Author Topic: Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure  (Read 435585 times)

wiseman, Gonzosgone, gjohnson, gdm and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
Re: Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure
« Reply #13850 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 01:38:00 PM »
This has been done to death. “Haway” was once as common as “Howay” amongst Toon fans. Some modern fans still use it.

There are reasonably recent photos of banners at St James Park with “Haway” the lads

EDIT: NPW, plus Stifler beat me to it :thup:
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler.

"I have heard lots of nonsense about tactics but the big thing is about showing pride and having a go." 29/09/19

Offline Choppy Chop Chop

« Reply #13851 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 01:38:57 PM »
Its Howhere anyway

Offline henke

• General Member
« Reply #13852 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 01:42:43 PM »
Who gives a f*** though, really?

Offline Collage

• General Member
« Reply #13853 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 01:43:48 PM »

The mackems, probably

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #13854 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 01:56:54 PM »
This has been done to death. “Haway” was once as common as “Howay” amongst Toon fans. Some modern fans still use it.

There are reasonably recent photos of banners at St James Park with “Haway” the lads

EDIT: NPW, plus Stifler beat me to it :thup:
Anyone who grew up on Tyneside knows that both phrases are used interchangeably within our vocabulary, even without the associations to football. In fact Haway is used more often than Howay. When you use it in an impatient context as it’s mostly designed for, it is spoken so fast and with a thick accent that you often can’t distinguish if Haway or Howay was said.

In my opinion the whole debate about who says it which way is done by people who have never used the phrases in it’s true meaning and are wanting to start a debate over it for the sake of a debate or the pointless attempt to lay claim over it.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #13855 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 02:17:46 PM »
We say it haway where I come from in Northumberland, definitely :)

Offline Consortium of one

• General Member
  • Connecticut, USA

Offline TRon

• General Member
« Reply #13857 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 02:27:50 PM »
To think I was actually happy that day but I did think they f***ed Fat Fred over at the time.

Fat Fred was an awful chairman, but we had probably been spoiled by having Hall's hand on the tiller before that. Even then, the best thing about Hall was he trusted Keegan to make the right calls. I never thought I would say it, but Ashley made Freddie look like a great chairman in hindsight. At least he had some personal attachment to the club, even if he was skimming a bit off the top.

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Leeds Leeds Leeds
« Reply #13858 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 02:29:02 PM »
Its howeh/haweh anyway
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Offline awaymag

« Reply #13859 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 02:32:03 PM »
We say it haway where I come from in Northumberland, definitely :)

I live in Northumberland, Alnmouth.   So Howay or Haway but actually hadaway and s****! :-)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #13860 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 02:40:51 PM »
Well I'm about ten miles inland from you in Longframlington and definitely haway here; the Alnwick and Rothbury influence is strong :)

Offline Wilson

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • The Mike, The.
« Reply #13861 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 02:55:58 PM »

The mackems, probably

In a post, on a Newcastle forum, with an active debate on it :lol:

I couldn't give a s**** either way, but

Its howeh/haweh anyway

:thup:

Offline POOT 2.0

• Release notes: Minor improvements and bug fixes!

Offline Pixelphish

• General Member
« Reply #13863 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 03:12:04 PM »
Welcome back POOT.
Aye. Just felt I did it at the same time as you and you came out tops every time. Just in a bad mood now after Pixelhax.

Have to get this out now:

Pixel you're either hacking with the demo, or you're too f***ing good to constantly hammer us to the ground with it every time we play. Starts to take the p*ss a bit. I mean, I don't want you to not enjoy the game, but at the same time I'd quite like to enjoy playing it too.

Offline POOT 2.0

« Reply #13864 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 03:25:40 PM »
Welcome back POOT.

:icon_salut: Hopefully fun times ahead, from a purely footballing point of view.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #13865 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 03:30:36 PM »
I received a text message from @Wullie while I was at work, informing me of the deal and telling me he’d just done a little “jig of delight” around his living room. :lol:

Don’t think he’s ever allowed himself to feel joy again. Lesson learned.

