Author Topic: COVID-19  (Read 121625 times)

NEEJ, Greg, Pokerprince2004 (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
Re: COVID-19
« Reply #2500 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 08:11:48 PM »
The management has been criminal. We’re an extremely rich island nation, perfectly placed to control something like this.

Offline duo

• General Member
« Reply #2501 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 08:25:39 PM »
Remember these daily death figures are those who died with 28 days of catching Covid.  True figure will be much higher. :(

Offline Decky

• General Member
« Reply #2502 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 09:02:24 PM »
The situation with hospitals in Northern Ireland is totally out of control.

Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.

Online Matt

• General Member
« Reply #2503 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 09:33:53 PM »
It wasn't much of a secret, but now it's on the record

Default back to July 2020 mode, get everyone back out-it's your duty. It's terrifying stuff- hundreds of thousands of people seriously ill, hospitals will still be under pressure, schools almost certain to be subject to industrial action. What a shitshow.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #2504 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 09:41:46 PM »
That's a f***ing awful article.  None of her quotes match up with any of their terrible reporting or conclusions.  I mean, we're under indefinite lockdown, how does that match up with the herd immunity strategy?
« Last Edit: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 09:54:26 PM by Troll »

Online Matt

• General Member
« Reply #2505 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 09:58:17 PM »
Yeah I really should have read it  :lol:

However, my big concern is still that government will go for the big push once the phase 1 vaccines have had a chance to take effect rather than a cautious approach.

Online Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
« Reply #2506 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 10:05:08 PM »
My 95 year old great aunt is in hospital with it. My uncle has had an operation to remove his prostate indefinitely postponed due to shortage of bed space.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2507 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 10:06:10 PM »
My 95 year old great aunt is in hospital with it. My uncle has had an operation to remove his prostate indefinitely postponed due to shortage of bed space.

Sorry to hear that man.

Online Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
« Reply #2508 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 10:08:53 PM »
Cheers. It’s so sad what’s happening to cancer patients at the moment. That stress must be indescribable.

Offline Abra Dubravka

• General Member
« Reply #2509 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 10:59:00 PM »
Honestly curious here, to those more in the know... should we have closed our borders down when the virus first came prevalent in Italy, and we started seeing cases rise here?

To me it seems too obvious that as an Island, we should have restricted who was coming into the country, and tested/quarantined those who did. What were the objections to this being put in place last March? Seems backward that the measures now in place on borders wasn't in place in time for the first lockdown. Restrict movement within the UK to 'control' a virus, but comparatively unrestricted movement from the outside in.

Offline Neil

• General Member
  • The stretched twig of peace is at melting point
« Reply #2510 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 11:04:07 PM »
Honestly curious here, to those more in the know... should we have closed our borders down when the virus first came prevalent in Italy, and we started seeing cases rise here?

To me it seems too obvious that as an Island, we should have restricted who was coming into the country, and tested/quarantined those who did. What were the objections to this being put in place last March? Seems backward that the measures now in place on borders wasn't in place in time for the first lockdown. Restrict movement within the UK to 'control' a virus, but comparatively unrestricted movement from the outside in.

A total and wilful negligence from the government who never took it seriously and thought it would just go away and thought putting any restrictions in place would hurt their business interests.
Thomas the Tank Engine is a f***ing c***.

Online Cf

• General Member
« Reply #2511 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 11:05:38 PM »
You elect a clown and this happens.

The border thing really is battling with the amount of "take control of our borders" rhetoric.

Offline Neil

• General Member
  • The stretched twig of peace is at melting point
« Reply #2512 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 11:08:04 PM »

The border thing really is battling with the amount of "take control of our borders" rhetoric.

This is the sick joke to it all. If ever there was a time we needed to very strictly take control of our borders and we did f*** all. Astonishing.
Thomas the Tank Engine is a f***ing c***.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #2513 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 11:20:47 PM »
1,500 plus daily deaths man Jesus. I remember 700 a day rightly been shocking to everyone in April now we are 9 months on and it’s doubled. I honestly never thought we would be in this state at this point.

I just don’t get how it pretty much went from July to like October time as cases and deaths were really really low. I remember thinking last summer that’s it just about over or at least past the worst of it!

Here’s a question, what would happen and be the plan if we didn’t have a vaccine?! Just lockdown for the foreseeable? Or wait for herd immunity. Surely with the level of daily cases we are seeing we would reach near enough herd immunity by the end of this year anyhow?

This view was widespread in the UK and no disrespect but it was always completely and utterly mad.

