Author Topic: Sean Longstaff  (Read 125216 times)

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
Re: Sean Longstaff
« Reply #2000 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 05:18:11 PM »
It’s early, but glue factory it is.

Offline Rafalove

• General Member
  • Was summerof69
« Reply #2001 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 05:19:09 PM »
Thoughts on this plodders performance? I thought he put in one of the worst displays I have seen from a NUFC player for a while, ambling about with no urgency or effort and running in slow motion as well as passing to the other team. Horrendous player

Bit hyperbolic, but generally yes, he was poor. I'm not so sure he will make it in the championship tbh, he has okay technique when it comes to striking a ball but nothing else. Can't run, pass, tackle, protect possession, play in tight spaces, carry the ball... basically all the attributes important for a central midfielder.

Not that he’s scored much but I think he has a good shot.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #2002 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 05:25:17 PM »
Yeah, I mentioned in the quoted comment that he has okay technique when striking a ball. That's all I can credit him with from what he's shown us.
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Offline Abra Dubravka

• General Member
« Reply #2003 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 05:34:59 PM »
Rafa must have only elevated him to the side out of necessity surely. Merino was never replaced, and obviously not enough funds to go round the and fix the entire squad. CM was always threadbare so makes sense that Longstaff came into the start out of nowhere really at pretty late age really 21/22

That being said, with some actual coaching and playing in a side that knew what they we're doing he didn't look out of his depth. 

Offline Tsunami

• General Member
  • Ashley Out
« Reply #2004 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 05:35:14 PM »
At this level neither Longstaff is quick enough, certainly not quick enough to form a partnership. Matty looks like he could be a holding player in front of the defence, Sean needs a partner able to make runs; he looks like a player limited to operate 20 either side of the halfway line with the odd foray into the box.

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #2005 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 05:40:02 PM »
Sean makes Shelvey look quick

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #2006 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 05:43:00 PM »
Offers nothing.

Bet Mike is kicking himself not selling him to Man Utd to partner McPoyples in midfield

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #2007 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 05:53:56 PM »
He's been crap for ages now. I still have hope for Matty, but this guy just isn't good enough. Barely championship level.

Offline toon25

• General Member
« Reply #2008 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 05:55:45 PM »
Looking every inch like the typical NUFC youth product.  :thup: :thup: :thup:

Offline andyc35i

• General Member
« Reply #2009 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 06:02:48 PM »
I’m confused by what people are watching with each brother. They are both nowhere near the top level, but the criticism of Sean on here is a bit of a joke really.

Sean is far more athletic than Matty and actually does have a bit of recovery pace to get back into position after this stupid tactic of pressing blindly without any actual team plan to close the space between the lines. There are things in Sean’s game that can obviously improve upon and a good coach would help with that. I’m pretty certain that he actually covers the most ground in the entire 11 every time he plays.

I don’t understand why Matty is rated ahead of him, the only thing he offers is that he is more assured on the ball in tight situations, but that can be coached. Matty runs in slow motion, is typically out of position and offers nothing approve going forward - I accept that is a result of poor management and his role is not to support attacks.

The issues for brothers is again a lack of understanding of the strengths of the team overall by the coaching staff and the players you have to pick to make whatever plan (or no plan....) you have work.

Offline Rafalove

• General Member
  • Was summerof69
« Reply #2010 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 06:11:55 PM »
I don’t agree Matty offers nothing going forward generally I think he passes the ball well. I think in a different team he could get the odd goal too

Offline toon25

• General Member
« Reply #2011 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 06:17:34 PM »
Under the ‘management’ and ‘coaching’ of the fat c*** in the dugout, this is the best Longstaff there is

Offline CalmintheChaos

• General Member
  • Shildon, Co Durham
« Reply #2012 on: Sunday 3 January 2021, 06:27:14 PM »
Lets face it they are both championship level, if that in Sean's case, just like most our squad is championship level.

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #2013 on: Monday 4 January 2021, 12:05:38 PM »
Think people are harsh on both- they both are ok and would be better under a better coach
Follow me on twitter @tgarve

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #2014 on: Tuesday 5 January 2021, 07:24:52 AM »
If we’d sold him last summer, would Man U have also still bought Fernandes that January?
?s=21

Offline Smal

• General Member
  • Leeds/York
« Reply #2015 on: Tuesday 5 January 2021, 09:06:08 AM »
I don’t rate either highly at all, but playing in midfield in Bruce’s system is an impossible task, basically. Especially for those two. We’d be better off with a couple of highly athletic shuttler-types in there who can run around a lot.

Offline Whitley mag

• General Member
« Reply #2016 on: Sunday 31 January 2021, 05:36:24 AM »
His new agent Pini Zahavi at work, we really need to see if Jones can get him back to Rafa levels of form. Still think there’s a good player in there, be criminal if Bruce was allowed to pedal him.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-turn-down-sean-longstaff-23413013

Offline CalmintheChaos

• General Member
  • Shildon, Co Durham
« Reply #2017 on: Sunday 31 January 2021, 08:12:49 AM »
Yep we need to see him under our new manager first to judge him properly like f*** am I judging anyone under them Steve’s.

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #2018 on: Sunday 31 January 2021, 01:15:52 PM »
What’s the story behind him driving back from Villa in a car rather than returning on team bus?

Offline huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #2019 on: Sunday 31 January 2021, 08:35:04 PM »
What’s the story behind him driving back from Villa in a car rather than returning on team bus?

dunno but a couple of different articles mentioned a fall out some time in the last few weeks.
john gibson in the chronicle this afternoon;
"John Carver has talked of playing two up top in an effort to score goals, tactically be more direct to grind out points, and just about every other possibility known to man or beast. They are the ramblings of a drowning desperado."

Offline Disco

• Newcastle
« Reply #2020 on: Friday 5 February 2021, 10:40:49 AM »
Ruhrlyasleevesup