Author Topic: The voices of N-O (with bonus prostitutes)  (Read 1817 times)

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
The voices of N-O (with bonus prostitutes)
« on: Friday 13 November 2020, 10:26:28 AM »
Rude.

Offline Sima

• General Member
Re: The voices of N-O (with bonus prostitutes)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 10:30:39 AM »
:lol:

Just checked that.

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 10:38:47 AM »
[emoji38] every American poster is saving that [emoji38]
Bearings Straight!

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 11:16:54 AM »
[emoji38] every American poster is saving that [emoji38]

Exactly what I thought when I saw it :lol:

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 11:33:50 AM »
Makes yer wonder what it's all aboot

That was just a noise.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 01:35:12 PM »

Offline Sima

• General Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 02:27:09 PM »

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 05:57:10 PM »
Found Scouse much harder to understand. Sounded like a different language at times, had no issue talking to anyone in the northeast.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 06:26:58 PM »
Found Scouse much harder to understand. Sounded like a different language at times, had no issue talking to anyone in the northeast.

Yeah, scouse is easily the worst of all the accents to understand.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 06:40:37 PM »
Aberdeen.

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • arf arf
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 07:10:37 PM »
Mind boggling to me how (some of) you lot can name accents down to post codes :lol: I mean, I get that it's due to a lifetime of exposure and actually being your country and all, but it's still crazy to me given we barely even differentiate by state for a lot of accents, with a few notable exceptions, e.g. people - new yorkers mostly :lol: - can tell brooklyn from queens from bronx etc but to me all of the metro northeast is basically the generic Moe Syzlak voice from the Simpsons, it's a very muddled jersey/boston/generic nyc accent.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 07:26:18 PM »
Mind boggling to me how (some of) you lot can name accents down to post codes :lol: I mean, I get that it's due to a lifetime of exposure and actually being your country and all, but it's still crazy to me given we barely even differentiate by state for a lot of accents, with a few notable exceptions, e.g. people - new yorkers mostly :lol: - can tell brooklyn from queens from bronx etc but to me all of the metro northeast is basically the generic Moe Syzlak voice from the Simpsons, it's a very muddled jersey/boston/generic nyc accent.

At least you have some. Australia doesn’t have any regional variation on accent, which is bizarre.

Online thomas

• General Member
  • arf arf
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 07:38:23 PM »

At least you have some. Australia doesn’t have any regional variation on accent, which is bizarre.
Could swear I've read something about that before; how, due to having few large population centres + being a youngish country (relatively speaking) really maturing with the advent of radio+tv, geographical differences really didn't get time or a chance to take hold.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 07:43:37 PM »
Itsvin the ear aswell. Many outside the area can't tell the difference between a Tyneside and Wearside accent but those locally hear a massive difference and that's repeated throughout the country
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 07:43:44 PM »

Could swear I've read something about that before; how, due to having few large population centres + being a youngish country (relatively speaking) really maturing with the advent of radio+tv, geographical differences really didn't get time or a chance to take hold.

Makes sense I guess, will still file under not to be trusted.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 07:55:58 PM »

Didn't know that, interesting. I love how you can track the little differences up the coast from NY Yorks > Middlesbrough > Hartlepool > Durham > Sunderland >Tyneside > Northumberland, then at the border it just becomes completely different, and stays that way over an entire small country, obviously with subtle differences within but still noticeably a Scotch accent. The accent in Eyemouth is closer to John O'Groats than the one in North Yorkshire is to Hartlepool.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Bam Bam.
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 08:10:18 PM »

That's mad.

On what Wullie said about the variations within a small area. Where I work there's me, from Wylam, A mackem and a smoggy. And obviously everyone else says we kinda speak the same but the 3 of us are always mentioning the differences. The biggest one imo is the 'u' sound. I'd say 'Sooper Dooper Compooter' whereas a mackem would say 'Sewper Dewper Compewter'. But you can tell the difference even between North Shields and South Shieds with that example, although the difference being very slight. You dont have to go far to get small variations. And it exagerates as you go south.

I like the Boro example of 'Perple Werk Shert'. Whereas Id say 'Purple Wurk Shert'.
Soon you will find out the man I'm supposed to be.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 08:16:15 PM »
It’s where it changes markedly that always throws me. Boro to Northumberland isn’t the same but has similarities. Liverpool to Manchester might as well be different countries.

Online cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 08:16:38 PM »
We need a thread where we all record ourselves speaking the same sentence so we can hear how different we all sound.

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Bam Bam.
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 08:20:48 PM »
It’s where it changes markedly that always throws me. Boro to Northumberland isn’t the same but has similarities. Liverpool to Manchester might as well be different countries.

:lol: There's a big change but I still do hear similarities between the two. But bang on it changes markedly in no area at all. Like in 4 places, from say Manchester, Warrington, St Helens, Liverpool, there's just massive leaps. And then there's f***ing Wigan :lol:
Soon you will find out the man I'm supposed to be.

Online thomas

• General Member
  • arf arf
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 08:21:42 PM »
We need a thread where we all record ourselves speaking the same sentence so we can hear how different we all sound.
Branko's got me out here slowly mouthing those sentences to myself to hear the differences :lol: :lol:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 08:26:59 PM »

Mind boggling to me how (some of) you lot can name accents down to post codes [emoji38] I mean, I get that it's due to a lifetime of exposure and actually being your country and all, but it's still crazy to me given we barely even differentiate by state for a lot of accents, with a few notable exceptions, e.g. people - new yorkers mostly [emoji38] - can tell brooklyn from queens from bronx etc but to me all of the metro northeast is basically the generic Moe Syzlak voice from the Simpsons, it's a very muddled jersey/boston/generic nyc accent.

That's mad.

On what Wullie said about the variations within a small area. Where I work there's me, from Wylam, A mackem and a smoggy. And obviously everyone else says we kinda speak the same but the 3 of us are always mentioning the differences. The biggest one imo is the 'u' sound. I'd say 'Sooper Dooper Compooter' whereas a mackem would say 'Sewper Dewper Compewter'. But you can tell the difference even between North Shields and South Shieds with that example, although the difference being very slight. You dont have to go far to get small variations. And it exagerates as you go south.

I like the Boro example of 'Perple Werk Shert'. Whereas Id say 'Purple Wurk Shert'.

And (older) folk from ashington would say 'parple wark shart' while just ten miles up the road it'd be 'porple walk short'.

Always puts me in mind of the classic Ashington bloke at the doctor joke.

'I've hurt me leg'
'Can you still walk?'
'Work? Ah cannit even walk'

(with apologies to those unfamiliar with the dulcet tones of Ashington; I don't know that there's a way to render the joke phonetically)

I knew a lad from Sunderland who used to absolutely crease me impersonating the way folk from Newcastle said 'radiator', though it wasn't as funny as the way he said 'beeping' in his own accent

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 08:29:34 PM »

:lol: There's a big change but I still do hear similarities between the two. But bang on it changes markedly in no area at all. Like in 4 places, from say Manchester, Warrington, St Helens, Liverpool, there's just massive leaps. And then there's f***ing Wigan :lol:

Learned that Conor Coady was from St Helens the other day. Blew my mind he was a bad wool and wasn’t from deepest darkest Scouseland

Online cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 November 2020, 08:35:41 PM »
Branko's got me out here slowly mouthing those sentences to myself to hear the differences :lol: :lol:

:lol: That's what gave me the idea