In around November 2019 this thing existed at some point in a single individual in China. By March 2020 it had brought most of the developed world to a complete standstill. The idea going around widely in summer that we could now just live with several hundred new cases each day and basically go back to normal without it taking off again was absolutely deranged.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #2514 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 11:30:37 PM »

This is the sick joke to it all. If ever there was a time we needed to very strictly take control of our borders and we did f*** all. Astonishing.

Offline Abra Dubravka

• General Member
« Reply #2515 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 11:40:00 PM »

Totally baffling how disjointed it all is. What's the exact delay? Ignoring the fact they should have been done 10months ago, stronger lockdown measures were implemented last week were they not, then is the time to roll this out. Not a bit here, bit there...

It's just losing trust in the nation. People will see flights coming into their local airport from all across Europe/World, see their high street and community decimated, Police being heavy-handed in issuing fines and just lose complete trust in anything the government is advising.

North of the border, Sturgeon now saying you should question whether going out for exercise is actually essential, all the while flights into Glasgow go unchecked.

Online Thomson Mouse

• General Member
  • Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #2516 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 11:47:33 PM »

A total and wilful negligence from the government who never took it seriously and thought it would just go away and thought putting any restrictions in place would hurt their business interests.

Pretty much it.

Why Gove hasn’t been destroyed for his ‘run it hot’ comment now is incredible.
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

Online r0cafella

• General Member
« Reply #2517 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 12:01:14 AM »

Pretty much it.

Why Gove hasn’t been destroyed for his ‘run it hot’ comment now is incredible.

Destroyed by whom? The right wing media? :lol:

The Journalists in the UK are on the whole a disgrace to the profession. They don’t want to be critical as they don’t want to lose access. The same thing we see in the football media we see in the political media as well.

Only the fringe attempt to hold the government accountable and of course they are massively drown out by the rest of them.
United we stand, divided we fall.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #2518 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 12:04:48 AM »

A few months back a guy over here asked me how things were in Australia. I told him that there were some advantages to being a relatively isolated island with a relatively small population and they’d (broadly) closed down the borders sharpish. He said that we (the US) should have closed the borders too and went on an extended rant about expelling all immigrants etc. No sense of irony. I was obviously the right kind of immigrant.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Online Paulie Walnuts

• General Member
« Reply #2519 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 01:09:34 AM »

And he boasted about shaking hands with corona virus victims (though seem to recall it was yet another porky).

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #2520 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 09:40:49 AM »
Travel not restricted to UK because of 'economic burden'

Safeguarding Minister Victoria Atkins is speaking to Sky News.

Ms Atkins said travel has not been restricted more because there is a "delicate balancing act of controlling the virus and not putting too much of a burden on the economy".

Giz us your money Brazil.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #2521 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 09:47:03 AM »
Are we counting deaths differently to other countries ? I know our government has been massively slow to act on many occasions but the current death rate seems enormous and we can't be doing that much different to other European countries

Oddly, the total of deaths seems to be slowing, while the amount of infections goes up.
The Tories have decades of previous when it comes to altering stats to show themselves in a more favourable light, so almost certain the amount of deaths in a lot higher than the official figures.

Offline bobbydazzla

• General Member
« Reply #2522 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 10:01:01 AM »
Are we counting deaths differently to other countries ? I know our government has been massively slow to act on many occasions but the current death rate seems enormous and we can't be doing that much different to other European countries

Oddly, the total of deaths seems to be slowing, while the amount of infections goes up.
The Tories have decades of previous when it comes to altering stats to show themselves in a more favourable light, so almost certain the amount of deaths in a lot higher than the official figures.

Where have you seen deaths slowing but infections rising ?

The current data shows that deaths are rising but infections slowing....

And we can't compare current infections and deaths to March / April and there was very limited testing back then

Online Sima

• General Member
« Reply #2523 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 11:03:40 AM »
Travel not restricted to UK because of 'economic burden'

Safeguarding Minister Victoria Atkins is speaking to Sky News.

Ms Atkins said travel has not been restricted more because there is a "delicate balancing act of controlling the virus and not putting too much of a burden on the economy".

Giz us your money Brazil.

:lol:

Just confirming what we already knew.

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #2524 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 11:04:22 AM »
I can't work out why people are claiming unemployment has gone up because of this? It seems like most of the parents at my lad's school managed to get themselves key worker roles since the last lockdown so they can send their kids into school.

I know for a fact that a number of these parents didn't/don't work, so why the f*** are their kids going to school whilst I'm working full time (as a key worker) and home schooling a 4 year old? Uptake in his class looks to be around 50%. Last time around it was 5%. Mental.