:lol:
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline toontownman

• General Member
« Reply #13866 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 03:39:04 PM »
This is the mental destination we are all heading, if we arent all there already.
Chris Hughton, simply the best manager we had from 2009-2010.

Offline Unbelievable!

• General Member
  • Adopted Geordie
« Reply #13867 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 03:50:33 PM »
POOT is back :indi:

Welcome back mate. Echo your hopes that good things are on the way

Offline number9shirt

• General Member
  • HWTF
« Reply #13868 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 03:53:24 PM »
One thing I like with Ashley's tenure. He sacked Fat f***ing Sam instead of having to hire him. Thank God.

Tried to get him last summer before Bruce.
That was the media getting 5 again. Allerdyce said his agent asked him if he was interested & he said no.
HOPE

Offline POOT 2.0

« Reply #13869 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 04:27:03 PM »
POOT is back :indi:

Welcome back mate. Echo your hopes that good things are on the way

Always been here, tbf :lol: Lurking like a creep :lol:

Still got the gift you bought me :smitten:

Offline Cristov

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13870 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 04:54:30 PM »
So I am the most relaxed about the takeover happening in a long while.   I think it will be Thursday next week (28th) when the announcement is made (just a hunch).  Most of the papers are either quiet or aligned to the takeover happening.  I wonder if the mail/times will do one more scare story for the Sunday headlines, just to get the clicks etc?

Anyway, this time next week we will hopefully have new owners and are recovering from the 'cans' extravagance of the past few days.   Really looking forward to hearing Amanda speak and start to share some plans for the future!!

Haway the Lads!

Cant wait to hear what she has to say. The first questions I would love to ask her is, why Newcastle and why she didn't give up and go after another club. I think she would have been within her rights to after Ashley called her out as a time waster.

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #13871 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 04:58:26 PM »
So I am the most relaxed about the takeover happening in a long while.   I think it will be Thursday next week (28th) when the announcement is made (just a hunch).  Most of the papers are either quiet or aligned to the takeover happening.  I wonder if the mail/times will do one more scare story for the Sunday headlines, just to get the clicks etc?

Anyway, this time next week we will hopefully have new owners and are recovering from the 'cans' extravagance of the past few days.   Really looking forward to hearing Amanda speak and start to share some plans for the future!!

Haway the Lads!

Cant wait to hear what she has to say. The first questions I would love to ask her is, why Newcastle and why she didn't give up and go after another club. I think she would have been within her rights to after Ashley called her out as a time waster.

Why not us? 8-9th most successful team in England and an owner open to offers. She went for Liverpool originally but owners were difficult to deal with.

Offline Cristov

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #13872 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 05:02:24 PM »

Haway the Lads!

Why not us? 8-9th most successful team in England and an owner open to offers. She went for Liverpool originally but owners were difficult to deal with.

Sorry, I didn't mean in a negative way. I think what i meant to say was, I want to hear what attracted her to us (The good stuff).

Offline TRon

• General Member
« Reply #13873 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 05:08:52 PM »

Haway the Lads!

Honestly think a lot of people don't appreciate how much of an impact Newcastle has on those who live further inland. It's just like the total opposite of London, not just in geography, but in general outlook. That's not to diss London either, plenty of people love it, and it's the capital city for a reason, but Newcastle has a bit more of a local feel to it.

Amanda probably has a lot of affinity for Liverpool because it is very tribal in a lot of ways, and Newcastle is similar. If you want to build a special football club which will have clout all around the world, Newcastle is as good as any for many reasons which we've been over before.

Offline My Silent Face

• General Member
  • County Durham
« Reply #13874 on: Saturday 23 May 2020, 05:23:36 PM »

Haway the Lads!

Because she's a massive mag man!