by testing and tracing. Each time we have left our lockdowns far too late and come out of them too soon, and we've clearly haven't learnt any lessons from that either in the government, scientific community or population.
We have had three technical lockdowns and I agree we've locked down too late each time. Saying that we've had fairly tight restrictions since September in many areas of the country before this lockdown came into place and I don't see this as being too soon at present. By the time we can merely do things like meet in groups of six outside, the lockdown will have gone on nearly three months (longer for those in tier four), which is longer than we had last year. We have an excellent vaccine programme with studies producing more positive results, plus better understanding of how to treat covid, so this isn't the same. It's been an awful winter and people just need some hope and optimism - I'm not some covid-denier or someone who thinks lockdowns don't work ignoring all the evidence, but the harm they cause is pretty apparent and if they keep going on they are taking significant parts away from people's lives.

Ultimately everyone's situation is different and we all have different priorities. People who are vulnerable or have vulnerable family members have every right to be concerned for their well-being when restrictions are eased, while people fearing for their jobs shouldn't feel guilty when they are told they can open up their businesses also. Personally I think the government have approached this well (for once), but fully accept I could be wrong about that as I have been before.

Offline relámpago blanco

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
  • aka Gorilla
« Reply #4516 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:27:45 AM »
Why do you hate teachers so much @Shearergol ?
Know it all w*****s innit

Offline Anon

• General Member
« Reply #4517 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:27:50 AM »
I think I mentioned earlier in the year, but the main issue within schools is that a low percentage of staff absence renders the school unworkable. They have now changed the guidance that the LFTs won't be used to keep close contact students and staff in school so they still have to isolate for 10 days. So, we're back to how it was (albeit with a few vulnerable staff vaccinated) before this lockdown with a more contagious variant and more testing which will pick up more cases. If teachers don't get bumped up the list, they will still keep getting sent home and schools will be sending kids home. I'm personally in no rush to jump the queue myself, but I can't see any other solution?

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #4518 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:30:32 AM »
So they are talking about having 90k of fans at Wembley in June for the Euros.  That's far far too quick imo.

International fans or just British fans?

Offline Cf

• General Member
« Reply #4519 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:36:13 AM »
Labour have been calling for teachers to be vaccinated for a while. Isn't going to happen.

And for it to actually be effective it needed to have happened by now. Or at least get started right this minute.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #4520 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:37:38 AM »
So they are talking about having 90k of fans at Wembley in June for the Euros.  That's far far too quick imo.

International fans or just British fans?

Think just British fans.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #4521 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:39:05 AM »
It's not helped by loads of posts on the likes of FB about how things WILL be open by certain dates as opposed to "no earlier than".

Love how people can hear a particular set of words and then get a completely different meaning from them.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Online St1pe

• General Member
« Reply #4522 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:39:54 AM »
I’m surprised at the amount of collective Stockholm syndrome that seems to have taken place on social media because Boris has set out a roadmap to lift restrictions he’s imposed. Everyone seems happy to forgot how woeful this government have been because the carrot of being allowed out has been dangled.

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #4523 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:41:48 AM »
I’m surprised at the amount of collective Stockholm syndrome that seems to have taken place on social media because Boris has set out a roadmap to lift restrictions he’s imposed. Everyone seems happy to forgot how woeful this government have been because the carrot of being allowed out has been dangled.

Can’t blame people for having hope
Follow me on twitter @tgarve

Online St1pe

• General Member
« Reply #4524 on: Tuesday 23 February 2021, 11:44:16 AM »
It’s honestly not the hope side of because I, like pretty much everyone else, got a massive boost from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. It shouldn’t be forgotten how bad this government have been though. I’ve seen a lot of pro-Boris status because of it and it just seems mental to me. There has to be accountability.