Author Topic: Forum Service Issues and Updates  (Read 55862 times)

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
Re: Forum Service Issues and Updates
« Reply #450 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 04:12:43 PM »
+1 on the migration front. This s*** old af. How we gonna get little kids to sign up and post selfies on a platform that doesn't even allow direct image uploads?

:lol:

not a fan of hosting user images, but signatures and whatever else coming from unsecure sources trigger me hard. SSL warnings all over the shop.

Aye good point. Should def make sure our traffic is encrypted. Well idk what the alternative platform options are, but you'd imagine there are ones that can upload to a source like imgur and automatically t*** in the https url of the image, non?

Offline HUGZ

• Administrator
« Reply #451 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 04:29:15 PM »
+1 on the migration front. This s*** old af. How we gonna get little kids to sign up and post selfies on a platform that doesn't even allow direct image uploads?

not a fan of hosting user images, but signatures and whatever else coming from unsecure sources trigger me hard. SSL warnings all over the shop.

Aye good point. Should def make sure our traffic is encrypted. Well idk what the alternative platform options are, but you'd imagine there are ones that can upload to a source like imgur and automatically t*** in the https url of the image, non?

Yeah, there'll certainly be some third-party integration options available, which would definitely be the way to go.

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Kill Your Masters
« Reply #452 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 04:29:54 PM »
I like how difficult it is for people to post pictures. Stops the simps from spamming it with s*** from their Facebook feeds.
We sit here stranded, though we're all doing our best to deny it

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #453 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 04:37:04 PM »
aye but think of the kids

• General Member
  • Kill Your Masters
« Reply #454 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 04:37:25 PM »

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #455 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 04:39:19 PM »
Who'd go mental at upgrading the site, Hugs? We talking a weak link in admin or just the general population? :shifty:
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #456 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 04:45:18 PM »
it'd be a shame to lose all the historical stuff like. But obviously trimming all that s*** off would make everything endlessly easier.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #457 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 04:47:23 PM »
Also got to face it that it's not 2007 anymore.

Isn't there a way to move the old threads? didn't we do that when we moved here or am I full of s***? I can't really even remember anymore. I'm going to assume not, the doubt has already kicked in. :lol:
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

• General Member
  • Kill Your Masters
« Reply #458 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 05:01:18 PM »
f*** that, migrate the whole f***er. I mean I imagine it's an absolute beast, but it can be split up. Or we can migrate to a new provider and still run this one while the migration to the new server is running. No need to lose stuff.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #459 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 05:12:26 PM »
Are we talking about migrating to a new version of SMF or a better forum platform @HUGZ ?  Guessing if the later then migrating old threads is impossible without a tool to help.
« Last Edit: Friday 22 January 2021, 05:34:11 PM by neesy111 »

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #460 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 05:13:20 PM »
Also, how can donate again for the hosting?  I haven't done so for ages.

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #461 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 05:21:31 PM »
I moaned when Tapatalk got turned off but if moving makes it easier/better then whatever is best.
Bearings Straight!

Offline HUGZ

• Administrator
« Reply #462 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 06:07:28 PM »
Who'd go mental at upgrading the site, Hugs? We talking a weak link in admin or just the general population? :shifty:

Haha, I'm not sure. I just know how fond people are of this place, and those who don't like change.

I'd make sure we kept absolutely everything though. avatars, threads, posts, users etc. There's been too much gold over the years to throw away. I think the only thing people would have to do is reset their password upon first login.

and @neesy111 a new platform definitely, most of the major ones have migration tools built in thankfully, so it shouldn't be too much of a headache! We're already on the newest iteration of SMF believe it or not :lol:

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #463 on: Friday 22 January 2021, 06:13:01 PM »

Haha, I'm not sure. I just know how fond people are of this place, and those who don't like change.

I'd make sure we kept absolutely everything though. avatars, threads, posts, users etc. There's been too much gold over the years to throw away. I think the only thing people would have to do is reset their password upon first login.

and @neesy111 a new platform definitely, most of the major ones have migration tools built in thankfully, so it shouldn't be too much of a headache! We're already on the newest iteration of SMF believe it or not [emoji38]
Jesus about the latest SMF version [emoji38]

Well I'm very happy to help out with with any migration.